Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I guess I need a definition of menswear or #menswear because, from my perspective, those who either work in an industry requiring business/business casual attire or are just maturing will always be somewhat menswear forward. As mentioned, trends within the realm of meanswear will come and go, as expected, but i can't really imagine a time when wearing a well-fitting suit to a semi-formal event or even shirt and trousers casually is considered a faux pas.

My goal is to achieve a wardrobe that I would consider "timeless" in that I could wear something now or in 10 years without looking out of place. Of course, a wardrobe is progressive in nature as well, but there are certain pieces that never go out of style.

Menswear will never be a trend man, that *** is a lifestyle for a lot of people, what will come and go is the seasonals...take A for example, he's a fashionable kid, but he will never represent menswear like say Nii.....NiiDawg been on it since before A and will continue to be on it after A...the hype with suits has toned down a lot with him and others alike....2 years ago dude would use any excuse to throw on a suit, now he does it more exclusive to his job, that doesn't mean that MENSWEAR is a dying trend because dudes like him moved on....suits are essentials, not some seasonal camo print jumpsuit or some ****

And yes I agree, seems like the lux movement is the next thing on the horizon to pick up extra steam....I think eventually dudes will end up in the most basic of things, some denim, polo/tee/shirt and some lowkey kicks....keeping up with fashion takes a lot of ****** energy, is fun when you just looking after yourself, but when other things take control of your life that are far more important, not many can keep up....

9" fisherman gray stanton shorts online for $13 for those who missed out. saw some 484s for the low as well

Last edited:
Ain't you say you enjoy this type of talk? This is just the tip of the iceberg. We can talk about sourcing and labor too, boy boy.

I studied so many aspects of this field since 2012 when I wanted to launch my line.

This has existed longer than 2012

And styleforum and epaulet isn't where menswear started

So yes we can discuss it but your experience does not equate the history of menswear. It's the menswear that YOU know.

And elkin stop using your own experience as a barometer for trends. I'll give it to you doe. You took tombs to a new level lol jk

Last edited:
If styleforum is someone's barometer as to when menswear first became a "thing" then I don't know what to say.

I simply have no words.

Maybe i don't understand the terms or something but i really do not understand how "mens wear" is a trend?

Menswear is just a new term for anything that looks fashionably good (or assumed to be). Streetwear is more the sneakers and brands that coincide.

Theres trends in both, but they both wont ever go away.

[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Maybe i don't understand the terms or something but i really do not understand how "mens wear" is a trend?

Menswear was a trend, b. I like how Steezy made a whole post about Adrian but completely dismissed the fact that he was part of that train.
A wore a suit to go take a test. Elkin was out there doing wedding shoots wearing a better suit than the groom.
In that sense, it was a trend.

Some people suit up for work and for those it will never be a trend. Basic suiting pieces will forever be timeless but when you wear those things for reasons other than work or dressing up for the occasion I think that's what made it a trend.
I do agree it has died down some.

Last edited:
Long time no post. what up to the good brothers in here still holding it down. but yeah, menswear is a trend to people that are trendy. some of us in this thread never stopped copping fresh sneakers into adulthood, it was never a trend. just like how menswear isn't a trend. I feel like certain people get hip to something and od, leaving no room for what they used to be into.

Its funny that this debate is happening tho, i was in jury duty on Tuesday and this old dude asked me what this new slim neat look the young men were wearing. all that could come to mind was to tell him, "menswear".

Last edited:
So today, I'm at one of those shoe polishing places where you sit on a chair and the person polishes your shoes. It's like getting a hair cut for your shoes haha.

Snapped a pic for the beasts.

Menswear is just a new term for anything that looks fashionably good (or assumed to be). Streetwear is more the sneakers and brands that coincide.

Theres trends in both, but they both wont ever go away.

Menswear has been around a minute. My pops has been referring to mens suits to menswear since I was a child. He always told me to meet him in Menswear of Niemans when I was finished in the mall. I knew that was wherever the suits were.

Last edited:
You guys are correct that men wearing classic tailored clothing isn't a trend, because there has always been professionals that are required to wear such clothing. That is not a trend, that is a style of dress that has always been embraced.

Think about this though, 10 years ago if you walked into the Macy's suit department, you would think these are suits old dudes wear. They were baggy and unflattering. The menswear trend gave way to slim cut suits that appealed to a younger crowd. On IG you have parents dressing up their kids in 'dapper' clothing because that is the new trend and it gets them likes and recognition with fashion bloggers. You can walk into fast fashion stores in the mall that give you modern suiting options for <$100.

Pants are not a trend, but slim fitting, colored pants/chinos are a trend. I wonder when full-cut trousers will take over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom