Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I've severely slowed because my new job is doing a casual initiative for the summer months. It'll eventually switch back to more "business" clothing so as to not stand out as much, I limit my actual hashtag menswear-ing to around once a week.

Don't always have time to take pics though.
NAH CUZ SLP IS LIFE

@wj4

Why do you say that the menswear trend is out? If anything, things like bespoke suits are more mainstream and accessible than they've ever been. And what of the advent of resources such as The Shoe Snob Blog and Parisian Gentleman? 

The same kids that were on here salivating over Espos and Supreme SB dunks back in 2004 should now, in theory, be enjoying the finer things in life - Carmina and Crockett & Jones. 
laugh.gif

Where I live in Europe, people with less purchasing power than the average American consumer are much more mindful of the clothes they put on their backs. So if it's true that the menswear trend is in a slumber, then it's up to us, the self-proclaimed torch-bearers of sartorialism, to breathe life back into it. After all, you didn't buy all those Alfred Sargents and cardigans for nothing right? 
tongue.gif

That's my call to arms! Let's do it so that our children never have to know what an ill-fitting pair of trousers looks and feels like!  

(But really I just think it's too hot outside right now to throw on a sports jacket and tie.) 
laugh.gif

- Brovsko

Last edited:
Word it's too hot out. Think I had a sweat stain from my arm pit to my belt after walking around the food trucks for lunch.

Side note: what deodorant yall use?

Hottest day of the summer so far...but thankfully I have not had to leave the office once today. Plus my parking garage is only half a block up so seeing heat is quite minimal :smile:

*puts hoodie on over blazer*

@wj4

Why do you say that the menswear trend is out? If anything, things like bespoke suits are more mainstream and accessible than they've ever been. And what of the advent of resources such as The Shoe Snob Blog and Parisian Gentleman? 

The same kids that were on here salivating over Espos and Supreme SB dunks back in 2004 should now, in theory, be enjoying the finer things in life - Carmina and Crockett & Jones. :lol:

Where I live in Europe, people with less purchasing power than the average American consumer are much more mindful of the clothes they put on their backs. So if it's true that the menswear trend is in a slumber, then it's up to us, the self-proclaimed torch-bearers of sartorialism, to breathe life back into it. After all, you didn't buy all those Alfred Sargents and cardigans for nothing right? :tongue:

That's my call to arms! Let's do it so that our children never have to know what an ill-fitting pair of trousers looks and feels like!  

(But really I just think it's too hot outside right now to throw on a sports jacket and tie.) :lol:

- Brovsko
Menswear trend is definitely out. I don't follow the trend and I used to take daily pictures even back with the original thread when cats called me gay for wearing a tie with a tie bar. I leave the house at 6am now and at my current job I don't dress up anymore so that's why I only post pics on weekends.

It peaked couple years ago, this was when this thread was in full motion. Everyone wanted to do menswear. It still has some power left hence kids still love to dress "dapper". The in thing now are elongated tee shirts and lux sneakers.

I don't think menswear is out now. And I don't think lux sneakers are the in thing either.

I agree with what brovsko brovsko said. You get over one thing that's hyped and move on to something more mature. NTers are always gonna want the dopest gear. I think it's more of a personal discovery thing with the individual. You get over Jordan's and then you want some dope high end kicks. Or you stop wearing street wear, get a job, and start "dressing better". Cuz you a NTer you always gonna be fly and want the nicest (sometimes hyped) stuff. But your tastes change so you move into new styles.

Menswear and lux kicks always gonna be around. Word to Robert Downey Jr. Peeps are just gonna get in where they fit in with what stage of life they at.

Last edited:
I don't think menswear is out now. And I don't think lux sneakers are the in thing either.

I agree with what brovsko brovsko said. You get over one thing that's hyped and move on to something more mature. NTers are always gonna want the dopest gear. I think it's more of a personal discovery thing with the individual. You get over Jordan's and then you want some dope high end kicks. Or you stop wearing street wear, get a job, and start "dressing better". Cuz you a NTer you always gonna be fly and want the nicest (sometimes hyped) stuff. But your tastes change so you move into new styles.

Menswear and lux kicks always gonna be around. Word to Robert Downey Jr. Peeps are just gonna get in where they fit in with what stage of life they at.

90% of NT'ers can't dress though :lol:

Take a look at the WDYWT threads. Granted there is a small corner of this website with some kind of fashion sense.

Last edited:
90% of NT'ers can't dress though :lol:

Take a look at the WDYWT threads. Granted there is a small corner of this website with some kind of fashion sense.
Very true. Word to spending your life savings on grails and wearing them with Bugle Boy jeans.

I was taking cue as a whole from the fashion world. Nick Wooster doesn't even menswear often anymore and this is the guy that kids look up to. I think he tried or is trying to get into streetwear. Even brands like Epaulet saw a dip in sales once the popularity of menswear peaked and lowered a bit.

Last edited:
Well actually wj4 wj4 might have a point. He knows more about these things than me. If there has been a dip in sales amongst menswear brands and influencers are abandoning the scene maybe the "trend" has died down. But like dude above me said I don't think you could ever call menswear a "trend" since it's so permanent.

I remember kids in here used to suit up just to go to college classes though. That was prolly the height of the "trend" when beasts just wanted to be dapper. I see it now.

Menswear isn't a trend smh
Menswear is classic wear but it got caught on with the youth in the mid 2000s heavy. This was when skinny ties and lapels came back in. GQ was recommending to size down one size in jacket for a fitted look. The same magazine recommended sizing up one in the 90s for a "power" look.

Everything is a trend and comes in and out of style for the youth. Jerseys, anyone? Though the cuts are now slimmer, the same joints that were hot during the golden days of the 90s and early 2000s are trending again. I'm sure M&N saw their sales spiked in the recent years too. And I'm sure the hardcore jersey guys will say it's not a trend.

Another example would be the popularity of MA1 jackets. The only folks that wore them around here were the skinheads with the Doc Martins in high school. Note that skinheads is used to refer to the original term of British youth.

Ok that I agree w.
I'd love to discuss specific things like that.

Also, athletic/leisure sportswear has been huge which I don't mind

Menswear trend is definitely out. I don't follow the trend and I used to take daily pictures even back with the original thread when cats called me gay for wearing a tie with a tie bar. I leave the house at 6am now and at my current job I don't dress up anymore so that's why I only post pics on weekends.

It peaked couple years ago, this was when this thread was in full motion. Everyone wanted to do menswear. It still has some power left hence kids still love to dress "dapper". The in thing now are elongated tee shirts and lux sneakers.
I see what you're saying but I don't quite agree. I don't buy nice clothes and shoes because i think it's trendy. I'm an adult so I dress like one. I don't want to look like a dope when I go out to dinner or to see a show. You know the saying "your clothing should reflect your ambition" (or something like that)? I believe that holds true. The way you look is the first thing people notice about you before you even open your mouth, and we are a judgmental species. Maybe the NTers that influenced this thread don't post here anymore but I don't think they stopped dressing well. Styleforum is still alive. If anything, it's expanded. Maybe menswear as a fad has simmered a bit but ultimately, I view it as more of a lifestyle. 

- Brovsko

I see what you're saying but I don't quite agree. I don't buy nice clothes and shoes because i think it's trendy. I'm an adult so I dress like one. I don't want to look like a dope when I go out to dinner or to see a show. You know the saying "your clothing should reflect your ambition" (or something like that)? I believe that holds true. The way you look is the first thing people notice about you before you even open your mouth, and we are a judgmental species. Maybe the NTers that influenced this thread don't post here anymore but I don't think they stopped dressing well. Styleforum is still alive. If anything, it's expanded. Maybe menswear as a fad has simmered a bit but ultimately, I view it as more of a lifestyle. 

- Brovsko
I'm referring to the youth, my man. I'm 29 and I'm sure you're around my age if not older. I dress like you for the most part. I have a double rider here and there.

SF is big and getting bigger. I talked to Fok about his business plan since I was curious due to the fact that they actually have physical office now and is flying staff to Pitti and Toyko to cover events. SF is NOT about trends. They been into lux kicks and skirts way before Rocky made it cool for today's youth.

I attribute trends or hype to the kids. I'm sure you'll wear menswear until the end of time as that's traditional menswear. I'm probably going to do the same.

Ok that I agree w.
I'd love to discuss specific things like that.

Also, athletic/leisure sportswear has been huge which I don't mind
Being a business minded person, that's all I do really. Biggest reason why I love talking to other entrepreneurs.

Don't be dissing the stonewash nt denim in the wdywt thread. I kinda respect it though. It's their style and they don't care if they look cool. I told myself i'd never wear stretchy, jeggings kind of pants but I found some that are basically sweatpants that look like jeans and they're perfect to wear when getting lapdances.

Last edited:
Im more of a workwear/Americana guy.

But what I do like is DBNT getting the wheels rolling again

The fads won't affect everyone.

But skinny *** lapels and tie bars and felt flowers and excessive matching....all of that stuff hit me man.

But I've now grown past it to a different spectrum of menswear. That's how the trends have faded, at least for me.

^Trends WITHIN menswear are evident. I see what you're saying. But menswear itself as a trend is ludicrous.

The fads won't affect everyone.

But skinny *** lapels and tie bars and felt flowers and excessive matching....all of that stuff hit me man.

But I've now grown past it to a different spectrum of menswear. That's how the trends have faded, at least for me.
I can only what it would be like if Classic Man was to drop a couple of years ago when it peaked. Jidenna prob would've got sponsored from the vid :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom