Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Any suggestions on a grey or navy blazer that I can rock with jeans. Trying not to spend more than $200.

I have a few different chinos, grey, navy, and brown. I have quite a few colors of ocbd as well. Only thing about my blazer game is I only have thicker ones for the winter. Might go cop a lighter blazer since I was going to get some new socks + belts. I interviewed with the company on a casual friday so I couldn't really peep what else everyone was wearing.

You're going to a civil engineering firm right? More than likely the folks in your office will be wearing polo shirts and khakis, especially if it's hot where you live. At my office during the summer the only time any kind of long sleeve dress shirt is worn during the summer is if there's a meeting with a client/the county. But like he said it wouldn't hurt to be safe since you can take the jacket off. Grats on the gig too don't think I congratulated you in the engineering thread

jon4rd jon4rd

thanks fam. you're correct, starting my career on monday at a civil eng. firm!

I'll bring a blazer with just in case and peel it off if it's too much. It's supposed to be 90ish on monday so uhhh :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for the congratulations bros. Planning and organizing a destination wedding isn't easy. we got married in Prague with my relatives/friends traveling from the U.S. and my wife's relatives/friends coming from Russia and Georgia. Worth it in the end, though.

To dinner tonight:

- Brovsko

jon4rd jon4rd

thanks fam. you're correct, starting my career on monday at a civil eng. firm!

I'll bring a blazer with just in case and peel it off if it's too much. It's supposed to be 90ish on monday so uhhh :lol:
At my last place in biotech, I worked with some of the brightest engineers and I swear they were sponsored by BR :lol: they rock the chinos so much joints had whiskers and fades.

Does Nordstrom's Anniversary sale get progressively better? meaning do the discounts increase?

Does Nordstrom's Anniversary sale get progressively better? meaning do the discounts increase?

I'm pretty sure the prices go back up to normal actually. IIRC, prices only go down during their semi-annual sales and until the product sells out/gets sent to Nordstrom Rack. Don't quote me on that second part though.

I'm pretty sure the prices go back up to normal actually. IIRC, prices only go down during their semi-annual sales and until the product sells out/gets sent to Nordstrom Rack. Don't quote me on that second part though.
Correct.

Thinking about getting a pair of those for myself soon. How long did shipping take?
Depends on the size. You tender the transaction. They will email you in several days to let you know if in stock or not. If in stock, you pay and they ship within a couple days. You'll get them a week later. Do it. Super comfy. For $200 roughly it's a dope deal.

Put two pairs through today to use for work. Can't rock BR chukkas no more. There falling apart since having them since 2009.

Last edited:
Guys on a typical day in a business casual workplace, if you wear a blazer, do you wear a pocket square? If so, always? Should it only be the subtle straight fold? Should it not be patterned?

Essentially, what's the protocol for pocket squares in a business casual setting? Does the same apply to a casual business environment that also allows denim?

I was discussing this with a couple friends and we all had different opinions. Just wondered what the consensus is here.

Also, wj4 wj4 that chocolate brown pair looks nice. Is that full pebble grain leather? Those are Meermin as well?

Last edited:
Guys on a typical day in a business casual workplace, if you wear a blazer, do you wear a pocket square? If so, always? Should it only be the subtle straight fold? Should it not be patterned?

Essentially, what's the protocol for pocket squares in a business casual setting? Does the same apply to a casual business environment that also allows denim?

I was discussing this with a couple friends and we all had different opinions. Just wondered what the consensus is here.
crisp fold, prob white.

lapel flower

Lapel flower? I didn't expect that. I thought that may come off as 'trying too hard' perhaps, no? I like the look but have never worn one.

Lapel flower? I didn't expect that. I thought that may come off as 'trying too hard' perhaps, no? I like the look but have never worn one.
i wear very subtle ones made by one of the DBNT guys. ill try to find a pic on my IG

Oh, yeah I remember those.
Made of felt right? Those are nice.

I've seen many people wear the Lanvin pins.
I haven't seen a felt one worn in person- only photos.
I could imagine it's even more subtle.

Also, wj4 wj4 that chocolate brown pair looks nice. Is that full pebble grain leather? Those are Meermin as well?
Both are Meermin shoes. You can get more info from their sites. I just want a cheap pair at less than $200 each.

I always wear pocket square with a jacket unless I have just a t shirt under.

ditch the flower.

I always have a square in. blazer or suit jacket. proper shirt or tee lol.

tbh, I think even business casual, you can rock any square. patterns (silks as I do not prefer patterned cotton/linen) are more casual than the TV fold white linen so aim more for that.

ditch the flower.

tbh, I think even business casual, you can rock any square. patterns (silks as I do not prefer patterned cotton/linen) are more casual than the TV fold white linen so aim more for that.
This with square toe shoes are signs that you can tell who dresses up because they want to or because they have to. I've been noticing this at my current place since certain departments are required to suit up daily.

ditch the flower.

Yeah, I've never worn a blazer/suit without a pocket square. TV fold linen/cotton squares (such that the tips show, if it's tipped) and slight puff the silk squares.

My boy says it's too flashy[tacky] for business casual. *Ye shrug*

I need someone to point me in the direction of a nice pair of slim fitting slacks in Grey, Navy and Black. I know tailoring will be needed. Thanks.

I need someone to point me in the direction of a nice pair of slim fitting slacks in Grey, Navy and Black. I know tailoring will be needed. Thanks.
Not sure what your build or price point is.

If you're a slim or skinny cat, J. Crew Ludlow slim is money. I take 31 with no tailoring needed at all. Epaulet is also great but pricier.

Budget minded I'd suggest J Crew Bowery pants. Just got a pair of the classic over the weekend and really like them. Especially at the price. They make a slim version as well but I haven't tried them

Uniqlo and Lands End cost a little less. The vintage chino from Uniqlo and tailored fit from Lands End, neither are exactly slim but they fit very well and the materials are nice for the price too.

Budget minded I'd suggest J Crew Bowery pants. Just got a pair of the classic over the weekend and really like them. Especially at the price. They make a slim version as well but I haven't tried them

Uniqlo and Lands End cost a little less. The vintage chino from Uniqlo and tailored fit from Lands End, neither are exactly slim but they fit very well and the materials are nice for the price too.
Difference between classic and slim is minute. It's mostly the leg opening taper. I have both and not picky at $25-30 a pop for work.

Back
Top Bottom