Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Couple of pick-ups with the Tom's and Aldo's. Speaking of camo here's the hankie from Michael's. Although not pick ups per-say got a few things back from my alterations lady. She does great work and her prices are great. I had 7 pants hemmed, 2 pants let out, 1 of them with side-adjusters sewn in, all for $50.

Tom's are wool and lined with fleece,, the Aldo's are canvas grayish green...paid $11 for those only

In addition a WDYW...yesterday

Speaking of Tom's shoes, there was a heavy debate about it in my Ethics Leadership course last night. The shoes are made in Argentina, China, and Ethiopia and it costs about $3 per pair to make, even with the buy 1 give 1 mantra, the owner is making $$$. Some people thought it was unethical of him to be misleading. I thought what I have been thinking and stating all along...he found a great niche and capitalized on it. This has nothing to do with the thread, sorry for the derailment :lol:

Speaking of Tom's shoes, there was a heavy debate about it in my Ethics Leadership course last night. The shoes are made in Argentina, China, and Ethiopia and it costs about $3 per pair to make, even with the buy 1 give 1 mantra, the owner is making $$$. Some people thought it was unethical of him to be misleading. I thought what I have been thinking and stating all along...he found a great niche and capitalized on it. This has nothing to do with the thread, sorry for the derailment :lol:

Lol but a good point, which honestly at the end of the day speaking to the original point, everything nowadays is made in countries where it is extremely cheap to manufacture goods.

I'm no Eiddy, but I played with layering tonight. This denim jacket will get a lot of spins in fall/winter:

Levis trucker is the standard tho.
I've never tried the slim trucker

I copped one from UO, to use the measurements for the TOJ1 I ordered. It fits alot better than the regular one, but still boxy. I may re-cop and have it tailored.

Last edited:
Levis trucker is the standard tho.
I've never tried the slim trucker
I never paid attention to the fit, but the Levi's I bought from Macy's about 3 years ago fit true to size, while the made in USA collection with Brooks Bros ran small and I had to size up.

Nicer ones:
Lesser cost ones can be found at J. Crew in a wide range of colors.
Thanks, Serg and Ly!

Can you explain what you mean by nicer ones? Like other than being able to afford luxory brands and how Sarteaga said if it fits properly it can make a $50 pair look like $150. Is it like brand loyalty or something? I wouldnt mind saving up, I just need to see the worth.

On another note, that whole thing with Toms on how cheap it is to make them and they still charge around 60 dollars when most other espadrilles cost around 30 or 40. So they arent really giving another pair, your technically buying the other pair. Obviously nothing wrong because its for a good cause.

I copped one from UO, to use the measurements for the TOJ1 I ordered. It fits alot better than the regular one, but still boxy. I may re-cop and have it tailored.

I like the overall fit of the slim trucker, the only complaint I have is the sleeves are a bit loose but if I roll up the sleeves, it gets too tight because of how thick it is so getting it slimmer won't allow me to do that.

I highly recommend it, best denim jacket for under $100 w/o a doubt. Comes in different washes too.

Received the Topman wool coat, got to say, it fits nice and slim. Quality isn't the greatest but it is thick and should get a handful of wears in the cold SoCal weather. :lol:
I still like it though and will likely keep it. Not bad for $180, better quality than H&M and Zara.
10568783.bmp

10568845.bmp
10568929.bmp

Received the Topman wool coat, got to say, it fits nice and slim. Quality isn't the greatest but it is thick and should get a handful of wears in the cold SoCal weather. :lol:
I still like it though and will likely keep it. Not bad for $180, better quality than H&M and Zara.
10568783.bmp

10568845.bmp
10568929.bmp

Good looking coat, do you have a link?

hey NT Fam, I got homecoming coming up this weekend and I need help finding a dress shirt to match with my date. She's wearing a semiformal black dress with a mocha brown belt. I was thinking a white dress shirt but I thought that would be too plain...anyone?

hey NT Fam, I got homecoming coming up this weekend and I need help finding a dress shirt to match with my date. She's wearing a semiformal black dress with a mocha brown belt. I was thinking a white dress shirt but I thought that would be too plain...anyone?

I am a believer in asking women for color combinations. Ask your date if you can. I just believe women are just better with colors than men.

Thanks guys, I've been looking at the slim fit Levi's trucker jackets. Quick question, which color looks the best? Can't really tell from the pics online. I was leaning towards the dark summit. Also, is it a good fit? Don't want it skin tight but not loose and sloppy looking.

What do you mean match with your date? Honestly stick to a white plain shirt and wear a black tie. I don't know about matching, matching, your date.

Can anyone give me a comparison of the alpha khaki to the 484 j crew. :nerd:

Last edited:
Can you explain what you mean by nicer ones? Like other than being able to afford luxory brands and how Sarteaga said if it fits properly it can make a $50 pair look like $150. Is it like brand loyalty or something? I wouldnt mind saving up, I just need to see the worth.
On another note, that whole thing with Toms on how cheap it is to make them and they still charge around 60 dollars when most other espadrilles cost around 30 or 40. So they arent really giving another pair, your technically buying the other pair. Obviously nothing wrong because its for a good cause.
Higher quality material. Not all cotton, wool, etc. are created equally. Usually better hardware as well, ie the zipper is better, and not as flimsy. The Rag and Bone I linked is crafted in USA, which commands higher labor, than J. Crew's stuff which is made in China.

It all comes down to you. While the Levi's 511's I posted fit me great, when you touch the trousers and compare to another one that's more $$, you can feel the difference. Not to say that the more $$$ stuff is completely worth the price, because it's probably not. Luxury/higher end stuff has a high profit margin as well so it's really your call.

Girlslovewaffles: I just noticed your sig, congrats on your biz, man! Always love to see entrepreneurs. Hopefully I'll be able to stop by your truck sometimes. :D

I'm no Eiddy, but I played with layering tonight. This denim jacket will get a lot of spins in fall/winter:

heheh, I feel honored.

That's a pretty nice sweater you have there, and I still need a denim jacket of that color.

One thing I've been pretty bad it when purchasing for layers is roundnecks. My sweaters are always V's. I've put a halt on all v-purchases until I get my roundneck game back in check.

Can anyone give me a comparison of the alpha khaki to the 484 j crew.
nerd.gif
I would say the 484 is a good bit slimmer.  The alpha khaki will also break in more imo.  The J crew are slightly better quality/heavier material imo

Back
Top Bottom