Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

What about folks that are fans of whoever. My favorite players of all time are WIll Bynum, Mark Price, TJ Ford, Marcus Banks, and Keyon Dooling.

Have I been robbed of the real sports experience as well?
Cmon g I think most of us here are Jordan fans

Doesn’t mean we don’t have our TEAM we actually root for and such.

I hated Jordan growing up. They always put out the Cavs and I "hated" him for it.

Those early 90s Cavs teams were my teams.
That’s cool

My point still stands

Respecting and liking the greats or great players shouldn’t mean you are only a fan of them and not of a team. It just shows that you have no interest in actually partaking in being a fan of that sport. You just want to see winning and the best player at the time

Yea I can't agree with that point at all.

If you are spending your time WATCHING (most important thing) you are clearly a fan of the sport.

Being a fan of a TEAM vs. Individuals has no bearing on that.

But we can agree to disagree.

Idk about that being the "truest" experience, but riding with a team through mediocrity to finally, get that right draft pick or trade pick up and for it pay off in a chip is an unmatched feeling. That 2006 Miami run was magical for me. I was already a D Wade fan from watching him play at Marquette and I had just moved to Houston...

Antoniobanderas GIFs | Tenor

Memories.

If the only/true basketball fan experience is to be emotionally attached to a team year in / year out while experiencing emotional drainage from watching the sport then yall can have it.

I think it's a silly argument to be honest.
I don’t think it’s the ONLY experience, but IMO it is the true/best experience and the way it should be experienced.

The payoff when your team finally wins is so satisfying and you feel like you’re a part of something bigger, thus why they do the 6th man stuff and such.

I see your point I just think actually picking a team and riding with them til you win a chip is the best way to actually experience being a fan of said sport.

You said it's the truest form of being a fan of the sport which indirectly says any other form isn't legitimate. We don't have to play the wordplay game.

Using words like, "That's how it should be" is just funny.

Either way, it's a wild claim.

Are there "player fans" in sports other than basketball? Always thought of it as a NBA thing

Being a fan of a team is preferable imo but not something you can force yourself into

I am trying to imagine "just picking a team" as a grown adult and cannot

Are there "player fans" in sports other than basketball? Always thought of it as a NBA thing

Being a fan of a team is preferable imo but not something you can force yourself into

Messi
Ronaldo

I promise it’s not that deep g

I don’t watch Hockey but I know that based on location I’m a Sharks fan. If I want to go against the grain I’ll follow my hockey fan friends and be a Philly Flyers fan.

Quite literally just pick the closest team to you or if you have a friend who is into said sport, choose their team and integrate in.

I am a Cubs/Bulls/Bears fan, but there are a few other teams I root for, and players that I like. I think following players around to different teams is a more modern issue, since they are more likely to follow bigger contracts to new teams in the modern era (for better or worse). I'm a big Jimmy Butler fan, and I always root for him to do well, but I didn't necessarily root for the Timberwolves when he was there. I don't know how many Patrick Ewing fans became Raptors fans when he went there. I am/was a Jordan fanatic, and watched and enjoyed the Wizards when he was there, but I never really rooted for them.

Being exclusively a fan of one team can take away from the experience at times as well. For instance, for me, I'm not a huge football fan but root for the Bears. They haven't exactly had great playoff success in the last 4 decades, so I think that has, in some ways, contributed to me caring less about football in general. I might watch a good chunk of half the Cubs games through the season, which leaves little time to pay attention to other teams, and especially to any American League play (especially before the more balanced schedule started), so this past World Series matchup was between two teams I cared little about and new even less about, so I was really just enjoying it for the love of the game and the players I knew from their previous teams.

Different strokes though.

Silly argument either way, but being a fan of a individual, instead of a team is wild :lol:
ADVERTISEMENT​

Any particular reason why that's wild?
You don't think it would be wild for a grown man to be a fan of Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry and be fans exclusively of whatever team they currently play for?
They could just be a fan of the player and not whichever team they go to. I love Cp3 but I don't automatically become a fan of whichever team he signs with.

Same with any other player I messed with over the years.

Last edited:
I promise it’s not that deep g

I don’t watch Hockey but I know that based on location I’m a Sharks fan. If I want to go against the grain I’ll follow my hockey fan friends and be a Philly Flyers fan.

Quite literally just pick the closest team to you or if you have a friend who is into said sport, choose their team and integrate in.

Only makes sense to me if you’re new to a sport/just started following it

Watched NBA all my life and nothing will make me permanently care about any of these teams

Just failing to see how essentially randomly picking a team is preferable to pulling for teams you like the roster of year to year

That’s cool

My point still stands

Respecting and liking the greats or great players shouldn’t mean you are only a fan of them and not of a team. It just shows that you have no interest in actually partaking in being a fan of that sport. You just want to see winning and the best player at the time

i remember lakers fans from both norcal & socal tried to shame other people by saying this up to 2012 and then somehow they stopped watching basketball or became warriors fans all of a sudden

it's always the one who can't actually hoop for sum reason. not saying that i would respek one's opinion more if they can actually hoop but i found that interesting

no shots at you btw

The idea that you can't have multiple teams or take on a new (temporary) one after yours is eliminated is ludicrous

team sports > individual

But as time progresses the individual aspect is more appealing and I think generates more profit

Back
Top Bottom