Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

When a man explains something to a woman and the woman takes as if she doesn't understand because she's a woman. So basically, the difference between explaining and "mansplaining" is how the woman feels about how you're explaining whatever to her.

But it's also done in a condescending tone. That's the part that makes it a mansplain.

But it's also done in a condescending tone. That's the part that makes it a mansplain.
I don’t believe the condescending tone is a requirement. I’ve heard a woman say someone was “mansplaining” for simply explaining something to them, even when trying to simply be helpful.

I’ve always heard that men are natural problem solvers.. it’s our instinct. So when someone (man or woman) doesn’t know something that we do, I think we see it as a problem and try to help “solve it” by giving them information to understand whatever that is. In our mind, they then understand and now the problem is solved, or at the very least, they’re on their way to solving it themselves now with the information.

Nowadays if anyone IRL doesn’t know something I try to stay away from helping or explaining unless directly asked. Women get offended but soft shell men also get in their feelings. Especially if you help them in front of their wives.

I don’t believe the condescending tone is a requirement. I’ve heard a woman say someone was “mansplaining” for simply explaining something to them, even when trying to simply be helpful.

I’ve always heard that men are natural problem solvers.. it’s our instinct. So when someone (man or woman) doesn’t know something that we do, I think we see it as a problem and try to help “solve it” by giving them information to understand whatever that is. In our mind, they then understand and now the problem is solved, or at the very least, they’re on their way to solving it themselves now with the information.

Nowadays if anyone IRL doesn’t know something I try to stay away from helping or explaining unless directly asked. Women get offended but soft shell men also get in their feelings. Especially if you help them in front of their wives.

I'm saying that ACTUAL definition says it's done in a condescending manner.

Now how people abuse the word isn't the fault of the word itself.

But yes, I have heard women use it in the manner tr1ll tr1ll stated above.

When a man explains something to a woman and the woman takes as if she doesn't understand because she's a woman. So basically, the difference between explaining and "mansplaining" is how the woman feels about how you're explaining whatever to her.
Fixed. 👀

I get it. I'm around women a lot and I gotta talk softer because I scare the **** outta some when I'm angry or excited lol

ALL of that!!!

I get it. I'm around women a lot and I gotta talk softer because I scare the **** outta some when I'm angry or excited lol
I have to move with a constant :smile: on my face, or people around me get intimidated :lol:

If I'm not making jokes and being fun people automatically think something's wrong.

I have to move with a constant :smile: on my face, or people around me get intimidated :lol:

If I'm not making jokes and being fun people automatically think something's wrong.
You in behavioral health too? Not gona front, some women get excited and say "you crazy" with the F me look :lol::nerd:

2 weeks ago, I Had a co-worker ask our supervisor, "Why is he always so stoic with me." (About me)

Super girly Honduran woman.

Supervisor told her, "That's just how he is."

Why should I be any different towards you? :lol:

Not to mansplain mansplaining but the egregious ones are men explaining things to women when the women are the experts. So some dude who has never so much as written a page, trying to explain something to an author with several books out. Or women who have Ph.D.'s in a topic and some layperson decides he wants to explain something about her field to her. It really does get ridiculous :lol:

That said, to at least some extent some of this is just men being dumb AF. So you have NBA players making millions, studying film, been in the league 10 years, all stars, whatever, and some 20-year-old on a message board says "Why don't you just do x! You're trash". And in the same vein, a whole host of men SWEAR they would "destroy" some role player on an NBA team, when I hope by now we've all seen the Scalabrine videos or other videos and know that no, you would absolutely get wiped off the face of the earth by an NBA player, you keyboard warrior :emoji_laughing:

But yeah, it's tied into that irrational sense of confidence a lot of guys get when trying to act like they know something about something, when in reality half of it is pulled out of their *** or it's wildly oversimplifying things to the point its clear you don't have a good grasp (ie not just dumbing it down on purpose) and you should just say you don't know or make it clear you don't rather than trying to pipe up.

Now THAT said, the origins of that may be from years, at least from my experience, of the culture of manhood believing and training you that speaking up and saying anything is better than just sitting there.

But if it makes you feel some kind of way, just view it the same way you view American society and racism. You know we live in a racist society, so regardless of who you are, you're going to get socialized to do or think racist things, and you need to constantly self-correct. So if you mansplain something and get called out on it, okay, try to be better, just like if you say something that's ableist, sexist, transphobic etc. Nobody's perfect and we are hopefully all trying to get better. View it as state vs trait and keep it pushin.

2 weeks ago, I Had a co-worker ask our supervisor, "Why is he always so stoic with me." (About me)

Super girly Honduran woman.

Supervisor told her, "That's just how he is."

Why should I be any different towards you? :lol:
lol Hispanic women don't be caring about those social issues. A girl I work with pretty much said, "Nah...flirt with me." :lol:

I think you guys are missing the scenario of when a girl thinks she's an expert on a topic when in reality she doesn't know anything & just reasoning with her feelings. And when a guy explains to her why she's completely wrong, she gets butthurt about getting "mansplained" to.

I think you guys are missing the scenario of when a girl thinks she's an expert on a topic when in reality she doesn't know anything & just reasoning with her feelings. And when a guy explains to her why she's completely wrong, she gets butthurt about getting "mansplained" to.
I feel like this is most of the times this occurs.

:rofl: Good one

Buying someone clothes as a gift is a really dumb idea unless they’re under the age of 5 or they’ve explicitly expressed interest in a certain item of clothing.

For the past 2 years my fiancée’s mom has bought me cashmere sweaters for Christmas but they’re colors I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing (salmon and cream). My fiancée thinks I should wear them at least once to not be rude. I think her mom should stop buying me things that look nothing like the things I normally wear. :lol:

Buying someone clothes as a gift is a really dumb idea unless they’re under the age of 5 or they’ve explicitly expressed interest in a certain item of clothing.

For the past 2 years my fiancée’s mom has bought me cashmere sweaters for Christmas but they’re colors I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing (salmon and cream). My fiancée thinks I should wear them at least once to not be rude. I think her mom should stop buying me things that look nothing like the things I normally wear. :lol:

100% agree.

YEARS ago, me and my boys had this debate.

One of my boys' girl bought him a dumb sweater for Christmas and he didn't like it.

Another one of my boys called him ungrateful because of it and said the same thing your girl said. "Just wear it for her sake. It's not that serious." - :lol:

I agree with your point completely. It's usually women buying men stuff that they don't want.

One time I was talking to a girl on Bumble and religion came up. I mentioned how I don’t think atheism and agnosticism are mutually-exclusive concepts and she asked me what I meant by that, so I explained further.

She then accused me of “mansplaining” and unmatched me. :lol::smh:

I never understood this either

If it’s something you know for certain is their style, in their preferred color palette, etc.. give it a shot with a gift receipt and no harm no foul.

I directly say “if you want to get me clothes for Christmas I accept underwear and socks, please let me know and I’ll send you exactly what I prefer” cause my mother in law and sis in laws want something easy to get me

100% agree.

YEARS ago, me and my boys had this debate.

One of my boys' girl bought him a dumb sweater for Christmas and he didn't like it.

Another one of my boys called him ungrateful because of it and said the same thing your girl said. "Just wear it for her sake. It's not that serious." - :lol:

I agree with your point completely. It's usually women buying men stuff that they don't want.
It’s very obvious she has a vision in her head of how she wants me to dress and she thinks gifting me the clothing is the way to go about it.

Not interested in dressing like a Long Island yuppie or letting a middle-aged woman with bad taste dictate my wardrobe.

I love receiving clothes as gifts from my friends and family because they actually care or know about what I like :lol:

I would have no qualms about asking for a gift receipt for a salmon sweater

The holidays are fun for kiddos, gals, those in relationships, and those with healthy family ties.
The less of those 4 criteria someone meets, the harder the holiday season is.
I'm waiting for the holiday season to be done (Valentine's, aka National Women In A Relationship Day).

Back
Top Bottom