Destiny Thread (Bungie) - 9/9/14

I'm just wondering how people found out how to actually begin this quest line. It seems like people had to de-code some type of message that was found on bungie.net.

Obviously spoilers ahead.

I'm not going to get specific with times or usernames because my memory is piss poor, but here goes.

Owl Sector/"SIM" : A couple of days ago (or more), people noticed that the owlsector.bungie.net website had a new line of text at the top that was also a link. "5552585355". Those numbers were also found in the URL linked by Bungie to the "world's first" raid winners for RoI. Clicking the link lead to https://www.bungie.net/en/net/sim. That website showed us a SIVA symbol, and spat our a bunch of information. A node (5 symbols), an "information forwarding protocol", a "processing key", a "processing initialization vector", a wall of garbled text, and the lines "Node sensors have detected unprocessed information [Rijndael-AES-CBC]" and "Local resources insufficient to process data. Increase resources by combining processing keys with 7 other nodes, per Forwarding Protocol.".

The "raid tier" data collection/analyzing : So after organizing some people to start brainstorming, it became clear that this was intended to be a "crowdsourced" ARG. We were going to have to use a lot of other people's data. After a lot of iteration/attempts at different things, one user finally realized the correct method of chaining together "nodes" (it involves working backwards from your forwarding protocol to find the previous "node" edit : you apply all subsequent forwarding protocols to the same node), a couple of other users put together some forms to allow people to submit massive amounts of data to spreadsheets, and a couple of other users started writing scripts. One user got a lucky break before we had found the correct methods, and realized that by chaining together 8 self-referencing nodes, he could decrypt the garbled text into the HEX code of an image file (he noticed the JPG header!). Finally a script came to life that would chain together nodes in the spreadsheet and use their keys/initialization vectors to decrypt the garbled wall of text into the HEX code of an image file. This left us with 900+ small JPG files. This took the longest amount of time. People were spitballing, going back and forth on how it works, etc., for hours on end, all night.

The jigsaw puzzle (that actually became very easy) : So here's a picture of some of the pieces compiled : . It's hard to tell because it's shrunk, but each little tile has symbols around it. After a lot of spitballing/trial and error, we discovered that any given tile "A" will have the same 4 combinations of symbols facing it by the 4 tiles surrounding it. We then guessed that those symbols are the node that the tile their facing was originally decrypted from. This made piecing the puzzle together pretty easy by hand after a couple users edited some code, so we started at it. We eventually got a few big chunks that looked like this : . And we logically concluded it was the cylinder room, and another user doctored up a previous map to show the positions . Also, eventually a script was written to compile the images cleanly, which lead to this .

What the image means/The monitors : So, the image was obviously the cylinder room with the big pyramid. After stepping on the shown cylinders (the ones "filled in"), a loud noise occured, and some users quickly found that the monitors in the previous "server farm" room could be activated. When activated they would flash some binary. At this point, Datto and co. tweeted/logged on Twitch, having already figured out the monitors and gave the information out to viewers. As it turns out, one monitor (the one with SIVA on the wall behind it) is the "column" monitor, and you need to translate the binary into a decimal digit (ex: 0010 -> 2), and the other monitor is a "row" monitor. These correspond to positions in the cylinder room, and it's pretty much just a game. First time you activate both monitors, someone has to jump on the correct cylinder in the "0" sector in the room, then the monitor flashes to a new number, and someone needs to jump on the correct cylinder in the "1" sector. After doing 4 jumps, the pyramid opens, and you get an Exotic Engram, the Emblem, and access to the last monitor.

The last monitors/The quest : This is the last monitor to access the final chest. The chest contains a quest item to start the exotic pulse rifle quest. Unsure if anyone's finished it, but it seems like straight forward farming/doin' stuff.
Tada! The end!

TL;DR : A lot of data collecting/brainstorming/analyzing that lead to some very smart people making some great scripts, eventually giving us a map of a room in the raid which allowed us to access the final monitor, unlocking the final chest, which contained the quest for the exotic Pulse Rifle.

Last edited:
mean.gif

sick.gif

http://www.gunsofdestiny.com/shop/outbreakprime390/
That site has been around since the game began............who do you think are those spammers on the LFG site that charges ppl $$$ to be carried thru raids or Iron Banner?

Last edited:
Jeebus, Bungie actually gave us a "long, grindy" quest for an exotic this time around.............its more grindy, tenuous than any of the year 1 exotic gear quests as well.

Well, that is sure to keep some people busy until the next possible "April update content booster."

wow. *sigh* guess I'll get started.

That site has been around since the game began............who do you think are those spammers on the LFG site that charges ppl $$$ to be carried thru raids or Iron Banner?

When i played vanilla WoW we use to run people through raids for gold, their version of glimmer, to feed our guild bank. But people now do it for real $ from what I heard. People will always monatize if they have the opportunity.

When i played vanilla WoW we use to run people through raids for gold, their version of glimmer, to feed our guild bank. But people now do it for real $ from what I heard. People will always monatize if they have the opportunity.

*monetize

People have been doing this with Trials for a minute, too. Pretty lame. That's why the more famous streamers make it a point that their raffles are free and equal.

Jeebus, Bungie actually gave us a "long, grindy" quest for an exotic this time around.............its more grindy, tenuous than any of the year 1 exotic gear quests as well.

Well, that is sure to keep some people busy until the next possible "April update content booster."

Yeah im doing all of that :lol:

Undefined Undefined

This is that thing you had us trying to do last night... yo super wildin :lol:

How do people even come up with how to retrieve these things yo.

Like when you had me standing on these canisters and all this junk I thought it was just to get a chest or an exotic engram :lol:

Now seeing all of this crap that needs to be done :x

I also heard them mention beating some perfected something in the Arogan thing :stoneface: yo we had a team of like six and the captain laid us out within 15 seconds I think :lol: how the hell we going to do it as a team of three.

At least the world can see our struggles on gamerdot's streams :lol:

Undefined Undefined

This is that thing you had us trying to do last night... yo super wildin :lol:

Like when you had me standing on these canisters and all this junk I thought it was just to get a chest or an exotic engram :lol:

Now seeing all of this crap that needs to be done :x

I also heard them mention beating some perfected something in the Arogan thing :stoneface: yo we had a team of like six and the captain laid us out within 15 seconds I think :lol: how the hell we going to do it as a team of three.

At least the world can see our struggles on gamerdot's streams :lol:

Huh? Zero wright and myself 3 man a perfected last night. **** was easy.

Yeah im doing all of that
laugh.gif

@Ace93

This is that thing you had us trying to do last night... yo super wildin
laugh.gif

Like when you had me standing on these canisters and all this junk I thought it was just to get a chest or an exotic engram
laugh.gif

Now seeing all of this crap that needs to be done
sick.gif

I also heard them mention beating some perfected something in the Arogan thing
indifferent.gif
yo we had a team of like six and the captain laid us out within 15 seconds I think
laugh.gif
how the hell we going to do it as a team of three.

At least the world can see our struggles on gamerdot's streams
laugh.gif
You thought I had us go through all of that to get a chest engram b, nah never that 
roll.gif

We gonna finish the rest later. 

You was putting in work in the raid yesterday for your first run 
pimp.gif

Bruh the perfected captains I can kill with ease, but the 3 perfected shanks be ruining my entire day. I really had to question my life when I was telling my boys how theres some godly shanks and they thought I was lyin 
laugh.gif

Last edited:

[@=https://niketalk.com/members/29990"Biggie62" url="/t/606173/destiny-thread-bungie-9-9-14/29580#post_26624890"]

Bruh the perfected captains I can kill with ease, but the 3 perfected shanks be ruining my entire day. I really had to question my life when I was telling my boys how theres some godly shanks and they thought I was lyin :lol:  

Hopefully we can get this part done because those perfected key things you're getting shot from everywhere man :smh:

Also, we're going to have to go back and help a lot of others with this quest line so they can get the rifle.

We did get through a good part of it in such short time though, but I am here drowsy as hell at work right now due to being up that late to finish the quest :smh:

Last edited:
Is it worth the time to grind for the raid exotic? Idk if I want to deal with the headache of trying to get it.

Also dude up there who got the Palindrome with rangefinder rifled and LitC you're a lucky dude. Best one I got was hot swap rifled and reactive but I did get an ill will with rifled rangefinder and LITC

They fixed Archon's Forge tho

Quarantine patrols will now drop an offering upon completion and the drop rate for offerings is increased in the forge itself

After getting shafted at the Final Boss (phase 2) for 6 combined hours since the raid dropped, just beat this dude in the first 2 runs...

The jubilation was real, probably woke someone up.

Got the Scout to drop and the Auto from the Cache.

I'm stoked.

Last edited:
Annnnnnnd, after not being able to solve the stupid boss, clearing for the first time tonight; we went back through on Alts, proc'd all of the monitors, killed ol' boy and got the exotic quest to begin.

Today was a good day :smokin

Back
Top Bottom