*| | Denim _ School | |*

took the last two weeks reading this thread whenever i had some time. Most of the discussion was above me since i'm such a novice. The denim knowledge in here is astonishing. My goodness. I must be doing it all wrong.

Questions though.

What is this soaking your denim to get fades about? Why am i not understanding? Are fades the thing these days? Is it just the look or is comfort part of it? Is there a good before and after pic I can compare? Excuse my ignorance. Just like to know what thats all about.

And no washing denim, in some cases, 1+ year? For real? Is that to avoid losing color?

Sorry for the noobness with denim. I just usually see denim, like the color and fit, and purchase. From there on out, I just wear them and don't think much of it.

This thread has helped me look at other brands and expanded my options. I'm just a JE, Paige, 7 for all mankind, and the occasional Levis guy, but after purchasing a couple pairs of JE, I feel like I've seen the light! But I'm sure you guys know of better options than JE, for a much better price. Interested in that type of info.

Fades just make them custom to you. They fade around your body and the way you wear them makes different fades.

Soaking/washing brings out the fades as it gets rid of the loose indigo. It should actually be done every couple/few months to help keep the fibers strong and prevent blow outs.

As far as brands to try, it depends on how much you want to spend and what type of fit you're looking for. There's been tons of great brands mentioned in here at every price point. As for me I'm lovimg my Oni 517s that I'm currently working on.

@casper90403

Think of raw denim as pants/skin that grow with you. You wear them consistently and the goal for most raw denim enthusiasts is to get high contrast, nice fades. Some denim have unique fabrics/textures that fade in different ways. For example, more repro/vintage denim brands produce denim that is more "classic" fading, which is not high contrast (see Warehouse, Levis LVC, Lee). I would recommend reading Superfuture's denim forum and the RawDenim sub on Reddit.

Folks hold off on washing them until many months (or even a year) in. I personally wash them when they get dirty/smelly, which also helps to add longevity to the denim (wearing for a long time and a tight fit without washing = possible tearing/blowouts of the denim).

Here are some examples of "grail" fades: http://www.heddels.com/2016/01/top-15-raw-denim-fades-2015-vote-winner-win/

And my personal favorite is Loomstate denim, which is essentially unwashed, untouched raw denim that you need to soak in water when you first get them. You'd usually size up 2-3 inches to account for shrinkage. Check out the texture and character of the denim:

http://forum.heddels.com/t/gustin-7...ut-big-texture-at-1-year-2-soaks-0-washes/493

Last edited:
My local NR had a pair of N&F Weird Guy in Indigo Selvedge for $55 (30).

They were nice and fit well, but I'd prefer something other than plain indigo selvedge.

My local NR had a pair of N&F Weird Guy in Indigo Selvedge for $55 (30).

They were nice and fit well, but I'd prefer something other than plain indigo selvedge.
Totally understand that. I started off with a pair of APC NS, but have copped more "unique" denim since then.

Just did a tub wash on a pair of raw denim and they came out super wrinkled

I wore them all day hoping it would fix it but no luck

What's the solution?

how did you dry them?

Usually after wearing them a few hours the wrinkles come out

thanks for posting this. i was able to get some 3sixteen denim and some unbranded denim for $130.

No problem. They still haven't shipped out my order which I placed whenever I posted this. Kind of annoying but I guess they're overloaded with orders. I don't see a cancellation email anywhere either.

No problem. They still haven't shipped out my order which I placed whenever I posted this. Kind of annoying but I guess they're overloaded with orders. I don't see a cancellation email anywhere either.
I was kind of surprised i was able to get anything, i didn't see your link till about 8 hours after you posted it. I received my order last Friday so yours shouldn't be too far behind.

What jeans are you skinny guys wearing these days? I swear every pair i try on fits me terribly. I'm 5'8 like 127, but definitely do not like super skinny jeans.  My apc pns probably fit the best of what i own. I'm looking for other options to expand my wardrobe, any brands/cuts suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

What jeans are you skinny guys wearing these days? I swear every pair i try on fits me terribly. I'm 5'8 like 127, but definitely do not like super skinny jeans.  My apc pns probably fit the best of what i own. I'm looking for other options to expand my wardrobe, any brands/cuts suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

I like tapered fits. I'm pretty damn skinny and my ex gf says she doesn't like it when she sees my in "skinny" jeans. I like the tape Ted Nudies and the N&F skinnys on their stretchy denims. Nice slim fit that doesn't look too tight on my legs since I got toothpicks lmao.

I like tapered fits. I'm pretty damn skinny and my ex gf says she doesn't like it when she sees my in "skinny" jeans. I like the tape Ted Nudies and the N&F skinnys on their stretchy denims. Nice slim fit that doesn't look too tight on my legs since I got toothpicks lmao.
Appreciate the feedback ill definitely check out a pair. Yea thats my issue i dont like the look of skinny jeans, but my legs are also like toothpicks so most "tapered" jeans are still too big for my legs.

Anybody mess with All Saints? Picked up the cigarette skinny today and they look good imo. I like the stacking on them.

From Citizen? I got hit with the cancellation but had 4 items. 2 of which weren't clothing. Asked why I got the cancellation and crickets. Followed up and crickets again.
Yeah they're CS seems terrible.  I made 2 separate orders because one items went out of stock during checkout and then came back in stock a little later.  Asked to combine the orders and waive one of the shipping fees.  I got an email a couple days later but nothing updated on either order statuses.  I probably won't order from this place again.  They were a good deal but CS kills it for me.  I don't need these jeans anyway..

update on how you like both spots and what denim you end up leaving with. Ill b there in a couple weeks.

Only went to self edge today. Store is small but real nice. Guys are pretty knowledgeable and helpful. You'll pretty much need it to try anything on

First pair of true Japanese denim requiring the soak prior to wear. I ended up buying dry bones

any of you guys ever got unsanforized denim tts or sized down in it? Copped one on ebay for a steal, worse case scenario I'll get it let out a few inches.

any of you guys ever got unsanforized denim tts or sized down in it? Copped one on ebay for a steal, worse case scenario I'll get it let out a few inches.
Nah, that's ridiculous unless you're gonna drop weight.

How does a tailor let out denim?

Back
Top Bottom