*| | Denim _ School | |*

A lot of people on the internet are always bragging about how big their thighs are from squats and leg days now.

Anyway, I dunno how big the leg opening is for levi's 527s are but those are perfect for when I wear lowtops and workboots.

Man I need to wear my denim more.  I need to get them tailored tho.  Bought a couple of pairs and I don't like the fit.

I used to wear a 6.5 leg opening like 6-7 years ago with the SExI08 BK. I can't pull off the 19 cm dior cut anymore, plus my ankles would get cold. My current jeans have a 7-7.5 leg opening. I think everyone should have a varied leg opening for different sneakers/boots/fits. Luckily the trainers I'm into now have more of a slimmer silhouette. I could not rock size 9.5 SBs with a 6.5 inch leg opening without looking like I was wearing clown shoes.

Got some thick thighs and my calves are bit big , I want to get my nudies tapered , what leg opening should I go for & I have a pair of biker denim from RRL that are 34x34 I want to have some work done on
Them .. But my local Nordstrom doesn't do any of that stuff , where would you guys recommend.

Got some thick thighs and my calves are bit big , I want to get my nudies tapered , what leg opening should I go for & I have a pair of biker denim from RRL that are 34x34 I want to have some work done on
Them .. But my local Nordstrom doesn't do any of that stuff , where would you guys recommend.
railcar

Sending to Railcar is dumb if you don't know what leg opening you want.

Your best bet is go to a local tailor and have that person pin you to your liking

Sending to Railcar is dumb if you don't know what leg opening you want.

Your best bet is go to a local tailor and have that person pin you to your liking

Did you read what their requirements are for tapering and the measurements you need to make? If you're going to get something tailored you need to understand/specify what measurements you want...

Yeah, some guys in here are super frail.

Squats are not skinny jeans friend.

squats make your ankles bigger?! :wow: :lol:

if you want to get somethin tailored, you should at least come I with an idea of what you want. play around with a pair you have and take measurements

My tailor won't even let me go below a 7 taper. I think she may have had a bad experience with another customer and it turned her off.

I used to wear a 6.5 leg opening like 6-7 years ago with the SExI08 BK. I can't pull off the 19 cm dior cut anymore, plus my ankles would get cold. My current jeans have a 7-7.5 leg opening. I think everyone should have a varied leg opening for different sneakers/boots/fits. Luckily the trainers I'm into now have more of a slimmer silhouette. I could not rock size 9.5 SBs with a 6.5 inch leg opening without looking like I was wearing clown shoes.

Totally agree with the different openings/fits statement.

My tailor won't even let me go below a 7 taper. I think she may have had a bad experience with another customer and it turned her off.
Your tailor is a smart woman. Bet that the customer requested a <7" hem and complained that it was too tight.

Tapering is very difficult to reverse.

yeah, the tailor I go to always tells me that 6.25 is too small and I have to remind him that he's done it for me multiple times :lol:

Your tailor is a smart woman. Bet that the customer requested a <7" hem and complained that it was too tight.

Tapering is very difficult to reverse.
Not as difficult as you think, obviously it varies on the type of denim.

But, if you're unsure just tell your Tailor to not cut off the excess fabric on the inside. From there, a seam ripper can just undue the taper easily.
Very true, but if you're going to a run-of-the-mill tailor, he/she'll just do the taper and cut off the fabric.

Another important lesson of having a good tailor, especially one who understands modern/slim fits.

I think everyone should get comfortable with pants measurements in general. It makes it much easier to know whether certain silhouettes can work for you when measurements are listed. It may seem complicated in addition to differing ways of measuring, but it is well worth understanding measuring for like 6 min of your time.

I didn't bother understanding measurements the first 4-5 years of my interest in denim, but I would spend months researching denim in a couple forums (sufu, styleforum, & IH). When anyone becomes familiar with measurements, rawr denim scout is helpful. Sorry for the wall of text...

I think everyone should get comfortable with pants measurements in general. It makes it much easier to know whether certain silhouettes can work for you when measurements are listed. It may seem complicated in addition to differing ways of measuring, but it is well worth understanding measuring for like 6 min of your time.

I didn't bother understanding measurements the first 4-5 years of my interest in denim, but I would spend months researching denim in a couple forums (sufu, styleforum, & IH). When anyone becomes familiar with measurements, rawr denim scout is helpful. Sorry for the wall of text...
Everyone should get comfortable with clothing measurements in general.

For pants, you measure your best fitting pair of pants: waist, thigh, front/back rise, knee, leg opening, and inseam.

For jackets/shirts, you measure your best fitting shirt/jacket: chest, shoulders, sleeve length, waist, and body length.

Last edited:
I actually keep my measurements in my notes on my phone in case they're needed on the fly

Anyone got any info on how Naked & Famous Denim fit? I have a size 31 for the Edwin Selvedge ones.

Back
Top Bottom