Delete

laugh.gif
at you guys hating on Alex Smith.

He's gonna lead us to the promise land.

My concern with Nate Davis is that it's taken him a long time to learn the playbook, and he still hasn't learned it completely. What's going to happen if we ever get a new offensive coordinator? We can't expect our starting QB to take that long with every new coordinator we get. Just imagine Nate Davis in Alex's situation with a new coordinator damn near every year. He has all the talent, but his learning disability might be the reason he can't be a starting QB in the league.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

My concern with Nate Davis is that it's taken him a long time to learn the playbook, and he still hasn't learned it completely. What's going to happen if we ever get a new offensive coordinator? We can't expect our starting QB to take that long with every new coordinator we get. Just imagine Nate Davis in Alex's situation with a new coordinator damn near every year. He has all the talent, but his learning disability might be the reason he can't be a starting QB in the league.
100% agree with this and what mzd65 said.  Im tired of hearing people say how Nate should be our guy.  He shouldnt be (now or ever).  Period.
Everyone loves the 3rd string quarterback for some reason.  

natedavis-pi_20100824113121_660_320.JPG

Memo to Nate Davis: It takes more than skillz to pay the billz.

Jason Whitlock writes about the sports world from every angle, including those other writers can't imagine or muster courage to address. His columns are humorous, thought-provoking, agenda free, honest and unpredictable. You can e-mail Jason or follow him on Twitter.

PRINT RSS
http:///static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2010/08/24/natedavis-pi_20100824113121_123_100.JPG">http://static.foxsports.c...100824113121_123_100.JPG')">
share_black.png

Updated Aug 24, 2010 1:49 PM ET

Mike Singletary might make me look like a prophet.

Remember my 2008 rants about Ball State football and a Heisman Trophy-caliber quarterback, Nate Davis? Remember my Fighting Cardinals starting the season 12-0 and making a bid to crash the BCS?

Yeah, you remember. I bashed ESPN and Chris Fowler for disrespecting the Cards.

Nate Davis reminded me of Brett Favre. People thought I was crazy. My critics worried I would turn Davis into my next Jeff George.

Well, it’s time. Hopefully you saw “The Nate Show

Dudes in here have given Alex Smith YEARS to develop but now all of sudden they don't want to give Nate Davis a few solid months or even a good year to develop...........funny.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Dudes in here have given Alex Smith YEARS to develop but now all of sudden they don't want to give Nate Davis a few solid months or even a good year to develop...........funny.

Really? You can't even compare the situations. Alex managed to learn every new offense that was brought to the 49ers every year. Nate Davis has gone through two years worth of mini camps, two training camps,  two preseasons, a whole nfl season, and all the time in between, and he still hasn't fully learned one offense. That has to raise red flags. You can't expect a starting QB to take that long to learn a new offense. 

Alex managed to learn every new offense that was brought to the 49ers every year.
cdd156e5baac472f42e7499a0119eeae2d97df4.gif

If he learned every new offense why has he sucked every year?

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Smith has failed in 5 different offenses. Lulz

This made me
roll.gif

I have been one of the biggest Alex Smith haters, but I really think he will actually have a solid season if last year was any indication.

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

Alex managed to learn every new offense that was brought to the 49ers every year.

What does sucking and knowledge of the offense have to do with each other?  You can be bad and know the offense.  But you cant be good and NOT know the offense.  Thats the point we are trying to make.

Originally Posted by dland24

What does sucking and knowledge of the offense have to do with each other?  You can be bad and know the offense.  But you cant be good and NOT know the offense.  Thats the point we are trying to make.
The whole point of having the same OC this year was so Alex could finally be able to totally learn the O, something he couldn't do the previous years. Hasn't the knock on Alex been he can run the O until he knows the O totally?

Nate has a discipline problem, Alex has a talent problem. Thats my point.

The whole point of having the same OC this year was so Alex could finally be able to totally learn the O, something he couldn't do the previous years. Hasn't the knock on Alex been he can run the O until he knows the O totally?

I cant speak for everyone, but I never heard people say Alex cant run the O until he knows the O.  The problem that most have is the fact that there is major inconsistency with new offensive coordinators every year.  He had zero weapons early in his career and a new offensive coordinator every year.  I really dont think its that Alex never knew the O, but more so that he was never able to get comfortable in one, because he had a new system every year.

As far as your last sentence goes, yes Nate may have a discipline problem.  But combine that with the fact that he also has a learning problem, that doesnt bode well for him to ever be more than a 3rd string QB.  And as far as Alex having a talent problem, THIS will be the year that you might be able make that statement.  He finally has weapons, a decent line and an offensive system that he didnt have to learn a few weeks before training camp started.  If he **#%+ the bed again this year, every hateful comment towards him will be warranted.  Until then, I personally dont think you can say he has a talent issue.

(1)I cant speak for everyone, but I never heard people say Alex cant run the O until he knows the O. 

(2) Until then, I personally dont think you can say he has a talent issue.

(1) "It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

(2) I'm saying Nate has more natural talent then Alex, but Alex has had more drive and motivation then Nate. I'm giving Alex a fair chance this year, hell he looked real good sun night, who knows he might surprise me but i still think Nate has a higher ceiling if he ever gets his act together.

I'm saying Nate has more natural talent then Alex, but Alex has had more drive and motivation then Nate. I'm giving Alex a fair chance this year, hell he looked real good sun night, who knows he might surprise me but i still think Nate has a higher ceiling if he ever gets his act together.
I agree with the natural talent comment.  Nate has a ton of athletic ability and natural talent.  No question about that. 

But I dont think "Nate has a higher ceiling if he ever gets his act together" is really valid, because I really dont think drive and motivation is the issue with him.  The issue is his learning disability.  After being publically blasted by Singletary, Nate will definitely try harder and be more motivated to succeed.....I just feel like an NFL quarterback will never be able to overcome an obstacle like dyslexia....which is a shame given his natural talents. 

dland, this is from article I posted by whitlock a page back or so.

The knock on Nate coming out of college was that he had a learning disability. He’d struggle to digest an NFL playbook. There’s a kernel of truth in that. He’s a visual learner. He’s not going to simply read a playbook and grasp everything the way Alex Smith does.

Put Nate on the field and he learns quickly. He has an uncanny feel for the game. It’s like watching Larry Bird play basketball. Bird could see things others couldn’t.

Singletary, Raye and Johnson know this. They recognize Nate’s potential. Singletary blasted the young QB in hopes that Davis would respond the way tight end Vernon Davis responded when Singletary lit him up two years ago.

Everything I read about Nate in the last few days says Nate's motivation not his Dyslexia is the problem.

I don't understand the reasoning behind openly being "anti-Smith."  He's our starting QB.  Period.  You should support him and our team's success no matter what.  With that being said I think he will have a very good year this year as will the team.
Nate Davis is a good prospect but due to his disabilities has some limitations.  He'll need all the time he can get to develop the nuances of QB and learn the playbook, especially if it changes.

10-6 NFC West Champs 
pimp.gif

I don't understand the reasoning behind openly being "anti-Smith."  He's our starting QB.  Period.  You should support him and our team's success no matter what.  With that being said I think he will have a very good year this year as will the team.
Nate Davis is a good prospect but due to his disabilities has some limitations.  He'll need all the time he can get to develop the nuances of QB and learn the playbook, especially if it changes.

10-6 NFC West Champs 
pimp.gif

Being anti-Smith has nothing to do with being anti-49ers.

Those of us who don't believe in the guy are sick of all the 2nd, 3rd ... 53rd chances he's been given. Alex Smith does not have what it takes to lead a team. He does not possess some of the elementary things that decent QBs in this league have - just off the top of my head, I'd say pocket presence and accuracy. I feel VERY confident saying that because we've seen what this guy can bring to the table. Completing a 15 yard pass to an open receiver has NOTHING to do with who the offensive coordinator is.

I have had great expectations for this squad every year. And by December of every year I am disappointed
laugh.gif

I think things will finally go our way this year. Hopefully we can just stay healthy and improve each and every game, win or loss.

I want to say 11-5, dont want to say 9-7. So ill go with 10-6.

Got my red Crabtree jersey ready, but I want a Vernon or Gore in white
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom