Death Penalty Vol. Do People Deserve To Die For Their Actions?

ginzo

Banned
Your stance on the death penalty whether it be against or supporting the death penalty?
Do people deserve to die? Why/why not?
Is an eye for an eye just?
How would you feel if someone who was put to death was found innocent years later after his execution?
Thought provoking late night NTers enter.

I've been on the fence on this topic for years and after watching the Death Penalty episode of Penn&Teller's BS.
The only statements that rocked my opinion were these: "If you support the death penalty and only one single innocent person is killed and killing an innocent person is murder then you become murderers. So, you also deserve to be killed. This is the paradox of the death penalty and you cannot avoid this paradox of the death penalty."
And this one:
"It's blatantly hypocritical for the government on one hand to teach children and to urge a respect for the culture of life from the time we're little through life and yet the government intercedes against some violent convicted felons and kills these people in the name of the law."

Your stance on the death penalty whether it be against or supporting the death penalty?
Do people deserve to die? Why/why not?
Is an eye for an eye just?
How would you feel if someone who was put to death was found innocent years later after his execution?
Thought provoking late night NTers enter.

I've been on the fence on this topic for years and after watching the Death Penalty episode of Penn&Teller's BS.
The only statements that rocked my opinion were these: "If you support the death penalty and only one single innocent person is killed and killing an innocent person is murder then you become murderers. So, you also deserve to be killed. This is the paradox of the death penalty and you cannot avoid this paradox of the death penalty."
And this one:
"It's blatantly hypocritical for the government on one hand to teach children and to urge a respect for the culture of life from the time we're little through life and yet the government intercedes against some violent convicted felons and kills these people in the name of the law."

Did that guy who the convict robbed deserve to die? Did those little girls the convict raped deserve to be raped?

Did that guy who the convict robbed deserve to die? Did those little girls the convict raped deserve to be raped?

Disagree with the death penalty... If killing is wrong and not okay then that should go for everyone... Life in prison is far worse than death as far as punishment goes

If someone kills my brother and I go kill him myself because he killed my bro... I would go to jail because it is wrong regardless of the reason... correct? .... so why should it be ok for the GOV to kill someone for killing someone else??

Disagree with the death penalty... If killing is wrong and not okay then that should go for everyone... Life in prison is far worse than death as far as punishment goes

If someone kills my brother and I go kill him myself because he killed my bro... I would go to jail because it is wrong regardless of the reason... correct? .... so why should it be ok for the GOV to kill someone for killing someone else??

i see it as if you take someone(s) life with the intent to do so, then yours may be taken from you by the state.

if someone has enough hate in their heart to take another ones life, then what should the repercussions be?

not trying to start any arguments. just my opinion and would like to see what other people have to think.

currently AJ major

i see it as if you take someone(s) life with the intent to do so, then yours may be taken from you by the state.

if someone has enough hate in their heart to take another ones life, then what should the repercussions be?

not trying to start any arguments. just my opinion and would like to see what other people have to think.

currently AJ major

Me and my pops were watching the news about the drug/prostitution problem in Thailand and he said this could never happen in his home country of Sudan. He said both of them carried a death penalty. I think this OD but he explained how most potential prostitutes and drug dealers either work in extreme secrecy or decide not to do it at all because the penalty is so severe.

I personally think in homocide cases it is a just punishment because life in prison is too expensive

Me and my pops were watching the news about the drug/prostitution problem in Thailand and he said this could never happen in his home country of Sudan. He said both of them carried a death penalty. I think this OD but he explained how most potential prostitutes and drug dealers either work in extreme secrecy or decide not to do it at all because the penalty is so severe.

I personally think in homocide cases it is a just punishment because life in prison is too expensive

i've been on the fence about this for years too. its just one of those things.
like on one side, let them rot in there, but then again, we're super overpopulated so....

not like the death penalty is new tho. least folks ain't gettin stoned to death or publicly hung (least in the US) and even tho a jury of our piers has been proven not to be the most effective, its better then it was couple hundred years ago where you could be killed just on accusations

i've been on the fence about this for years too. its just one of those things.
like on one side, let them rot in there, but then again, we're super overpopulated so....

not like the death penalty is new tho. least folks ain't gettin stoned to death or publicly hung (least in the US) and even tho a jury of our piers has been proven not to be the most effective, its better then it was couple hundred years ago where you could be killed just on accusations

I dont agree with it. I feel that no one should be able to decide if someone should live or not. Lock them up in the smallest cell possible and let them out for a 10 minute walk a day for the rest of there lives, but how the government possibly punish someone for something that they feel they are authorized to do? I feel also that how can one criminal be put to death when there are so many others that arent? Who is to be the judge of who deserves to be put to death?

I dont agree with it. I feel that no one should be able to decide if someone should live or not. Lock them up in the smallest cell possible and let them out for a 10 minute walk a day for the rest of there lives, but how the government possibly punish someone for something that they feel they are authorized to do? I feel also that how can one criminal be put to death when there are so many others that arent? Who is to be the judge of who deserves to be put to death?

A jury decides the death penalty. The state just administers what the jury (a representative body of the jurisdiction) decides.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you murder someone, or are involved, you get the needle.

A jury decides the death penalty. The state just administers what the jury (a representative body of the jurisdiction) decides.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you murder someone, or are involved, you get the needle.

never really liked the idea...only people that suffer are the families, not the criminal

never really liked the idea...only people that suffer are the families, not the criminal

Back
Top Bottom