DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

So what I'm getting from the 4 hr cut is that DC/WB didn't know what they were doing. There's no reason to have 4 hours of footage. That's not normal, right?

With no knowledge of whats been said in this thread I'm just asking a question. Is it the Barry or Wally Flash we'll get in the JL? Does the TV flash have anything to with this network/company wise?

So what I'm getting from the 4 hr cut is that DC/WB didn't know what they were doing. There's no reason to have 4 hours of footage. That's not normal, right?
that's very normal in terms of total footage taken

its common practice to cut the total amount down to smaller and smaller cuts until setting on the final cut

the editor for mad max was given and had to sort through 480 hours of usable footage before eventually creating the 2 hour movie. in between 480 and 2 there were many much longer cuts which were just a part of the proccess. 

its common practice to cut the total amount down to smaller and smaller cuts until setting on the final cut

the editor for mad max was given and had to sort through 480 hours of usable footage before eventually creating the 2 hour movie. in between 480 and 2 there were many much longer cuts which were just a part of the proccess. 
But I mean, sifting through 'usable' footage is a lot different than having a completed movie with a running time of 4 hours. It's clear they tried to cram too much into this movie, and this is pretty much confirmation.:lol: :smh:

Really sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. Sounds like Snyder made too much movie and had to cut it down...a lot.

Well, IMO, it's not really the hours of footage, it's what was shot. You can have hours upon hours of footage for one scene, and just pick the best of what you shot. That's totally normal. However, if you have ton of footage of unique scenes and had to pick out what to drop, that would be another story.

Well, IMO, it's not really the hours of footage, it's what was shot. You can have hours upon hours of footage for one scene, and just pick the best of what you shot. That's totally normal. However, if you have ton of footage of unique scenes and had to pick out what to drop, that would be another story.
If I understand correctly, they had a completed movie with a runtime of 4 hours, not raw footage.

If it's raw footage that needs to be edited and cut fine, but it sounds to me like they completed the movie the way they wanted to, and realized no one in their right mind was going to sit in a movie theater for four hours...that's when they decided to chop it down to a much more palatable 2:30 and throw out that R rated extended cut news.

That's how I see it at least. Who know what really happened.

I think we can all agree that they didn't know what they were doing, though.:lol:

But I mean, sifting through 'usable' footage is a lot different than having a completed movie with a running time of 4 hours. It's clear they tried to cram too much into this movie, and this is pretty much confirmation.
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Really sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. Sounds like Snyder made too much movie and had to cut it down...a lot.
yup, its like when you write an essay with a 2k word limit and end up writing a 3k paper

but you have to turn it in at midnight so you randomly remove chunks of text to get it under the word count. 
laugh.gif

as a director put in charge of a movie that is supposed to make a billion dollars that's just unacceptable and sloppy 

But I mean, sifting through 'usable' footage is a lot different than having a completed movie with a running time of 4 hours. It's clear they tried to cram too much into this movie, and this is pretty much confirmation.:lol: :smh:

yup, its like when you write an essay with a 2k word limit and end up writing a 3k paper

but you have to turn it in at midnight so you randomly remove chunks of text to get it under the word count. :lol:

as a director put in charge of a movie that is supposed to make a billion dollars that's just unacceptable and sloppy 
:rofl:

That's exactly what happened. If BvS were an essay, it would have red ink all over the borders asking for more explanation.:lol: :smh:

It's also pretty normal to take multiple takes of the same scene at different angles, the actors say their lines in different ways, etc. before settling on the final product.

and for the people thinking they should have just released the "better" 4 hour version

in 3 4 hour screenings (12 hours) you can fit almost 5 2.5 hour screenings, so by putting out the "better" version they would have made WAY less money 

With no knowledge of whats been said in this thread I'm just asking a question. Is it the Barry or Wally Flash we'll get in the JL? Does the TV flash have anything to with this network/company wise?
Ezra Miller is playing Barry Allen

TV Flash has nothing to do with the films

was just watching this because of something I read in another thread that reminded me of it.. for those who haven't seen it, you need to watch.. for those who have, you need to watch again in light of this movie

its amazing that he can still get work, dude burns bridges everytime he opens his mouth 
roll.gif

You only get 4 hrs of a final cut out of a movie if it's a big script indicating it's a 3hr movie or ppl on set, director included don't know what they're doing and film a whole lot of pointless shots at landscapes, different entrances, improvised dialogue, etc.

It can't be a hr more of action cuz that costs money and it makes no sense to film that much in the first place :lol:

If you film 4 hrs of a film somehow and it actually did have meaningful scenes and action, you don't scrap it. You split it in to 2 films and release the 2nd part at the end of the year to maximize how much money you could make. The only risk there is if the first 2 hrs are so bad nobody shows up for the next 2 hrs.

Last edited:
I believe TFA's first few cuts were around 4 hours and that was the Version they screened to terminally ill people. Whedon said one of his AoU cuts was around 3 and a half hours... It happens all the time.

There's allegedly a 6 hour early Phantom Menace cut too :rofl:

Most tent pole films that are over like 140 minutes usually have initial cuts are in the 3 and a half hour plus range but they're also usually in conditions that they'd NEVER screen to the public :lol:

They shoot a LOT of stuff for these types of films and basically recraft the films in the editing room so don't worry, it's normal

I believe TFA's first few cuts were around 4 hours and that was the Version they screened to terminally ill people. Whedon said one of his AoU cuts was around 3 and a half hours... It happens all the time.

There's allegedly a 6 hour early Phantom Menace cut too :rofl:

Most tent pole films that are over like 140 minutes usually have initial cuts are in the 3 and a half hour plus range but they're also usually in conditions that they'd NEVER screen to the public :lol:

They shoot a LOT of stuff for these types of films and basically recraft the films in the editing room so don't worry, it's normal

That's ... interesting to say the least.

Surprising.

Whenever I watch deleted scenes from a blu ray - it really doesn't matter what movie I watch - deleted scenes don't seem to add up to more than 40 minutes IIRC

Wasnt there rumors of bvs being two parts? They probably should have just done that but they are so in a rush to try to catch up to marvel.

Well no film includes everything they shot on the extras. It's not worth the trouble and money to have an extra 30+ minutes of footage color graded, vfx'd and sound mixed just to appear on a special features disc.

Using TFA as an example again, the deleted scenes are canonical (iirc this is true with Marvel's films too) so they had to keep that in mind when choosing what to add on DVD. You can't include a scene on there where Kylo basically implies he knows Rey when Rian Johnson is planning on included that same beat in his film.

The studio lets you shoot practically whatever you want nowadays since these films are filmed digitally and you have to get as much coverage as possible so that attributes to why you end up with so much extra **** when it's time to edit the film. You have extended takes of scenes, improvised takes, B-Roll, etc... The 4 hour cuts of these movies would be unwatchable to the majority of y'all because they're super rough. They act mostly as a way for the studio to see directly what exactly they paid for since most execs don't watch the dailies and frankly, don't even read the scripts.

TLDR: 4 hour cut - proof of investment for the studio
3 hour and 5 minute cut - Snyder's "vision"
Theatrical version - studio's cut

And that pretty much applies to all CBMs in some ways

Basically-- Studio watches the first cut, sends notes, film gets recut, test screenings, studio sends more notes, reshoots, cut again, then finished

Back
Top Bottom