DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

Did people spend 3 years prior to any other big film's release date tearing it down? BVS had an uphill battle long before it hit theaters. I actually think the fact that RT has like an audience 70-75% positive feedback rating is a huge W. It was also like 7.5 on IMDB last time I checked. IMDB can be harsh too. There's film classics that are barely above an 8.

I hope the Blu-ray edit alleviates issues for you guys and you can enjoy the film. It sounds like the editing was a big complaint for some people.

Did people spend 3 years prior to any other big film's release date tearing it down? BVS had an uphill battle long before it hit theaters. I actually think the fact that RT has like an audience 70-75% positive feedback rating is a huge W. It was also like 7.5 on IMDB last time I checked. IMDB can be harsh too. There's film classics that are barely above an 8.

I hope the Blu-ray edit alleviates issues for you guys and you can enjoy the film. It sounds like the editing was a big complaint for some people.
this is due to people hating MoS though

like if the first avengers movie was trash, people would have started hating on age of ultron right away after they announce that the same director is behind the next movie

Came back from seeing the movie, Went with a clear mind because I don't believe in critics.

Movie was solid, aside from like an hour and half of just talking and no action, it was still pretty good

Only issue i was scratching my head was, how batman and superman suddenly because bff when they found out there moms name is martha :lol:

I think you've missed the point of what I was trying to say. Marvel fans do criticize their own movies. We nitpick our movies to death and we argue among ourselves in our movie thread all the time. It's not really circle jerk in there nor do we always put our movies on a pedestal. Guys like OKB and Zik or Semanup, when they heavily criticize a DC movie, they're not doing anything different that they wouldn't do if they see flaws in a Marvel movie. I think that's just cuz the Marvel universe has already launched. Marvel has already put out a line of movies consistently so it ain't no thing if a particular movie gets picked apart. Once the DCU verse gets to that point, it'll be the same with you guys. No being defensive ej. ''You guys are marvel fanboys! ' 'Quit trolling us!' Instead of whining, it'll be 'I highly disagree. Here's why...' It'll just be back and forth with arguments and counterarguments instead of defaulting to 'Let us do you. We'll do us Let us live. Why you a hater.'
:pimp:

Ran out of reps.

How many do we get per day? and is it a 24 hr period thing when they come back? :nerd:
Does everything Marvel stay in one thread?
Yeah, now it does. Ever since Avengers I'd say. Basically for franchises with a cinematic universe.

I mean you want the BvS topic to be separated from here? It's not like there's currently a lot of new news about the rest of the DCEU right now (what does the "e" stand for?)

Im a huge DC fan. loved the comics, thee new 52, seen all the shows, TT, BTAS, STAS, JL, JLU, and so on. I buy the figures, posters and shirts.

These are mainstream characters that EVERYONE knows about. EVERYONE. Of course these guys are going to be put under the microscope unlike them Marvel dudes. Besides Spiderman... And if Spider-Man is trash too best believe he will get the flack. i mean the internet exploded when they showed him.

We criticize Marvel films as well, but those characters aren't as huge as BM and SM... we grew up with these guys and know more about them then the rest, so when we are accustomed to seeing their morals, attitudes, motivation whatever carries them throughout the years be turned upside down by some clown director then of course we have to criticize.

Movie had great potential. The philosophical aspect was what i wanted to see. Superman, is he too powerful for earth? I was eager to see the courtroom scene, but they blew it up. literally.

Batman had the best story. From his point of view, of course he has to see Supes as a threat. Never know when he can turn. But, Batman being a killer? cmon, that goes against his beliefs.. So he gets to pick and choose who he kills. i can see seriously hurting them, but to end a life. Thats what separates him from a villain. Now we need another hero to put him in check. Thats where the Supes story should of came in. they were doing a good job of it and Clark should of done more investigating on Bats being this vigilante.

Editing was horrible. Moved from scene to scene to quick. Didn't let the story move itself. Lex's motives were not even told. Scenes were out of place. Knighmare scene, JL scene. Also bats and Supes being friendly right away after this huge fight. Clark not being once curious as to this rock that is making him weak????

With all that said i enjoyed it :lol: it was fun and hopefully they can fix these mistakes. Its the way a director introduces characters and how he uses them.

Last edited:

The audience feedback is dropping on RT. It was in the 80s last I checked. Same for the critic rating. It was 37% and now it's 30%. Got over 250 critic reviews.

thing is we hated IM3 hard (not as hard as this because it was a better movie), but people that didnt agree just thought "oh well at least we have the new cap/thor/avengers movie".

with DC this movie is pretty much all the fans have so they feel the need to protect it for some reason 
laugh.gif

like if the first avengers movie was trash, people would have started hating on age of ultron right away after they announce that the same director is behind the next movie

I didn't like Sucker Punch and I wasn't too big on Man of Steel either. I like Watchmen though.

When I saw that first teaser with Batfleck in the armored suit and Supes eyes lighting up I became optimistic. When the first pictures came out and we could see the Frank Miller inspired Batsuit and the Burton/Nolan hybrid Batmobile, I started to get more optimistic.

I'm not a fan of J.J. Abrams past films or TV shows, but I loved The Force Awakens.

thing is we hated IM3 hard (not as hard as this because it was a better movie), but people that didnt agree just thought "oh well at least we have the new cap/thor/avengers movie".

with DC this movie is pretty much all the fans have so they feel the need to protect it for some reason :lol:

Agreed. the biggest criticism for IM3 was the foul use of the Mandarin. That was its biggest problem. the story was smooth up until that point.

We nitpicked that as well, with giving away his address so easily and without being prepared, cheap suit that came off him with being hit by a truck, but being able to go to toe to toe with Thor, those fire villains... man the movie was terrible and it has like 70-something on RT :lol:

with DC this movie is pretty much all the fans have so they feel the need to protect it for some reason :lol:

Exactly what I was trying to say a page ago :rolleyes

But i think you might've explained it a little more clearly

Once DC just starts pumping out more movies, then hopefully there'll be a little less being defensive and just having back and forth discussions

IM3 has been discussed ad nauseum in Marvel circles

Some people like it and some people hate it. Divisive movie.

Last edited:

I didn't like Sucker Punch and I wasn't too big on Man of Steel either. I like Watchmen though.

When I saw that first teaser with Batfleck in the armored suit and Supes eyes lighting up I became optimistic. When the first pictures came out and we could see the Frank Miller inspired Batsuit and the Burton/Nolan hybrid Batmobile, I started to get more optimistic.

I'm not a fan of J.J. Abrams past films or TV shows, but I loved The Force Awakens.
but that's the thing, i liked MoS, love watchmen and i really was excited about this movie. disney low key tricked me into thinking a studio could not possibly mess something like this up 
laugh.gif

however, the people who were expecting this movie to be bad.. yes there are the weirdos out there who think for whatever reason just because they are marvel fans they need all DC movies to be bad. but its mostly people who didnt like what snider did with MoS so they naturally had no faith him him being able to handle a much bigger movie with more key characters. 

with DC this movie is pretty much all the fans have so they feel the need to protect it for some reason 
laugh.gif
Exactly what I was trying to say a page ago
eyes.gif

But i think you might've explained it a little more clearly

Once DC just starts pumping out more movies, then hopefully there'll be a little less being defensive and just having back and forth discussions
exactly.

at the time of IM3 it was like if you hate this movie, you hate one small chapter of the MCU

for this, if you hate it you basically hate the entire DCU 

most of the guys in here slandering this mess wanted the movie to be good

View media item 1967516
Yall dudes are just sour at this point.

I read through pg after pg of so many posters claiming to want to like the movie and/or being DC fans saying they didn't like it or state the same problems with the movie that ppl who hate it have.

These aren't your "usual" suspects. These aint posters that'll bother arguing with ppl who did love it enough to stand out. They just posted their review/opinion and are probably just reading as the thread goes on.

If RFX, put up a poll right now for who liked it and who didn't yall would be tight. Probably start claiming it was a Marvel fanboy conspiracy back when ppl were talking about Hydra infiltrated RT.

but that's the thing, i liked MoS, love watchmen and i really was excited about this movie. disney low key tricked me into thinking a studio could not possibly mess something like this up :lol:

however, the people who were expecting this movie to be bad.. yes there are the weirdos out there who think for whatever reason just because they are marvel fans they need all DC movies to be bad. but its mostly people who didnt like what snider did with MoS so they naturally had no faith him him being able to handle a much bigger movie with more key characters. 

Watchmen is much more egregious with its fast tracking in editing than BVS is though. That was a huge complaint from people. It could of been 2 movies, but the odds of there being a sequel was low, so they put the entire graphic novel into one film.

Last edited:
the thing with watchmen which i agree is created with much of the same style as bvs is that it is a direct adaptation of one of the greatest graphic novels ever.

all the core thematic elements of the story were already laid out for snider to just adapt to the screen. in this movie he and the writers had to create the plot themselves and it really shows in the awful writing.

watchmen also had the benefit of being a self contained story, everything shown on screen needed to make sense in the context of what was shown in the movie's runtime. there was no stupid dream sequence nonsense that hand nothing to do with the plot.

yes it was a lot of stuff to pack into one movie but it was still one story with a beginning, middle and ending. this was two iconic comic book storylines lazily crammed together with a bunch of in your face references to other potential future movies randomly placed in the middle of the movie to further break up pacing. 

in watchmen character motivations are clear and well defined because, as a self contained story, each character needs to be properly introduced in terms of powers, motivations and personality. in MvS he assumes the audience already knows everything you need to know about these characters even though the three core characters to this story greatly differ from versions from previous movies. 

Yall dudes are just sour at this point.
the exact thing can be said about the people in here nitpicking every little insignificant thing.
Post your review and move on. Coming into the thread just to point out some illogical flaw in a SUPERHERO movie that you can remember isn't exactly discussing anything. It's like they're sitting there trying their hardest to remember any other thing to nitpick so they can run to this thread and post it. How does that not sound like having some type of agenda?
Some of these cats were convinced they would hate the movie way before even watching it.
Also, I'm pretty sure that the people who did like the movie have absolutely no problem if someone else did. In fact, in most of the reviews people point out that they did like the movie, but could see why someone else might not enjoy it as much.
You didn't like it, cool, no need to keep coming into this thread to continuously try to nitpick every little thing you can think of, just so you can get co-signed and e-props from the handful of other posters in here hell bent on trying to sh** on the movie as much as possible. If anything, THEY'RE the ones circle jerking one another.

Nah. Here's the deal: Marvel started the MCU with Iron Man while DC was in the middle of a planned Nolan Bat trilogy. Marvel fans pee'd themselves with excitement (and rightfully so), and ALL comics fans were pumped to see whole crossover story-arcs planned for multiple movies. Meanwhile, Marvel released more than their share of terrible movies, too: IM 2 & 3, Thor 2 (and Tom Hiddleston rescues Thor 1 from being trash, too), and honestly, I thought Avengers AoU wasn't all that great either. But people don't rip them apart because they're "fun" and take place in the daytime, I suppose. They're all pretty vapid, very repetitive and are doing their best to drag out the Thanos angle for so long that nobody even cares about him anymore.

However, as soon as MoS was announced and word got out that a DCCU was going to be launched, a lot of people (and I'll say especially Marvel fans) started criticizing WB and DC for trying to "copy" Marvel's plans. And then when the movies turned out to be more "dark & gritty" the complaints were amplified by the mainstream film critics who are basing their reviews in the context of "light & fun" Marvel movies. And then the Marvel fans take to forum boards in droves to bash the DC films over and over and over again.

Do the DC movies have flaws - of course they do. All movies do, including all of the Marvel movies. I love IM 1, but honestly, it gets slow in the second half, and like I said 2 & 3 blow. The Thor movies are pretty boring, and the supporting characters around Thor & Loki are pretty useless (including Natalie Portman, who stinks in these movies, and Idris Elba who is woefully underused). GotG was really good, and was a great change of pace from the rest of the repetitive Marvel movies. Ant Man was pretty good, but most of that is because of Paul Rudd and the sidekicks. The story was pretty dumb. The Cap movies are great, especially the first one. Avengers 1 was good as an action movie, but had no story and a pretty weak "bad guy" (Loki and his swarm of invading aliens). Ultron was a good character in Avengers 2, as he increased his awareness, but holy crap the movie was a total slog, with an even sloggier 20 minute "Hey look, Hawkeye has a family" break in the middle.

My point is, DC fans (or at least me and my friends who are also DC fans) don't go online to attack the Marvel movies for DAYS after they release, and don't keep hammering on them after that, even if we really fon't like them. But Marvel fans do. They don't just say "Eh, the movie was slow, I still don't like Lois and Eisenberg stinks as Lex." They go after the people who say the do like it by calling out their integrity as cinephiles and trying to force them to defend WHY they like the movies. FOH with that crap. I say I like BvS and all the sudden I must be Zack Snyder, or I'm just a fanboy, or I don't know good movies. Because someone else doesn't like the movie's "pacing" or "editing."

Meanwhile the movie (just like MoS) is gonna make a buttload of money, and so too will the rest of the DCCU movies. And on top of that, the DCTVU shows are enormous, while AoS is dull as hell and Agent Carter stunk up its second season so badly it won't be renewed. However, boy do people just love the "dark & gritty" Netflix shows, huh? The ones that always take place at night, and where the hero breaks the villain's neck at the end? And take 10-13 hrs to tell a single story.

It's just obnoxious to have people constantly rag on something I actually DO like over and over and over again. Don't like the movie? Cool, man. Tell us why you didn't like it and then go watch something else. Hop on out and maybe pop back in after you watch the next movie. But this movie is making HUGE $$$ and has a 75% fan approval on RT. 3 outta 4 people who saw it liked it. I'm gonna go see it at least one more time.

So don't try to presume why I don't dislike the film. Dislike it yourself, but let the people who do like it, like it. You do you, let us do us.
+1

You sir have my respect.

Back
Top Bottom