DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

I don't see how this is a "bad" movie though. I'm someone who prefers Marvel's characters and stories way more than DC and I really enjoyed this film. And if we're just going on films in general and removing the comic book superhero aspect, it's nowhere near as bad as actual bad films are.

From the outside looking in, it looks like DC was in a no-win situation. If you guys wanted good for the franchise, it's definitely hard to tell. You want an actual bad movie, watch Jack and Jill with Adam Sandler. :lol:

"Now don't worry, we're not dealing with a travesty of Michael Bay proportions here. There is still plenty to be impressed with if you're a fan of things blowing up and people punching each other."

Is this not what most Superhero films go for though? :lol:
the first sentence is basically "do not worry, it's not the worst thing ever." :lol:

Savage :lol:

I just think the problem is all you DC fans have been starved of the shared universe you deserve. You've seen DC try to launch the shared universe twice now and it hasn't really gotten off the ground yet. So now here's a 3rd try. It's clearly a flawed movie - even the people who say they like the movie recognize it - but you guys stop short of ripping the movies to pieces cuz you want the DCU to flourish.

If this was just another DC movie in a long line of successful DCU movies, I think more of you would be willing to rip part your movies then. It'd just be a bad movie among a bunch of good movies.

Nah. Here's the deal: Marvel started the MCU with Iron Man while DC was in the middle of a planned Nolan Bat trilogy. Marvel fans pee'd themselves with excitement (and rightfully so), and ALL comics fans were pumped to see whole crossover story-arcs planned for multiple movies. Meanwhile, Marvel released more than their share of terrible movies, too: IM 2 & 3, Thor 2 (and Tom Hiddleston rescues Thor 1 from being trash, too), and honestly, I thought Avengers AoU wasn't all that great either. But people don't rip them apart because they're "fun" and take place in the daytime, I suppose. They're all pretty vapid, very repetitive and are doing their best to drag out the Thanos angle for so long that nobody even cares about him anymore.

However, as soon as MoS was announced and word got out that a DCCU was going to be launched, a lot of people (and I'll say especially Marvel fans) started criticizing WB and DC for trying to "copy" Marvel's plans. And then when the movies turned out to be more "dark & gritty" the complaints were amplified by the mainstream film critics who are basing their reviews in the context of "light & fun" Marvel movies. And then the Marvel fans take to forum boards in droves to bash the DC films over and over and over again.

Do the DC movies have flaws - of course they do. All movies do, including all of the Marvel movies. I love IM 1, but honestly, it gets slow in the second half, and like I said 2 & 3 blow. The Thor movies are pretty boring, and the supporting characters around Thor & Loki are pretty useless (including Natalie Portman, who stinks in these movies, and Idris Elba who is woefully underused). GotG was really good, and was a great change of pace from the rest of the repetitive Marvel movies. Ant Man was pretty good, but most of that is because of Paul Rudd and the sidekicks. The story was pretty dumb. The Cap movies are great, especially the first one. Avengers 1 was good as an action movie, but had no story and a pretty weak "bad guy" (Loki and his swarm of invading aliens). Ultron was a good character in Avengers 2, as he increased his awareness, but holy crap the movie was a total slog, with an even sloggier 20 minute "Hey look, Hawkeye has a family" break in the middle.

My point is, DC fans (or at least me and my friends who are also DC fans) don't go online to attack the Marvel movies for DAYS after they release, and don't keep hammering on them after that, even if we really fon't like them. But Marvel fans do. They don't just say "Eh, the movie was slow, I still don't like Lois and Eisenberg stinks as Lex." They go after the people who say the do like it by calling out their integrity as cinephiles and trying to force them to defend WHY they like the movies. FOH with that crap. I say I like BvS and all the sudden I must be Zack Snyder, or I'm just a fanboy, or I don't know good movies. Because someone else doesn't like the movie's "pacing" or "editing."

Meanwhile the movie (just like MoS) is gonna make a buttload of money, and so too will the rest of the DCCU movies. And on top of that, the DCTVU shows are enormous, while AoS is dull as hell and Agent Carter stunk up its second season so badly it won't be renewed. However, boy do people just love the "dark & gritty" Netflix shows, huh? The ones that always take place at night, and where the hero breaks the villain's neck at the end? And take 10-13 hrs to tell a single story.

It's just obnoxious to have people constantly rag on something I actually DO like over and over and over again. Don't like the movie? Cool, man. Tell us why you didn't like it and then go watch something else. Hop on out and maybe pop back in after you watch the next movie. But this movie is making HUGE $$$ and has a 75% fan approval on RT. 3 outta 4 people who saw it liked it. I'm gonna go see it at least one more time.

So don't try to presume why I don't dislike the film. Dislike it yourself, but let the people who do like it, like it. You do you, let us do us.

Take all of my reps. All of them.

I just think the problem is all you DC fans have been starved of the shared universe you deserve. You've seen DC try to launch the shared universe twice now and it hasn't really gotten off the ground yet. So now here's a 3rd try. It's clearly a flawed movie - even the people who say they like the movie recognize it - but you guys stop short of ripping the movies to pieces cuz you want the DCU to flourish.

If this was just another DC movie in a long line of successful DCU movies, I think more of you would be willing to rip part your movies then. It'd just be a bad movie among a bunch of good movies.

Nah. Here's the deal: Marvel started the MCU with Iron Man while DC was in the middle of a planned Nolan Bat trilogy. Marvel fans pee'd themselves with excitement (and rightfully so), and ALL comics fans were pumped to see whole crossover story-arcs planned for multiple movies. Meanwhile, Marvel released more than their share of terrible movies, too: IM 2 & 3, Thor 2 (and Tom Hiddleston rescues Thor 1 from being trash, too), and honestly, I thought Avengers AoU wasn't all that great either. But people don't rip them apart because they're "fun" and take place in the daytime, I suppose. They're all pretty vapid, very repetitive and are doing their best to drag out the Thanos angle for so long that nobody even cares about him anymore.

However, as soon as MoS was announced and word got out that a DCCU was going to be launched, a lot of people (and I'll say especially Marvel fans) started criticizing WB and DC for trying to "copy" Marvel's plans. And then when the movies turned out to be more "dark & gritty" the complaints were amplified by the mainstream film critics who are basing their reviews in the context of "light & fun" Marvel movies. And then the Marvel fans take to forum boards in droves to bash the DC films over and over and over again.

Do the DC movies have flaws - of course they do. All movies do, including all of the Marvel movies. I love IM 1, but honestly, it gets slow in the second half, and like I said 2 & 3 blow. The Thor movies are pretty boring, and the supporting characters around Thor & Loki are pretty useless (including Natalie Portman, who stinks in these movies, and Idris Elba who is woefully underused). GotG was really good, and was a great change of pace from the rest of the repetitive Marvel movies. Ant Man was pretty good, but most of that is because of Paul Rudd and the sidekicks. The story was pretty dumb. The Cap movies are great, especially the first one. Avengers 1 was good as an action movie, but had no story and a pretty weak "bad guy" (Loki and his swarm of invading aliens). Ultron was a good character in Avengers 2, as he increased his awareness, but holy crap the movie was a total slog, with an even sloggier 20 minute "Hey look, Hawkeye has a family" break in the middle.

My point is, DC fans (or at least me and my friends who are also DC fans) don't go online to attack the Marvel movies for DAYS after they release, and don't keep hammering on them after that, even if we really fon't like them. But Marvel fans do. They don't just say "Eh, the movie was slow, I still don't like Lois and Eisenberg stinks as Lex." They go after the people who say the do like it by calling out their integrity as cinephiles and trying to force them to defend WHY they like the movies. FOH with that crap. I say I like BvS and all the sudden I must be Zack Snyder, or I'm just a fanboy, or I don't know good movies. Because someone else doesn't like the movie's "pacing" or "editing."

Meanwhile the movie (just like MoS) is gonna make a buttload of money, and so too will the rest of the DCCU movies. And on top of that, the DCTVU shows are enormous, while AoS is dull as hell and Agent Carter stunk up its second season so badly it won't be renewed. However, boy do people just love the "dark & gritty" Netflix shows, huh? The ones that always take place at night, and where the hero breaks the villain's neck at the end? And take 10-13 hrs to tell a single story.

It's just obnoxious to have people constantly rag on something I actually DO like over and over and over again. Don't like the movie? Cool, man. Tell us why you didn't like it and then go watch something else. Hop on out and maybe pop back in after you watch the next movie. But this movie is making HUGE $$$ and has a 75% fan approval on RT. 3 outta 4 people who saw it liked it. I'm gonna go see it at least one more time.

So don't try to presume why I don't dislike the film. Dislike it yourself, but let the people who do like it, like it. You do you, let us do us.

Take all of my reps. All of them.

agreed, i think the MoS hate and BvS hate is misplaced and exaggerated. and im big on the marvel movies, and even i can say that some are def weaker than others.

Maybe, maybe not, but some people definitely have a bias. Is it that bad to admit a bias?

And Sea Manup is over in the Marvel thread telling people to come to this thread to see why they should like the movie less (presumably by reading his and some other NTers posts slagging it). No idea what makes someone want to drive people to like something less. I just don't get it. That's sociopathic.

can someone really layout what their beef with this movie is? or man of steel even? im seeing a lot of storytelling and pacing hate? anything specific?
nerd.gif
im not being confrontational and i don't want to read "professional critics" takes, just asking honestly in this thread. maybe there is something im not seeing.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
in a nutshell:

the editing and pacing is offensively awful. these are two things that need to be on point to make a good movie of any genre

the plot was very shallow, character motivations were unclear

action was messy with too much focus being put on slomo "gif moments" rather than putting together a fluid action scene 

the character of superman was portrayed to be a big stupid simp that hardly does anything heroic 

its a dark, humorless movie clearly not made for kids which is totally fine, except it doest cater to adults by giving any substance to the thematic elements of the story

It would randomly cut to totally unrelated scenes to set up future movies which left 90% of the general public confused, never really follows up on this since it has nothing to do with the core story arc

the score was laughably bad and didn't fit in with the dark serious tone of the movie

we are never told the moral limits of either of our heroes, which is required especially in a movie where they openly kill people. Why does batman do what he does? Why does superman do what he does? 

there is no real resolution to the core theme of should the people/government have power over superman

there is no good explanation for lex's plan to create doomsday nor is there any explanation of what he would do with doomsday if superman was killed by batman

in a batman v superman movie I should not be bored by the literally first scene in the movie

I could go on and on but I'll stop there...

I agree with a lot of this:

This is nonsensical pablum.

1. I am not a Marvel "fanboy" a no one has been able to explain to me why on earth would I be a fanboy for a GOD DAMN MOVIE STUDIO.

2. My LOVE of DC character is precisely what drives my total and abject hatred of these films.

3. People in the Marvel thread constantly **** on IM3 a movie I personally don't have a problem with.
Do you see me crying about it?

People in the X-Men thread constantly **** on Bryan Singer and Mystique prominence as a character.

Personally I like Bryan Singer and the new Mystique, am in the thread whining about how people are being mean to my beloved fictional characters?

The level of sensitivity surrounding this film is truly bonkers.

4. I don't understand why you are sitting here listing off the entire catalog of the two companies as,do you own stock in Warner brothers, how is that even relevant to this conversation? What Agent Carter and legends of towmorrow and netflix ect have to do with what we are talking about?

5. If like the movie THAT'S FINE. Nothing wrong with that. I find the film personally offensive, so I am using this DISCUSSION forum as a place to DISCUSS my grievances with the film.

i mean I would much rather have walked out of that movie feeling what you guys that liked it felt

that would have been good value for my money 
laugh.gif

but I didn't. 

I think you've missed the point of what I was trying to say. Marvel fans do criticize their own movies. We nitpick our movies to death and we argue among ourselves in our movie thread all the time. It's not really circle jerk in there nor do we always put our movies on a pedestal. Guys like OKB and Zik or Semanup, when they heavily criticize a DC movie, they're not doing anything different that they wouldn't do if they see flaws in a Marvel movie. I think that's just cuz the Marvel universe has already launched. Marvel has already put out a line of movies consistently so it ain't no thing if a particular movie gets picked apart. Once the DCU verse gets to that point, it'll be the same with you guys. No being defensive ej. ''You guys are marvel fanboys! ' 'Quit trolling us!' Instead of whining, it'll be 'I highly disagree. Here's why...' It'll just be back and forth with arguments and counterarguments instead of defaulting to 'Let us do you. We'll do us Let us live. Why you a hater.'

Last edited:
What BIAS?

Why would he be biased?

I can't figure this out.

Were talking about movies not politcal parties.

come on now. you know what he means

just like when madden fanboys use to want 2k games to fail

like wwe fans want every wrestling fed not under control of mcmahon to go out of business

people get some kind of joy out of repping the winning comic book brand and bashing the other

LIES.

Please stop lying. If you don't know or never see it just remain ignorant or educate yourself on this if you gonna speak on it.
This is just plain bias.

You should go to at least twitter if not comic book forums to see all of the DC fans that hate MOS and are posting how much they hate Snyder. I mean damn :smh:

Also Marvel fans did not accuse DC of copying Marvel. Last I recall they were saying DC should follow the same format. They criticized the idea of doing one movie cramming all the heroes in one movie.

Last edited:

What BIAS?

Why would he be biased?

I can't figure this out.

Were talking about movies not politcal parties.
come on now. you know what he means

just like when madden fanboys use to want 2k games to fail

like wwe fans want every wrestling fed not under control of mcmahon to go out of business

people get some kind of joy out of repping the winning comic book brand and bashing the other
but who in this thread is doing that?

Osh is a huge DC fan and dislikes the movie because (among other things) he thinks they made a mockery of the characters he grew up reading

I actually liked MoS more than most but think this movie fails on almost every level of filmmaking and storytelling

Back
Top Bottom