DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

is that a lot or not enough for a movie of this scale? sorry not too keen on movie budgets 

Rule of thumb I've heard is that you need to make twice your budget just to break even.

With a 410 budget you're basically announcing that you're hoping to make Avatar money

Last edited:
Rule of thumb I've heard is that you need to make twice your budget just to break even.

With a 410 budget you're basically announcing that you're hoping to make Avatar money

Thats really only to breakeven on production. Advertising is another issue

But if I am correct production budget doesnt necessarily mean "paid for by studio" if they get a $54M tax break for shooting in a certain location, thats 54M that they didnt pay for still included in the budget.

Damn they're really banking on this doing well over a billi if not 2.

If that is true and this movie only does 800 mil + or 900 mil that's barely breaking even. Think about that
laugh.gif
mean.gif

I actually hope that budget isn't true.
This just can't be true. It just can't. Like who would approved this?

Seriously, a $400+ million budget? That's dumbfounding to me. I was assuming $250+ million max. I guess they're assuming they'll get between $1.5-$2.0 billion worldwide (a la Jurassic World). The spread at craft services must have been epic.

Damn they're really banking on this doing well over a billi if not 2.

If that is true and this movie only does 800 mil + or 900 mil that's barely breaking even. Think about that :lol: :smh:

I actually hope that budget isn't true.

This just can't be true. It just can't. Like who would approved this?
Yeah it's insane :lol:

I mean along with the JL rumor it's worse. WB/DC doesn't want to live in a world where they give a movie a 500 mil budget and doing a billi would only be breaking even :x

The report says $500mil for both JL films, so it's $250k per film budget. So it isn't as bad as BvS, I think WB is willing to risk more on BvS because it is jump starting the universe by introducing bigger worlds and new characters. WB/DC probably sees it as a sink or swim time.

Still just a rumor though, just a year ago the rumored budget was $131mil, $100 less than MoS. So we'll see but I really wouldn't be surprised either because Snyder isn't new to going over budget. Doubt the other films are going to be getting this budget though.

Infinity War has a billion budget for both films, it's got to blow everybody's mind away because AoU couldn't outdo A1 box office wise (likely due to the decline of domestic box office). Of course this is an easier risk to swallow because Marvel Studios (they're just raking in the dollar bills these days) but I am curious at the diminishing return on Marvel films at that point and when the budget goes up that high?

250 for a cbm isn't bad. It's a little on the high side but considering it's JL, it's not crazy.

500 a piece for each Infinity War film is crazy to me. Idk if the films will make enough to justify the cost in the eyes of Marvel studios. From a consumer point of view, I love the budget lol

Last edited:
It's different for Infinity War cuz once Marvel sends out that promo pic or teaser vid letting ppl know all of the MCU heroes will be in the movie teaming up it's going to do 3 billi easy. Probably more internationally.

Last edited:
$400m is supposedly going to the actors, director, writers, producers, etc... Which is good because I assume some of those actors are getting a raise but considering the first two Avengers films were sub-$250m and Disney kind of sees AoU as a disappointment for making less than A1, I'd imagine they'd expect IW to make $1.8b-$2b each? Well maybe for the second one since the conclusion will likely get more viewers but either way those are very, VERY tall orders.

$3bil each? No way. Combined, easily.

3 bil combined wouldn't be enough to justify the cost in the eyes of Marvel. That's 1.5 each. JW, F7, and A2 have all done that, or close to that, on 200 ish mil budgets. Pretty sure I'm forgetting a 4th film..

The only thing I can think of that makes it not as crazy is that both IW movies may be shot back to back.

It will be shot back to back for 9 months plus re-shoots likely in between films.

3 bil combined wouldn't be enough to justify the cost in the eyes of Marvel. That's 1.5 each. JW, F7, and A2 have all done that, or close to that, on 200 ish mil budgets. Pretty sure I'm forgetting a 4th film..

Star Wars: Force Awakens

$400m is supposedly going to the actors, director, writers, producers, etc... Which is good because I assume some of those actors are getting a raise but considering the first two Avengers films were sub-$250m and Disney kind of sees AoU as a disappointment for making less than A1, I'd imagine they'd expect IW to make $1.8b-$2b each? Well maybe for the second one since the conclusion will likely get more viewers but either way those are very, VERY tall orders.

3billi each. Pt. 1 and Pt. 2. Easily.

Once kids see Spidey web slinging with Rocket on his back holding a big *** gun, Hulk & Groot, Iron Man in space with the rest of the Avengers and GotG it's over.

I mean pt. 1 is almost guaranteed for that and for pt. 2 not to reach that the movie would have to be really bad. You know they ending Pt. 1 on a cliffhanger to bring everybody back.

3billi each. Pt. 1 and Pt. 2. Easily.

Once kids see Spidey web slinging with Rocket on his back holding a big *** gun, Hulk & Groot, Iron Man in space with the rest of the Avengers and GotG it's over.

I mean pt. 1 is almost guaranteed for that and for pt. 2 not to reach that the movie would have to be really bad. You know they ending Pt. 1 on a cliffhanger to bring everybody back.

$3bil each... and easily?

No way!

If neither Avenger movie sniffed 2 Billi what makes you think pt.1 and pt.2 would do 3?!?! Not even Avatar did those numbers 
laugh.gif
. I say something around 2 is reasonable

Last edited:
2 is very reasonable. Would probably be enough to offset the reported budget. Especially if they push the hell out of merchandising. Lol

Back
Top Bottom