Conan O'Brien -- Free at Last

Damn I always miss Craig Ferguson's openings
laugh.gif

i dnt know why everybody is mad at leno, from what i got from it was that conan's show was doin crap ratings, they asked leno to come back he said sure ifconan was cool with it, he wasnt nbc didnt care they said by to conan? i dnt understand why leno is in the wrong, conan could of had said "your right the11:30 crowd doesnt like me"? could have he not?

by the way i like both equally and prefer kimmel

havent peeped out the thread... im about to catch up.... but did anyone see Kimmel air out Leno the other day? it was dope.

EDIT...

saw the vid on page 20. kimmel is a G.

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

i dnt know why everybody is mad at leno, from what i got from it was that conan's show was doin crap ratings, they asked leno to come back he said sure if conan was cool with it, he wasnt nbc didnt care they said by to conan? i dnt understand why leno is in the wrong, conan could of had said "your right the 11:30 crowd doesnt like me"? could have he not?
you're missing the whole point, maybe you should read this thread from page one, and also read conans letter

paraphrasing letterman

"When you make a promise to retire, then retire..don't stick around in the lobby and wait for the next man that drops dead"

i dnt know why everybody is mad at leno, from what i got from it was that conan's show was doin crap ratings, they asked leno to come back he said sure if conan was cool with it, he wasnt nbc didnt care they said by to conan? i dnt understand why leno is in the wrong, conan could of had said "your right the 11:30 crowd doesnt like me"? could have he not?

You don't can a show that's just starting out with a new host 7 months in. If that was the case Jimmy Fallon should've been cannedfirst. To be clear they canceled Leno's prime time "comedy" cuz they were getting destroyed at the 10 o clock hour. Not to mention that show wasso %#%!$$ it was a terrible lead in to Late night.

No, Leno was getting the **** ratings, it was in the tank at 10. NBC wanted to keep it as is, but the affiliates said that the low ratings of Lenomessed up their local news at 11's ratings, which ultimately affected Conan's ratings.

When it comes to TV, the lead in show needs to get the viewers to keep watching the shows afterwards. Leno's show wasn't cutting it.

So to appease the affiliates, NBC wanted Leno at 11:35 and The Tonight Show at 12:05.
Understandably, Conan felt it wasn't the Tonight Show anymore if it was at 12:05 since it's always been at 11:30 since 1954.

Ultimately, Conan wanted no part in it.

People are disappointed in Jay because he promised the show to Conan 5 years ago. He, of all people, should know the legacy of the Tonight Show and just stepaside, get paid by NBC, and let Conan be the new head.

playing devil's advocate cuz I like both shows:

Put yourself in Jay's shoes. If NBC asked you to go back to the Tonight Show(which is the flagship of late-night shows, along with making more money),would you honestly say no, do the noble thing and walk away so that Conan keeps the show? Be really honest now cuz showbusiness is cut-throat.

And, would Conan do the same thing? Food for thought before you jump on Coco's side without knowing all the facts.

Originally Posted by sickickz23

Put yourself in Jay's shoes. If NBC asked you to go back to the Tonight Show(which is the flagship of late-night shows, along with making more money), would you honestly say no, do the noble thing and walk away so that Conan keeps the show? Be really honest now cuz showbusiness is cut-throat.

And, would Conan do the same thing? Food for thought before you jump on Coco's side without knowing all the facts.
Like Letterman and Stern have said when he said he would give Conan the show 5 years ago he should've went to go get a job at FOX or ABC. Hewould've got it and possibly paid more. That's what I would've done in his shoes.

The facts are that Leno openly said that he wanted his show back after Conan got it.

Then he agreed to moving The Tonight Show back to 12:05, moving the most iconic show of all time from it's original spot.

And Conan wasn't having it and left because they tried to move the show, so yeah... Conan did the right thing. Conan put the show and what's rightahead of his personal goals about it. He could have stayed on the Tonight Show at 12:05 and still gotten paid all his money, but the integrity of the showwould have been compromised.

pimp.gif
good work to the guys above refuting that posters claims about Leno

Put yourself in Jay's shoes. If NBC asked you to go back to the Tonight Show(which is the flagship of late-night shows, along with making more money), would you honestly say no, do the noble thing and walk away so that Conan keeps the show? Be really honest now cuz showbusiness is cut-throat.

If I was in Jay's shoes, had his money, and also said:
"When I took this show over there was a lot of animosity between me and Dave and who's going to get it, and quite frankly a lot of good friendships were permanently damaged and I don't want to see anybody have to go through that again. You know, this show is like a dynasty-you hold it and then you hand it off to the next person and I don't want to see all the fighting and all the who's better and nasty things back and forth in the press so right now, here it is, Conan it's yours. See you in five years, buddy."
five years ago on national television, I would have taken the L and bowed out gracefully and enjoyed my extensive car collection.

Asking if Conan would do the same thing, honestly I think he would. Of course that's debatable, but he also didn't want to be pushed back because hedidn't want Fallon and Carson to be pushed back even later.

This dude Jay is caking, a millionaire if I should add. He's had the Tonight Show for 17 years and made a promise to Conan 5 years ago. Hecould of easily just got a buyout and chilled. It's Conan time in the spotlight, Jay benefits nothing from going back to the Tonight show.

indifferent.gif

Really though?

You couldn't read through this thread, this has been answered already but I'm sure people on here will give you an answer to your question

People really dont know how caked up Jay Leno is, dude is like 65 with money hanging out the $@*+(diddy style)

roll.gif
@ Robin Williams tonight. David Letterman needs to fly out to LA tomorrow to be onConan's show. that will be the ultimate %*!% you to NBC.

u guys are crazy, your saying it takes more than 250 days for u guys to like someone? name me something that takes more than a half a year till relize that ucant cut it he had plenty of time! and why are u guys acting like conan is a brand new host the guy has been doin comedy for probably 10 yrs (just a guess),his name is already out there he shouldnt take that long to draw people in like a new host, u can only blam yourself for not watching and him for not appealingto the 11:30 crowd like i said i like both but stop making it out to seem like jay is a bad guy

u guys are portraying it like he had it planned out all along, and i sure in the hell hope u guys aernt brett farve fans, talk about calling the kettle black

and dont try to act like conan isnt goin to come out on top hes getting 30 million to leave and can then make movies and other stuff maybe find another latenightalk show

I've always been curious, does watching it on hulu add to the ratings? I've caught 70% of his shows on there since the beginning, only watched it livetwice.

u guys are crazy, your saying it takes more than 250 days for u guys to like someone? name me something that takes more than a half a year till relize that u cant cut it he had plenty of time! and why are u guys acting like conan is a brand new host the guy has been doin comedy for probably 10 yrs (just a guess), his name is already out there he shouldnt take that long to draw people in like a new host, u can only blam yourself for not watching and him for not appealing to the 11:30 crowd like i said i like both but stop making it out to seem like jay is a bad guy

u guys are portraying it like he had it planned out all along, and i sure in the hell hope u guys aernt brett farve fans, talk about calling the kettle black

and dont try to act like conan isnt goin to come out on top hes getting 30 million to leave and can then make movies and other stuff maybe find another late nightalk show
I was going to just ignore this post since you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm bored so I'll break it down foryou.

name me something that takes more than a half a year till relize that u cant cut it he had plenty of time!
Leno wasn't successful overnight, it took him a few years to build an audience at the 11:35 spot. Conan at 12:35 and then Conan on theTonight Show are two very different audiences. Since Leno was still on the network, any fans of Leno who might have converted to Conan wouldn't becausethey could just watch Jay earlier. Not to mention, you don't just push a guy out after 7 months on The Tonight Show. NBC knew what they were doing byremoving Leno when he was #1, then bringing in a completely different style of comedy and expect middle of America (who have the worst taste in comedy) toautomatically love Conan.
While Jay didn't plan this all, he did have the opportunity to avoid it. 6 years ago NBC told him they were giving the show to Conan in 2009in order to avoid THE VERY SAME PROBLEM that occured between Leno and Letterman when Carson retired. Jay agreed, but then complained and openly said he wantedthe Tonight Show back. Also, rather than bowing out gracefully and leaving, he agreed to go on at 10pm with his awful Jay Leno show. So rather than givingConan the spotlight and accepting his turn to leave, Leno opted to stay and hang around despite agreeing to leave.

Bringing Brett Favre into this is completely stupid.

and dont try to act like conan isnt goin to come out on top hes getting 30 million to leave and can then make movies and other stuff maybe find another late nightalk show
Well Conan was going to be paid around that much money over the course of two years anyway, so he's not coming out on top at all, he'sjust getting what he is contractually owed. Not to mention it isn't just about the money for him. Conan rejected NBC's moving of the Tonight Show to12:05 and said he wouldn't take part in what he saw as the destruction of an iconic program. MEANWHILE Jay was in agreement and support of the move whichwould put him back on at 11:35.

Leno tries to appear as the nice guy and just following NBC's orders, but he's just a snake and clearly doesn't care about The Tonight Show, if hedid then he wouldn't have agreed for it to be moved and he would have just allowed Conan to have it. It's clear throughout it all that Leno just wantsthe spotlight, while Conan actually wanted to do something new and different with the show.

NBC has truly screwed themselves for the future when Jay will eventually retire because he can't do the show forever.

Back
Top Bottom