College Hoops, over? Always next season...SI's Top 10 for 08-09

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

D.Rose told me yesterday that he staying. and CDR coming back for his senior year, so we balling

roll.gif
roll.gif

If you say so....

man, UCLA got demolished.

collison, westbrook, and klove all signing with agents.

holliday's gonna be pissed when he arrives on campus and all that's left is josh shipp
laugh.gif

i'm sure holiday knew before the season even began that love and collison were likely leaving after the season. and i bet he knew by mid season thatwestbrook was gonna leave with all the buzz about him.

The league should and probably will actually be better than this year...even though there still might not be an elite team

Originally Posted by Krisp Kicks

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by allen3xis

For a National Title? no.

A Top 10 team? probably

Whether we like it or not....all they're going to be losing is Nelson. and the transfer of King.....they get the addition of Elliot Williams.

And the ACC is going to be awful again..

Still no inside presence, but no reason they won't do what they did this year and have a good start to the season and then lose in the 2nd round or Sweet 16

I'll concede that they'll be a top 10 team all year again, only because they won't play a true OOC road game, and will benefit from having a cakewalk in the ACC. They will lose early in the tourney next year too. This team has crippled down the stretch the last three seasons. They have nothing that makes me believe they can be a special team. I just find it absurd that this loser put them in his top 10 after they got absolutely embarrassed in the tournament and their team remains practically the same. Duke wasn't even a top 20 team after the tournament in my eyes.
grin.gif
The rankings aren't post season/tournament rankings anyway, so if they will be a top 10 team all season, why is it absurd to rank them there?
ohwell.gif

I guess I should have been a little more clear. This guy actually thinks Duke is a title contender next year. He thinks they'll be one of the best 10teams in the nation. Duke can win all the games they want next year and be ranked in the top 10 as long as they want to. They still won't be one of thebest 10 teams in the nation regardless of what the rankings say. The ACC sucks, and I should know since I have to watch these sorry +#% teams (including mine)for four months of the year. When was the last time Duke even played a real OOC road game?

To put them in the top 10 after their showing in the tournament is pathetic. They don't have the talent to get them to where they want to be. Likesomebody else said, they're a team of shooter that CAN'T shoot.

5. KANSAS - Senior All-Americas are a dying breed, but KU should have one in point guard Mario ­Chalmers -- plus a breakout star in Sherron Collins, who finished an injury-riddled season with a superb performance off the bench in the title game.
pimp.gif

DaJoka

The top 10 for next season is not based on this past NCAA tournament. Just so you realize it. They are losing 1 key contributor off a team that was ranked inthe top 5 for most of last season, but IMO they aren't losing much because Scheyer is good, and Elliot Williams will come in and contribute.

They schedule has as many hard OOC games as MOST other elite teams, both at home and on the road. UNC certainly doesn't play a tougher schedule than themfrom year to year.

You can dislike/criticize Duke all you want, it's to be expected. But there is a reason they are consistently mentioned as one of the elite teams of thelast 2 decades. They win consistently, are ranked in the top 10 consistently, and have made more than their fair share of Sweet 16s (before the last 2 years,they set a NCAA record for most consecutive) and Final Fours. Them being ranked in the top ten last year was not a fluke, they played their schedule and beatalmost every good team they faced. It will be more of the same in this coming season, they will win games, play great in the regular season, and be rankedhighly for the majority of the year. Then the tournament will come around and most likely they will not make it past the Sweet 16.

Carry on.

I have another question though for my fellow ACC fans. Why do you all think Maryland, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest have fallen off SO hard the last few years?Them being top 25 teams consistently for so long, their fall is what has really weakened the ACC. What happened? Some key players left early, but all goodprograms have this happen to them. These three have essentially not even been competitive. I know Skip died, but even in his last year or two they weren'tthat good. Whats goin on, and will these teams recover and make the ACC a top flight conference again?

DaJoka

The top 10 for next season is not based on this past NCAA tournament. Just so you realize it. They are losing 1 key contributor off a team that was ranked in the top 5 for most of last season, but IMO they aren't losing much because Scheyer is good, and Elliot Williams will come in and contribute.

They schedule has as many hard OOC games as MOST other elite teams, both at home and on the road. UNC certainly doesn't play a tougher schedule than them from year to year.

You can dislike/criticize Duke all you want, it's to be expected. But there is a reason they are consistently mentioned as one of the elite teams of the last 2 decades. They win consistently, are ranked in the top 10 consistently, and have made more than their fair share of Sweet 16s (before the last 2 years, they set a NCAA record for most consecutive) and Final Fours. Them being ranked in the top ten last year was not a fluke, they played their schedule and beat almost every good team they faced. It will be more of the same in this coming season, they will win games, play great in the regular season, and be ranked highly for the majority of the year. Then the tournament will come around and most likely they will not make it past the Sweet 16.

Carry on.

In the last four seasons they've played @ Temple and @ Indiana. That's it for true road games. Neutral sites aren't true road games.

Officially the rankings aren't based on last year's tournament, but you're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't have some influence onvoters' minds.

Them being ranked in the top 10 was a fluke, evident by their near loss to lowly Belmont and their pathetic performance against WVU. And if you'reconceding that they will lose early in the tournament again next year, why do you think they're anything special? Of course they'll be ranked high;they're Duke. I'm sure they'll be in the top 7 to start the year. But they won't deserve it.

DaJoka

The top 10 for next season is not based on this past NCAA tournament. Just so you realize it. They are losing 1 key contributor off a team that was ranked in the top 5 for most of last season, but IMO they aren't losing much because Scheyer is good, and Elliot Williams will come in and contribute.

They schedule has as many hard OOC games as MOST other elite teams, both at home and on the road. UNC certainly doesn't play a tougher schedule than them from year to year.

You can dislike/criticize Duke all you want, it's to be expected. But there is a reason they are consistently mentioned as one of the elite teams of the last 2 decades. They win consistently, are ranked in the top 10 consistently, and have made more than their fair share of Sweet 16s (before the last 2 years, they set a NCAA record for most consecutive) and Final Fours. Them being ranked in the top ten last year was not a fluke, they played their schedule and beat almost every good team they faced. It will be more of the same in this coming season, they will win games, play great in the regular season, and be ranked highly for the majority of the year. Then the tournament will come around and most likely they will not make it past the Sweet 16.

Carry on.

In the last four seasons they've played @ Temple and @ Indiana. That's it for true road games. Neutral sites aren't true road games.

Officially the rankings aren't based on last year's tournament, but you're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't have some influence on voters' minds.

Them being ranked in the top 10 was a fluke, evident by their near loss to lowly Belmont and their pathetic performance against WVU. And if you're conceding that they will lose early in the tournament again next year, why do you think they're anything special? Of course they'll be ranked high; they're Duke. I'm sure they'll be in the top 7 to start the year. But they won't deserve it.

Them being ranked in the top 10 was a fluke? Ummm No. Last season they beat Marquette on a neutral site, Wisconsin (the Big Ten champ and top 10 team allseason) by almost 30 when they were ranked 5th in the country. Beat Davidson at Davidson (they are the 8th best team in the country according to your formula).They are also one of 2 teams to beat UNC all year (by the way it was @ UNC and they won by 11). UNC was ranked #1 at the time and was in the top 3 all season.They finished with a record of 28-6, with at least 2 of those losses being very unfortunate. I will continue to say their schedule year in and year out iscomparable to most other top programs in the country. Some years their OOC is tougher, some years it is easier, and it is not their fault the ACC is in adownswing.

Mayhaps you are confusing the rankings and post-season performance? Did you watch the WVU game? They were up at halftime and appeared to be controlling thegame. Teams get hot all the time in College Bball. Barely beating Duke in one game does not mean Belmont is great, or that Duke is not a better team than them.Duke played particularly bad at the end of the season, does this mean they shouldn't have been ranked highly the whole year when they were playingextremely well?

I am not mad, but you seem to be misinformed. Obviously all the people ranking teams seem to disagree with you, and if last seasons tournament ISinfluencing them as you stated, why do they all rank Duke highly still? I am sure you will say "because they are overrated"...this is ok as it isyour opinion, but don't bother. I'm already saying it for you.

I also don't agree with your formula of the last 8 or 16 teams left in the tournament are automatically the best teams in the country. For example ifDavidson played in even the ACC for example, they probably would have a difficult time getting an at large bid to the tournament. Memphis plays a way weakerschedule every year than Duke, does this mean they are a bad team?

I think you have been proved to be wrong, but I doubt you will accept the L with any grace or dignity.

Until we get a legit big man and can score in a half court game we will continue to have great seasons but have a rough time in the tourney's. Plain andsimple

I'm curious, did you think GU was overrated going into the tournament?

All I'm saying is that Duke was overrated because they were Duke. Losing to WVU wasn't a shocker for anybody that followed CBB this season. They were ateam that couldn't rebound and relied too much on the three and didn't exactly shoot lights out from there. I'm sorry, but if you struggle to beatBelmont, then get handled by WVU in the second half, you weren't one of the 10 best teams in the country. No, Davidson isn't the #8 team in thecountry, but could you argue with putting them ahead of Duke? Some teams do get hot in the tourney and some come up flat. Except Duke didn't come up flat.That's who they were. Duke is the only team that could lose four out of their final nine games leading up to the tourney and still be ranked in the top 10.

I would argue Duke is better than Davidson. I'm not sure if you are aware but the 2 teams met last season @ Davidson. Duke won.
embarassed.gif

You sounds like you have a problem with Duke on a personal level.

I don't see how Duke is more overrated, or underrated, than any other team on that list. Purdue wasn't exactly beastly in the tournament, and theirroster impresses me WAY less than Duke's. They are ranked 4th!. UCONN had a few good weeks all season, lost to terrible teams all year, and didn't doanything in the tournament. They are ranked 2ND! G'town lost to the same team Duke beat in the regular season. It's a preseason projection on where theteams will be ranked next season. Seems ok to me, we will have to wait until next year to see.

Duke is a flawed team that will have some difficulty making a deep tournament run. They will beat alot of good teams next year, win alot of games, and get ahigh ranking all season, and a high seed in the Tournament. Deal with it.

Do I need to continue to expose the flaw in your logic?

Dre- His name was Al-Farouq Aminu....I remember reading that news story when word broke on him.. The Wake fans were in shock mode on their rivals board.

As far as Bobby Frasor goes dude was solid defensively. He won the Defense player of the game award like 7 times before getting injured. So he defiantly wouldhave been a factor. But to say we would have won it all if he was playing is like saying we would have won it all if Jason Richards would have hit that gamewinner against Kansas to go to the Final 4
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

Dre- His name was Al-Farouq Aminu....I remember reading that news story when word broke on him.. The Wake fans were in shock mode on their rivals board.

Yep. That was him . Thanks

roll.gif
Oooooooooooook.

Pending how everyone questioned them this (last season) they did better than last year in the tournament.

06-07: Loss to VCU in First round

07-08: Loss to WV in Second round

08-09: ??? (Sweet 16)

09-10: ??? (Elite
glasses.gif

10-11: ??? (Final Four)

11-12: ??? (Loss in Championship game)
12-13: ??? (Win National Championship)

I'm a huge Carolina fan, but it would be funny to see them win it 2012, and for myself to remember that I predicted it.
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
eyes.gif

DreClark, keep your head up, just wait 5 seasons...
laugh.gif

If Duke would have kept shooting the three they could've played with anyone in the country..if not any team was capable of knocking them off..thats justthe way it is..a big man would really help that however.

Back
Top Bottom