CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLIDER (04/04/14) - BluRay 09/09/14

Not sure if they would add Zemo to the mix since Baron Von Strucker is going to be on multiple films. I know different characters but seems redundant to have him and Zemo at the same time as one could play each others role.

Also, there was a guy named Alexander Lukin (Redford is Alexander Pierce) that worked for the Government (might have been German govt?) and revealed himself to be Red Skull? My memory isn't great on Caps history so maybe others can chime in.

The clip with Batroc and the pirates was dope. I aint gonna watch no more, I've seen enough in trailers and commercials to be interested. I can only spoil myself from here on out.

Not sure if they would add Zemo to the mix since Baron Von Strucker is going to be on multiple films. I know different characters but seems redundant to have him and Zemo at the same time as one could play each others role.

Also, there was a guy named Alexander Lukin (Redford is Alexander Pierce) that worked for the Government (might have been German govt?) and revealed himself to be Red Skull? My memory isn't great on Caps history so maybe others can chime in.
damn i thought they had agent smith still signed as red skull

They do.

There's been no confirmation that Redford is the Red Skull. Just speculation.

They do.

nah i dont think he the red skull
cause they still need to setup what happened to him after getting transported with the cube and where he been and what he been doing

They do.

cause they still need to setup what happened to him after getting transported with the cube and where he been and what he been doing
Well if he is they could just do all that in this movie.

Last edited:

They do.

yeah they can easily explain that in a quick 2-minute flashback once if he reveals himself as red Skull.

And they do have Weaving on contract to be Red Skull, he just said he didn't want to do it anymore but he really has no choice if Marvel enforces his contract to be Red Skull.

Not really spoilers but some movie details, avoid if you want to go see the movie fresh.

Taking inspiration from Three Days of the Condor, the early part of the film is spent encouraging the audience to care about Cap, and then putting him in jeopardy for the rest of the film.

When we find Cap in this movie, he’s in the midst of a daily life and has adjusted, more or less, to the modern world.

A core theme surrounding Cap is the idea that he once used to represent America and has now become alien to modern thoughts and values due to the passage of time.

The screenwriters see Cap as their “Gary Cooper”.

Mackie plays Sam Wilson as a “strong man as opposed to a comic book character.”

The Falcon’s wings are CG, though they had a practical pair on set for reference.

As part of his preparation, Mackie developed character sub-plots in which Black Widow is a romantic love interest and Nick Fury is a father figure. Keep an eye out for that in the movie.

The Falcon is a little more outwardly funny, but is very much a 21st century human being.

The Falcon’s origin is more organic than the Red Skull plot arc from the comics.

Sebastian Stan only knew (officially) that he’d be playing the Winter Soldier about a year before shooting. He found out the title at Comic-Con along with everyone else.

Stan says he had no clue that Marvel was planning on going in this direction, but wishes he had known during filming of his torture scene in Captain America: The First Avenger.

Stan wanted to tie in the Bucky character from the first film with the Winter Soldier character from this one, but the main focus is on the present-day iteration.

Stan suffered a burst blood vessel in his eye on set, but used the “cool” look to add to his character.

Stan promises that, although he wears a mask, his voice won’t sound anything like Bane.

Anthony Mackie doesn't know if he's in Avengers 2. "If I'm in Avengers 2, everyone will know it 'cause I'm gonna run through Times Square butt *** naked with Avengers 2 tattooed across my chest," Mackie said laughing. "It's a huge honor to be a part of the group of people they've put together. Because Marvel - they don't go for great looking people who could be superheroes, they go for good actors who can make superheroes come to life. So, to be a part of Avengers would be really cool."

The backstory between Winter Soldier and Black Widow is not expected to be explored in this film, but it is acknowledged.

The Russos stressed how strong the initial script was and how supportive Marvel has been with making the movie they want to make.

Joe Russo compared the cinematic version of Ed Brubaker’s Winter Soldier storyline to that of Star Wars, saying that seeing this level of emotional stakes of this hero’s journey is rare.

The movie is set up on dual storylines early on that eventually intersect with Cap taking over.

Action sequences in the movie, like car chases for example, are influenced by films like To Live and Die in L.A., and Ronin.

There is a Three Days of the Condor Easter egg in the film, but it’s of the “pause your DVD and look” variety.

There’s a “very big idea that they’re exploring in the third act of this movie. It’s a sort of monumental idea for the MCU [that] impacts everything.”

There will also be a Brubaker Easter egg.

Stan Lee will have a cameo in this film.

Screenwriters Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus wanted to write a conspiracy thriller and avoided having Cap struggle to understand modern conveniences.

Black Widow was specifically chosen to partner up with Cap because she represents a gray morality and a modern era, along with being the right person to poke at his weak spots.

98% of the movies takes place in the present, with only 2% in flashbacks. They experimented with a heavy flashback structure in early tests.

The movie is not intentionally designed to set things up for future Marvel sequels or to end on a cliffhanger.

Frank Grillo’s Crossbones character is “learning to be Crossbones in a way” in this movie. There’s a possibility of him cross into the R-rated boundary (and beyond) “somewhere down the line.”

Sharon Carter/Agent 13 (Emily VanCamp) is described as “another option for Captain America and for Steve Rogers to think about moving forward in his life.”

The Winter Soldier is described as a “negative image of Steve [Rogers].”

As Markus says, “This movie is going to punch you in the face.”

Captain America: The Winter Soldier will pull from multiple comics over the years in which Cap fought against the changing status quo of what it means to be American.

The film takes place after the events of Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3, but may not overtly callback to those films.

Robert Redford wanted to do the film in part because his grandkids are fans of Marvel movies and he wanted them to see him in one.

Marvel and Feige are on guard to avoid painting themselves into a corner storywise.

As much as fans think Marvel is putting out misinformation campaigns, Feige denies it and says that fan rumors do enough of that on their own.

is sharon carter peggy carters daughter????????????
the female he was suppose to smash in the first film

I read a Mackie interview and it was straight jokes :lol: Initially it had me wondering what the **** is wrong with him

But, you know, with me, what I love is The Falcon kind of lived in three different incarnations. There was the first incarnation where he had on a black and green suit, and he was a drug-dealing pimp from Harlem that crashed going down to Brazil to pick up drugs and became a superhero. Okay. And then there was--

......So when I heard they were using the latter one, I'm like, "Well, that's not what I signed up -- I want a bird in spandex and prostitutes and cocaine." But, you know, that's the Marvel Universe.

Anthony Mackie Soars as "Captain America: The Winter Soldier's" Falcon

:rofl:

Probably granddaughter.

Last edited:
I read a Mackie interview and it was straight jokes :lol: Initially it had me wondering what the **** is wrong with him

But, you know, with me, what I love is The Falcon kind of lived in three different incarnations. There was the first incarnation where he had on a black and green suit, and he was a drug-dealing pimp from Harlem that crashed going down to Brazil to pick up drugs and became a superhero. Okay. And then there was--

......So when I heard they were using the latter one, I'm like, "Well, that's not what I signed up -- I want a bird in spandex and prostitutes and cocaine." But, you know, that's the Marvel Universe.

Anthony Mackie Soars as "Captain America: The Winter Soldier's" Falcon

:rofl:

Probably granddaughter.
oh ok so they really havent even talked about this sharon carter that much

Dude is funny and looks like he is just having fun.

Anthony Mackie doesn't know if he's in Avengers 2. "If I'm in Avengers 2, everyone will know it 'cause I'm gonna run through Times Square butt *** naked with Avengers 2 tattooed across my chest," Mackie said laughing.

[h1]On Set Interview: Directors Joe and Anthony Russo Talk ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’[/h1]You guys knew you were wired for it, but were you surprised you landed on the radar for a gig like this?

Joe Russo: As a fan of this stuff, I’d known for years … My brother and I, when we first got into the business, tried to get the rights to The Lord of the Rings. There was a period in the 90s when they were available for a second. We just know how difficult it is to take that kind of material and turn it into something of that scale. So, I think he had seen the paintball episode on Community. He thinks outside the box. “You know what, these guys get action, clearly they’re skewing genre on the show, so they understand genre and how to deconstruct it. Maybe they have a secret love for it,” which we did.

What are some of the challenges and advantages of coming into the Marvel Universe, that already exists in its own right, and trying to create something new and take some of the different turns that you guys are taking?

Joe Russo: There hasn’t been any real challenges for us, to be honest; I know that sounds crazy, but it really has been all advantages, you know? It’s a great piece of material, we have great actors who understand their characters, like I said, we got to reboot a little bit on the tone, which is great. Almost everything, all the ideas that came to the table are in the movie. It so rarely happens that way. So, creatively, it’s been a very rewarding film for us. We were just saying, the most fulfilling job of our careers. Arrested Development was a struggle, that was a very difficult show, where the studio was not supportive of it; it was the red-headed stepchild when we were making it. There were quotes that were thrown our way that were vaguely insulting while we were making it with Mitch coming from the network, so it was made under conflict and controversy. I think that show became what it became because the three of us – me, Anthony and Mitch – didn’t give a ****, because we had nothing to lose at that time. So we said, “Alright, we’ll make it as radical as we want to because what do we care? They already don’t think the show’s going to work.” That’s one environment to work under; this has been the exact opposite of that. It’s been support and real infrastructure.

What are some of the other pros and cons of being in the Marvel Cinematic Universe tapestry? Planting the right Easter eggs here or there, not getting too distracted by that stuff? For you guys, what’s been the challenge.

Joe Russo: Yeah, the fun part of that, if you are a comic book geek like me, you get off on that stuff. That’s the exciting component of that, “What can we set up for the future?” And they’re constantly pitching out ideas that not only just effects your movie, but might also have a ripple effect in the other films, and Joss [Whedon] is reading the scripts, the Thor script and the Cap script, and going, “Okay, this is where I’m getting the characters and this is where I have to pick them up in the next movie.” So, it’s a a weird sort of, I don’t know, tapestry of writers and directors working together to create this universe. It’s sort of organic, it’s not structured. Of course, there are things you can always go borrow from the storylines of the books, but it stays very fluid, the process.

Anthony Russo: Also, I think it comes very natural to us because the work we did on Arrested Development and Community, we played with a lot of foreshadowing and callbacks and…

Joe Russo: And layering.

Anthony Russo: And tracking that stuff over a season of television, or multiple seasons, it’s just something that’s in our … we’re sort of patterned for it anyway. I think that’s one reason why we may have made a nice fit here at Marvel. It’s like we sort of understand how you take a larger story and wrangle it into a moment, yet keep them connected.

You mentioned earlier about having no challenges, but is there a particular aspect of this film, maybe a sequence that you were getting into that really excited you?

Joe Russo: Absolutely! I mean, look, we are action nuts, really. We do study action movies. My DVD player, or my AppleTV lives at quarter-speed. I watch things and try to dissect them. It’s one of the things that was so exciting on Community for us, we’re constantly skewing genre; we’re genre nuts. So there were a couple of action sequences that we knew were going to be really complex. We wanted to bring some style of action that maybe hasn’t been seen in American movies in a little while, just the style of fighting and an intensity so that we really feel it. These stunt guys are really taking hits. It’s a very visceral execution of a lot of the stuff. We had a huge sequence in Cleveland where we had to shut down the freeway for two weeks. We always knew that that would probably be the most difficult part of the shoot, not only because of the length of the action sequence, but just fighting the elements, being outside, the city got upset, clearly, because they were all enduring traffic for a movie. But those sequences are the ones we really get the most excited about, because one of our big pitches to Kevin and one of the things that really attracted us to the movie was the ability to come at it with a fresh point of view really on the action front, you know? It’s very gritty. We’re working with Spiro Razatos, who does all the Fast movies, as a second unit director. The three of us got very engaged in how far can we push things, how aggressive can we make them look. There are some cool car chases in the movie that are very influenced by 70s chases … To Live and Die in L.A., I’m a huge fan of Ronin, I think that movie’s genius. I think [John] Frankenheimer schooled everybody as an 80-year-old, you know, “This is how you do it.” So it’s got a lot of that. I think Ronin might be the biggest influence on the car stuff in the movie, just in terms of the sound work that he did on that film, the aggressiveness of the camera work, how close could we get the cameras to the cars, a few cameras were destroyed in the process, that kind of stuff. But it’s all about pushing it, pushing it, and pushing it.

Anthony Russo: What most excited us, too, is how we come up with these great action set pieces that play to Cap as a character as much as possible. Looking at him and how he’s unique in the Marvel universe and what sets him apart, and the fact that, essentially, he’s a man only more so. It’s not flying across the sky, or transforming into something else. So we sort of came up with an approach of a hard-hitting, hardcore realism version of what a superhero movie can be on an action level.

Do you get creative with the shield?

Joe Russo: We do get creative with the shield! That was a big thing for us. The approach for us with Cap was this: In the 40s, it makes sense. He’s off the streets. He can fight like John Sullivan. It’s that style of big swings, the shield’s very pronounced, because he hasn’t necessarily been trained yet. Now that he’s in the future, he has a fast mind – it’s part of what the serum does to him – it’s a tactical mind, he learns things quickly. So for us, our approach was, he would absorb everything in that year, year and a half, all the training that he could possibly get, you know? And all the tools at his disposal would be affected by that training, so there are some interesting moments with the shield where he even uses just one handle on it. He uses it more in an Eastern style to fight people. We figured, for us, those are the things that excite me about the character. I like post-modern … when [Frank] Miller released The Dark Knight and I was like 12 or 13, it blew my mind, and it changed my whole approach to comic books. I like post-modern deconstruction of heroes. It just feels to me like there’s more layers there for the character. Included in that would be, how do we make Cap modern? How do we make him feel modern? And that’s what I like about the MCU versus the comic books. Look, I’ve already read it; I don’t need to see the literal interpretation of that. My imagination’s pretty good, I can sit at home and figure that stuff out. I want to go see some fresh … If we didn’t support people like Brubaker, we’d never have the Winter Soldier storyline, which I think is one of the best comic story lines in the last 50 years. So that’s the way we approached this movie was how do we deconstruct it? How do we put him in a new place that would appeal to people of similar tastes?

Can you talk a bit more about S.H.I.E.L.D.? It sounds like they have a major role. And what we might learn, plus your take on Nick Fury and Maria Hill. I know we met her in The Avengers, but we don’t know as much about her as some of the other characters.

Anthony Russo: If you go back to the relationship question, too, the relationship between Cap and Nick Fury in this movie is really rich and complicated. These two guys are very different animals, and there’s this sort of plot that sets them up in a way where they really have to confront their differences and sort it out, and it’s a messy process. But it’s all wrapped up in terms of, “What is S.H.I.E.L.D.?” And what Cap started fighting for in the first place, and what that organization is, and what that mission evolved to in several incarnations.

In prepping for the movie, did you get to do some fanboy indulgence and have good long conversations with Brubaker, or even Stan Lee?

Joe Russo: Absolutely. Yup. We had dinner with Brubaker. It was one of the first things we did when we signed on. We made sure we had his blessing. He’s a brilliant writer. We wanted to pick his brain about where the character came from, what he’s thinking, what the themes are behind the character. We’ve been in contact with Brubaker all along, and there’s even a Brubaker Easter egg somewhere in the movie. Stan Lee, we didn’t get to meet with until we did his cameo, but he’s fantastic.

This made me wanna watch it more than any of the trailers.

Probably granddaughter.
oh ok so they really havent even talked about this sharon carter that much
When they cast the chick that plays Peggy, there was lots of talk. I'm assuming she'll end up being Sharon's granddaughter, as mentioned it's different int he comics. She was only being referred to as Agent ## and then as things went on we heard less and less about her. I wonder how big a role she plays. Haven't seen her in any trailers or set pics.

:nerd:...anyways, the first one's on FX right now and later if anyone ain't seen it.

I didn't like it the first time, but I'll give it another shot.

Last edited:
I'm watching the first one on FX right now. Everytime I watch it I find myself being more and more in amazement how they were able to tell the WW2 side of cap

Last edited:
The first Captain America is real good..I can watch that everyday without a problem..even Thor is great..

Back
Top Bottom