Bonds indicted by federal grand jury

FYI, here are the federal statutes the counts are based on. He's looking at a maximum of 30 years in prison if convicted on all counts (5 for each of thefour perjury counts, and 10 for the obstruction of justice count), although that's not a mandatory sentence, i.e. it's up to the judges discretion atsentencing if there is one. Given that he has no prior criminal record, I don't see him getting more than 5 in the WORST case scenario; reality is probably1-2 with a hefty fine.

TITLE 18. CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I. CRIMES
CHAPTER 73. OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE

Go to the United States Code Service Archive Directory

18 USCS § 1503​
§ 1503. Influencing or injuring officer or juror generally

(a) Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication, endeavors to influence, intimidate, or impede any grand or petit juror, or officer in or of any court of the United States, or officer who may be serving at any examination or other proceeding before any United States magistrate judge or other committing magistrate, in the discharge of his duty, or injures any such grand or petit juror in his person or property on account of any verdict or indictment assented to by him, or on account of his being or having been such juror, or injures any such officer, magistrate judge, or other committing magistrate in his person or property on account of the performance of his official duties, or corruptly or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication, influences, obstructs, or impedes, or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede, the due administration of justice, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b). If the offense under this section occurs in connection with a trial of a criminal case, and the act in violation of this section involves the threat of physical force or physical force, the maximum term of imprisonment which may be imposed for the offense shall be the higher of that otherwise provided by law or the maximum term that could have been imposed for any offense charged in such case.

(b) The punishment for an offense under this section is--
(1) in the case of a killing, the punishment provided in sections 1111 and 1112 [18 USCS §§ 1111 and 1112];
(2) in the case of an attempted killing, or a case in which the offense was committed against a petit juror and in which a class A or B felony was charged, imprisonment for not more than 20 years, a fine under this title, or both; and
(3) in any other case, imprisonment for not more than 10 years, a fine under this title, or both.
TITLE 18. CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I. CRIMES
CHAPTER 79. PERJURY

Go to the United States Code Service Archive Directory

18 USCS § 1623​
§ 1623. False declarations before grand jury or court

(a) Whoever under oath (or in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code) in any proceeding before or ancillary to any court or grand jury of the United States knowingly makes any false material declaration or makes or uses any other information, including any book, paper, document, record, recording, or other material, knowing the same to contain any false material declaration, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(b) This section is applicable whether the conduct occurred within or without the United States.

(c) An indictment or information for violation of this section alleging that, in any proceedings before or ancillary to any court or grand jury of the United States, the defendant under oath has knowingly made two or more declarations, which are inconsistent to the degree that one of them is necessarily false, need not specify which declaration is false if--
(1) each declaration was material to the point in question, and
(2) each declaration was made within the period of the statute of limitations for the offense charged under this section.

In any prosecution under this section, the falsity of a declaration set forth in the indictment or information shall be established sufficient for conviction by proof that the defendant while under oath made irreconcilably contradictory declarations material to the point in question in any proceeding before or ancillary to any court or grand jury. It shall be a defense to an indictment or information made pursuant to the first sentence of this subsection that the defendant at the time he made each declaration believed the declaration was true.

(d) Where, in the same continuous court or grand jury proceeding in which a declaration is made, the person making the declaration admits such declaration to be false, such admission shall bar prosecution under this section if, at the time the admission is made, the declaration has not substantially affected the proceeding, or it has not become manifest that such falsity has been or will be exposed.

(e) Proof beyond a reasonable doubt under this section is sufficient for conviction. It shall not be necessary that such proof be made by any particular number of witnesses or by documentary or other type of evidence.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Doesn't the US justice system have MUCH more important things to deal with???
Bonds is being charged with PERJURY. Our US Justice System is doing what their suppose to be doing unless off course you think lying in front of a Federal Grand Jury is ok?

"Bonds is charged with knowingly and willfully making false material statements regarding his use of anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancing substances while under oath during his testimony before the federal grand jury that was conducting the investigation into [BALCO], and with obstructing justice in the same investigation,"

FOUR mother @@$@+!! years. For a PERJURY charge? Give me a @@$@+!! break. So Bonds lied about his knowledge of his steroid use. Who cares? The governmentneeds to !%!* off when it comes to steroids, HGH, test, etc. If people want to use, let them. It will do no harm if you know what you are doing.

You know what $%++ it. I really,really can't believe people are stupid enough to say let's ban him from the records. WTF kinda !+$+ is that. Look, Iknow Barry Bonds is an ahole, but come the $%++ on. You are kidding yourself if you think he is the only one who did it(steriods). I am not condoning it in anyway, but I am willing to bet there are many other STAR players who have used HGH and steriods, but they haven't been caught yet. It has to stop. It'sbeen well documented that many former players used to cheat,, do you want to take them out of the record books? If people really care about the records, justwipe the past 20 years away from baseball history. How do you know who is cheating or not when HGH can't even be detected, how many other steriods areundetectable

You know what is really suspicious- the indictment comes out the week of free agency, SMH

^^^
Psst...

The curse filter is not working. So you may wanna edit out that reference to the male reproductive organ.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

It's impossible to erase all of Bonds' stats from the record books because that would effect the stats of every pitcher that's ever pitched to him,and of every team he's ever played.

Only people affected by this are those who thought the game was pure to begin with, or just hates Bonds. Steroids, to baseball, is the same as throat hairis to Karrine.

^ You have no grasp of what the topic is. Clearly.

Hint: it's not about steroids. Or baseball.

I still don't see why he's going to jail for taking steroids. WTF is the government thinking making a big deal about it, go after lobbyist and otherpeople. There are a lot of worst people than Bonds.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

I still don't see why he's going to jail for taking steroids. WTF is the government thinking making a big deal about it, go after lobbyist and other people. There are a lot of worst people than Bonds.

It is not for his steroid use -- it is for lying for lying in front of a federal grand jury. he is facing purgery charges and obstruction of justicecharges, guy.

WHAT IT MEANS IS THAT WE NEED TO GO AFTER MORE WHITE PLAYERS (McGwire, Bagwell, etc.).
ska, you got me a little confused here. sarcasm? or did i miss your point?

laugh.gif
at the Bonds apologists.

^ Nah, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

The remedy isn't to let more black players off the hook; the remedy to our racist un-justice system isto stop turning a blind eye to white offenders. Theanswer is not to turn a blind eye towards minority offenders, but rather to STOP turning a blind eye to white offenders.

^ i got ya, i guess the ALL CAPS made that confusing for some reason.

but no one's picking on Bonds cuz he's black. Bonds is being targeted because he's the "big fish." he's the home run king, 7-timeMVP, arguably one of the best players ever, a jerk, a liar, a bad teammate, an @$+*#@%, a baby, and the fact that the best seasons of his career came after heturned 35-36 years old.

All I have to say is that I am pissed that this happened because now ESPN will be over hyping this for the next 3 months. Thanks court system.

Yeah Barry's a ****. Why is he a ****? Maybe because of how the media treated his father; something he unfortunately had to witness growing up.

So because the media treated his father unfairly, it allows Bonds to be a **** to everyone. Bonds is a douche bag, and he treats everyone likedirt, even his wife (He treats his kids well).

Unless you have been around Barry Bonds, you won't know the magnitude of his douchebagness. Writers are not exaggerating when they talk about this guysattitude.

I won't comment on anything else, since some will take ma as biased.

Seems like nothing new to me...and other Game of Shadows readers

He is innocent until proven guilty, though, so don't throw the book at him just yet. I know if I was accused of a crime, I would want that treatment.

there just looking for excuse to lock up him they dont got enough on him so they gettin him for lying to judge or some crap like that

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Yeah Barry's a ****. Why is he a ****? Maybe because of how the media treated his father; something he unfortunately had to witness growing up.
So because the media treated his father unfairly, it allows Bonds to be a **** to everyone. Bonds is a douche bag, and he treats everyone like dirt, even his wife (He treats his kids well).

Unless you have been around Barry Bonds, you won't know the magnitude of his douchebagness. Writers are not exaggerating when they talk about this guys attitude.

I won't comment on anything else, since some will take ma as biased.

Bonds was portrayed the way he was for the longest time because he wasn't cool with the media. What do you think that gets you? Now he's a biggerdick because of what has happened the last 3-4 years. Why does Barry have to be a nice guy? He's a baseball player.

there just looking for excuse to lock up him they dont got enough on him so they gettin him for lying to judge or some crap like that
You're missing the point. If they're "gettin him for lying to judge or some crap like that," what do you think they've gothim for lying ABOUT? That's right, his steroid use...so essentially what you're arguing is that they don't have enough evidence of him usingsteroids, but so they got enough about him lying to the grand jury about using steroids? It's the same thing...if he lied to the grand jury about NOTusing steroids, then what does that mean?

I don't think I need to go further.

i wonder how many tax dollars were wasted building this case for 4 damn years. he plays a $%@!%!% game with a stick and a ball, its not that important that thefeds waste 4 years on this @!$+. if this really wasn't a witch hunt they would have just locked up palmario (sp) when he lied under oath. i like how thatwas swept under rug.

Nah, I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

The remedy isn't to let more black players off the hook; the remedy to our racist un-justice system isto stop turning a blind eye to white offenders. The answer is not to turn a blind eye towards minority offenders, but rather to STOP turning a blind eye to white offenders.
I'm all for going after the crooks no matter their skin color, but at the same time I don't think there should be quotas.

Back
Top Bottom