Black guy hair cuts

yea i dunno how true this is but from my observations, the higher up you make it, the more conservative the cut... i think that happens regardless of race tho

off the top of my head thinking about the few black dudes at my job:

mail room dudes... dreds
support staff dudes... baby dreds, all evens
analysts/mid management... low fades
directors/executives... damn near bald

before i grew out my hair I was the only dude with 360 waves... so I have been an outlier the whole time

if you good at what you do I dont think people care what your hair looks like. but i do think people will judge you and make assumptions prior to interacting with you

yea i dunno how true this is but from my observations, the higher up you make it, the more conservative the cut... i think that happens regardless of race tho

mail room dudes... dreds

before i grew out my hair I was the only dude with 360 waves... so I have been an outlier the whole time

if you good at what you do I dont think people care what your hair looks like. but i do think people will judge you and make assumptions prior to interacting with you

Same. Been rocking the waves for what feels like my whole life, don't really see too many people on that.

Maybe it's a Midwest thing. Has always helped me pull too.

Yeah man it ain't that serious to me. Maybe my jobs have been a little more laid back or something because I've never had issues with any cut.

Out of curiousity, has anybody in here had a problem at the job because of a haircut?

I have one job said i would have to cut my locs so i said good day and left.

Im sorry im not changing my appearance for no amount of money or a job.

What type of job was it?

Some corporate jobs don't even require you to dress up (like mine), so I don't anybody is trippin over your hair being longer than an inch.

I swear sometimes black folk are they own worst enemy. We deem things as "unprofessional" that white folks don't even care about :lol:

Word. I wear my damn hat backwards sometimes. :lol:

If folks are hating on your non-low black hair they're looking for an excuse to not hire your ***. If it wasn't your hair they'd find another reason.

I had one job where we couldn't have beards or long hair. But that was everyone and wasn't target for a race imo. Hurt the folks w/ lighter complexions because their facial hair was more noticeable, they couldn't skip a day. Effected anyone with hair below their shoulders for guys. So unless you had dreads you could rock any style of hair.

I just went two months without a shape or anything. Looked damn near homeless when I looked in the mirror. Told some white coworkers that I got a cut. Their response, "what hair did you cut" or "I didn't even notice".

Most folks don't care about your hair. Some **** that must be ingrained in us from our parents b/c they had to cut their huge afros.

I stopped using shampoo in my hair and just conditioning it w/ Mail n Tail conditioner.

I'm out so I figured I'd see what my NT brothern are using as conditioner in their hair at the moment?

I stopped using shampoo in my hair and just conditioning it w/ Mail n Tail conditioner.

I'm out so I figured I'd see what my NT brothern are using as conditioner in their hair at the moment?
What made you stop shampooing your hair?

In my office alone, it's about 3 guys with locs, including me.

Mine are in the beginning stages (4 months in), but the other 2 cats got the big, husky, rasta lookin joints.

Doesn't seem to have any type of hindrance on the money they make or their job performance.

IT, if that matters.

working in corporate can be tricky.. been wolfing with my waves for 2 months.. keeping it at a 3 minimum with the low beard... but i grew out my beard for about 6 weeks and people were asking questions like "is it new" "your beard is growing fast" , so i keep it trimmed at a 3 as well..  

white dudes can have  paul bunyon beards and rock chuck taylors with dirty laces but let me grow my beard for a couple months and its time to visit HR

To homie using mane n tail throw that in the trash ASAP. It has SLS in it you're basically sucking the life out of your hair. I recommended Shea moisture cowash for conditioner & coconut & hibiscus for shampoo

In my office alone, it's about 3 guys with locs, including me.

Mine are in the beginning stages (4 months in), but the other 2 cats got the big, husky, rasta lookin joints.

Doesn't seem to have any type of hindrance on the money they make or their job performance.

IT, if that matters.

I just started on that dreads path so I'm going be looking extra rough at work for a while.

Luckily being in IT my hair isn't a problem. Long as we know we're doing everyone's happy

I just started on that dreads path so I'm going be looking extra rough at work for a while.

Luckily being in IT my hair isn't a problem. Long as we know we're doing everyone's happy

Funny you mention that, because before I got into IT, I thought that stuff like that would matter.

It's the exact opposite.

I doubt some of these cats even look in the mirror before they come in to work.

But like you said, as long as they know what they are doing, no one really seems to care.

Good luck on your journey though. I'm 4 months in, and I can't see myself cutting my hair ever again....as rough as it is right now :lol:

To homie using mane n tail throw that in the trash ASAP. It has SLS in it you're basically sucking the life out of your hair. I recommended Shea moisture cowash for conditioner & coconut & hibiscus for shampoo

My sister uses this stuff so I tried it out, not bad. Not bad at all

working in corporate can be tricky.. been wolfing with my waves for 2 months.. keeping it at a 3 minimum with the low beard... but i grew out my beard for about 6 weeks and people were asking questions like "is it new" "your beard is growing fast" , so i keep it trimmed at a 3 as well..  

white dudes can have  paul bunyon beards and rock chuck taylors with dirty laces but let me grow my beard for a couple months and its time to visit HR
wow sad **** man...hate when random people ask personal questions at work. 

What made you stop shampooing your hair?

It strips your hair harshly. It had me thinning and leaving it hella dry. Some folks call it the "no poo" movement. Some even don't use conditioner, I'm not willing to go that far :lol:Just been washing it w/ water and then conditioning it. First month my hair looked like trash. After that your oil levels balance out. My hair looks healthier than ever before.

Buzz with 360 waves is timeless.

Been on that since 6th grade. Will go to the grave with it.
Same here blood, and I'm 31 y/o. I like seeing other cuts tho, the diversity of black haircuts and styles today is amazing. And it does not detract from anyone getting good jobs or anything, lol. My boy is a pharmicist with dreads.

just started my locs 3 weeks ago? My hair has been growing for over a year though so I have a bit of hangtime :lol:

Will post pictures later.

mail room dudes... dreds

Bro, no disrespect, but the very simple answer to your observation is age.

Of course analysts/mid- managers are going to have more "conservative" cuts because they're probably in their 30's or 40's. Hard to rock a DS5 when you got a huge bald spot. Same logic applies to department directors.

It has a lot more to do with age and going bald then their seniority or role within the company.

mail room dudes... dreds

Bro, no disrespect, but the very simple answer to your observation is age.

Of course analysts/mid- managers are going to have more "conservative" cuts because they're probably in their 30's or 40's. Hard to rock a DS5 when you got a huge bald spot. Same logic applies to department directors.

It has a lot more to do with age and going bald then their seniority or role within the company.

Bro i think you are stating the obvious tho lol. However for some black males, age doesnt stop them from rocking a taper fade or any other dope fade. they make a choice to rock that old ugly shag cut or basic all even man. I chalk it up to cats not having time to go out of their way for above average cuts. my line of thought was maintaining your hair becomes a lower priority with the more responsibilities you have. thats all i was getting at

Back
Top Bottom