Black Enlightenment Thread. (*Index Added**Book & Movie Club Update on Pg.1)

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Has any one ordered, borrowed or started reading Things Fall Apart yet?

I think my roomate got that %%@%, so I'm start reading it again tonight.

Read it in HS.

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

Damn , I got "Black Skin , White Masks" for a class im currently taking . I intentionally blew reading the book off . But now that I see it in this thread , with "cool" people ...
laugh.gif

You guys think I should read it ?

Ok Chi I see you
smile.gif

Really good read, If you want a book that explains the subconscious of blacks inferiority it is most definitely a good read. Invisible man is a better book forthat IMO, but still can't go wrong. It also depends on the translation of the book, because it is originally in French. I have read a version that wasbland as could be
laugh.gif

nvisible man is a better book for that IMO
true..your english gotta be on point not to fall asleep to black skin white masks i just love the caribbean perspective..

but i got things fall apart in my closet somewhere..until then tho i have an interesting video
laugh.gif

i hate michael eric dyson with his 10 letter word diatribes..he taught a seminar class at DePaul when i was a freshman and i usually disagreed with dude..buthe on point..until he is cut off
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by haiti5

i hate michael eric dyson with his 10 letter word diatribes..he taught a seminar class at DePaul when i was a freshman and i usually disagreed with dude..but he on point..until he is cut off
laugh.gif
tired.gif
pat went in on that interview
eek.gif

JUST PICKED UP THINGS FALL APART.

i think we should tackle the book in parts

the book itself separates into 2 parts

so if this is good with everybody i suggest that we give about a week for read Part 1 & then discussion. Then another week to read Part 2.

anybody on board witht his

Originally Posted by ericberry14

so if this is good with everybody i suggest that we give about a week for read Part 1 & then discussion. Then another week to read Part 2.

Sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Sounds like a plan.
solid.

Everybody have up through Part 1 of Things Fall Apart by Next Tuesday 03/17

Have finished Part 2 of the book by 03/28

Discussion for Part 1 is from 3/17 - 3/21

Discussion for Part 2 is from 3/28 - 4/2

I recently heard Michael Eric Dyson speak on the radio. I seen him before, i think in a documentry of tupac called Thug life. I'm not sure.
Well when I heard him on the radio, he was talking about MLK. Here is the link to what he was talking about if anyone is interested. Pretty insightful.

http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/

When you click on the link. Go to shows: Indy media On the air, Dated: Monday March 2, 2009 3:02pm and click download

I, myself enjoy history. So I will be reading up on this thread too.

Man...its refreshing to see so many of us on the same page.

Has any one ordered, borrowed or started reading Things Fall Apart yet?

^^in high school i read it and i cant stand to read it again...why would you pick that book first??? not a jab at you, just want to know

I couldn't listen to that video anymore. I'm sick and tired of these so called correlations between black people and crime. Those statistics arealmost as vague as saying people who eat Cherrios don't catch STDs as much as those who eat Capt. Crunch. Lost some respect for Buchanan on that one, butat least he was being 100 with his. Black people do commit crime, such as all other races.. But they forget when there are times when a black man is convictedand he is totally innocent.. i.e. Darryl Hunt..

I dont know if its been mentioned yet but

Dr.John Henrik Clarke -a Great and Mighty walk is a very good film/documentary

I honestly think Stolen Legacy should be a book discussed as well. After things fall apart, that book is very important.

Haze, I definitely want to join the book/movie club. Please add me to the list...

Edit: A book I think we should discuss is Black Boy, Richard Wright's autobiographical story of overcoming odds and redemption.

Personally, I think you guys are championing a real movement! However, I think the black(especially teens and young adults)community has a bigger issue in 2009. We are not informed or exposed to the benefits of higher education(it doesn't have to be college) and delayedgratification. For the record, I am doing my part in my community and I am glad you guys are trying to make something happing as well.

Originally Posted by Donny Walker Blaq

However, I think the black(especially teens and young adults) community has a bigger issue in 2009. We are not informed or exposed to the benefits of higher education(it doesn't have to be college) and delayed gratification.
Nah the problem lies within the enthusiasm these kids for living out their ambitions. They are not beingencouraged enough at home to go beyond and above, leaving them to settle for average. It starts at home with the parents and if I'm not mistaken, 60%-80%ofAfrican American children are growing up today without a father in their home. No initiative to take part in their community. Here's some stats:
• Percentage of all white high school seniors in 2004 elected to an academic honor society: 26.2%
• Percentage of all African-American high school seniors in 2004 elected to an academic honor society: 13.1%
(U.S. Department of Education)

Percentage of white Americans who believe that blacks have an equal chance with whites to secure a good education: 80%
• Percentage of black Americans who believe that blacks have an equal chance with whites to secure a good education: 49%

Percentage of white first-year college students in 2004 who had a high-school grade point average between 3.5 and 4.0: 37.9%
• Percentage of black first-year college students in 2004 who had a high-school grade point average between 3.5 and 4.0: 16.0%
(U.S. Department of Education)

http://www.jbhe.com/vital/index.html

In 2008, the unemployment rate for African Americans 25 years and over without a high school diploma was over 14 percent, while the jobless rate for college graduates was 4 percent. This pattern has persisted over time.
http://www.bls.gov/spotli...erican_history/audio.htm

We have to change the mindset within our community and encourage higher education because the lack of ambition is startling.We seeing our black leaders on tv still embracing handouts and publicly crucify those who have decided to gain acceptance and achievements on their own. I meandamn we still calling people like Condoleeza Rice a sellout
laugh.gif
, ratherthan applauding her achievements. You get what I'm saying? In areas that border urban poverty, many are not even choosing to go above and beyond thehandouts and get sort of on content within their lifestyle. It is no question that we can achieve our dreams, word to President Obama, but in a lot of casesour social conditions are consistent with those of the past, stereotyping and a lack of enthusiasm within the community. It is great that we encourage theeducation of our past history with slavery, but it is becoming too much of a cloud when not combined with encouragement of living in a new era ofrace-relations. Making excuses is not the way and we have to make sure these kids, as well as adults (I'm sure we know some grown male/female always makingrace-related excuses), get away from that mindset. ok end rant
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by haiti5

i hate michael eric dyson with his 10 letter word diatribes..he taught a seminar class at DePaul when i was a freshman and i usually disagreed with dude..but he on point..until he is cut off
laugh.gif
tired.gif

He always seems like he is speaking in toast to me.
He is right though, we are cowards. Whites afraid to speak their true minds, and blacks afraid of being called delusional.

[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]Dude got a way with words...the things he speaks about are the truth...that video got me mad thou,since when does people get cut off like that? And i hate when we talk about black and people throw the numbers game
mad.gif
[/color]

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

Nah the problem lies within the enthusiasm these kids for living out their ambitions. They are not being encouraged enough at home to go beyond and above, leaving them to settle for average. It starts at home with the parents and if I'm not mistaken, 60%-80%of African American children are growing up today without a father in their home. No initiative to take part in their community. Here's some stats:

We have to change the mindset within our community and encourage higher education because the lack of ambition is startling. We seeing our black leaders on tv still embracing handouts and publicly crucify those who have decided to gain acceptance and achievements on their own. I mean damn we still calling people like Condoleeza Rice a sellout
laugh.gif
, rather than applauding her achievements.
the first thing you said i would say is just making an excuse for those kids, that's what we have to stop doing. No many of them dont havefathers that are active in their lives, but that doesnt mean that they should give up & resign themselves to a life of unfulfilled potential. I understandthat its significantly tougher when only one parent is around, but still no more excuse can be made for us.

the second part i completely agree with, its all about the mindset towards education. Black youth dont think getting a good education will help them besuccessful, so why should they bother. As soon as we can change that mindset, then we will finally start to see significant & much more rapid progress

EDIT: about 30 pages into Things Fall Apart & its been pretty interesting so far. good choice in book

Good read so far. Is wierd how I read this book in 10th grade 3 years ago but I didn't get any of the stuff that I'm gettin out of it now. I had IBclasses to so we would always have like socratic seminars on this book but barely contributed...I wish I could go back in time with the mindset I got now.

Originally Posted by I R Andre

I honestly think Stolen Legacy should be a book discussed as well. After things fall apart, that book is very important.

OK Dre....I see you on ya !%+...

That would be a great second book. That book will really blow peoples mind and is at the core of what this thread is really about.

That should def be the second book and would be perfect for the second topic of discussion in here.

I dont know if its been mentioned yet but

Dr.John Henrik Clarke -a Great and Mighty walk is a very good film/documentary

Dr. Clark is the man. He has his own floor in my school. He worked and studied at Hunter for decades, changing the face of education in America in the process.

That sounds like it should be oue first movie.

Edit: A book I think we should discuss is Black Boy, Richard Wright's autobiographical story of overcoming odds and redemption.
Thats my personal favorite book ever. It really got me into reading and writing. Every American should read that book. Hopefully we can get tothat also.

Lets keep this thing going y'all.

All of the information that is forced into our brain in school, means little if you don't know who you are.

A proper understanding of self is the cure to all of our problems as an African collective.

Originally Posted by retrospect90

Good read so far. Is wierd how I read this book in 10th grade 3 years ago but I didn't get any of the stuff that I'm gettin out of it now. I had IB classes to so we would always have like socratic seminars on this book but barely contributed...I wish I could go back in time with the mindset I got now.

Thats what up.

The good thing is that you can use the new information and mindset to going forward in the rest of your life.

^^in high school i read it and i cant stand to read it again...why would you pick that book first??? not a jab at you, just want to know

A couple of people suggested that we read this first and I thought it was a good idea also. Its a classic novel, not too hard of a read and has topics that canbe applied to discussions pertaining to Africans all over the Globe.

Back
Top Bottom