Black Enlightenment Thread. (*Index Added**Book & Movie Club Update on Pg.1)

Originally Posted by retrospect90

When is this book club gonna start?
You can pick up the book and start reading ASAP.

I posted an Amazon link on the first page and every library should have a copy of this classic.

I'll also post some background info to frame the reading and discussion shortly. The Book is only like 220 pages its a short read and goes by quickly.

Hopefully we can discuss the novel and its significance in about 2 weeks or so. I'll post some more updates and reminders as time goes by.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Originally Posted by retrospect90

When is this book club gonna start?
You can pick up the book and start reading ASAP.

I posted an Amazon link on the first page and every library should have a copy of this classic.

I'll also post some background info to frame the reading and discussion shortly. The Book is only like 220 pages its a short read and goes by quickly.

Hopefully we can discuss the novel and its significance in about 2 weeks or so. I'll post some more updates and reminders as time goes by.
fam add me to the book club list.

how can i get study updates about movies? im not much of a book person...

PM ME n lemme know whats up

Gordon.. When you say low income schools, ar eyou referring to public schools in general or actual financial struggling public education institutions?? ..there is a big difference.

Those groups of Asians and Middle Eastern students going to these low income schools (public schools who aren't getting enough gov't/local funding) aredoing just as about the same as there African-American peers.

Now take for example, you used a specific area such as Northern Virginia (Fairfax County to be extremely specific). There are low income areas in many parts ofNoVA, yet that county is actually the 3rd richest in the nation. You have these Asian, White, and Middle Eastern students going to the same public school asthe Afro-American students from the low income areas, yet their backgrounds are substaintially different. The difference in how educated their grandparents andparents is substaintially different. All this makes a difference because those students' parents gave them a stronger platform to start from, whereas"AA's" find it harder to go to their parents for help on school work.

Also, those SCHOLARSHIPS you speak of aren't so plentiful as you might think. And the ones that there are more of, are usually $500-$5000, whichdoesn't cover a $10,000 yearly tuition

Originally Posted by II0II703 RICO ROB

Also, those SCHOLARSHIPS you speak of aren't so plentiful as you might think. And the ones that there are more of, are usually $500-$5000, which doesn't cover a $10,000 yearly tuition
finally somebody who actually understands this. im sick & tired of hearing about how there are so many minority scholarships & all thatother stuff. Yea there are alot, but none of them are for a significant amount of money in terms of college tuition.

but still its better than nothing

And about my opnion regarding how other races do within the same school systems as African Americans is based on my experience in 4 different High Schools.Eastern High School in Washington DC. Field Private Charter High School in Washington DC. C. H. Flowers High School in MD, and West Potomac High School,Alexandria/Fairfax County Virginia

And about my opnion regarding how other races do within the same school systems as African Americans is based on my experience in 4 different High Schools. Eastern High School in Washington DC. Field Private Charter High School in Washington DC. C. H. Flowers High School in MD, and West Potomac High School, Alexandria/Fairfax County Virginia

fam when did you go to C.H. Flowers high school?

Props to the OP on making this thread. I try to tell people everyday they need to read more. Funny how quick the mind deteriorates when it is not stimulated. The media wants to keep everyone, all races dumbed down in order to pass greater agendas. Add me to the booklist Haze.

Only went for a few weeks in 03, but my cousins Elliott Strickland, Nick Hollaway and Latasha (won't say last name, but graduated 08) recently graduatedfrom Flowers

Im tired of hearing about scholarships too .

Its hard out here fam ...

My tuition is 27 thou a YEAR , scholarships are typically only $1000 &nd less. What the hell can I do with that ?

Only went for a few weeks in 03, but my cousins Elliott Strickland, Nick Hollaway and Latasha (won't say last name, but graduated 08) recently graduated from Flowers
oh yea my girl graduated from flowers the same year as ya cousins

Chi ILL... Tell me about it.... My sister went to Boston College on a partial Track & Field and English scholarship, and her tuition per yr was still about20K a year. I believe BC's tuition is around/above 45K a yr. I myself attended Belmont Abbey College in Charlotte NC for only a semester.
I was kicked out of school because during X-Mas break of my Freshman yr. I told my coach (i played basketball) that i wanted to redshirt the rest of the seasonso i could focus on my grades more. The team lost everygame thus far and half of the team had already filed as redshirts. During my holiday break i was sent aletter stating that i would not be re-admitted to the school. And i wasn't even there on a basketball scholarship to begin with. These are some situationsyoung males and females face when going to certain institutions. They care more about our Athletic ability than they do about how much educational knowledgethey could provide us with

But back on topic, i just ordered Black Skin, White Masks and Things Fall Apart so i will give my opinion on those two books in the next week or so. Could i beadded to the booklist Haze?

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison and Manchild In the Promised Land by Claude Brown are two other good books I would suggest reading

Man...its refreshing to see so many of us on the same page.

Good to see people like Rex, not being "black", yet still able to constructively debate and offer valuable input, thanks in part to him receiving amulti-cultural education.

Invisible Man was the next book I had in mind but this in an open forum so its really up to the members of the bookclub to decide.

Lets try to get through this first book, keep this thread going and jump into as many works and topics as possible. Trough each of us refreshing our knowledge,learning new things, exchanging thoughts and taking that eduction into our scholarly, professional and private lives...we can really make a change and make outown small contributions to a more equal and educated society.

Has any one ordered, borrowed or started reading Things Fall Apart yet?

I've been busy with school but i'm picking up my copy from the library tonight (I have a copy at home but it will take forever to find) and I will tryto finish reading by this weekend.

I picked it up last night from my schools library Haze. I plan on starting tonight or tomorrow.

Damn , I got "Black Skin , White Masks" for a class im currently taking . I intentionally blew reading the book off . But now that I see it in thisthread , with "cool" people ...
laugh.gif

You guys think I should read it ?

Are we gonna read the whole thing and discuss.......or are we gonna break this up and sections and discuss.

Back
Top Bottom