Black Culture Discussion Thread

Yep BLACK FOLK need to dude like the SPANISH people like the got THE LATIN GRAMMYS we don't need them for validation DAME DASH has been saying that bro...

Random thought but I heard a lot of ppl complaining about how white the academy awards were. IMO black people as well as minorities should refuse to even participate in such ceremonies.

....thats what the NAACP Image Awards were created for in 1967. to give us own own entertainment awards

yet we're still crying and complaining that they wont let us in their little clubs.

rap is the same way
rappers have been saying F the Grammys since 1988

yet every year rappers and rap fans are upset over snubs

make up your minds
either they matter or they dont
pick one and stick by it

personally?
i feel we need to sincerely do our own thing and mean it

we will never be white

never

many whites will never look at us as equals

and thats fine
i have zero problems with that
but we need to act accordingly

do our own thing
and dont worry about what they are or arent doing

blacc hollywood 
pimp.gif

@Smangalang
You said
[q]They don't even remember/know what it was like prior to colonization [/q]

I'm not talking about the conflict between "modernity" (western norms) and traditions, which is what you seem to allude to. I'm talking about things like the languages, the culinary traditions, the rituals performed during important life events (births, marriages, deaths), the arts, the social structure of the village/chiefdom/kingdom that are still followed/executed by many Africans whether they live in the cities, the countryside, or overseas.

Also, let's not extend the period of colonization to 1000 years ago. If were gonna talk about colonization, the period of interest should be from after the end of the triangular slave trade to the end of world war 2.
The Trans Saharan "slave trade" and Arab incursions caused more displacement of blacks than the Trans-Atlantic and lasted longer. Many would argue it set the stage for the Trans-Atlantic due to the abrupt migrations and subsequent conflicts in the new areas by new neighbors. If we go back far enough we will see that we are family rather than polite strangers who share borders. Then we can move forward and build. History is the foundation. If people were in the know Dr. Runoko Rashidi wouldn't go on world tours giving lectures. If people were in the know Dr. Mfundishi Djehetymes wouldn't have been hired by the University of Ibadan and hired on the spot after a lecture by the University of Khartoum. Professor James Smalls would be out of work if his findings were common knowledge.

Just because some of us are further along doesn't mean we should belittle the needs of others. If you are in the space where you have enough Black/African pride and knowledge of self to begin to build a worldwide community and economy by all means please proceed. But please don't say that a people who have been beaten and lied to for centuries don't need to know their truth. Economics ain't **** without a reason.

THIS IS WHY HISTORY IS IMPORTANT!!

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...s-he-feels-good-about-whites-using-the-n-word
[h1]Rich Homie Quan Says He Feels Good About Whites Using The N-Word[/h1]
Rich Homie Quan says he has no problem with white people using the N-word when reciting his lyrics.

Rich Homie Quan has been part of many hits over the past few years and definitely knows the DNA to a catchy song. One of those catchy joints is YG's "My Hitta," on which he was featured.

Recently sitting down with Vlad TV, the Atlanta native talked about white people using the N-word when reciting lyrics, as the uncensored version of the West Coast hit requires you to use it as you sing along to the hook.
"I feel good [about it], man," Quan said when asked about whites using the N-word. "Because it's that title trap. That's what we want people to do, it's like crossover music. I feel good man, I don't look nothing by it. I [don't have a bias] so it's good man. You make music so people recite it."  

The former Rich Gang member was also asked whether racism in the south is more prevalent than other areas. He responded by explaining that he himself has not experienced very much racism in his life.
"I wouldn't say racism is worse in the south only because it was so hard in the south," he said. "I think people are nicer in the south now and they don't really go back to those days. I've seen very little racism since I've been living." Quan continued by saying he has experienced the most amount of racial tension in airports.  

THIS IS WHY HISTORY IS IMPORTANT!!

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...s-he-feels-good-about-whites-using-the-n-word
[h1]Rich Homie Quan Says He Feels Good About Whites Using The N-Word[/h1]
Rich Homie Quan says he has no problem with white people using the N-word when reciting his lyrics.

Rich Homie Quan has been part of many hits over the past few years and definitely knows the DNA to a catchy song. One of those catchy joints is YG's "My Hitta," on which he was featured.

Recently sitting down with Vlad TV, the Atlanta native talked about white people using the N-word when reciting lyrics, as the uncensored version of the West Coast hit requires you to use it as you sing along to the hook.
"I feel good [about it], man," Quan said when asked about whites using the N-word. "Because it's that title trap. That's what we want people to do, it's like crossover music. I feel good man, I don't look nothing by it. I [don't have a bias] so it's good man. You make music so people recite it."  

The former Rich Gang member was also asked whether racism in the south is more prevalent than other areas. He responded by explaining that he himself has not experienced very much racism in his life.
"I wouldn't say racism is worse in the south only because it was so hard in the south," he said. "I think people are nicer in the south now and they don't really go back to those days. I've seen very little racism since I've been living." Quan continued by saying he has experienced the most amount of racial tension in airports.  
who cares what words white people who listen to rich homie quan are using...

these are just whites who LUST over black culture...this is less of a problem than the actual imprisonment and economic disenfranchisement of the black community...

All these "hot button" topics are regurgitated like they matter....

But please don't say that a people who have been beaten and lied to for centuries don't need to know their truth. Economics ain't **** without a reason.

jesus christ.

calm down Mufasa

no one is saying our history isnt important AT ALL.

no one here is saying we should never have to learn our history

you created that straw man

the opposing view thinks our history isnt AS important

see: "as important"

now does arguing against that view really deserve all those exclamation points and capital letters?

Last edited:

But please don't say that a people who have been beaten and lied to for centuries don't need to know their truth. Economics ain't **** without a reason.
jesus christ.

calm down Mufasa

no one is saying our history isnt important AT ALL.

no one here is saying we should never have to learn our history

you created that straw man

the opposing view thinks our history isnt AS important

now does arguing that view really deserve all those exclamation points and capital letters?
dude doesn't understand that other communities don't even place that big of a value on obsessing over history..

the average korean, persian, and jewish businessmen i work with are working for the good of their community and their own benefit.. period.

They are not sitting around thinking they have some holy lineage from kings (zionist jews excepted)

Koreans come from subjugation by the japanese and an agrarian society... there is no confusion about the non-legendary beginnings they came from.. yet that have PRESENT day communities and cohesion that brings success.... 

The circle jerk over egypt and kings is useless... 

only terrorists, zionists, white supremacists, and tumblr personalities rely on having a "holy" history as the pretext for a successful community....

regular businessman and business owners rely on economic knowledge and love of progress.

Last edited:
The Trans Saharan "slave trade" and Arab incursions caused more displacement of blacks than the Trans-Atlantic and lasted longer. Many would argue it set the stage for the Trans-Atlantic due to the abrupt migrations and subsequent conflicts in the new areas by new neighbors. If we go back far enough we will see that we are family rather than polite strangers who share borders. Then we can move forward and build. History is the foundation. If people were in the know Dr. Runoko Rashidi wouldn't go on world tours giving lectures. If people were in the know Dr. Mfundishi Djehetymes wouldn't have been hired by the University of Ibadan and hired on the spot after a lecture by the University of Khartoum. Professor James Smalls would be out of work if his findings were common knowledge.

Just because some of us are further along doesn't mean we should belittle the needs of others. If you are in the space where you have enough Black/African pride and knowledge of self to begin to build a worldwide community and economy by all means please proceed. But please don't say that a people who have been beaten and lied to for centuries don't need to know their truth. Economics ain't **** without a reason.

I feel ya bro

....thats what the NAACP Image Awards were created for in 1967. to give us own own entertainment awards

yet we're still crying and complaining that they wont let us in their little clubs.

rap is the same way
rappers have been saying F the Grammys since 1988

yet every year rappers and rap fans are upset over snubs

make up your minds
either they matter or they dont
pick one and stick by it

personally?
i feel we need to sincerely do our own thing and mean it

we will never be white

never

many whites will never look at us as equals

and thats fine
i have zero problems with that
but we need to act accordingly

do our own thing
and dont worry about what they are or arent doing

Exactly stop begging for acceptance and make our own ****

This goes back to so many things for me, Xmas everything. Trying to take old white customarys and use them for our own instead of making our own.

Yall gone bring up the Grammys and not call out Common and John Legend for showing their true colors?
Beetch mades stole Ledisi's moment in the spotlight.
Add Common to the list of people talkin it but sure as hell ain't walkin it. John Legend showed he is deathly terrified of J Z. The puzzy actually said, "you can't tell Beyonce no."

But ain't no mention in this thread about how these icons in our community sold out an African American queen, all in the name of Black pride and Black unity.

End of the day its easy extremely easy to dance around and look back at history .I feel like we are so caught up in the moment of finding our golden age we are growing stagnant. Its 2015 fam and black folks especially black intellectuals on the far left and far right aren't using tech efficientely . We could be working on apps,design etc yet we still on twitter arguing about obvious wrongs like street harassment and homophobia . Dudes are so concerned with effemnization of black kids etc and trying to find ways to point the finger at black women being upwardly mobile even going as far as to call the ones who pursue careers and goals outside of black mens gaze as being against black men or that they have been brainwashed.

I ask what made so many socially conscious black men content with arguing and watching the world pass them by because they refuse to be malleable and actually react to current situations and have an efficient and evolving skillset. We gotta step up to the plate folks

I thought I read something about them putting it on Amazon, but it wasn't available or something. But, I'm about to buy right now. Heard nothing but good things about it.

He says Amazon pulled it down, due to overwhelming pre orders they had to investigate it or something. Probably hating because the movie is pure Economics and plans of actions, compared to Hidden Colors which can use History as a cover while it talks plans of actions.

What role does the worshipping of black entertainers by the black community have on the upward social mobility of black culture?

And what do the many talking points behind the economics discussion have on black culture?

These aren't loaded questions. Legit am just asking for opinions on these things.

well let's start throwing economic ideas out there, there's enough brothers in this thread let's here it....

well let's start throwing economic ideas out there, there's enough brothers in this thread let's here it....
Im wondering how much it costs to get a tobacco license and sell cigarettes, snacks etc from a retail location. We spend tons of $ in Arab/Asian/Hispanic stores where the owners are following us and then seeing us out the door with the stink eye. If brothers are buying chips, a blunt, and an apple twice a day why not have that money go to one of our own?

I'm just rolling stuff out there as far as ideas, and specifically trying to leverage the things we spend money on back into our hands.

Last edited:
Im wondering how much it costs to get a tobacco license and sell cigarettes, snacks etc from a retail location. We spend tons of $ in Arab/Asian/Hispanic stores where the owners are following us and then seeing us out the door with the stink eye. If brothers are buying chips, a blunt, and an apple twice a day why not have that money go to one of our own?

I'm just rolling stuff out there as far as ideas, and specifically trying to leverage the things we spend money on back into our hands.
That's a nice idea. Those dollars add up. I knew a Korean chick growing up. Her family had 3 liquor stores around the city and they lived well.
Investing in small tech comps and engineering would be ideal
You aint never lied. Those buy black on black friday lists got a little upsetting after noticing it was all haircare, skincare, jewelry and clothing companies.

Check this article
[h1]The 30 Year-Old Nigerian Mobile Phone Entrepreneur Who Is Challenging Apple In Africa[/h1]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobo...repreneur-who-is-challenging-apple-in-africa/

What role does the worshipping of black entertainers by the black community have on the upward social mobility of black culture?

And what do the many talking points behind the economics discussion have on black culture?

These aren't loaded questions. Legit am just asking for opinions on these things.

admittedly i have struggled with defining what exactly is meant by black culture throughout this thread, culture is deeper than skin color...so i can't say how these thing relate to black culture specifically the focus on celebrity generally is that they provide something of an example, a model (for better AND worse). you might also say that celebrities to some extent transcend traditional barriers of culture(s) and maybe act as conduits for and/or representatives of culture to the broader culture or people outside of a particular culture. i would't use the word 'worship' though, celebrity is just a marker of status, a distinction...and as such people are interested in people with status

the discussion on economics in some ways is an entirely separate discussion from culture, it is a point i have tried to make...but we don't live in a vacuum, there are also many ways that economics affects the world around us, which in turns has effects on our culture(s). i would also say that it probably provides a way of framing things rather neatly as opposed to actually talking about culture which is almost inherently not as easily parsed through...

Investing in small tech comps and engineering would be ideal

investing in general is something most people aren't in tune with, it is hard to understand without taking the time to understand risk...but with interest rates having been so low, better to have money invested (this includes investing in one's self!) than sitting in a bank account that barely accrues interest, if at all. as well as licensing/franchising as mentioned in the above forbes piece, if one has the cash flow & fortitude for it...

came across this, of note is the $23,000 tuition...you have to wonder if there isn't a way to make this model more broadly available, to take what schools like this do well & scale it to public schools:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/next...ds-97-percent-of-students-to-college-20150212

TOBACCO LICENSE cost varies from state Bro I check down here in Louisiana it's $100 in California it's $300 Just google it Bro it should come up that's a good idea....

In Last 30 Years, Black Churches Have Taken $420 Billion From Members
0 0 Research conducted by Livesteez has reported that an estimate of $420 billion in tithes and donations has been accumulated by Black churches since the 1980s. An ongoing investigation into the spending of mega-church leaders was first initiated by Senator Charles Grassley around 2008

Creflo-Dollar-Prosperity-Gospel-Heresy1-300x169.jpg

The investigation took place in many churches that proclaimed what is known as the “Prosperity Gospel,” which is a practice saying that providing donations to Christian ministries will result in personal financial blessings.

Among many mega-churches that were investigated, New Birth Missionary Baptist Church was one. The church and their leader, Bishop Eddie Long, have received criticism from inside and outside the Black church. Long says he was “relieved” by the inquiries made on their financial legitimacy.

Henry E. Felder’s study of financial patterns within Black Christian places of worship reported that donations made to Christian ministries were around $508 per year, per person, in 2009. Tyler Media Services estimated that Black churches received revenue of $17 billion in 2006 alone. One prosperity church, the Reverend Creflo Dollar’s World Changers, received $69 million in 2006.

While many politicians and Black community leaders are demanding accountability for the churches that accumulate high amounts of funding, devoted followers of the church are defending the institutions and the leaders. Many loyal members of the flock claim that there is a double standard when it comes to black mega church leaders and wealthy white church leaders.

“The church has gotten caught up in materialism and greed, a lifestyle. Many ministers today want to live like celebrities and they want to be treated like celebrities. In other words, instead of the church standing with the community, the church has become self-serving. It has strayed away from its mission,” stated Dr. Love Henry Whelchel, professor of church history at The Interdenominational Theological Center.

While many churches that were investigated did not face any criminal charges, Calvary Baptist Yorba Linda Church’s leadership pleaded guilty to grand felony theft and fraud charges. Richard Cunningham and his son, Philip Cunningham, admitted to stealing funds from the church to buy timeshares in Hawaii and Palm Springs.

Some legitimate questions that are being asked are: How often and much do church leaders take advantage of the faith of Black people? How are these larges sums of money improving the state of our communities? Why do some churches decline to participate in the Grassley Congressional Investigation?
FDFMN%20shrunken.gif

Back
Top Bottom