Black Culture Discussion Thread

USDA: Urban Farmers Markets Becoming Increasingly Popular

View media item 1316972

Urban farmers markets across the US have become increasingly popular over the past few years and are now surging and expanding at unseen levels, according the the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA will announce Friday that the number of direct-sales markets has increased 9.6 per cent over the past year.

“Farmers markets are a critical ingredient to our nation’s food system,” USDA Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan told the Associated Press. “These outlets provide benefits not only to the farmers looking for important income opportunities, but also to the communities looking for fresh, healthy foods.”

After 18 years of steady growth, the number of farmers markets across the country now registered with the USDA is up to 7,864 — compared to the 1,744 registered in 1994. California and New York currently have the greatest amount of farmers markets per state.

The USDA recently made markets more accessible to low income families by outfitting many markets with the ability to accept payments from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which have allowed markets to reach broader communities with sustainable foods.

The mid-Atlantic, Northeast and Southeast saw the biggest percentage growth in markets, reporting 15.8, 14.4 and 13.1 per cent increases.

Source: Organic Consumers
https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/us-farmers-markets-surge-usda

Iggy don't even write her own raps. She's a label creation.

How do y'all feel about Riff Raff? Dude seems like a massive parody of black people to me.

I can speak on Riff Raff cuz Im from Houston. But, naw he been in the streets heavy promoting his own music and subsequently found his niche. Granted he does sound like Big Tuck and others from TEXAS to boot, but he did grind and such and is part of the H. So naw, Riff Raff is not a parody of Black people IMO. I mean would you say Paul Wall is a parody cuz he's white and rocks grills. They were raised on the culture down here and it's evident. They are respected in the H.

Last edited:
i think they are equally important...one is breeding a perception of blk ppl fed to the masses whether is culture appropriation and c@@nery  which leads to justification on why black lives don't matter to the majority. This whole police crap is def outa hand but notice when a blk person die.. the first thing that is attacked is his or her character to justify a reason for their death.

There Character isn't attacked and degraded because of rap music... We have been degraded since our inception in this country. To claim that Hiphop music justifies it is :smh:, and shows that the long time criminalization of hiphop culture in the media is working. We always tend to look at the negatives that hiphop culture breeds rather than the positives, & it's like waging war on something we created.

Despite the narrative the media constantly runs hiphop music does more positive for the community than negative.

also i honestly can't fathom how you came to the conclusion that people who directly effect laws & regulations & who we have witnessed for years have the ability to kill or jail blacks on their own accord are somehow equivalent to Rappers.

USDA: Urban Farmers Markets Becoming Increasingly Popular

View media item 1316972

Urban farmers markets across the US have become increasingly popular over the past few years and are now surging and expanding at unseen levels, according the the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA will announce Friday that the number of direct-sales markets has increased 9.6 per cent over the past year.

“Farmers markets are a critical ingredient to our nation’s food system,” USDA Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan told the Associated Press. “These outlets provide benefits not only to the farmers looking for important income opportunities, but also to the communities looking for fresh, healthy foods.”

After 18 years of steady growth, the number of farmers markets across the country now registered with the USDA is up to 7,864 — compared to the 1,744 registered in 1994. California and New York currently have the greatest amount of farmers markets per state.

The USDA recently made markets more accessible to low income families by outfitting many markets with the ability to accept payments from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which have allowed markets to reach broader communities with sustainable foods.

The mid-Atlantic, Northeast and Southeast saw the biggest percentage growth in markets, reporting 15.8, 14.4 and 13.1 per cent increases.

Source: Organic Consumers
https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/us-farmers-markets-surge-usda

This is also a very integral part of the black community that often gets left out... Hell ALL of America has a horrible diet, but considering we have the lowest incomes it really hurts us because in our neighborhoods, it's really difficult to find anything healthy.

What we put into our bodies really dictates so much and as i'm getting older i'm realizing this.

There Character isn't attacked and degraded because of rap music... We have been degraded since our inception in this country. To claim that Hiphop music justifies it is
mean.gif
, and shows that the long time criminalization of hiphop culture in the media is working. We always tend to look at the negatives that hiphop culture breeds rather than the positives, & it's like waging war on something we created.

Despite the narrative the media constantly runs hiphop music does more positive for the community than negative.

also i honestly can't fathom how you came to the conclusion that people who directly effect laws & regulations & who we have witnessed for years have the ability to kill or jail blacks on their own accord are somehow equivalent to Rappers.
i didnt make myself clear......they use hiphop as propaganda to ppl who dont understand it as a basis to criminalize us. Thats y pac ran with that thug life scenario. And you cant deny that certain rappers are making it easier. What i am saying is that they focus on the negative aspects  to destroy our image. Of course they have been degrading us since the beginning of time but im giving  an example of what they doing now. All im saying is that they are continually using excuses to dehumanize thoughout generations and currently its the use of modern day mistrelsy(SOME rappers) ignorant victim blaming (blacks are the problem without acknowledge the obvious white supremecy), false notion of black on black crime...etc to justify killings.  Propaganda is everything and things that are put in the media positive or negative(and with blk its mostly negative) always have a political agenda. And this propaganda will def get alot of ppl on the cops side. sorry for all the grammatical errors lol.

Nah i Def feel you on that. It's a constant in the media in every way possible to try and vilify blacks and make it seem as if we all exhibit lower mindsets or behaviors and like you said it is a very concentrated attack.

In these times I've just witnessed how many blacks are starting to also adapt to that mindset of it's "Us who have to fix us". That statement isn't wrong by any means, yes black people have to acknowledge the faults in our society and work to do more as a whole, but we can't ignore all of the other major aspects that inherently lead to the division in the black community.

I constantly hear people blaming entertainers or athletes for their messages but they don't ever attack the system & values behind WHY these entertainers & athletes act the way their do. It's like many people really can't perceive how all these different aspects are intertwined and lead to the results we have now. I'm kind of sympathetic to those rappers who spew ignorance, because in many cases they are young guys in their twenties who have been force fed ignorance & a materialistic mindset throughout their entire lives.

So when they are making these songs they are simply worried about themselves & their immediate families and getting out of a ****** up situation. They are generally doing what 80% of Americans do, just looking out for themselves, except they have a much more humongous reach & influence. However it's the decision we all face at the end of the day, do for self or for the community.

I seen this dudes work before, but for some reason I missed this one

Was crazy reading people's interpretation of it. It was created by Pawel Kuczynski if anyone wants to check out his other works.

Nah i Def feel you on that. It's a constant in the media in every way possible to try and vilify blacks and make it seem as if we all exhibit lower mindsets or behaviors and like you said it is a very concentrated attack.

In these times I've just witnessed how many blacks are starting to also adapt to that mindset of it's "Us who have to fix us". That statement isn't wrong by any means, yes black people have to acknowledge the faults in our society and work to do more as a whole, but we can't ignore all of the other major aspects that inherently lead to the division in the black community.

I constantly hear people blaming entertainers or athletes for their messages but they don't ever attack the system & values behind WHY these entertainers & athletes act the way their do. It's like many people really can't perceive how all these different aspects are intertwined and lead to the results we have now. I'm kind of sympathetic to those rappers who spew ignorance, because in many cases they are young guys in their twenties who have been force fed ignorance & a materialistic mindset throughout their entire lives.

So when they are making these songs they are simply worried about themselves & their immediate families and getting out of a ****** up situation. They are generally doing what 80% of Americans do, just looking out for themselves, except they have a much more humongous reach & influence. However it's the decision we all face at the end of the day, do for self or for the community.
AGREED 100%

This video was disgusting. He showed no sympathy at all with the 12 y/o boy who got shot. He wants respect and an apology from Andrew Hawkins simply becasue he disagrees with his opinion?

When you have these type of people in positions of authority its no wonder we are treated the way we are. These cops create an environment for violence and are shocked when violence happens?? W

And that video with the white men singing a praising the fact that Mike Brown is dead is pure evil. That has to be the most wickedest things I've ever heard in my life. :smh:

Just thinking about that Banner interview and a couple of things stood out to me

1) is the lack of OG's and people being held accountable for there *******.
2) The idea of the panthers being cool.

I think those two are the biggest problems facing us right now, it's uncool or corny to want to think or talk about anything out the ordinary. Nobody is coming out and calling these dudes out and putting hands on them for being weak.

In the old history of the Panthers or hell Even street gangs OG's held order and kept dudes from ****** up, even if it was through straight fear. I just witnessed someone with a large # of followers say twitter is for networking, jokes & ignorance... forget all that positivity . all i could do is :smh:, because i know no one is gonna really put dude on blast for being a sucka.

We got dudes out here claiming to be Gangsta, but not taking care of their families, running from their problems gettin high off weed, pills, lean all day and yet somehow they could still come out everyday and still be respected as a man. That's crazy to me because like Banner said in the days of the panthers you would be looked at as weak doing things like that & SOME of the youth looks at that and respects it.

Last edited:
Just thinking about that Banner interview and a couple of things stood out to me

1) is the lack of OG's and people being held accountable for there *******.
2) The idea of the panthers being cool.

I think those two are the biggest problems facing us right now, it's uncool or corny to want to think or talk about anything out the ordinary. Nobody is coming out and calling these dudes out and putting hands on them for being week.

In the old history of the Panthers or hell Even street gangs OG's held order and kept dudes from ****** up, even if it was through straight fear. I just witnessed someone with a large # of followers say twitter is for networking, jokes & ignorance... forget all that positivity . all i could do is :smh:, because i know no one is gonna really put dude on blast for being a sucka.

We got dudes out here claiming to be Gangsta, but not taking care of their families, running from their problems gettin high off weed, pills, lean all day and yet somehow they could still come out everyday and still be respected as a man. That's crazy to me because like Banner said in the days of the panthers you would be looked at as weak doing things like that & SOME of the youth looks at that and respects it.
REPPED

Last edited:

what does this even mean??? there is nothing particularly special about the black man (or any man of any other "race" for that matter) that should warrant this type of thinking, it reads like a line from those terrible hidden colors movies (not that there aren't some truths in some of those films, but we don't have be greater than to be able to exist as our ultimate selves in this world)...

this isn't to say that they way people of color (and perhaps especially black men) are viewed by larger society is accidental. throughout the history of this country, much propaganda has been created to frame people of color in a negative light (dw griffith's birth of a nation comes mind) from the wars on crime, drugs, poverty, welfare, etc. oft times the picture painted was a person of color either being the culprit or the needy in some way. opportunists playing on the fears and insecurities of the populace at large (especially those on the low end who were justified in these fears because the world was changing around them quickly, from agriculture, industrial, service work, rural to urban and suburban each shift bringing about more & new challenges), this programming as gone on for a loooooooong time (to the point that not only has it spread beyond the borders of this country but people of color now also believe it of ourselves), and only recently has the facade begun to crack. to my mind most of the issues today seem to be much more about class than race, but that is a bigger discussion...

which is why it is surprising that people seem to be caught of guard by what is happening at the moment; now the loss of life is not something to be taken lightly, and you can empathize with the families involved loss and want of justice but it does feel like something of a distraction to be protesting about these things when it may not be the main issue at hand. I don't really know what the solution is from that side, people are inherently fallible; in such a high stakes, high stress situations mistakes will be made and while more accountability, responsibility, & transparency is welcome & maybe necessary, to some extent I think in a profession as fraternal and risky as policing is in this country is i wonder if by denigrating police in this way and to placing more things on their plate will really result in better outcomes...because im not sure that the incidence of police officers abusing power is on an increasing (or decreasing?) slope or just that every incident is getting much more play in the 24/7 current media environment

as for the premise of this thread, I would disagree in principle with the notion that there is a such thing as "black culture" and if there was it certainly isn't a monolithic, singular one...now there may in fact be a certain set of experiences that come when it comes to the hue of your skin as it relates to how others see you (or your perception of how others see you) but wouldn't call that a part of culture and I think in many ways that has been apart of how it is framed and lends to victimization (and/or transcending of it) being somehow integral to being black...

if it hasn't been mentioned already people should really check out michelle alexander's book on mass incarceration, called the new jim crow. I'd also recommend a book called our black year, while not especially good it does bring out some great anecdotal examples of the difficulty of business in black communities...also guns, germs, and steel should just be required reading at this point...

what does this even mean??? there is nothing particularly special about the black man (or any man of any other "race" for that matter) that should warrant this type of thinking, it reads like a line from those terrible hidden colors movies (not that there aren't some truths in some of those films, but we don't have be greater than to be able to exist as our ultimate selves in this world)...

this isn't to say that they way people of color (and perhaps especially black men) are viewed by larger society is accidental. throughout the history of this country, much propaganda has been created to frame people of color in a negative light (dw griffith's birth of a nation comes mind) from the wars on crime, drugs, poverty, welfare, etc. oft times the picture painted was a person of color either being the culprit or the needy in some way. opportunists playing on the fears and insecurities of the populace at large (especially those on the low end who were justified in these fears because the world was changing around them quickly, from agriculture, industrial, service work, rural to urban and suburban each shift bringing about more & new challenges), this programming as gone on for a loooooooong time (to the point that not only has it spread beyond the borders of this country but people of color now also believe it of ourselves), and only recently has the facade begun to crack. to my mind most of the issues today seem to be much more about class than race, but that is a bigger discussion...

which is why it is surprising that people seem to be caught of guard by what is happening at the moment; now the loss of life is not something to be taken lightly, and you can empathize with the families involved loss and want of justice but it does feel like something of a distraction to be protesting about these things when it may not be the main issue at hand. I don't really know what the solution is from that side, people are inherently fallible; in such a high stakes, high stress situations mistakes will be made and while more accountability, responsibility, & transparency is welcome & maybe necessary, to some extent I think in a profession as fraternal and risky as policing is in this country is i wonder if by denigrating police in this way and to placing more things on their plate will really result in better outcomes...because im not sure that the incidence of police officers abusing power is on an increasing (or decreasing?) slope or just that every incident is getting much more play in the 24/7 current media environment

as for the premise of this thread, I would disagree in principle with the notion that there is a such thing as "black culture" and if there was it certainly isn't a monolithic, singular one...now there may in fact be a certain set of experiences that come when it comes to the hue of your skin as it relates to how others see you (or your perception of how others see you) but wouldn't call that a part of culture and I think in many ways that has been apart of how it is framed and lends to victimization (and/or transcending of it) being somehow integral to being black...

if it hasn't been mentioned already people should really check out michelle alexander's book on mass incarceration, called the new jim crow. I'd also recommend a book called our black year, while not especially good it does bring out some great anecdotal examples of the difficulty of business in black communities...also guns, germs, and steel should just be required reading at this point...

No these issues are about race and we have got to stop trying to downplay it to make it comfortable for everyone else. Classism is also a problem, but blacks worldwide our held at the bottom and attacked. Their is an extra emphasis on black people in every single society on this Earth, that is for a reason.

As far protesting being a distraction to the bigger problem i would answer that the justice system having the right to kill us at will is one of the biggest issues CLEARLY. I don't want to hear about the difficulty of the cops jobs or "mistakes" happening when it comes to black mens lives, this isn't only an issue of killings that are going on, this is a long history of police beatdowns, police corruption, & the criminalizing of black men for 100's of years. At some point we have to stop thinking this system is "broken" and realizing that this is the exact system people want in power. It's the exact system that helped build this country, & being sympathetic towards them and making it easier for them is gonna change nothing.

American media loves to throw around the word "victimization" and insinuate that somehow blacks shouldn't discuss the fact that we ARE VICTIMS. We have been victimized and targets of destruction for centuries & not going to feel bad about pointing that out. As of this very day we are being targeted and we're expected to move as if the playing field is level and we somehow should work within the system. :smh:

your post reads as if being docile & not pissing off a regime that wants to Lynch us all is somehow going to bring change

Last edited:
All these trolls on this site just shows how ignorant white America is :smh:

Mad annoying at times and I lowkey wish it was as open as it used to be. Internet is these ******* safe haven

Last edited:
Trust i get into it also.. but at points you have to realize ignorance has been instilled in many people and there is NOTHING we could do about it. Trying to change peoples mind just isn't gonna do it. wasting positive energy on fools ain't gonna do it. We have to use that towards bettering ourselves

Real ****...at this point I'm just toying with them. Funny how butt hurt they got when I gave them a taste of their own medicine

I'm sure I'll catch the ban hammer and they won't for all the **** they've been saying :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom