Black Culture Discussion Thread

I need to know in recent decades what lives have actually been changed by Black people protesting in America.
I'm trying to figure out if ya'll serious or not.
best_lyndon_johnson_signing_civil_rights_act.jpg

So all of the protesting that actually got us to this point, that got us our civil rights is somehow gonna stop working?

and yet our civil rights come with an expiration date, constantly having to be renewed with every police shooting of an unarmed black person or random yt folks calling the police on us for everyday things.

Mama Aretha Franklin, Dr. Katie Cannon, and Sterling Stuckey all transitioned today. The world is a little less brighter today. Your lives and contributions to our community will never die. They live on in the people you touched.

• Clinton Stanley said his son was denied from attending A Book's Christian Academy in Florida because he has dreadlocks and it goes against school policy
  • School administrators said the policy states that boys have to have short hair
  • Stanley went on Facebook Live to record his exchange with school officials as they told him and six-year-old Clinton that they would have to un-enroll him
  • Stanley said he took his son out of the school and enrolled him in a public school

A six-year-old boy in Florida missed his first day of school because administrators at the private Christian school he was enrolled at said he could not attend class until he cut his dreadlocks.

Clinton Stanley Sr, the boy's outraged father, took to Facebook this week saying that the staff at A Book's Christian Academy in Apopka told him that his son's hairstyle violated school policy.

Stanley captured the exchange with school officials in a Facebook Live video.

'My son just got told that he cannot attend the school with his hair,' Stanley says.

As the father films, six-year-old Clinton dressed in the school's uniform and wearing a bookbag, stands outside the door.

If that's not biased then I don't know what is,' he says. 'Personal opinion.'

Stanley asks if he could braid his son's dreadlocks up, but a school official tells him she doesn't think that's allowed because 'it has to be above the ears'.

'That's crazy,' Stanley says, telling his son not to worry. 'He ready to go to school, but he can't.'

Another administrator tells Stanley that she will have to un-enroll Clinton from the school.

'I don't want him here period. That's his hair,' he responds, pointing out that the female teacher's hair is to her shoulders. 'What's the difference? ... That's a rule, I respect that. It's just not right. It's not. ... That's not very disrespectful and biased. I should have been told this months ago.'

The school officials then tell Stanley that the policy on hair is in the school handbook, but Stanley says it should specifically state that dreadlocks are not allowed.

At one point in the video, Clinton asks his father to put his hair up in a ponytail but Stanley says the school won't allow it.

Stanley said instead of cutting his son's hair - which Clinton wanted in dreadlocks - he enrolled the little boy in a public school. Clinton started at Lovell Elementary School on Tuesday.

An administrator for A Book's told The Ledger that its policy requiring boys have short hair has been implemented since the school was founded in 1971, and nearby private schools have similar rules.

'No dreads,' administrator Sue Book said. 'All of our boys have short hair ... It's the style of hair. We don't allow it. We never have.'

Book said the policy is listed in their parent/student handbook. Stanley, however, pointed out in a Facebook post that the school's handbook also states: 'Since all children are created in the image of God, no student will be denied admission because of race, color or national origin'.

'A Book's Christian Academy can out this in the handbook but turn him around (sic) cause of his dreds,' Stanley wrote.

Book also denied claims that race was a factor telling the outlet that 95 per cent of the students at the school are black.

'I've had all kinds of obscene, ugly calls,' Book said. 'It's just hard.'

Stanley said he plans to hold a community meet up on Thursday to 'discuss discrimination policies that target black hair and black children in schools'.

No, he shouldn't have to do any of that ****.
It is what is is man.

He shouldn't have to but we know LGBT rights are more intimidating that black rights and blocking them from expressing themselves comes with a greater penalty/public backlash.

Also, I wasn't being serious with my comment man

It is what is is man.

He shouldn't have to but we know LGBT rights are more intimidating that black rights and blocking them from expressing themselves comes with a greater penalty/public backlash.

Also, I wasn't being serious with my comment man
Gotcha. I agree that its more intimidating and thats cause it affects the white man. The moment that they hear that their rights are getting infringed on, they go ape ****. Could careless about anybody else. It's like with stop and frisk. When America fully embraces the military state ideology, that is when you'll see more white people in an uproar about stop and frisk etc cause it will then be affecting them, but for now, they just see it as the police just doing their job.

Back
Top Bottom