Black Culture Discussion Thread

What I Learned When A Guy Insulted My Skin Color On A Date

5b6355b71900002900c6b72d.jpeg

...A couple of months later, we were dating regularly and I genuinely enjoyed his company. One day we took a trip to the beach for an afternoon of fun in the sun. With the relaxing sound of waves crashing, the warmth of the Florida sun and the refreshing ocean breeze, it had all the makings of a beautiful date.

That’s when it happened.

After we changed into our beachwear and made our way to the shoreline, he jokingly said to me, “I hope I don’t get as dark as you.

I looked at him as if he had two heads. I know he didn’t say what I think he just said, I thought to myself. While I took mental note of his racist remark, I decided to let it go for the time being, thinking that everyone says stupid things from time to time and I also didn’t want to come across as too sensitive or defensive (even though I had every right to be).

As a dark-skinned black woman, this was not the first time that my complexion had been referred to in a negative manner by a potential mate...

Last edited:
Yeah...gonna side with over sensitive with that one. Sun darkening our skin has been a common theme for my family.

From a kid I have gone from dark caramel to chocolate with my skin tone as has everyone else in my family (except my sister but she started out lighter than js) and we do not hesitate to mention how "smutty" we've become.

Yeah...gonna side with over sensitive with that one. Sun darkening our skin has been a common theme for my family.

From a kid I have gone from dark caramel to chocolate with my skin tone as has everyone else in my family (except my sister but she started out lighter than js) and we do not hesitate to mention how "smutty" we've become.

You don't get it tho, cause you ain't dark skinned.

Thats the type of BS that makes dark skinned black children grow up hating themselves and their skin. Yeah he was joking, but she probably grew up as a child getting picked on at some point by "dark caramel" kids.

I know I did. But growing up as a boy was different. You either had to learn to throw shots back, or throw them hands.

You call it becoming "smutty", we call it who we are and who we always have been. You look a it as a period of "I can't wait for my skin to clear back up", but our skin doesn't "clear up". Its not a burden to us, because its our skin.

It might not seem that deep to you, but then again, you ain't lived it the way a dark skinned person has lived it.

Nah...i don't look at it as I can't wait for my skin to clear up. It's no big deal for me, but as you said I didn't grow up dealing with this idea that my skin color automatically made me ugly.

My niece (sister's...yes the one who stayed relatively light...daughter) is naturally dark skinned and she never mentioned about being teased about her skin tone. But I also have never asked. Would be interesting to see how her experience has been so far.

Growing up I never automatically associated dark skinned people as ugly but, if you lined up who i had an attraction to, 10 out of 10 would probably be light skinned...definitely no one that could be referred to as dark skinned...no one with a darker complexion than Ashley (Fresh Prince) or Lisa (Saved by the Bell). But when I was a teenager, a friend opened my eyes to the fact that when a dark skinned girl is cute, they are usually the baddest of the bunch. Our reference point was the chick in Pharell's Frontin' video. And since then, most dark skinned chicks look pretty damn good to me.

I'll still drop a joke about them being dark, but youre right, I don't understand the stigma cuz I wasn't dealing with it growing up.

Btw I am as dark if not darker than the chick pictured on this page...i was assuming that was the person referenced in the article...which is why i was comfortable saying she is being sensitive.

Dark caramel was probably a bad description for my younger skin tone. Let's say it was milk chocolate and only got darker over time.

It all depends on where you grow up, how confident you were as a child, and how you handled confrontation.

It did bother me for a long period as a child, probably from ages 6-11, but once I hit middle school around age 12-13 I had to learn to toughen up and fire back. Maybe she (the girl in the article) never had someone point out her skin complexion as a flaw, or like she said "by a potential mate".

Kid are mean, fam. That **** could really **** you up for a long time until you grow the courage to love yourself and not care what anyone says or thinks about you. And then its a female at that, she already probably sensitive about life in general.

Theres a difference between a chick telling me to "get my dark choloate *** over here" and "boy get yo black *** over here"

The latter would probably piss me off depending on the situation

But isn't saying a female is "probably already sensitive about life in general" being insensitive in regards to your general opinion of females?

Area's Undocumented Immigrants From Mauritania Fearful of Deportation

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.08.55 PM.png

http://www.dispatch.com/news/201808...grants-from-mauritania-fearful-of-deportation

Ahmed Tidiane has watched 50 members of his community be deported and dozens of others make life-changing decisions because of fear of being sent back to the country where they were persecuted and enslaved.

Tidiane, who lives in Canal Winchester and is from the West African country of Mauritania, knows Columbus residents from his home country who have sold their businesses, put their houses on the market and cashed in their 401(k)s before leaving for Canada or hiding out here for fear of deportation.

"When you go, you will lose all your assets back here," said Tidiane, who came to the U.S. in 2000 and tries to be an advocate for other local Mauritanians silenced because they're afraid of being deported. "When you go (to Mauritania), you're facing a new beast — the Mauritanian government. You can be jailed, arrested or killed. I'm scared."

The fear, pervasive and seemingly inescapable, is due to the changes President Donald Trump made when he took office. The Trump administration has altered immigration policies, some of which had been in effect for more than 15 years, and made every person in the country without documentation a priority.

Khaalid Walls, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman, said the agency is focused on deporting public-safety threats, such as convicted criminals, but any undocumented immigrant can be removed from the country.

The agency doesn't choose who to prioritize anymore, Walls said, as it did for years under the Bush and Obama administrations, when criminals were the priority. Despite that, ICE mostly has detained those who have criminal convictions or pending charges or who illegally re-entered the country. Walls said 92 percent of people arrested by the agency between October 2016 and September 2017 fell into those categories.

Julie Nemecek, an attorney in Columbus who has represented some Mauritanians in immigration proceedings, said of the change: "Virtually everyone who was given discretion and told they could stay has been told to leave."

Now, ICE officials seem to be focusing on Mauritanians in central Ohio, Tidiane and Nemecek say.

ICE has been systematically picking up Mauritanians and detaining them," said Nemecek, who is representing nine Mauritanians in a group case. "There are 10 to 20 detained at any time."

ICE is "essentially deporting them into slave trade," she said.

Black Moors, a class of people in Mauritania, are persecuted by White Moors and the corrupt government and are often enslaved. In 2011, the Mauritanian government conducted a census to purge Black Moors from the country's records, and anyone not in the country at that time was erased, Nemecek said.

Tidiane was persecuted, like many others in his country, and won an asylum case in the United States, but many others were unable to do the same because they lacked English skills and education. He estimates that 3,000 Mauritanians live in Columbus; many have been here for years or decades, as Tidiane has, but they lack documentation.

Although ordered deported years ago, Mauritanians, like many other undocumented immigrants, were allowed to stay if they reported yearly to ICE offices. Once they did, they were given work authorization, and many built houses and started businesses and families, settling in to a country where they thought they were welcome.

Most live in a community on the East Side, although they're scattered, and they came to Columbus years ago for its jobs and low cost of living and the presence of others they know who had arrived before them.

Tidiane came because his cousin lived in Columbus. Now, Tidiane believes that Columbus is the "best city in the world."

Mauritanians own restaurants, raise families, worship at a mosque they built, work in factories and are part of the community, Tidiane said.

ICE is "essentially deporting them into slave trade," she said.

St. Louis Area Woman Says She Was Denied Job Because of 'Ghetto' Name
17413201_G.jpg

(Credit: KMOV/Hermeisha Robinson)

http://www.kmov.com/story/38884024/st-louis-area-woman-denied-job-because-of-ghetto-name-she-says

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) -

A St. Louis area woman’s Facebook post is going viral after she was denied a job with a local company because of her “ghetto” name.

Hermeisha Robinson posted to her page Monday that she applied for a customer service representative position with Mantality Health in Chesterfield. Robinson was hurt when she received an email back from the company saying, “unfortunately we do not consider candidates that have suggestive ghetto names.”

Robinson went on to say in her post that, “my feelings are very hurt,” and “I would like for everyone to share this post because discrimination has to stop.” Her post has over 7,000 shares as of Tuesday afternoon.

News 4 spoke with Jack Gamache from Mantality Health who said their system was not hacked but their Indeed, a job posting website, account was hacked.

Mantality Health CEO Kevin Meuret says they think about 20 people got emails similar to Robinson's.

"This is not a reflection of who we are as a company," said Meuret. "This is deplorable."

Meuret says the person that appears to have sent the email does work for the company but, "has nothing to do with hiring and is a great employee."

Indeed has responded saying there is no evidence to support that hacking occurred:

Account security is of upmost importance to Indeed and something that we diligently monitor. Account holders are responsible for use of their password and we recommend frequent updates and complete confidentiality of your password. Our investigation into this particular account shows no evidence of compromise.

Music fans were understandably miffed by Smith’s off-the-cuff revelation (especially since his sound is obviously influenced by Black artists like Jackson), but R&B legend Stephanie Mills went all the way off on the Grammy-winner.

“Don’t come for MICHAEL JACKSON when you wish you have sold as many records and you wish you were the King of Pop like he was,” Mills wrote on Instagram, launching into a scathing attack on Smith that he likely wasn’t expecting.

I’m so tired of you people studying our music, and studying our artist and claiming that you don’t like our music,” Mills continued. “Go sit your 1 HIT WONDER *** down and learn how to finish a tour. When you can sell as many records as the king of Pop, Michael Jackson then maybe you can say something.”
Before ending her smackdown, Mills — who dated Jackson back in the 70s — gave Smith a warning: Don’t even think about responding.

“So I say to you Mr. Smith have several seats,” she commanded, “and come for me if you want to.”
Although some fans — like Mills — also came for Smith for his musical tastes, others defended the British singer on social media.

Posted the video here the other day. For the most part it was good until it got to the hip hop part.

Can you give a slight synopsis of that video because as you stated, it's not the first time im seeing it posted but never got around to It.

You can leave out anything regarding hip hop. I wouldn't be watching that segment of the video anyway.

Can you give a slight synopsis of that video because as you stated, it's not the first time im seeing it posted but never got around to It.

You can leave out anything regarding hip hop. I wouldn't be watching that segment of the video anyway.
I have a reallly really bad memory, but for the most part its divided into three parts

Part 1 - Slavery
Part 2 - Civil Rights Movement
Part 3 - Hip Hop

Part 1 was mainly about how slavery in the US went beyond economic purposes. It was to psychologically destroy us through separating the enslaved africans from our origins and knowledge of Africa.

Part 2 was about about how integration and the Civil Rights movement was an economic policy. He went on to say that Blacks at the time were thriving in many areas. We had our own businesses and that our condition was steadily improving. The economy at the time was in bad condition while we were flourishing. Integration would bring in more revenue to improve the economy and all that. We were being used. He then went on to say that many black people weren't for integration and that Martin Luther King was used as the poster boy to push integration to the masses.

As ridiculous as it sounds, part 2 was the most interesting part.

Back
Top Bottom