Bachelor Pad.

I actually put an offer in on this very place, and the seller told me I was the highest offer that wasn't all cash.  In the end I'm actually relieved I didn't get it.  Chinese investors stunting something serious here in SF real estate 
laugh.gif

I was in contract earlier this year for another studio in SOMA but that fell through since I had some issues securing the loan in SF... In much better shape now and should close this 935 sq ft. condo in South SF in a couple weeks:

The furnishings are staged so I'm pretty much dealing with an empty unit and I'm not really sure what to do with it.  Given the color of the hardwood and the marble kitchen what sorts of colors would you guys go with for the furniture?  I'm 28 and single

I actually put an offer in on this very place, and the seller told me I was the highest offer that wasn't all cash.  In the end I'm actually relieved I didn't get it.  Chinese investors stunting something serious here in SF real estate 
laugh.gif

I was in contract earlier this year for another studio in SOMA but that fell through since I had some issues securing the loan in SF... In much better shape now and should close this 935 sq ft. condo in South SF in a couple weeks:

The furnishings are staged so I'm pretty much dealing with an empty unit and I'm not really sure what to do with it.  Given the color of the hardwood and the marble kitchen what sorts of colors would you guys go with for the furniture?  I'm 28 and single
looks great and a huge fan of the open floorplan

Real nice place man.congrats.

Inknow that had to be pricey especially being in spith city

anybody have shipping container homes?
shipping container homes are awesome but they are harder to get zoning approval for...id love to live in one but most of them are used as "cabins" type out in woods

Brookland section of DC has a few container apartments that opened up within the last year, but the neighbors weren't necessarily thrilled, I'm a fan though, but i don't like the shutters/doors on the edge...

Yeah I love those. I like that industrial sort of look - the ones I've seen are a sort of rusty orange color rather than painted. They're good value too but land round here is super expensive.

Just closed my second place here in Calgary, forst place with the wife. Its about 550 sq ft. Copped da couch at massive sale from ub.

My kitchen is beautiful thats all i wanted. My biggest problem is the neighbour/view from balcony.

Sigh.. I suck at photography.

Last edited:
its pretty much in the gutter as you said lol. Getting even lower with in next couple of months for sure. Great for buyers.

However Calgary is still really strong in terms of avg price. Its the upscale/luxury market that took the biggest hits.

Last edited:
So I went to see a place studio, basically a studio apartment(400sq ft)

Im going to be renting it but would like to redo floor since it has carpet across the whole apartment

What would be a good cheap alternative that I can use as flooring... I was looking at laminated wood and those pre-glue tiles

Only plan on staying here for like 1-2 years so I don't wanna go all out on the floor

Thanks!

So I went to see a place studio, basically a studio apartment(400sq ft)

Im going to be renting it but would like to redo floor since it has carpet across the whole apartment

What would be a good cheap alternative that I can use as flooring... I was looking at laminated wood and those pre-glue tiles

Only plan on staying here for like 1-2 years so I don't wanna go all out on the floor

Thanks!
Have you checked with your landlord/property management to see if they'll allow you to alter the unit? Basically every rental lease won't let you do much beyond hang pictures without their approval.

Laminate is probably least expensive option.

In my opinion, don't waste your time and money on a rental property. Just get a cool carpet/rug and put it on top of the carpeting. If its a neutral colour it wont look bad. You are looking at about 2 grand in renovation costs ( supplies and labor) in raising the value of some one else's property.

$30 per 15 sq ft. If you are doing half the apartment its about $400-500. Just the supplies. Tools is about $150. If you know how to cut and measure you can do it yourself, if not a contracter would probably charge around $500 to lay it down and remove carpeting.

Since you are looking at vinyl tiling as well, add about the same costs for that.

That is about $200 extra per month if you are there for one year. And $100 extra per month if 2 years...

Last edited:
Yea I know the landlord... She said I can do whatever I'd like

Of course she would, you literally gonna fix up HER place...when you move out, those brand new floors YOU put in will be her selling point to the next tenant....

NEVER INVEST IN A RENTAL, EVER.

yep you need to simply look for a rental that has your preferred layout/flooring, not remodel a lease..

anyone of you guys have any type of security in your homes? If so, what kind 
nerd.gif

My parents are giving me the lower unit of one of their houses so I was thinking of getting a safe and maybe cams in the front and back of the house. 

I have Xfinity Home Security, it's cool.

Also, never invest in a rental. EVER! You're gifting them extra cash for years to come.

Anyone about that Nest life?

I have Xfinity Home Security, it's cool.

Also, never invest in a rental. EVER! You're gifting them extra cash for years to come.

I changed the thermostat in my apartment. It had an old analog/mercury one that really wasn't precise at turning on the AC/Heat.

I didn't buy a Nest though. Only got a cheap Honeywell one from Walmart. Its digital and programmable for different times of the day. Electricity bill dropped about 20 bucks so I'm happy. I'm taking it with me when I leave and putting the old one back in.

That's the way to go. Landlords purposely don't invest in thier properties hoping the tenant adds something. It's an "Income" property only.

Yea i definitely feel what you people are saying but for what I'm paying in NY, I don't care to dump a few hundred on floor to make me happy

I went to Home Depot, vinyl sheets would probably run me no more than $200 for where I need it... Well worth it

Its really the only thing bothering me

Back
Top Bottom