Another tipping thread.

you are right. just depends on their age as well. i understand respect is earned and given away. however, at times, that picking and choosing can get complicated, especially over something trivial. if the waiter is being an ******* that's one thing, but, if they are doing their job, that should suffice.

If you don't want to tip, just say you are a cheap person and admit. this whole justifying why you don't pay a couple extra bucks is nonsense and it feels like a cover up. frankly, if you don't want to tip, then go you shouldn't eat out and learn to cook at home. but i digress, after all, it is the US, and people truly take freedom of speech to the extremes and abuse it.

Nobody owes you an answer about why they don't tip .

They don't owe anyone an answer.

They don't HAVE to tip. Some of you seem to keep missing that.point.

This, "You should stay home...." Says who???? YOU???

They have the right to eat anywhwre and NOT tip.

Point blank.

Not sure why it bothers folk THAT much what someone does with their own money to the point where insults are thrown out.

Tipping is an option that not everyone agrees on.

Doesn't make them immoral.
Doesn't make them cheap.

It just means they didn't tip

I feel like tipping should be based on how much you’re ordering. If I grab a $10 drink at the bar, I’m not gonna tip you the first time. If I come back to you 2-3 times for additional drinks however, you’ll get a tip. Same goes for eating out. 9/10 I will tip if I’m at a sit down restaurant and how much I tip depends on how pricey my meal is on top of service. I’ve sat at Maggiano’s and racked up a $105 bill but had **** service and left a $6 tip. I’ve sat at Twin Peaks and racked up a $18 bill but had exceptional service and left a $25 tip. I’ve worked for tips before so I respect the hustle and understand how tipping works but I don’t feel like tipping should EVER be mandatory.

Not sure why it bothers folk THAT much what someone does with their own money to the point where insults are thrown out.

Well, the server essentially loses money when a customer doesn't tip. The higher the bill, the more they automatically tip out to other service members like bussers, food runners, expo.

They are hurling insults because the feel insulted that they just lost money by serving you.

Restaurants should just do away with tipping altogether.

Well, the server essentially loses money when a customer doesn't tip. The higher the bill, the more they automatically tip out to other service members like bussers, food runners, expo.

They are hurling insults because the feel insulted that they just lost money by serving you.

The server has the right to be upset, but I am referring to the sideline reporters that feel the need to make character judgements on people that don't tip, as if ANY of us follow ALL the unwritten rules of society.

That is my gripe.

I get it. :lol: at other people calling on son's behalf. That much passion and camaraderie over this topic is just bizarre and funny to me.

One of the reasons I will never go back to a 5 star hotel, gotta tip the doorman/porter, then the guy who gives you your complimentary drink while checking in, then the bellhop :lol:

can a dude check in to his hotel in peace
"I got my own bags." They do stuff for you that you don't even need. I just carried this bag for a few hours to get here, but you think I need you to take my bag upstairs? No. Thanks.

People that clean the room, leave a few dollars each time that happens, I get doing that.

I’d say roughly 70-80% of patrons tip strictly off social norms and will even tip when the service didn’t warrant a tip. Decent servers make bank..
Let NT tell it, people tip because they have a high moral compass.

no they not
just cause yall live in a trash state
that doesnt provide servers with a living wage
doesnt mean cali does
cali gives them minimum wage plus tips
hell if u work in sf u making like 15/hr plus tips
oakland 13 and some change/hr plus tips
and servers still feel entitled on getting tips
but of entitled folks i swear
toxic compensation at its finest

Good point. This is actually one of the things I didn’t use to know until a friend of mine who used to serve pointed it out to me. They’re definitely losing money if there is a bar too & they get stiffed by a table that ordered heavy drinks because the bartender tip out can be OD high.

People don't hold the business owners accountable enough for the benefits they enjoy by not paying folks a full wage and letting them rely on tipping. Do they even offer health insurance?
in sf yes
its the law and a health tax during ur meal for it

Nobody owes you an answer about why they don't tip .

They don't owe anyone an answer.

They don't HAVE to tip. Some of you seem to keep missing that.point.

This, "You should stay home...." Says who???? YOU???

They have the right to eat anywhwre and NOT tip.

Point blank.

Tipping is an option that not everyone agrees on.

Doesn't make them immoral.
Doesn't make them cheap.

It just means they didn't tip
if you do not tip, be prepared to face the consequences and take it like a man. don't be mad at the system if you aren't doing anything to better it. if it is truly against the custom then go protest for wages so that something changes and it becomes the norm. if you have no intention to tip (like some of the crusaders here) then let it be known from the beginning and see how you get treated. after all, seems like most are offended when someone harasses you, so give them your opinion beforehand.

if you are clearly participating in a game of roulette dont be surprised when the ball doesn't land on your color.

no they not
just cause yall live in a trash state
that doesnt provide servers with a living wage
doesnt mean cali does
cali gives them minimum wage plus tips
hell if u work in sf u making like 15/hr plus tips
oakland 13 and some change/hr plus tips
and servers still feel entitled on getting tips
but of entitled folks i swear
toxic compensation at its finest
you feel so entitled. as if 15 an hour is livable in sf. you lose context when you put yourself above them :lol:

Good point. This is actually one of the things I didn’t use to know until a friend of mine who used to serve pointed it out to me. They’re definitely losing money if there is a bar too & they get stiffed by a table that ordered heavy drinks because the bartender tip out can be OD high.
How could i forget the bar. Every server definitely has a heavy tip out there.

if you do not tip, be prepared to face the consequences and take it like a man. don't be mad at the system if you aren't doing anything to better it. if it is truly against the custom then go protest for wages so that something changes and it becomes the norm. if you have no intention to tip (like some of the crusaders here) then let it be known from the beginning and see how you get treated. after all, seems like most are offended when someone harasses you, so give them your opinion beforehand.

if you are clearly participating in a game of roulette dont be surprised when the ball doesn't land on your color.

What consequences are there though? All the customer in a situation where a server calls them out needs to do is just call management or corporate and the employee will be dealt with and the meal likely comped to make up for the embarrassment. A negative review stating how the employee chased them down to air them out over tip grievances looks bad on the restaurant no matter how it’s spinned.

Should a customer tip if the service warrants it? Of course, given how the system in place is. You know the deal before you go to the restaurant.

That said, it’s unprofessional and a horrible representation of a restaurant if the server takes it upon themselves to call out paying customers. No manager or owner is going to want the potential issues that come with a hot headed ticking time bomb who can’t control their emotions. No matter how pissed they feel about getting stiffed, that type of attitude is toxic and will likely carry over to the next table they serve. You have other customers watching and it sends a horrible message.

We all can argue semantics about whether the customer is in the wrong in these cases, but under no circumstance does not getting tipped justify a server calling out a paying customer in front of everyone. They should be fired for that.

On another note though. If servers are going to call out non paying tippers, they should also refuse tips in cases where they got tipped well despite not bringing their A game service wise. They can’t have it both ways.

Every time I walk by a girl at the mall wanting to use their stupid hand soap and they ask stupid questions/flirt to do it.

Lol, it’s always them. I refused to buy anything and then she asked if I wanted to at least leave her a tip for the time. I told her I don’t even tip strippers and laughed. She was pissed

Interesting how entitled she felt. That is kinda amazing man, what did you do to deserve a tip woman?

Interesting how entitled she felt. That is kinda amazing man, what did you do to deserve a tip woman?
Want to talk about entitlement...

I remember one chick left a gas bill on my dresser. When I walked her out, I didn’t even look at it. I thought it was trash. She called talking about her gas was getting cut off, “didn’t you see my note.”

I said nope and told her I had to go. I’ll try to look for it. Never called her back.

Smh
@Juicebox215 Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if those girls are sex traffic victims. Society is so heavily ladened on thrills that some women feel that the thrill they can provide is equal to something substantial like a home or a meal. They understand the leverage their body provides and that's why they're drawn to dudes that know the deal. Mass and bitties ain't i$h but a thrill and a bill.

Want to talk about entitlement...

@Juicebox215 Thoughts?
Personally I don’t let dudes pay for anything for me, and I have a dude. I pay my own way no matter what, out to eat, movies etc. we split everything. When I was single raising hell I was dumb and paid for **** for dudes like an idiot. But I do that so I don’t feel obligated to do anything because you let a dude pay he expects something. That’s just me though due to my upbringing I’m independent almost obsessively. However, chicks out here date for free meals even if not interested. You give up the meat curtains it doesn’t mean dude owes you **** especially not to pay a damn bill he didn’t create that’s just insanity. You guys care about my opinion now?

Back
Top Bottom