Americans Are Fat AF

I feel like if u watch your food intake a little bit, stay away from soda/junk food, and have an active hobby/lifestyle u should be good

I

@finessence solewoman solewoman

I will say that the resources TO learn how to eat healthier (workshops, classes, info sessions) are EVERYWHERE. If someone KNOWS to look for them, anyone can find them and implement new practices into their lives.

The issue is many people simply don't KNOW that they don't know, so they don't look for the resources.

Now, why some people don't know is more of a systematic issue.

I feel like if u watch your food intake a little bit, stay away from soda/junk food, and have an active hobby/lifestyle u should be good

I
No need to completely stay away from soda and junk food. I have 2 sodas a week/eat ice cream every day/chips a couple times a week/candy or cake everyday and Im fit. I walk a lot though

No need to completely stay away from soda and junk food. I have 2 sodas a week/eat ice cream every day/chips a couple times a week/candy or cake everyday and Im fit. I walk a lot though

No disrespect to you or 1c3m4m but you guys cant make generalized statements like that. Peoples bodies react to certain types of food in so many ways. Everyone has to find what works for them. Consider external factors such as genetics, medical history and metabolism rate.

If someone says they are stopping cold Turkey, I am not sure why, "You don't have to do THAT, just limit it" is a response. Sure, that might be true but if they want to be excellent, don't tell THEM being good is, "good enough." I get what the intent was was but just not sure with how poorly our diets are as Americans that you would tell somebody to do that.

As a janitor in a middle school, ( @ahat20 @nawghtyhare ) I have to write education plans for kids. Before that I have to assess their current abilities through different domains.

The dude I am currently assessing is eating a bag of Haribo Sour Worms FIRST thing in the morning. Trying to have a convo with him about that being the first thing he is putting in his body. He claims he CAN'T wake up early enough to get here in the morning to eat breakfast. I tried explaining to him that him not waking up on time is a choice since he admitted to staying in the bed.

Of course being 13 years old, he has no clue but many kids wake up eating junk food in the morning. I just told him to pay attention to how his body reacts to that type of consumption.

He is already tired as it is, he will crash by 10:15

I’m in the camp of junk food should never be eaten
Occasionally at most.

Imagine how much your body could/would be different if we all grew up eating very healthy foods

Letting go of sodas was a big deal for me. Probably had two all year. Every now and then I have a slush consistency Ginger Ale

Letting go of soda was a major key for me. I'll have a mexican coke or ginger ale once in a while though

I personally think High fructose corn syrup lowkey plays a factor in obesity since it's in most of foods in the US. When I traveled overseas, seeing a big HFCS warning labels for american exported snacks had me like weebay

Letting go of soda was a major key for me. I'll have a mexican coke or ginger ale once in a while though

I personally think High fructose corn syrup lowkey plays a factor in obesity since it's in most of foods in the US. When I traveled overseas, seeing a big HFCS warning labels for american exported snacks had me like weebay
It definitely does since it's used in so many processed foods and had no nutritional value

The way i've come to understand it,

Eliminating soda, high in calories, horrible for your teeth, bad for you in general
Drinking more water, buy a camelbak chute, fill it up when you get home, drink all of it before bed. I keep my water bottle filled constantly at work and drink habitually
Exercise, either 3 full-body workouts a week or 5 targeted workouts a week, whichever you prefer. Your body will thank you, your mind will thank you, and in the future you'll thank you.
Sleep, doesnt matter if you can function off 5-6, you should aim for 7-8 every single night.
Snacks, this really depends. It's very easy to go over your BMR with snacks so unless youre using spreadsheets, youre confident guessing your daily caloric intake, or you hit the gym hard I'd try to skip them. If losing weight is your goal you need to ask yourself if that 250 calorie snickers bar is worth 25 minutes of running.
Im iffy on vegetables. I eat a banana and strawberries daily, poops is smooth, im okay with that

Somewhat related to the thread, this book got me looking at my entire life with new eyes:
Amazon product ASIN B007EJSMC8

No disrespect to you or 1c3m4m but you guys cant make generalized statements like that. Peoples bodies react to certain types of food in so many ways. Everyone has to find what works for them. Consider external factors such as genetics, medical history and metabolism rate.

Absolutely right

But honestly I really think the sugary drinks is the biggest problem

As a janitor in a middle school, ( @ahat20 @nawghtyhare ) I have to write education plans for kids. Before that I have to assess their current abilities through different domains.

The dude I am currently assessing is eating a bag of Haribo Sour Worms FIRST thing in the morning. Trying to have a convo with him about that being the first thing he is putting in his body. He claims he CAN'T wake up early enough to get here in the morning to eat breakfast. I tried explaining to him that him not waking up on time is a choice since he admitted to staying in the bed.

Of course being 13 years old, he has no clue but many kids wake up eating junk food in the morning. I just told him to pay attention to how his body reacts to that type of consumption.

He is already tired as it is, he will crash by 10:15

Man one of the teachers at my middle school had a snack shop during lunch and nutrition. Right from his classroom. Me and my friends would buy a big *** cookie, a soda and/or a small bag of chips. Every day. Disgusting.

Man one of the teachers at my middle school had a snack shop during lunch and nutrition. Right from his classroom. Me and my friends would buy a big *** cookie, a soda and/or a small bag of chips. Every day. Disgusting.

I don't feed children junk food. Ever. Not even sure why teachers do that, so counter-productive.

I even had a debate with one lady that would give her kids Fruit Snacks and I was like you KNOW you are giving them candy right? She argued that Fruit snacks wasn't candy. I think she eventually came around but she still gives it to them.

Reactions: HIM
I don't feed children junk food. Ever. Not even sure why teachers do that, so counter-productive.

I even had a debate with one lady that would give her kids Fruit Snacks and I was like you KNOW you are giving them candy right? She argued that Fruit snacks wasn't candy. I think she eventually came around but she still gives it to them.

I worked in charter schools before and the food they feed them kids are crap from boxes. Afterschool, it's nothing but fruit snacks, chips and box juices :smh:

All she would have to do is read the nutrition guide and see how much fruit is actually NOT in these "fruit snacks".
My dad never let me have soda or juice like that. He was always big on healthy teeth and drinking water and milk. I played sports so I could have gatorade but sodas and junk food have never been a issue/craving for me (and I still have to fight to keep the weight off). But women in my family struggle with weight big time. Had it not been for sports and/or my dad having insight on what to consume, who knows where I would be weight wise.

Playing devil's advocate I could never stay away from mexican food. :frown:

i buy and sell vintage clothes and finding XXL clothing is rare as hell,
and XXL back then is equal to todays XL's,
people were alot more active and the food didnt have so much **** in it.
fast food was a special thing youd eat maybe once a month if you were lucky, at least in my life.
the average size of clothing for american males nowadays is XL.

This is 100% accurate. I don’t go thrifting as much but I buy a lot of vintage tees and I usually shoot for XL because it’s fits basically like a large in most cases. Sometimes XL fits like a damn medium and I have to stretch the tee out after I wash it and let it dry like that.

And before the typical #NTlogic of, "Why not let your kids be kids" response to feeding them junk food; those kids will be fine. Not giving kids junk is in no way stripping them of a childhood.

The world will find a way to give it to them. Friends, school, family, etc....

Back
Top Bottom