Allen Iverson is retiring...Vol: Lets make it a tribute thread, 1996-2009

Originally Posted by chillainvillain

Iverson to the Warriors.
nerd.gif
#$@@ you need another small forward for?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BennyBlanko

my favorite ai moment was when he represented the usa in the olympics after the other superstars bailed out. it sucks that he has to go out like this.

yup. all them dudes were cowards except for ai and timmy d and a few others... dudes scared of the terrorists
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Iverson's MVP season is one of the greatest most overrated single seasons in the history of sports.

Fixed.

And people have the nerve to ask how Iverson is overrated with ridiculous statements like this. The fetish this forum has with Iverson's 00-01 season neverfails to amaze me. It wasn't even the greatest season that year.. In his own sport. Check Shaq's numbers then explain to me how Iverson's season isbetter.

NobleKane:
BennyBlanko:
my favorite ai moment was when he represented the usa in the olympics after the other superstars bailed out. it sucks that he has to go out like this.
yup. all them dudes were cowards except for ai and timmy d and a few others... dudes scared of the terrorists
roll.gif

Nope, just Iverson and Timmy. Of all of the original invitees, only Iverson and Timmy went to Athens. Kidd, T-Mac, Kobe, Vince, Shaq, Jesus,Garnett, Pierce, and I think Zo, and I can't remember who else... they all declined, for various reasons. Ray Allen was the only one to just actually goahead and say he was scared of their security situation.

So major props t Timmy and Iverson for that one.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Iverson's MVP season is one of the greatest most overrated single seasons in the history of sports.

Fixed.

And people have the nerve to ask how Iverson is overrated with ridiculous statements like this. The fetish this forum has with Iverson's 00-01 season never fails to amaze me. It wasn't even the greatest season that year.. In his own sport. Check Shaq's numbers then explain to me how Iverson's season is better.
How is that season overrated?? Stat wise it may not be one of the best single seasons in recent memory, but when you combine that with himcarrying a team to the finals it is. People say oh that conference was weak that year and all that, which is arguable imo, but even if it was, carrying a teamto the finals is very impressive i dont care what year a player does it. The only other player I have seen carry a team to the finals like AI did was maybeLebron when they played the Spurs.

Iverson was a great scorer and his role as an icon in terms of fashion (cornrows, tats, arm sleeve etc) stands out.

But his attitude and lack of evolution make him obsolete. No winning team wants to hurt its chemistry by adding him and no team trying to develop talent willnot want to add a player wont adapt themselves. Iverson could score and still maybe could score 25 a game but not winning basketball. He plays with heart butnever got stronger/durable, never became a better playmaker who could run an offense without holding the ball the whole possesion, his defense got worse, andhis attitude never changed. I mean he had a chance to do big things in Denver but if he's a bad example to Melo and JR then thats not veteran leadership.
Iverson is a better talent then a whole lot of the NBA but if he cant change then no one will want him. Iverson is better then Jordan Farmar, Eddie House,Delonte West, Anthony Johsnon or any other guard off the bench of contenders (even some of the starters come to think of it) but there is reason why he isntplaying for a contender.

Fixed.

And people have the nerve to ask how Iverson is overrated with ridiculous statements like this. The fetish this forum has with Iverson's 00-01 season never fails to amaze me. It wasn't even the greatest season that year.. In his own sport. Check Shaq's numbers then explain to me how Iverson's season is better.

i dont have any idea what im talking about.

Fixed.

the 2nd option on that sixers team was Dikembe Mutumbo at 11 feeble ppg.

Dikembe #$%^ing Mutumbo.

as in if iverson wasnt scoring they had to give the ball to Deke, to score the basketball.

Fixed.

i dont have any idea what im talking about.

Fixed.

the 2nd option on that sixers team was Dikembe Mutumbo at 11 feeble ppg.

Dikembe #$%^ing Mutumbo.

as in if iverson wasnt scoring they had to give the ball to Deke, to score the basketball.

u know how it goes...beat a dude dead and then when he's dead, praise him....thats what its about...if Iverson's 01 season is considered overrated thenthere needs to be a new re-defining of what that word means, cuz the effort, heart and break back play this guy gave, to reach that point is not at all:wow:verrated...the guy is a straight blue collar leader, that what made him who he is...it will obviously be difficult for that to change in half a season, whichhe did try..,and then the next be given a vague offer of a spot to compete to start and then not...

and to those who would say this "comeback" is a joke, I'd say this....Iverson has never been a guy who deliberately looks for anyattention...yes, he had the "Practice!?" rant and his childish moments in Memphis, but really consider or fantasize and try to put urself inshoes...to have a career like he did and hit almost rock bottom like he did, it has got to take a toll on you, walkin away is definitely an option...but when urealise, or thankfully be spoken to by a respected mentor the way John Thompson did, it makes u re-evaluate things. I think the decision to retire was much toohasty just as much as this decision to leave Memphis...with a possible return, to whichever team, whether bottom feeder or contender, AI just needs toexercise restraint and patience, cuz that's definitely what he's missing to be "respected" by all the critics who are quick to cry"overrated" and "good riddance"....and not just to silence the critics but to rejuvinate his career...cuz thats whats needed currently:tongue:atience....

AI has always been truthful and not be the one to say the "right thing" and then go back on it like Rip did in the whole benching affair inDetroit...people also need to remember Rip sulked just as much as AI for trying out the bench experiment, telling he media how he'll do it for the team anddo whatever the team needs me to do etc and then cry foul as soon as it doesn't work ....why isnt he lashed out at either? Yes his place was on that teamand the chemistry was better with him as being a mainstay on that team, (and also clouded by, almost rightfully though by becoming the Pistons player whoscored the most in the postseason, or whatever accolade he got).... but if he too was so much about winning and sacrificing he would've embraced it aswell...Rather than come out quick after losing a few games and then cry-out "something's got to give"...people tend to forget that too and thenofcourse use AI as the scapegoat...cuz he's "posion and chemistry killer"....RIDICULOUS....he stayed true, said he wasnta fan of the move, said he'd try it out whole-heartedly and give the best effort, once it benefitted the team and they were winning....that didnthappen...in my books he had a right to vent his displeasure...wake up critics and stop being strung on to the media...apart from Michael Curry, and yes I'dagree a few bad decisions by Allen himself, the media is just as much a player to blame with all this unfair criticism dude has received...Remember too, AI,aint no Kobe with his supporting cast, and never had a KG to guard his post...he had t do it on his own...thats what defines a leader and when you know you canstill contribute and give up waaayyy too early, thats when you know you have to get back to what/where you should be...

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Man, Iverson was so much fun to watch, amazing player, even better scorer, and what he did for Reebok and the shoe industry should not be overlooked. From the Questions - Answer V, those 6 shoes can stand up pretty well to any 6 year run of almost any shoe model
for me with RBK its really a love/hate relationship, it's ture that a few of those answers (VI and vii comes to mind) are notdeserving sigs shoes, I do appreciate how reebok is always standing behind the players instead overshadowing them. I guess it's a big honor to be signedby JB, but I really don't know at this point is the brand hurting the player from a personal marketing standpoint. back then almost every all star had asig, now it's lebron, kobe and a bunch of people under JB and adidas. I am sure it saves a lot of money from an advertising and operational point of view,but if using the iconic name "Jordan", you are killing all the individuality of all the other players within the brand. It's like a casual fanwatching the lakers, doesn't matter how great pau and ron is, they are still known as kobe and his posse. and it's like kobe has retired, and you arestill marketing the rest of the team under the leftover of his greatness.

probably one of the most exciting ROYs ever. That rookie year, he just crossed everyone, from Scott Brooks falling on his pants to MJ

The 2001 NBA All Star game is on NBA TV right now. AI wins the MVP on this one. Just giving you guys a heads up.

Man, I'm gonna miss this guy !!! He's always been a sight to see, and yes what he did with the industry is amazing !!! ( checking Kiss and the Answeron youtube )

so the only 2 people AI every listened to Larry Brown and Coach Thompson plan on talking to AI and telling him not to retire

I don't even want to read most of the replies in this thread. I was one of the few here who stood by defending him from 2004-2006 or so. Fr3sh and ska canattest to that. It was incredibly annoying to have to deal with some of you during that time, and I don't feel like revisiting the same arguments.

Anyone who remembers me will know how big of a fan I was. The first time I saw him was in March of his freshman year. I think it was Gtown vs. UNC. Ever sincethat game, I watched him as often as I could.

I always wished he could've become something more. He had the talent and court vision to be one of the best point guards out there, but he never fullydeveloped that part of his game. In the end, he was always primarily a scorer, and at 6' you can't make a career out of that. The fact that he did havea run of a couple years where the Sixers were a legit team is incredible.

Good to know not everyone on NT hates AI. Surprised those "haters" are not in this thread considering they are alive in the NBA thread... Haha. Ohwells, no need to argue.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Ya'll really think he's retiring?
I don't think he has any other options and probably "retired" just to save face.

In the event that a team comes his way with a contract, I think we'll see him in the NBA again.

Always been a fan of his heart and work ethic, but man this dude's shooting percentages are horrible. Scoring 31 points a game at 38% shooting is pathetic,it's statistical evidence that you shoot way too much. A career shooting percentage of 42%....c'mon man. His free throw percentage also sucks horribly,and was absolutely terrible a few season....I wonder how many more points this dude could have scored if he could actually shoot well.

Originally Posted by Nek32

Always been a fan of his heart and work ethic, but man this dude's shooting percentages are horrible. Scoring 31 points a game at 38% shooting is pathetic, it's statistical evidence that you shoot way too much. A career shooting percentage of 42%....c'mon man. His free throw percentage also sucks horribly, and was absolutely terrible a few season....I wonder how many more points this dude could have scored if he could actually shoot well.
?

Nek32:
Always been a fan of his heart and work ethic, but man this dude's shooting percentages are horrible. Scoring 31 points a game at 38% shooting is pathetic, it's statistical evidence that you shoot way too much. A career shooting percentage of 42%....c'mon man. His free throw percentage also sucks horribly, and was absolutely terrible a few season....I wonder how many more points this dude could have scored if he could actually shoot well.
You know how you become a better shooter? Practice. You know how you improve your free throw percentage? Practice. When a pro athlete practiceshard, people say they have good work ethic. Like you said, Iverson shoots a below-average FG% and FT%... yet you say you admire his work ethic.

Color me confused.

Back
Top Bottom