Allen Iverson is retiring...Vol: Lets make it a tribute thread, 1996-2009

Originally Posted by kdawg

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

I always wished he could've become something more. He had the talent and court vision to be one of the best point guards out there, but he never fully developed that part of his game. In the end, he was always primarily a scorer, and at 6' you can't make a career out of that. The fact that he did have a run of a couple years where the Sixers were a legit team is incredible.
And that's what make me sad about this whole thing - he could have been incredible. Like you say, he had all the tools - but he just wanted to score himself. He could have been better than Isaiah. People would have wanted to play in Philly.
Co-sign.

Originally Posted by Riker

^ Love how he staying true to himself not sellin out to some contender team like some do, *coughs SHAQ * ...

AI true to himself, apart from his amazing basketball career, thats another thing I'll always put on his resume.
indifferent.gif
grin.gif

he went out like a bum..

man it's sad to see retire like this... i mean c'mon he is a superstar who all of the has to be relegated to a 6th man position... get outta here, theman still got it... so what if he didn't change his game to fit in the league, he's been this way from the beginning and i respect that...

he's the greatest small guard in the history of the nba, hands down

he deserves better than this... either way he'll be missed and his influence and legacy won't be forgotten by many especially the hip-hop generation

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

It still baffles me that this guy went to GEORGETOWN.

Granted most college athletes academic abilities are not indicative of the universities they represent,

Still.............
laugh.gif
What's that supposed to mean? I know people who went to Georgetown with him and although he did drive around in a Mercedes he always went toclass. Knowing Thompson, if they didn't maintain that GPA, they were not playing. One of the stupidest posts this year in S and T. Dudes stay stereotypingpeople on NT. $$@! is unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

hey, i really want to know why no NBA TEAM want to start A.I.? isn't he still one of the best pointguard in the game as of right now? i dont get it.
really serious?

Originally Posted by DoubleRdipin

hey, i really want to know why no NBA TEAM want to start A.I.? isn't he still one of the best pointguard in the game as of right now? i dont get it.
really serious?

beside his injury, A.I. have been putting more than 24 points a game. wasn't it just 1-2 years ago when he was hitting 30 on the nuggets with melo.

From another A.I. pity-post:

It's hard for me to believe that Iverson supporters could possibly be so ignorant. They seem to be the only ones talking about Iverson's past and present on-court ability. THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE.

HIS ATTITUDE IS THE ISSUE

No one wants to deal with his off-court nonsense these days. Iverson has an alpha-male quality about him. Unfortunately, that quality is mated with one of the poorest attitudes ever seen from such a high level athlete. Everything has to be about him in order for him to feel comfortable. When he feels he's not the center of attention then he makes sure he becomes it and people have grown pretty tired of this fact over the past 14 years. His attiude and presence can be detrimental to a team because some people will inevitably follow his lead (like Melo and JR Smith out to bars). He's a headcase and it's already been proven that the league does not need him in any way, shape, or form to be successful.

As far as the Grizzlies situation goes, I find it hard to believe that it was originally planned for Iverson to come off the bench. But a few smart-%$$ comments trying to upstage the coach can change things. Lack of effort and focus in practice can change things. Missing the entire pre-season can change things as well. I think the injury to Iverson gave Hollins the excuse he needed to end the A.I. expiriment early. Bring him off the bench, limit his minutes, sit back, enjoy the show. People don't want to deal with him anymore. Larry Brown didn't. George Karl didn't (but handled the situation amaziingly well in hindsight). Joe Dumars didn't (and likely got Iverson black-balled). Now the Grizzlies are done with him.

I'm not trying to say that everyone who butts heads with Iverson is 100% right while he is always wrong. But when one refuses to recognize that they are not in a position of power at every moment in their life, I can only extend so much sympathy to them. Is Iverson done for sure right now? I doubt it. He's still a great athlete who can generate revenue and the NBA is still a business. But anyone who thinks he will magically return to his form of a decade ago in terms of league-wide significance is fooling themselves even moreso than Iverson when he proclaimed that "God chose Memphis."

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Granted most college athletes academic abilities are not indicative of the universities they represent,

Still.............
laugh.gif
What's that supposed to mean? I know people who went to Georgetown with him and although he did drive around in a Mercedes he always went to class. Knowing Thompson, if they didn't maintain that GPA, they were not playing. One of the stupidest posts this year in S and T. Dudes stay stereotyping people on NT. $$@! is unbelievable.
and to be fair, he didn't get his mercedes until AFTER he had decided he was gonna bolt following his soph year (ASC in Arlington, I see you
laugh.gif
). Of course he was going to be a 1st round pick, but he had some outstanding medical bills for one of his kids, and that was the main reason he left whenhe did (with Thompson's blessing). Remember, he was the first marquee player under Thompson to NOT stay for four years. School at G'Town was not aproblem for Iverson. He was a B student, and like we've been saying...you're not going to play for John Thompson and embarrass him or the universityif you can't hold your own in the classroom. People were looking for any reason to point the finger at Thompson's kids...mostly because of their skincolor. He (Thompson) STRESSED the importance of a college education, and the kids he recruited took his word as the gospel. They were not going to fall underthat stereotype of being dumb basketball players. John Thompson was a father-figure to these kids, and in-turn, they respected his word and his wishes. Thisis one of the reasons why John Thompson is one of the most respected men to EVER grace the NCAA's.

Cant edit from my phone, but i meant to say it was iverson's younger sister w the outstanding medical bills an not his kids. I dont think him and T hadkids back then

Originally Posted by grittyman20

If Iverson goes to one of the top team in the league (like the Lakers or Boston) I'd lose a lot of respect for him because that's just ring chasing.

Now if he goes to a middle tier team (like Utah, Dallas, or Houston) I'd still have the same amount of respect for him staying true to his word.

I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens...

thats the whole reason he is sitting out, he feels he can still lead a team to a ring, and doesn't want to ring chase like so many other guys.

I don't think he feels he can lead a team to a ring, but I definitely believe he feels like he can be a major contributor.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Still.............
laugh.gif
What's that supposed to mean? I know people who went to Georgetown with him and although he did drive around in a Mercedes he always went to class. Knowing Thompson, if they didn't maintain that GPA, they were not playing. One of the stupidest posts this year in S and T. Dudes stay stereotyping people on NT. $$@! is unbelievable.
and to be fair, he didn't get his mercedes until AFTER he had decided he was gonna bolt following his soph year (ASC in Arlington, I see you
laugh.gif
). Of course he was going to be a 1st round pick, but he had some outstanding medical bills for one of his kids, and that was the main reason he left when he did (with Thompson's blessing). Remember, he was the first marquee player under Thompson to NOT stay for four years. School at G'Town was not a problem for Iverson. He was a B student, and like we've been saying...you're not going to play for John Thompson and embarrass him or the university if you can't hold your own in the classroom. People were looking for any reason to point the finger at Thompson's kids...mostly because of their skin color. He (Thompson) STRESSED the importance of a college education, and the kids he recruited took his word as the gospel. They were not going to fall under that stereotype of being dumb basketball players. John Thompson was a father-figure to these kids, and in-turn, they respected his word and his wishes. This is one of the reasons why John Thompson is one of the most respected men to EVER grace the NCAA's.
- not the first time I've seen that Benz rumor on here, as you said...he got that and was seen on campus with it once he decided he wasleaving.

As far as the original quote, you don't fall in line and do the right things you did not/do not last at G'Town.

Ed Sheffey, Victor Page, Kenny Brunner, Michael Graham, etc...Graham is the best example, would have guaranteed a 2nd national title but he didn't do theclass work and was gone.

Back
Top Bottom