24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

My experian score just went up 109 points :lol:. My only two negative accounts got removed but I don't know if it's a fluke because on creditkarma they still show up on transunion and Equifax. Which site has the most accurate score for all 3? I added an installment loan and the Capone secure card which also boosted me up. It's showing that the best way to make another jump is to add another credit card. Besides cap one or discover it, what's the best bet for someone rebuilding their report?

Last edited:
My experian score just went up 109 points :lol:. My only two negative accounts got removed but I don't know if it's a fluke because on creditkarma they still show up on transunion and Equifax. Which site has the most accurate score for all 3? I added an installment loan and the Capone secure card which also boosted me up. It's showing that the best way to make another jump is to add another credit card. Besides cap one or discover it, what's the best bet for someone rebuilding their report?

Secured loan from a credit union. At this point it's just keeping up on payments and low utilization for you. With the secured loan it adds a different credit mix to your portfolio.

is it really that bad to close credit card accounts?

i have 2 open with BoA, but found out I'm eligible for NavyFed, so would like to use their cards and services

i use one my BoA cash rewards frequently, but never carry a balance, however it is my oldest account...

my FICO is roughly 772 (give or take), so would it be that big of a deal if i just walked away? 

i just want to be done with BoA, but am not sure if my credit score AND history would be adversely effected...

Last edited:

i have 2 open with BoA, but found out I'm eligible for NavyFed, so would like to use their cards and services

i use one my BoA cash rewards frequently, but never carry a balance, however it is my oldest account...

my FICO is roughly 772 (give or take), so would it be that big of a deal if i just walked away? 

i just want to be done with BoA, but am not sure if my credit score AND history would be adversely effected...

AAoA will be hurt along with your credit utilization. You can keep them open and just toss the card in your sock drawer or something.

So after getting denied on October for the Chase Reserve card because of the 5/24 rule, I am going to apply again in January,

I have a 790 credit score, so that's not the problem. I hope they will accept me this go around.

My question is should I apply for the Southwest 50K card same time as the Reserve just in case they deny me again, the problem is Chase finances the Southwest card.

So if I apply to both of them at the same time, will the Underwriting for the Reserve see the Southwest card? I believe so.

Sucks because I've gotten over 250K miles and used them for trips in the past year and a half.

Dont hate the player, hate the game. :smh:

:rolleyes

Yup. Keep it if it's you're oldest card.

I also have a BoA card that I haven't used in years. But I've had it for over 10 years so I'm never closing it.

:smokin

Was really itching to get the CSR but now considering going for a card good for balance transfers.
Anyone have recommendations on that?

Was really itching to get the CSR but now considering going for a card good for balance transfers.
Anyone have recommendations on that?

Chase slate, Bank of America Americard MasterCard, Citi double cash has an 18 month no interest period, Citi simplicity

Per Credit Karma, Equifax has my student loans on there but Transunion does not.

Isn't that odd?
Are they federal or private loans? Fed loans should be reported to both. Private loans would be at the lenders discretion. Pull up you annual credit report to see what is has.

Per Credit Karma, Equifax has my student loans on there but Transunion does not.

Isn't that odd?
Are they federal or private loans? Fed loans should be reported to both. Private loans would be at the lenders discretion. Pull up you annual credit report to see what is has.

They are Federal loans.
Yeah definitely check your annual transunion credit report to see if it's on there. If it is, credit karma isn't pulling from it and you'd want to log an issue with them. If the loan isn't their, best to contact transunion or the loan serviced about it

Isn't that odd?

They are Federal loans.
Yeah definitely check your annual transunion credit report to see if it's on there. If it is, credit karma isn't pulling from it and you'd want to log an issue with them. If the loan isn't their, best to contact transunion or the loan serviced about it

Yeah, I just tried to pull up my Transunion credit report online and they couldn't verify my identity. Gonna have to contact them. My Experian also doesn't have any Federal student loans on there.

I'm not liking this :rolleyes

Finally got that TMobile BS removed from both of my scores and now my Experian and Transunion both been going up 40pts every 2 weeks. After it updates again today, both should be into the 700s. :smokin Was surprised the collector actually did their job and removed it in less than 2 weeks after I just called them and told them it was BS and to put it in dispute status. They keep trying to get me to pay them or pay them 80% and they;d remove it for me.

just paid off a bogus 80 collection fee from tmobile who Is still my current carrier..

name of the collection agency is ERC, me paying this off should  boost my credit score right?

Last edited:
Call ERC and have them dispute it with TMobile. If it doesn't update in 2 weeks, pay it. Actually its just 80 bucks though, yea just knock it out. Mine was $1600

lmao, I paid it already^ got the letter of request of whatever emailed saying I'm done with it.

just trying to get that 700 plus credit score..... is my main objective for 2017, and 1600 thats steep.

Last edited:
I'm ready for this 5% on gas with discover :evil: . Pretty much all I use my card for. Now I can build up that cash back match and stop using my bofa card

I'm ready for this 5% on gas with discover :evil: . Pretty much all I use my card for. Now I can build up that cash back match and stop using my bofa card
Same here. What perks were you getting from bofa to use instead of discover?

Back
Top Bottom