24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Got a bunch of **** removed from my credit report. Just disputed everything and my score went up like 50 points. Tryna get Verizon to take this pay for delete but they're being a-holes so I'm disputing them too. If I can get that dealt with my old discover account will fall off this year and my file will be squeaky clean.

Re: credit cards. I signed up for that cap one secure card. Definitely going for that PayPal card once my score is up. After that it looks like discover it and chase sapphire are the best options for rewards? Is that the consensus in here?

howd you go about getting that stuff off your report?

dealt with the agencies or credit bureau?

I did everything online through the bureaus. I disputed everything with 'no contract. Contract cancelled '. Stuff like DirecTV, sprint and Macy's came off but they were all pretty old. The credit card account expires in like September but they still verified it. I read that about 50% of the time these collectors don't bother to verify so I'm gonna keep trying it.

Last edited:
Question for those of you that have the Amex PRG or may know otherwise...

My bill for my first statement was due 11/25...now my 2nd statement is due by 1/5...why would that date change?  Never seen that happen before.

Just applied for discover IT cause of this thread and my wife has it and likes it.

Only approved for $2k? wtf :smh:

I have 15K with my credit untion. This is why I establish good relationships with banks instead.

Was trying to take advantage of their 14 month 0% APR balance transfer

I feel so low in life right now.

Like, I can't even get a Discover card, really though? :x

Got the rainbow looking card.

Too AYO or nah, the rainbow card?

Last edited:
You got approved why did you say you can't get the card :lol:

Chillll

Prob in a month ask for a line increase and I bet they will give you a decent one if you're credit is as good as you think it is

Lurking this thread and seen buddy who got the BOA increase w/ a SP. Got gassed and did the cli on both of mine, got approved which I didn't doubt, but I got hit w/ a HP notification immediately. :lol:

View media item 2260486
One from 11k to 17.2 and another from 6k to 12.8, cool but wasn't worth the HP, but it's the only one on my report so I'm cool.

With discover wait 91 days before you ask for a cli. Then you can do it every 30 days. Even if you get denied do it every 30 days until 25k. After 25k they start asking for income verification. Not a big deal for some tho.

-Chase reserve or preferred for travel
-American everyday for 1% on every purchase and revolving categories every quarter for 5% back
-discover it for revolving categories, no April for a certain period of time, and they match Cashback after the first year.
-citi double Cashback. 1% when youbuy, 1% when you buy.

Last edited:
Just applied for discover IT cause of this thread and my wife has it and likes it.

I have 15K with my credit untion. This is why I establish good relationships with banks instead.

Maybe discover only gave you 2k cuz they knew you were as loyal as the man in your avy b

Credit Unions are known for giving out huge credit lines. Discover will increase that with very little trouble.

I started out with Discover with a $1,000 limit. After a year I'm now up to $17k. Discover is generous with their CLI's wait 91 days to request your first one then request every 30 days they are all soft pulls unless they ask you if they can do a hard pull

I just hit the Luv button Discover gave me a $1500 increase . Currently at $14,500 started at 5K Nov 2014.

I've only requested maybe 5 increases . Will start requesting monthly .

I started out with Discover with a $1,000 limit. After a year I'm now up to $17k. Discover is generous with their CLI's wait 91 days to request your first one then request every 30 days they are all soft pulls unless they ask you if they can do a hard pull

Thanks man. Sounds legit.

LOL @ the KD comment. Cold :lol:

I guess I have to prove myself with Discover. They gave me a $10.5k starting limit. I'm on month 6 right now. I want it up to about $25k at some point.

I'll add to the discover comments. started at 5500 feb 2014 i believe, now up to 29.5K, never had to provide any tax info or anything either.

Man what are yall planning to do with all that credit. Whatever it is, I want in

Boutta cop da Maserati.

But seriously higher limits=lower utilization so you're free to do more with your cards each month without worrying about your score dropping

I mean I get that part but after a certain point once you have your major purchases out the way and credit is less important, I might be tempted to go stupid with all that doe

Man what are yall planning to do with all that credit. Whatever it is, I want in

Cop dem new Jays :smokin

I have credit just in case of emergencies. If REALLY needed. Its good to have just in case. Cash for everything though. The more available credit you have, the better. Bigger hole you can get yourself into, but you gotta make that judgement for yourself.

Last edited:
I mean I get that part but after a certain point once you have your major purchases out the way and credit is less important, I might be tempted to go stupid with all that doe

I think people in this thread focus too much on CLs. Ain't eem really all that important tbh. Yes it's better to have higher CLs to reduce utilization %, but there's no reason to be upset that Discover denied you it one time.

Back
Top Bottom