2019 All Star Black Infrared Air Jordan 6

Where do you prefer the lace lock?

• Total voters
Gentry gave us bomb retro+. He ****ed up OGs. Gentry’s non OG retros will forever be the best retro+ to me

I almost never eff with retro + so I wasn't talking about that. The original DMP pack is about the only seriously good retro release I remember from back then and about the only thing I bought. It was the last time the damn 11s were really done right. That was the last time they still included the foam padding in the cordura upper. His other retro + stuff may have been the best retro +, but to me that's like saying his dumps didn't smell as bad as some other people's :lol:

I like most versions of retros, but prefer them to be like the originals that I loved as a kid.

With that being said, I wore these today. Although they are not too much like the originals, I really have liked them. Jb better not screw these new ones up!

6083BD34-60EF-4243-82FE-EF4A9A72F58C.jpeg

I almost never eff with retro + so I wasn't talking about that. The original DMP pack is about the only seriously good retro release I remember from back then and about the only thing I bought. It was the last time the damn 11s were really done right. That was the last time they still included the foam padding in the cordura upper. His other retro + stuff may have been the best retro +, but to me that's like saying his dumps didn't smell as bad as some other people's :lol:
I disagree wholeheartedly about your last retro+ comment. Silver 1s, Chrome 2s, Black cat 3, Cool Grey 4, Toro 5, Olive 5, Olympic 6, flint 7, Ice Blue 8 and Peapod 8, Cool Grey 9, CG 11, Nubuck 12, Original altitude 13 and SOOOO many others were examples of how to take a classic silhouette into a new direction and revolutionizing the design. I love OGs, but as someone who cares about dope looking shoes in addition to caring about the classics, Gentry’s retro+ from 1999-2009 were ICONIC and revolutionary designs, and helped push Jordan brand forward from just being memorabilia(only originals). I don’t think that should be undercut.

I disagree wholeheartedly about your last retro+ comment. Silver 1s, Chrome 2s, Black cat 3, Cool Grey 4, Toro 5, Olive 5, Olympic 6, flint 7, Ice Blue 8 and Peapod 8, Cool Grey 9, CG 11, Nubuck 12 and SOOOO many others were examples of how to take a classic silhouette into a new direction and revolutionizing the design. I love OGs, but as someone who cares about dope looking shoes in addition to caring about the classics, Gentry’s retro+ from 1999-2009 were ICONIC and revolutionary designs, and helped push Jordan brand forward. I don’t think that should be undercut

That's just your opinion, which is more than fine. Of all the shoes you mentioned there, the only one I've ever cared to buy and would ever spend a single dollar on is the CG 11. And that's just my opinion. It's all entirely subjective, along with about 95 percent of everything discussed on this forum. There's no sense in arguing about it, as it's not even an argument. Just personal preference. I don't like the majority of product produced during Gentry's mid-2000s reign of terror, and I'm always going to feel that way.
PS: Was he really there from 99-09? Didn't think he started that early but I honestly can't remember whatsoever.

That's just your opinion, which is more than fine. Of all the shoes you mentioned there, the only one I've ever cared to buy and would ever spend a single dollar on is the CG 11. And that's just my opinion. It's all entirely subjective, along with about 95 percent of everything discussed on this forum. There's no sense in arguing about it, as it's not even an argument. Just personal preference. I don't like the majority of product produced during Gentry's mid-2000s reign of terror, and I'm always going to feel that way.
PS: Was he really there from 99-09? Didn't think he started that early but I honestly can't remember whatsoever.
I saw this as more of an exchange of viewpoints not an argument. But yes, in the infamous video of him discussing why Nike Air wouldn’t come back, he was discussing working on the original Air Jordan 11. He was with Jordan Brand from the start

JB collectively decided to go with new colorways trying to appeal to the next generation of buyers at that time. I say JB cause I still think everyone gives Gent way too much credit. It wasnt just he that thought up all these colors and schemes during that "era". Did it work for the brand? Yeah I think so. The strategy was real simple, shelf the og s and let the new styles appeal to kids, while knowing all along the ogs would always be the ace in the hole. My biggest beef about that time was the rare releases of the colorways MJ wore. I never had a problem with the retro+ concept. CG XI was huge at that time. Did I like em? Not really. I wanted originals. But I get why people do. The gimmick Flu games in 09 may be my personal most hated release. As far as new colors of old models, they were nice for sure. They just didnt appeal to me.

I saw this as more of an exchange of viewpoints not an argument. But yes, in the infamous video of him discussing why Nike Air wouldn’t come back, he was discussing working on the original Air Jordan 11. He was with Jordan Brand from the start
Your saying he was with JB making decisions in 1997?

Your saying he was with JB making decisions in 1997?

He was with Jb when it began, but the way he’s talking here, he was with Nike working in the Jordan subdivision even before Jordan Brand became a thing. I’m not sure when he started exactly, but if he said he was apart of the team beind marketing the Jordan 11, he was with them as early as 1994/1995

I think his issue was that he was pandering to his collector friends instead of actual OG Head consumers(I believe JB does this now with the remastered releases). He got WAY too protective of OGs, which is why he dropped the AF-1 fusion collection, 6 rings, as well as other shoes that only “looked like” the originals. His retro+ Stuff was great IMO, and def keep people like me who started in 2006 interested in the brand, but the brand kept cutting corners with the materials, and he began trolling consumers. Although the varsity red is now beloved, I think dropping those, and announcing the Infrared pack right after was a troll job. Same goes for no 3m 13s, dim 3m 5s, 1s with jumpmans in places with no branding, etc.

Last edited:

Damn, props to you. I felt like I had to get every Jordan retro 2006 and below

Midnight 1s, Black/gold Pl 1, japan exclusive 1
Chrome 2
Mocha 3
Both laser, tour 4s
White metallic, Carolina, sunsets,laser, 5
Chrome, midnight, Olympic, low caro 6
Chambray, flints, citrus, French blue, 7
Chrome 8, both low top 8
Cg 9, flint 9
Ice blue, linen, white/red, violets 10
Cg 11

Damnit that doesn’t even include the Og retro colorways. Jordan brand had my money back then. Anything after 2007 the retro colorways suck. We get some good colorways now but the passion I had is no longer the same

He was with Jb when it began, but the way he’s talking here, he was with Nike working in the Jordan subdivision even before Jordan Brand became a thing. I’m not sure when he started exactly, but if he said he was apart of the team beind marketing the Jordan 11, he was with them as early as 1994/1995

I view it as when he says "we" he simply speaking of the team. In the late 90s when they revamped the retro line is when he came with JB.

I view it as when he says "we" he simply speaking of the team. It was late 90s when they revamped the retro line is when he came with JB.
I just checked a solecolleector i have, and he’s talking about how his team almost using patent leather on the 9s. He’s been with Nike working on Jordans for a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
"we" If he is representing the brand in an interview, he is going to say "we". I have all those SC mags also. But I really dont think Gent was a part of those designs.

Totally, and I wasn't coming at you. I'm just not a fan of the guy and most of what he did when he was last at the helm. Overly limited shoes, loads of what I found to be ugly, silly colorways while keeping the OG stuff locked away much more than it's been recently, and most of all, a decline in quality that in some cases reached laughable lows. Basically I felt like this guy, despite all his rhetoric about respecting OG collectors, actually waved his middle finger at those of us who had been buying Jordans since long before his arrival. With him in charge, I literally stopped buying Jordans for a good six years or more.

I took a break from 2011 to 2015. The 2000 Infrared was the last shoe I bought then. I backed out because I needed to focus on undergrad, and the 2011 retro 7s and retro 3s after the WC were repulsive to me having been used to the 2006-2009 7s. Materials got thinner, padding disappeared, cardboard leather, and the 7s got this weird shape. The shiny leather 3s was too much to compromise being used to earlier 3s. Also, the 2011 concord chaos and murders helped me stay away.

Reason I got back into Jays in 2015 was to claim my grails since they were releasing again and were being remastered. If the Bordeaux 7 and Aqua 8 weren’t returning, followed by the WC 4 and Metallic 5, I probably would have stayed away. Def don’t feel the love in most non og designs anymore outside of the 8s.

Last edited:
I had a 6 year stretch as well lol. Stopped coppin new J's after the DMP 1's pack in '09. Then started getting back into J's when they started remastering in 2015. Was buying more Nike retros and LeBron's in between those times

6 years? I didn’t buy new models for like a 8 year stretch. It was all eBay

Ha actually yeah, probably longer with some rare exceptions. Let’s see, I bought the first DMP in 06. The metallic 5s from around that time. Sadly the military 4s that were one of the worst shoes I’ve ever seen. (Those were about the last straw.) The black toe 14s. And the 2011 concords. Didn’t buy a single Jordan again till 2015-16, and recently, when they improved a lot of shoes and then pulled the opposite of Gentry and released loads of OG classics I wanted back for years: cement 4s, Space Jams, Indiglo 14s, white/black 9s, royal 16s, low playoff 12s and several low 11s, black toe 13s. Oh, right, I also got concord and black/red 11 lows in there after they came out via ebay.

I guess this illustrates my own original point: put out garbage, I don’t buy. Put out good OG stuff and I bought it left and right. 33s on deck LOL

I think his issue was that he was pandering to his collector friends instead of actual OG Head consumers(I believe JB does this now with the remastered releases). He got WAY too protective of OGs, which is why he dropped the AF-1 fusion collection, 6 rings, as well as other shoes that only “looked like” the originals. His retro+ Stuff was great IMO, and def keep people like me who started in 2006 interested in the brand, but the brand kept cutting corners with the materials, and he began trolling consumers. Although the varsity red is now beloved, I think dropping those, and announcing the Infrared pack right after was a troll job. Same goes for no 3m 13s, dim 3m 5s, 1s with jumpmans in places with no branding, etc.

:lol: did you save that vid from my post???

The Jimmy Butler 6s up til now have been UA. I think the Tinker 6 is a better judge of the upcoming shape. The Tinker shape IMO, is better than 2014 so that’s a W.
E96DD7CE-E02E-42B7-BEDA-80CF7F42A576.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom