2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
REPORT: Isaiah Thomas has been ruled out for the playoffs. Vegas has adjusted the Cavs' odds of winning the series from 100% to 100%.

So Isaiah Thomas this round, Kyle Lowry last round, the Cavaliers are lucky these players were injured. That's how it works right? 

Parity is one thing, competition is another. You can be a basketball fan and not be happy with the level of competition and still understand that parity could be overrated. Good basketball is assumed in the playoffs, so that's why people really watch beyond the first round, but regardless how great I feel the NBA was the past few seasons, this postseason is horrid and it reverts to about 5 years ago when I felt the game left way more to be desired. Off year, sure, that happens. This postseason sucks. Cavs/Warriors trilogy will be phenomenal though. Not sure that changes the overall picture.

Idk man I think it changes the overall picture. There is good basketball being played. The Warriors and Cavs have been playing basketball as good as the league has ever seen. So much so that no one can compete. I think just because these teams cant compete doesnt mean there isn't a ton of room to appreciate the good basketball being played despite it being a blow out. When the Cavs were up 30 i wasn't bored, I was still saying wow. And the fact they're on a crash course to run into each other is as tense as it gets. Im looking at it like a great appetizer. But thats just my opinion i guess. Idk if this addresses what you said I wasn't entirely sure what you meant.

Last edited:
I see Cavs vs Warriors being the finals matchup for the next three years.

Klay and Green are the only Warriors players signed throughout the next 3 seasons. Depending on what happens this year this team could look totally different next year.

Parity is one thing, competition is another. You can be a basketball fan and not be happy with the level of competition and still understand that parity could be overrated. Good basketball is assumed in the playoffs, so that's why people really watch beyond the first round, but regardless how great I feel the NBA was the past few seasons, this postseason is horrid and it reverts to about 5 years ago when I felt the game left way more to be desired. Off year, sure, that happens. This postseason sucks. Cavs/Warriors trilogy will be phenomenal though. Not sure that changes the overall picture.

Idk man I think it changes the overall picture. There is good basketball being played. The Warriors and Cavs have been playing basketball as good as the league has ever seen. So much so that no one can compete.

This is what I mean. If only two teams in the postseason are really the ones playing good/great basketball, there's no competition. I think that's a reflection of today's NBA; Extremely top-heavy. As I said, the Finals should be phenomenal, but the way you're able to essentially create your own teams is killing me and it's killing the competition up to the Finals. That's not fun.

don't get me wrong, those Kings/LAL and Portland/LAL playoffs series were compelling as hell but that was the only "resistance" those lakers teams faced in the playoffs. Coming out the east, who'd they face? Nets, Sixers, and Pacers? Those Finals' series were all jokes, didn't they go like 12-3 or 12-4 in those three match-ups combined, including a sweep in one of them? I could be wrong. nevertheless, the eastern conference playoffs those years were absolutely unexciting. it was just watching for whomever would lose to the lakers.

While the warriors and cavs are cruising thru the playoffs, at least we know the finals will be entertaining
The Finals last year was trash too though outside of Game 7. 

definitely agree with the entirety of this. then again, i assume that it's easy for me to feel this way as a warriors' fan.

as a fan of basketball, even during those dominant lakers' runs i didn't find it boring based on the fact that watching kobe was nothing short of amazing. idc if the games are blowouts, im equally in awe watching steph, kd, and bron take over games.

I think the fans who arent too busy hating everything feel this way. If you're just a fan of basketball and/or good basketball this is way too cool. You just have more more at stake.

Question though, I hear a lot of extreme hot takes about what's going to happen from people who hate/love LeBron, or KD for that matter. But cant recall what people who are actually fans of the warriors think. I think Cavs fans know how to feel going into this. You seem pretty rational. Given that you have more at stake emotionally being a Warriors fan what are you expecting and how worried are you of what LeBron is doing right now?

we've all seen what bron is capable of doing in the finals year in and year out. his level of play in last year's finals is no different from his current post season run. he is dominating at every facet of the game: facilitating, scoring, crashing the boards, defense. i have never disliked bron's game besides his consistent acting for fouls (but then again, who's team doesn't have a player like this?). however, how worried am I about it as a dubs' fan? lebron will likely get 35/10/10 on 42 minutes a game, i think we can all expect that. i'm more concerned about klay thompson finding his stroke by the time the finals' start. (i'm not lying about this)

if you think back to last year's finals, it took an extremely high level of play from bron and kyrie and catastrophic collapse by the warriors for cavs to win it all. i expect bron and kyrie will continue that play this year, but KD being one of the greatest scorers in history is probably the best insurance policy to avoid a cold streak like the bucket-less 5 minutes the warriors had in game 7.

REPORT: Isaiah Thomas has been ruled out for the playoffs. Vegas has adjusted the Cavs' odds of winning the series from 100% to 100%.

:lol: this is cold as hell

I need to see Steph do this in the finals. He needs that finals mvp.
he will never get one playing with kd

if the playoffs ended today and dubs were champs, steph wins MVP. dude has been the catalyst for this squad even with a healthy KD. nevertheless, at the end of the day, i couldn't care less about who wins finals mvp, hell, that slowfooted, running in quick sand *** james michael mcadoo could win it. i'd just be happy to see this squad hoisting up another larry o'brian

Last edited:
If last year's Finals was trash then idk what you're looking for in basketball at this point
6 of the 7 games decided by double digits. Two 30 point blowouts, that's not good or compelling basketball. Game 4 had a little bit of drama but other than that it was very poor. Game 7 was a classic but that doesn't make up for an overally **** series. 

Last edited:
If last year's Finals was trash then idk what you're looking for in basketball at this point

I guess they want every game to come down to a last second shot. As a society it seems we aren't satisfied with anything anymore. The overall story written in last years finals was amazing.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want to watch a movie were the underdog has the final position with a couple seconds left on the clock and hit the game winning shot as the buzzer goes off to win the game... FOH

6 of the 7 games decided by double digits. Two 30 point blowouts, that's not good or compelling basketball. Game 4 had a little bit of drama but other than that it was very poor. Game 7 was a classic but that doesn't make up for an overally **** series. 
agreed.... People can't tell thr difference between a great game and a great finish. Two completely different things
. Most of the games were blowouts. How is that great... Best finish in a finals I've seen tho.

Last edited:
Guess im the only one that enjoys watching blowouts (unless its my team getting blownout)

I guess they want every game to come down to a last second shot. As a society it seems we aren't satisfied with anything anymore. The overall story written in last years finals was amazing.

between the collapses of the warriors, the cleveland "indians" :smile:rolleyes), and atlanta falcons, professional sports in 2016 was just shocking and stunning in general. like how the hell did all these things happen in one season?

agreed.... People can't tell thr difference between a great game and a great finish. Two completely different things
. Most of the games were blowouts. How is that great... Best finish in a finals I've seen tho.

:wow:

it still hurts

So were the 2013 and 14 Finals also trash? Cause that happened there too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom