2016 Official NBA Off-Season Thread: Former Greatness

Also, last time the West had a lot more depth than they do now. They had 45 wins which I expect them to get again this year which would place them in the playoffs pretty safely.

They had 45 wins in a year when wins were up across the board, which still led them to missing the playoffs due to a tiebreaker.

I would expect a similar scenario this year (with a slightly better roster around him), which leads me to believe a 6th, 7th or 8th seed is the likelhood.

These are the assumptions I'm getting --

- Utah is not expected to get better
- Portland will have a sharp decline after returning their entire team basically and adding another piece
- Dallas is invisible, even though they have 2 of the 5 starters from the Warriors and the 2nd best coach in the West
- no improvement from Memphis despite who they added and they will automatically battle through a long year of injuries

- then you have OKC, which Westbrook is expected to play 80+ games (because they're bound to lose any games he miss); 2nd best player is a guy that everyone loves due to his persona and stache and if he was the 2nd best player on any other team, they'll be lottery bound. then, their 3rd best player (if you want to say its Oladipo) fell out of the starting lineup at times with a lottery bound team last season, who's still finding himself -- 3rd best player B (Kanter) is really only beneficial in stretches and is better suited playing no more than 30 minutes a night

All of these teams have issues (including LAC and SAS), but there is A TON of confidence in Westbrook literally doing it all for this team and doing it without missing any games. This is also factoring in KD not coming in during the season and helping them win 15-20 games they won from the 45 win season.

I'm ready for the season to see all this happen :lol:

Last edited:
I like that westbrook resigned and I like all the praise that he is getting but it makes him easier to trade now since he is locked up for a few years now

They had 45 wins in a year when wins were up across the board, which still led them to missing the playoffs due to a tiebreaker.

I would expect a similar scenario this year (with a slightly better roster around him), which leads me to believe a 6th, 7th or 8th seed is the likelhood.

These are the assumptions I'm getting --

- Utah is not expected to get better
- Portland will have a sharp decline after returning their entire team basically and adding another piece
- Dallas is invisible, even though they have 2 of the 5 starters from the Warriors and the 2nd best coach in the West
- no improvement from Memphis despite who they added and they will automatically battle through a long year of injuries

- then you have OKC, which Westbrook is expected to play 80+ games (because they're bound to lose any games he miss); 2nd best player is a guy that everyone loves and if he was the 2nd best player on any other team, they'll be lottery bound. then, their 3rd best player (if you want to say its Oladipo) fell out of the starting lineup at times with a lottery bound team last season, who's still finding himself.

All of these teams have issues (including LAC and SAS), but there is A TON of confidence in Westbrook literally doing it all for this team and doing it without missing any games. This is also factoring in KD not coming in during the season and helping them win 15-20 games they won from the 45 win season.

I'm ready for the season to see all this happen
laugh.gif
Russ missed 15 games that year

Serge missed 23 games 

They'll make the playoffs, I'm just not sure if I trust anyone on that team not named Russ or Adams.

Starting Oladipo next to Russ is a bad fit. Oladipo cannot shoot and needs the ball in his hands to remain effective. Kanter is still a huge defensive liability on the court. You can argue that no one else on their team can be considered starters on other playoff teams outside of Russ and Adams. :lol:

Russ will definitely put on a show, but I don't see them beating a lot of the West playoff teams next year during the season. Just not enough firepower unless someone unexpectedly take a leap.

I'd almost love to have a wager with you between OKC and Memphis, but its tough to do with injuries.

I'm interested in something though.

Russ missed 15 games that year
Serge missed 23 games 

We not going to factor Ibaka missing games because he's not even on the team anymore. Without KD, they were 27-28.

20-18 with Russ and without KD? If that's correct

Not to mention how bad OKC was against teams with records .500 or better during those games (w/ Russ and w/o KD). Fair assumption, but KD was much better without Russ than Russ was without KD. This is coming from a guy who really doesn't like Durant and loves Russ. Just being real and I think people are more in awe about how great Russell's statistical numbers look in games and forgetting about the team in itself.

Sure, Russ is a better player than he was 2 seasons ago. But, let's not act like all of these other guys are about to eat and do much better next to a player who doesn't necessarily make his teammates great. That's something I simply don't agree with. This is not Lebron James and the OKC Thunder. :lol: . Maybe if we were talking about Lebron, I'll give OKC the edge over most teams in the West not named GSW and SAS. But, Westbrook simply is not the kinda player that's going to make guys like Dipo, Kanter and whoever else ya'll hyping up much better. Their production may increase due to the simple fact KD isn't there anymore but let's not kid ourselves.

Last edited:
We not going to factor Ibaka missing games because he's not even on the team anymore. Without KD, they were 27-28.

20-18 with Russ and without KD? If that's correct

Not to mention how bad OKC was against teams with records .500 or better during those games (w/ Russ and w/o KD). Fair assumption, but KD was much better without Russ than Russ was without KD. This is coming from a guy who really doesn't like Durant and loves Russ. Just being real and I think people are more in awe about how great Russell's statistical numbers look in games and forgetting about the team in itself.
I'm too lazy to count the game logs but I know the team was 3-12 without both russ and kd. Russ broke his hand in the 1st half of the 2nd game of the season vs the clips.

The team is more talented now. Russ also now has more experience playing without KD and Russ has improved. They will get the 4th or 5th seed

We'll see.

I'm definitely ready to see those 40/50 point games from Russ and squeaking out a 2 point win :lol: . My questions are mainly in regards to 1) how healthy he can be during a full season as the only guy while going that hard for 35+ minutes; and 2) the liklehood of his supporting cast becoming good enough to make them a 4th/5th seed.

I'm not confident in seeing whatever they have on the floor without Westbrook when he's getting rest or potentially injured in a few games. I just don't see his supporting cast being that good.

Last edited:
there is absolutely no pressure on russ to have a winning team, this is the ultimate win-win

if okc feasts, he'll get almost all the credit
if okc goes thru famine, the world will blame the lack of talent surrounding him

James Harden from 2 seasons ago carried his team to a 2 seed and the talent wasn't that much better than this OKC team. (Tons of injuries) Lots of glaring flaws but I think Russ and Adams can make up for a lot of it. Wouldn't surprise me if they're a 4-6 seed.

really feels like Russ is hedging his bets here. They win 45, another max player will be intrigued with their situation and hop on board.

Win 35 games, Russ can leave and pick a better team.

It's difficult to use Harden's team as an example when Dwight still played 41 games and I think Ariza was a better role player than everyone else on OKC outside of Adams potentially.

It's just like people using OKC's 45 wins 2 seasons ago as to why Russ can carry them to a top 5 seed.

This is a much worse case scenario because there is no room for injuries on that team nor do they have a 2nd elite player to even play half of the games like those precious two teams had.

Last edited:
I'm much higher on Kanter than some I guess. I think he's going to be an animal this year, even with his defensive deficiencies.

i think ilyasova gets moved at some point, there are 5 other people who can play the 4 spot for the thunder: kanter, Roberson, sabonis, mcgary and huetis

the thunder have the following players 24 or younger (and yet people are jumping to conclusions on them and the team):

24: kanter, dipo, Roberson, mcgary and huestis

23: adams and abrines

21: payne

20: sabonis

It's difficult to use Harden's team as an example when Dwight still played 41 games and I think Ariza was a better role player than everyone else on OKC outside of Adams potentially.

It's just like people using OKC's 45 wins 2 seasons ago as to why Russ can carry them to a top 5 seed.

This is a much worse case scenario because there is no room for injuries on that team nor do they have a 2nd elite player to even play half of the games like those precious two teams had.

You don't see it cause you're really really low on Adams.

How many 3s did that houston team take and make? Yeah. Flourish by the 3, lose a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals by the 3.

i think ilyasova gets moved at some point, there are 5 other people who can play the 4 spot for the thunder: kanter, Roberson, sabonis, mcgary and huetis

the thunder have the following players 24 or younger (and yet people are jumping to conclusions on them and the team):

24: kanter, dipo, Roberson, mcgary and huestis

23: adams and abrines

21: payne

20: sabonis

Age doesn't matter when we are discussing next season. This is not a long term outlook. If we were talking long term, then maybe OKC would be in a better position if their younger guys continue to get better. The very reason why you mentioned their age is the same reason why I don't think they're just going to come in ready to be a top 5 team in the West :lol:

You don't see it cause you're really really low on Adams.
which is funny considering the primary reason the thunder beat the grizz last time in the playoffs
16 and 10 easy. Assuming he's moved to the starting lineup with Adams.
i think they should spot start at the 4.. assuming abrines can be somewhat close to player that he was for Barcelona, I'd lock in russ-dipo-abrines and adams

then if the team is smaller go with Roberson.. team is bigger then go with kanter, who still gets heavy mins

Back
Top Bottom