2014 NBA Off-Season; Paul George suffers a double-compund-fracture, likely out for season. Speedy re

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought a players prime was like 27-28

so penny & t mac were never in their prime?

prime is when you're at the top of you're game, it doesnt have to do with age,
people say prime is 27-28 because thats when jordan won his first title, but jordan been in his prime since 87

peak is when you're at the top of your game but you reached your ceiling, (jordan93-98,shaq-00-04,kobe 09-now, bron,melo now)

Last edited:
Anyone in the top 5 in scoring is essentially a ball stopper. It's not just melo

Which is essentially my point. From watching a lot of Melo over the past two years, that's what I've concluded as well. He uses the ball in the same manner as a KD, Lebron, etc. They all "ball stop." When I watch melo, i see a star player with a high usage rate. An elite scorer is going to look to score when he has the ball. Relative to his status on NY, Melo moved the ball along pretty well.

i thought a players prime was like 27-28
So t mac & penny never had a prime? Prime is when you're at the top of your game not what age you are, peak is when you have no more room for improvement but you're still a consistent playerQuote:

prime is when you're at the top of you're game, it doesnt have to do with age,
people say prime is 27-28 because thats when jordan won his first title, but jordan been in his prime since 87

peak is when you're at the top of your game but you reached your ceiling, (jordan93-98,shaq-00-04,kobe 09-now, bron,melo now)
youre not understanding me

im not saying it necessarily has to do with age, its a maturity/mental thing

like right now, id say RW is at his peak physically, i dont think he'll get any stronger/faster in his career than he is now

but when he reaches his prime, he will be a smarter bball player

what youre saying is jordan was in his prime his entire career?

edit: and penny/tmac never got to reach their prime due to injury

and mike was peaking for 5 years?

Last edited:

youre not understanding me

im not saying it necessarily has to do with age, its a maturity/mental thing

like right now, id say RW is at his peak physically, i dont think he'll get any stronger/faster in his career than he is now

but when he reaches his prime, he will be a smarter bball player

what youre saying is jordan was in his prime his entire career?
im talking peak & prime as a overall player, russ is in his prime now but his peak would be when/if he puts it all together,

not many players reach their peak, peak imo is being a top player after 8-10 yrs of already being in the league

Anyone in the top 5 in scoring is essentially a ball stopper. It's not just melo

no they don't.

TOP 10 BLACK HOLES IN THE NBA PER SPORTS VU DATA.

Lowest rate of passes per shot attempt (minimum 250 minutes and 10 shots per game; stats through Tuesday's games)
Player Team Passes Shots Black Hole Rate
Klay Thompson GSW 19.9 15.3 1.30
Eric Gordon NO 20.2 12.9 1.56
Nick Young LAL 16.9 10.7 1.58
Marcus Thornton SAC 17.2 10.6 1.63
Rudy Gay TOR 33.5 20.3 1.65
DeMar DeRozan TOR 33.2 19.3 1.72
J.J. Redick LAC 21.2 12.1 1.76
Kevin Martin MIN 30.9 17.5 1.77
Carmelo Anthony NYK 39.8 22.2 1.79
Dion Waiters CLE 23.1 12.4 1.86

He holds the ball longer, and passes less thaan KD and Lebron, he is a ball stopper people aren't making this up.

Last edited:
ok i see what yall are saying

the peak is the absolute best a player can play (mentally and physically, overall)

their prime is just for how long they play well for, so a rookie that comes in and plays 10 years w 25 ppg will be in his prime for those 10 yrs until he drops below 25

alternatively, a player who comes in avg 3 ppg for his first three and then avg 15 over the next 7 will be in his prime for 7 years?

is dat right?

No being in your prime has much to do with age and maturity aswell

:lol: @ mj being in his prime in 87

the aging curves of nba players are pretty consistent.

25 26 27 28

These age's generally represent the sweet spot of physical peak and skill and experience and are almost always the best years of a players career.

This next melo contract will be primarily in the decline phase of his career, same with Lebron.

Last edited:
I say 24-29 would be most players' primes, 27 usually being a player's peak.

I would say that is a little too young to be in your prime unless we talking about being in prime athletic and physical condition wise

Last edited:

ok i see what yall are saying

the peak is the absolute best a player can play (mentally and physically, overall)

their prime is just for how long they play well for, so a rookie that comes in and plays 10 years w 25 ppg will be in his prime for those 10 yrs until he drops below 25

alternatively, a player who comes in avg 3 ppg for his first three and then avg 15 over the next 7 will be in his prime for 7 years?

is dat right?
who said anything about numbers,

you cant put up avg numbers and be in your prime just because you improved,

your prime is after a few years under your belt, how can a rookie be in his prime if he has no nba experience just because he avg 20+

to have a prime you have to be a top player, to reach your peak you have to be a top player for 8-10+ yrs imo

theirs alot of players thats 27-28, i woudnt say they're in the prime of their careers because of that

laugh.gif
@ mj being in his prime in 87
jordan wasnt the best player in the league in 87?

the aging curves of nba players are pretty consistent.

25 26 27 28

These age's generally represent the sweet spot of physical peak and skill and experience and are almost always the best years of a players career.
I would say that is a little too young to be in your prime unless we talking about being in prime athletic and physical condition wise

who said anything about numbers,

you cant put up avg numbers and be in your prime just because you improved,

your prime is after a few years under your belt, how can a rookie be in his prime if he has no nba experience just because he avg 20+

to have a prime you have to be a top player, to reach your peak you have to be a top player for 8-10+ yrs imo

theirs alot of players thats 27-28, i woudnt say they're in the prime of their careers because of that

laugh.gif
@ mj being in his prime in 87
jordan wasnt the best player in the league in 87?
so which is it? was he in his prime in 87 or peaked in 87?

and scrubs dont have primes and peaks?

Last edited:

so which is it? was he in his prime in 87 or peaked in 87?

and scrubs dont have primes and peaks?
jordans prime started in 87, how can a consistent scrub have a prime, so eddy currys prime was 06?, when was his peak?

when was tyson chandlers prime & when was his peak?

when was eric snows prime?

when was yi jianling prime?

is kevin love not in his prime yet or he needs 2 more yrs to hit his prime?

was d rose not in his prime because he was 22 in 2011?

AGE CHANGE EXPECTED PERFORMANCE CHANGE FROM PREVIOUS SEASON
23 to 24 +2%
24 to 25 no change
25 to 26 -2%
26 to 27 -4%
27 to 28 -6%
28 to 29 -9%
29 to 30 -11%
30 to 31 -17%
31 to 32 -22%
32 to 33 -35%
33 to 34 -57%
34 to 35 -146%

here's the distribution of peak seasons by age:
Age Pct
23 5.7%
24 11.5%
25 16.1%
26 19.3%
27 12.0%
28 9.9%
29 7.3%
30 7.3%
31 3.6%
32 5.7%
33 0.5%
34 1.0%

guys genereally peak at 24-25-26-27-28, serious decline starts at 29, outliers exist but this is the average.

Last edited:
Everyone has a peak/prime
Pretty much doesn't matter how good or bad the player is either. 

A players Peak is when they have maxed out all of their physical potential.

A players prime is the time frame when they put their physical peak and mental maturity together culminating in their best level of play for a period of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom