2014 NBA Draft Thread

That "true PG" comment is the stupidest **** I've heard.
If Tony Parker is not a "true pg" then that's some term you made up with your own personal definition.
And who the hell cares if Kidd was past prime or Rondo wasn't a factor(in your opinion of course)
You said name a team with a true PG, he named 3 recently and now he's wrong because you said so...

GET that mess out of here man

Two-fold question. Are you guys sold Wiggins is the clear-cut best prospect over Parker, Embiid, and Exum? Also, there's an element or question whether Ender is the best fit for Philly. We need reliable jump shooting from outside, and that's one area labeled a flaw against Wiggins. College teams were daring him to shoot deep at Kansas.

I've been convinced he's the best in this draft; that is he an "alpha dog" non sense means nothing to me

I think you build around Wiggins and he's gonna be an all world defender on top of his offensive game

I really think he can be a legitimate superstar who can do it all in time

I've been convinced he's the best in this draft; that is he an "alpha dog" non sense means nothing to me

I think you build around Wiggins and he's gonna be an all world defender on top of his offensive game

I really think he can be a legitimate superstar who can do it all in time
The alpha dog knock worries me because of the proximity and relevance to McLemore. Not comparing the two, just saying hunger, passion, drive all matter. Perhaps it can't be taught or learned.

TP isn't a true PG though. Much more of a scorer than passer.
Came in here just to see whatsup and this is the first thing I see.

roll.gif
roll.gif

Peace out.

TP isn't a true PG though. Much more of a scorer than passer.

That has nothing to do with being a True PG, at all. Because a guy can score then he's not a PG? Lol, you guys. I'm going to let this one go, not worth it

Last edited:
Well, some people say "true PG" and they mean "pass first PG." Considering those 8-10 APG type PGs aren't winning rings, I don't think they're necessary to win. This discussion means nothing without "true PG" being defined.

Because honestly, the only real definition of PG to me is the ability to decently run an offense (no not getting assists, just getting the offense started) and more importantly, being able to defend smaller guards. Most teams have guys that dominate the ball from other positions. Having a classic PG that has the ball in his hands 80% of the time isn't really that useful.

The alpha dog knock worries me because of the proximity and relevance to McLemore. Not comparing the two, just saying hunger, passion, drive all matter. Perhaps it can't be taught or learned.

If he had a bad work ethic id be concerned but he doesn't so I think that can come with confidence

“I thought that Jason Kidd being there, being the mentally tough person that he is and with his skills, would be the greatest education for Tony Parker,” Popovich said. “And Tony can go play the 2; he was a scoring guard, anyway. As Jason gets older, let him move over to the 2; let Tony take 1. Brilliant, brilliant. Let’s go get this thing done.”
Link

*Shrug*

I learned two pretty eye-opening things about Wiggins from the podcast that I posted yesterday.

At some point in the season, he had only dunked 16 of 83 attempts at the rim. Stauskas had a higher percentage of dunks than him.

And there wasn't a specific number given on this, but on a similar note, I guess he fared surprisingly poorly in the Synergy category "finishes at the rim, non-post up."

If he struggled to finish in college, where he is a better athlete than probably every single person he played against, and shooting is already a concern, is his offensive upside really anywhere near what people think?

Last edited:
If he had a bad work ethic id be concerned but he doesn't so I think that can come with confidence
Hope you're right. There seems to be no in-between with Wiggins. Hate-or-love type prospect in terms of projecting his future ceiling and growth.

Me personally I'm going with the known product MCW is big time. He needs a shooter or legit scorer with him. I'm not going with a kid who play the same postion as him unless it's Lebron, Kobe, Jordan type talent. It's just silly.

Last edited:
Lol. So. Let's just let this one go and hope nobody else quotes or responds. Still shocked of hearing that though, but not really

I learned two pretty eye-opening things about Wiggins from the podcast that I posted yesterday.

At some point in the season, he had only dunked 16 of 83 attempts at the rim. Stauskas had a higher percentage of dunks than him.

And there wasn't a specific number given on this, but on a similar note, I guess he fared surprisingly poorly in the Synergy category "finishes at the rim, non-post up."

If he struggled to finish in college, where he is a better athlete than probably every single person he played against, and shooting is already a concern, is his offensive upside really anywhere near what people think?

He wont be playing a mario chalmers role while having a 7 footer clog up the paint in the NBA.

Hope you're right. There seems to be no in-between with Wiggins. Hate-or-love type prospect in terms of projecting his future ceiling and growth.

I'm rolling with the former on that one. I just don't think he has IT.

But then again, can we stop hyping him and forecasting him to be elite? Just setting him up for failure. Let that man just fall into place and be a 2nd or 3rd option on offense and an above average defender for his career.

At some point in the season, he had only dunked 16 of 83 shots at the rim. Stauskas had a higher percentage of dunks than him.

And there wasn't a specific number given on this, but on a similar note, I guess he was fared surprisingly poorly in the Synergy category "finishes at the rim, non-post up."

That's definitely one of the concerns about him but IMO, he struggled to finish/dunk for potentially correctable reasons.

1. He's much more comfortable as a 2-foot leaper right now. He can correct this but it's currently a problem. When he jumped off one foot in college, he looked like a pretty good athlete not a WOW athlete.

2. He's weak. It's tough to finish inside if any sort of contact completely knocks you off balance. He can get stronger.

3. He would often jump from too far, look for the foul when he should be taking it strong, attack the rim without control basically. Stupid things that he can get better at with more awareness and experience.

The plus side is that he got to the rim and FT line a lot. But he needs to get stronger and he needs to learn how to properly finish in traffic. This isn't an easy skill to learn especially since like you said, he was playing against weaker athletes. How's he going to fair when he's trying to finish around Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol or Roy Hibbert? Weak stuff doesn't get it done in the NBA.

Wiggins is a guy being drafted for how good he COULD be, not for how good he was in college. Cause right now, the kid has an inconsistent jump shot, shaky handles and has trouble finishing inside. Obviously a star wing player needs 2-3 of those skills to be great. The potential is still there though.

I'm rolling with the former on that one. I just don't think he has IT.

But then again, can we stop hyping him and forecasting him to be elite? Just setting him up for failure. Let that man just fall into place and be a 2nd or 3rd option on offense and an above average defender for his career.
Wiggins is always going to carry the burden of high school and collegiate hype. A second or third option and above-average defender should not go first overall in any class. Players are judged ultimately by their placement in the draft.

Wiggins game is better suited for the NBA than that Kansas team
Bill Self definitely does not engineer the best offensive sets to maximize the athletic talent on his roster.

Arron Aflalo, the 5th and 12th pick for the first pick in a draft you weren't even supposed to be in...the Cavs are either waiting for the draft or even more inept than we realized.

Back
Top Bottom