2014 NBA Draft Thread

We like to look at a player's weakness and define a player by that weakness. This doesn't go for Anderson, but any prospect.

When you look at the NBA today, you have so many players making a name for themselves not because of their defense. James Harden just made All-NBA 1st team this year and he's one of the worst perimeter defenders at his position. Kyrie Irving will probably make an All-NBA team within the next few years and he's one of the worst starting defensive PG's in the NBA.

Now, in no way am I comparing Anderson to any of those guys. But, when you start talking about how he can't guard anyone in the league, does that really matter in today's game? If his offensive skillset is good enough, its not going to matter if he can guard a pool stick because people will glorify his offensive game.

But, what I described is how every draft prospect is looked at. You have people giving Parker a hard time because they are saying he can't defend the perimeter because he's too slow. Well, his offensive game is probably the best in the draft and he's capable of making an All-NBA team in his first 5 years WITHOUT improving defensively. We talk about it all the time. Defense is not looked at in the same light as offense anymore.

Now, if Anderson fails on the offensive end, he very well may end up out of the league soon. But, the reason why people do value him as a 1st round pick is because of his offensive skillset. That's the main focus of his game. To say he's going to struggle in the NBA due to one side of the ball that's not even valued highly anymore in today's game doesn't mean much. He just needs the right situation to have success. That's all. He can be a terrible defender his entire career, but as long as he continues to improve his shooting, use his high bball IQ, passing ability and crash the boards, he will be considered a pretty damn good player.

Last edited:
We like to look at a player's weakness and define a player by that weakness. This doesn't go for Anderson, but any prospect.

When you look at the NBA today, you have so many players making a name for themselves not because of their defense. James Harden just made All-NBA 1st team this year and he's one of the worst perimeter defenders at his position. Kyrie Irving will probably make an All-NBA team within the next few years and he's one of the worst starting defensive PG's in the NBA.

Now, in no way am I comparing Anderson to any of those guys. But, when you start talking about how he can't guard anyone in the league, does that really matter in today's game? If his offensive skillset is good enough, its not going to matter if he can guard a pool stick because people will glorify his offensive game.

But, what I described is how every draft prospect is looked at. You have people giving Parker a hard time because they are saying he can't defend the perimeter because he's too slow. Well, his offensive game is probably the best in the draft and he's capable of making an All-NBA team in his first 5 years WITHOUT improving defensively. We talk about it all the time. Defense is not looked at in the same light as offense anymore.

But that's the thing, I have questions about he'll effect the game on both ends, not just defense. Anyone who is as bad as Anderson on defense are elite offensive players and were so in college. Irving, Harden, Curry, terrible on that end but elite on offense. How can Kyle be effective on offense if he's a 3? He can't shoot off the dribble, especially against NBA level athletes, he's too slow of a shooter to be a dynamo spot up guy, and he isn't taking anyone off the dribble. What can he legit do on that end of the floor that makes you think he's capable of being All NBA ?

I probably am OD negative on him :lol: (plus he's a great guy too)

But BBIQ, ball handling, passing, at 6'9....you're describing Luke Walton fam.

Luke Walton has no handles :lol:

Only a 6'8.5 wingspan (vs 7'2.75 for Kyle). So he couldn't properly play PF. Also couldn't really shoot. Kyle's jumper actually fell at a really good rate this year (3s and fadeaways). So if that can translate + his ball handling, we're talking about a different, very different player. Kyle's rebounding was on a different level too.

I do think Luke is probably Kyle's worst case scenario but I don't think it's likely.

But that's the thing, I have questions about he'll effect the game on both ends, not just defense. Anyone who is as bad as Anderson on defense are elite offensive players and were so in college. Irving, Harden, Curry, terrible on that end but elite on offense. How can Kyle be effective on offense if he's a 3? He can't shoot off the dribble, especially against NBA level athletes, he's too slow of a shooter to be a dynamo spot up guy, and he isn't taking anyone off the dribble. What can he legit do on that end of the floor that makes you think he's capable of being All NBA ?

Well, as P mentioned, one of the biggest questions is dealing with a team handing him the keys. Pretty much meaning he needs the right situation. I think any team that drafts him will be looking to do that (whether its with the 1st unit or 2nd unit). In Memphis case, they need a guy that has the ability to make plays. Conley isn't considered a play maker, but more of a game manager. I think if they were to draft Anderson, he would eventually be the primary ball handler for the most part.

There are several slow guards in the league today that are capable of handling the ball against pressure (i.e. Basic Game, Vasquez,Turk did it, Calathes). I don't think he needs to be explosive or athletic to handle the ball against NBA defenders. Now, if he fails as the primary ball handler on a team, then yea he will end up being a bench warmer or out the league. With his size and IQ, I'm confident that he will find ways to make plays and score the basketaball via pick n roll or post up.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember how Anderson faired against Aaron Gordon? The guy that's considered one of the most athletic defenders in the draft?

Thunder fans think he will fall to us and we'll take him, most are either way up or way down on him. I mean, duke's nickname is literally "Slow mo." I like KJ McDaniels more if he can fall to us a 29 or 21. Jerami Grant was in OKC this weekend too
McDaniels is a much better fit for OKC.

Anderson isn't close to the athlete that Parsons is. Memphis should be looking at wings who can shoot. Hairston, Warren, Young. Warren and Hairston may be gone and they'll get stuck with Young :lol:.

Jerami Grant is a PF. Don't see anyone drafting him to play SF. 

Being that I am a member of the "KD is leaving in 2016 if we don't have a ring yet," club, I don't value the draft at all unless there's someone you can draft and put him in a game from day 1. We lucked out with Adams this yr, but even that was unexpected and Brooks hand was forced because of injury to our other options. And then the playoffs start and he still forgot Adams existed until 5 games in. We have enough projects with Lamb, Anderson, Jones 3, Sheem, than to draft 2 more. If there is a trade out there for a vet who is a known quantity .ie that Shumpert for the @29, I'm all over that. In fact, I'm over the tax line this summer and next summer. Can't keep coming back from the summer with Derek Fisher and some basketball vagabond who had his passport ready and is willing to play here just because he has little other choice (Gomes, Liggins, Thabeet, etc. we get 1 every yr).

Thabo being likely out does open up a starting 2 guard spot. Same token, he (and Butler) played so poorly they have to have no value and you can probably get them for the minimum which those words give Presti and Bennett boners, so maybe they are both retained.

I don't watch hardly any basketball but the names on the Thunder board floated around a lot (we draft at 21 and 29) are Jordan Adams, Clint Capella, Jerami Grant, Tyler Ennis, Elfrid Payton, KJ McDaniels, SHabazz Napier, James Young, Jordan Clarkson, Payton, and Dinwindle.

I don't know. We need 2 legit 40% 3pt shooters out the corner. Any position

Thunder fans think he will fall to us and we'll take him, most are either way up or way down on him. I mean, duke's nickname is literally "Slow mo." I like KJ McDaniels more if he can fall to us a 29 or 21. Jerami Grant was in OKC this weekend too
McDaniels is a much better fit for OKC.

Anderson isn't close to the athlete that Parsons is. Memphis should be looking at wings who can shoot. Hairston, Warren, Young. Warren and Hairston may be gone and they'll get stuck with Young
laugh.gif

Jerami Grant is a PF. Don't see anyone drafting him to play SF. 
Being that I am a member of the "KD is leaving in 2016 if we don't have a ring yet," club, I don't value the draft at all unless there's someone you can draft and put him in a game from day 1. We lucked out with Adams this yr, but even that was unexpected and Brooks hand was forced because of injury to our other options. And then the playoffs start and he still forgot Adams existed until 5 games in. We have enough projects with Lamb, Anderson, Jones 3, Sheem, than to draft 2 more. If there is a trade out there for a vet who is a known quantity .ie that Shumpert for the @29, I'm all over that. In fact, I'm over the tax line this summer and next summer. Can't keep coming back from the summer with Derek Fisher and some basketball vagabond who had his passport ready and is willing to play here just because he has little other choice (Gomes, Liggins, Thabeet, etc. we get 1 every yr).

Thabo being likely out does open up a starting 2 guard spot. Same token, he (and Butler) played so poorly they have to have no value and you can probably get them for the minimum which those words give Presti and Bennett boners, so maybe they are both retained.

I don't watch hardly any basketball but the names on the Thunder board floated around a lot (we draft at 21 and 29) are Jordan Adams, Clint Capella, Jerami Grant, Tyler Ennis, Elfrid Payton, KJ McDaniels, SHabazz Napier, James Young, Jordan Clarkson, Payton, and Dinwindle.

I don't know. We need 2 legit 40% 3pt shooters out the corner. Any position
I desperately want Shump!!!

Does anyone remember how Anderson faired against Aaron Gordon? The guy that's considered one of the most athletic defenders in the draft?
DX uploaded a video of the two this morning, but they deleted it already it seems.

But from the Pac12 Championship Game, Gordon wasn't letting Anderson get anywhere.

Last edited:
Well, I guess at this point...why is he even considered a 1st rounder in this type of draft? With the way some people talk, he's more of a 2nd round talent.
because he is a 6'9 point forward and NBA teams just love that. but everyone has already touched on the fact why I don't think he will become a good NBA player. like a few of us said early in the year(think it was OKB or shoeking and myself) if he doesn't become a elite NBA 3 point shooter he will never have a place in a NBA rotation.

luke Walton=Kyle Anderson

DX uploaded a video of the two this morning, but they deleted it already it seems.

But from the Pac12 Championship Game, Gordon wasn't letting Anderson get anywhere.

One thing Kyle did do well was get to the line and rebound well and DX lists him as the 6th best defensive rebounding propsect in the top 100.

The reason Kyle came up was because Joerger loves him, apparently.

Kyle cant play SF, but according to you guys he'll be able to guard PFs right? So he's gonna guard AD, Blake, Love, Dirk, Timmy, Aldridge, West, Ibaka, Zbo, Bosh, Milsap, Lee?

View media item 1016584
I dont like him as a player, but he'll play PG and SF in the league. No where else.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
 If that's what you took from it. The point was that we don't know WHO he can guard. He won't play PG. He'll initiate the offense as a Point Forward, but no way in hell does he play PG. 

Bhz, now we know why you're going all out for him. 
laugh.gif

so you start him at PG and teams iso him and pick and roll him to death then what?

and kyle does suck on defense but my biggest worry with him is what he does on offense in the NBA

Last edited:
He'll be good in the PnR defense simply because of his length. See Livingston, MCW, etc. Plus with him on the floor you can easily switch. In the post though? He's done.

Last edited:
He'll be good in the PnR defense simply because of his length. See Livingston, MCW, etc. Plus with him on the floor you can easily switch. In the post though? He's done.
MCW and Livingston in the same sentence as Anderson as defenders is just not a good comparison. MCW has very good foot speed to couple with his length. Anderson struggled guarding wings at the college level, how the hell will he guard PGs in the NBA?

Back
Top Bottom