2014 NBA Draft Thread

I feel like international players shouldn't be allowed to enter the draft if they aren't 100% coming that year

If a player is 18 but won't be ready to come over for 3 years then wait 3 ******* years and then enter

it's just stupid. If Saric is gonna be a little B and not come over immediately then he shouldn't be in the draft.
You know a lot of great international players have waited before coming over, right?

Oh yeah I know he's definitely not going second round I'm just saying I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him with one of our top 10 picks if we aren't completely sure he wants to play for us. He's only 20...he could end up saying he's cool with just playing overseas for the next 5 years and then we used a top 10 pick on somebody who won't help us build what we could have.

I feel like our 10th pick will be decided out of need as opposed to what we will do with our third pick choosing the best talent available.

Also, what are the chances the lakers will accept trading the 7th pick for a 25 year old thad young + 3 of our second round draft pick?

If randle falls that low and we land wiggins, we can potentially have our 2015 starting lineup looking like this:
MCW
Harris
Wiggins/ Parker
Randel
Noel

Nasty.

Looks good on paper. But 4 rookies and 1 sophomore...

I feel like international players shouldn't be allowed to enter the draft if they aren't 100% coming that year

If a player is 18 but won't be ready to come over for 3 years then wait 3 ******* years and then enter

it's just stupid. If Saric is gonna be a little B and not come over immediately then he shouldn't be in the draft.

Exactly. I guess American players should get to declare right out of high school then wait a couple years to play with the team that has their rights.

Oh yeah I know he's definitely not going second round I'm just saying I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him with one of our top 10 picks if we aren't completely sure he wants to play for us. He's only 20...he could end up saying he's cool with just playing overseas for the next 5 years and then we used a top 10 pick on somebody who won't help us build what we could have.

I feel like our 10th pick will be decided out of need as opposed to what we will do with our third pick choosing the best talent available.

Also, what are the chances the lakers will accept trading the 7th pick for a 25 year old thad young + 3 of our second round draft pick?

If randle falls that low and we land wiggins, we can potentially have our 2015 starting lineup looking like this:
MCW
Harris
Wiggins/ Parker
Randel
Noel

Nasty.

Looks good on paper. But 4 rookies and 1 sophomore...

We're not playing for next season. We are playing for the future. And this future looks bright. It would be good to have a veteran on the team to teach these kids.

Is Andrew Wiggins considered international?

He is, but I wouldn't put him in that 'bracket' since he played for an American University and scouts saw him just as much (if not more) as any other American player.

Last edited:

Exactly. I guess American players should get to declare right out of high school then wait a couple years to play with the team that has their rights.

I agree with @FinallyFamous it's silly that international players get to choose weather or not they want to play next season. That gives them all the leverage to choose where they want to play as opposed to American players. If they enter the draft, the player and the drafting team should have an agreement with the international team to buy out the contract.

So long as international players aren't intentionally misleading potential teams about coming over.. I don't have a problem with it. And American players can do the same thing.. Calathes was drafted even though he was going overseas to play for a few years.

So long as international players aren't intentionally misleading potential teams about coming over.. I don't have a problem with it. And American players can do the same thing.. Calathes was drafted even though he was going overseas to play for a few years.
Basically American players could do the exact same thing, there's just no incentive to do it.  Smarter for them to just go right to the league and start making money...  I don't really understand the decision to stay by many of the Euro players, but I'm sure it has to do with their comfortability with being in Europe closer to home.

On that note, surprised we haven't seen more Brandon Jennings types, considering how it worked out for him.

Thad Young and 3 2nd round picks for our 7th :rofl:

Come on b, I thought Laker fans were supposed to be the ones making ridiculous offers.

I'm not taking Saric unless it's in the 2nd round if he doesn't give us a commitment to come over this year. I don't trust those international dudes. Take him at 10 and then he doesn't end up coming over for 5 years or never end up coming period.

I see where you are coming from. Guys like Rubio took two years to come and he was clearly overhyped. However, guys like valanciunas worked out pretty well. I think the sixers can afford for him to stay another year. We are in no hurry to win.

Ps. He is not going second round. That's just not happening.

Neither are busts, and its way too early to project their careers. But to say Rubio was overhyped and Jonas worked out is laughable.

Otto Porter Jr. Lol.

What if he came out this draft? Where would he rank?
I'm surprised, bit the bait moderately. Believed in the NBA-ready talk for Porter. Thought his game would translate quickly if not immediately. Neither has been the case.
The most surprising thing is he was supposed to be "nba ready" an ready to step right in and contribute ...but that wasn't the case, he looked lost and timid out there but he was a rookie so can't be too concerned for now...in this draft he definitely woulda been mid to late first

Back
Top Bottom