2014 NBA Draft Thread

1. He dominated FIBA international competition, a level of competition that is just as good as high major college basketball.

2. How many college players born in America have not lived up to the hype?

in fact international players have a high average PER, than college players drafted in the lottery.

AVERAGE PER for lottery picks.

Seniors

Juniors

Sophmores

Freshmen

High School

International

He dominated FIBA kids. U-19. Not against grown men or even players that are 20-22. That level of play isn't NCAA high-major level.

If we can somehow keep mcw AND draft exum AND parker or wiggins..ill be happy.

Lol

I was about to say, let's not act like Exum didn't smoke all the international competition in his age range, including all the elite American prospects.
But really most did. I remember that Jan Vesely averaged like 21 & 8 in the U19 FIBA Tournament 

Obviously it's a good thing Exum put up stats in U19. But remember, he's playing against other inexperienced kids so it's not a huge deal. He also is the best player by far on his team and has a huge role - he's going to put up numbers regardless.

Against the US team, his team got so thoroughly dominated that he only played 11 minutes. It's not like he carried them. They were down 55-20 at the half :lol:

Not saying to completely ignore those numbers - but they don't matter too much.

He dominated FIBA kids. U-19. Not against grown men or even players that are 20-22. That level of play isn't NCAA high-major level.

Those "kids" are the most talented player in their class.

The vast majaority of those 20-22 year olds are not good enough to play high level pro basketball, Kevin Pelton on espn insider said the translated stats from fiba to u19 have the level of play slightly less than high major college

But really most did. I remember that Jan Vesely averaged like 21 & 8 in the U19 FIBA Tournament

1. Yeah i don't think thats right, he played eurobasket not world u19.

even with that said obviously Vesley like every prospect who gets drafted top 10 stood out as young players just like american players.

Obviously it's a good thing Exum put up stats in U19. But remember, he's playing against other inexperienced kids so it's not a huge deal. He also is the best player by far on his team and has a huge role - he's going to put up numbers regardless.

Against the US team, his team got so thoroughly dominated that he only played 11 minutes. It's not like he carried them. They were down 55-20 at the half :lol:

Not saying to completely ignore those numbers - but they don't matter too much.

he's playing against the best young players in the world, stop down playing it. Canada had Tyler Ennis, Trey Lyles, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Chris Egi, basically all top 30 players in their class and they came and they finished with the same record as Australia. 3 and 3/

his level of play matters, the tape against high level competition matters. its the numbers COMBINED with the way he played.

he's playing against the best young players in the world, stop down playing it. Canada had Tyler Ennis, Trey Lyles, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Chris Egi, basically all top 30 players in their class and they came and they finished with the same record as Australia. 3 and 3/

his level of play matters, the tape against high level competition matters. its the numbers COMBINED with the way he played.

You compared it to NCAA high-major teams. You really think a bunch of inexperienced 18 year olds, not even freshman in college with no time playing together are touching ANY good NCAA team?

This isn't high level competition. It's a good sign that he's putting up numbers. But this is equivalent to playing against good HS teams. It's not a giant feat. It's a step in the right direction but I personally wouldn't put too much stock in it. It's not like he's playing in professional European leagues against grown men and putting up stats - like Saric currently is.

BTW Dario Saric averaged 20 and 10 three years ago in this same tournament.

OKB....if Philly managed to get Wiggins, Exum (trading MCW) and Stauskas would you become a Sixers fan :lol:

Dominating these U19 international leagues is equivalent to dominating AAU Tournaments in HS.

PS Dante Exum vs USA in the FIBA U19 Championships...7 Pts and 4 Turnovers and some of team USA were JRs in HS, http://www.usab.com/mens/u19/13_mu19_game_05_box.html

Also I will stand behind this 100% but the reason most of these international players do not go to college is bc they would get bodied by the upper classman. Exum is 19 and very well could be a superstar but he's not facing 6'10 PFs and 7 Foot Centers in Austrailia. In fact, Exum may be the only pro caliber player in Austrailia. College on the other hand has 60 players (obviously many more players but most NBA players come from the Power 5 conferences). This is the reason why most HS players dont go straight to the D-league bc physically they can't handle the players who graduated from the NBA and they are scared to get exposed and hurt there draft stock.

MCW did exceptionally well in college came into the league and won ROY. You CANNOT trade a proven ROY for Exum especially with the value of players at 3 and 10 in this draft.

I'd go as far as to take Smart over Exum and if Tyler Ennis was a little taller, I'd take him too only because of the level of competition they played against their whole lives being on the best AAU teams and playing in the Big 12 and ACC.

I'd rather just stick with MCW and draft who falls to us at 3 and 10 honestly. Just saying I wouldn't doubt it if Brett Brown really wants Exum and has known him and watched him play for quite some time because of their Australian ties.

You compared it to NCAA high-major teams. You really think a bunch of inexperienced 18 year olds, not even freshman in college with no time playing together are touching ANY good NCAA team?

Yeah its this magical thing called talent.

I mean Kentucky and his freshmen seem to have no problem beating high major teams in the NCAA.

Tyler Ennis, XRM, Trey Lyles, Chris Egi, Duan Notice, is a high major squad, and they went 3/3.

also you have to understand that outside of team USA, the international squads have been play together their entire lives.

This isn't high level competition. It's a good sign that he's putting up numbers. But this is equivalent to playing against good HS teams. It's not a giant feat. It's a step in the right direction but I personally wouldn't put too much stock in it. It's not like he's playing in professional European leagues against grown men and putting up stats - like Saric currently is.

like I said, ESPN, translated the statistics, from fiba u-19 play to NCAA, its close enough to high major basketball. You are overrating the NCAA and forgetting about all the bad high major teams. The higher talent level, compensates for the age.

BTW Dario Saric averaged 20 and 10 three years ago in this same tournament.

Your point? Dario Saric is really good. :lol:

Last edited:
Smart doesn't remind of Reke outside the fact that they both can't shoot.

Smart is an elite defender/athlete with an amazing build. He'll be able to guard 1,2 and none elite 3's. You just don't find guys 6'3 230 with 6'9.25 wingspans with great defensive instincts like him. He also cut down his turnovers and is good in the pick and roll.

Evans on the other hand was one of the best ball handlers at 6'6 I can remember seeing coming in and was a guy who could create a shot from day one. People thought he would be an elite defender too with his athleticism and 6'11 (sheesh) wingspan but it didn't pan out, still haven't completely given up on him though.

OKB....if Philly managed to get Wiggins, Exum (trading MCW) and Stauskas would you become a Sixers fan :lol:
Dominating these U19 international leagues is equivalent to dominating AAU Tournaments in HS.

PS Dante Exum vs USA in the FIBA U19 Championships...7 Pts and 4 Turnovers and some of team USA were JRs in HS, http://www.usab.com/mens/u19/13_mu19_game_05_box.html

Also I will stand behind this 100% but the reason most of these international players do not go to college is bc they would get bodied by the upper classman. Exum is 19 and very well could be a superstar but he's not facing 6'10 PFs and 7 Foot Centers in Austrailia. In fact, Exum may be the only pro caliber player in Austrailia. College on the other hand has 60 players (obviously many more players but most NBA players come from the Power 5 conferences). This is the reason why most HS players dont go straight to the D-league bc physically they can't handle the players who graduated from the NBA and they are scared to get exposed and hurt there draft stock.

MCW did exceptionally well in college came into the league and won ROY. You CANNOT trade a proven ROY for Exum especially with the value of players at 3 and 10 in this draft.

:lol:

So they go to pro leagues and play against 27-28 year old grown men and former 4 year college starters.

You understand how that makes zero sense right?

Last edited:
Smart has some Lowry in him when he entered the league. But in a bigger body frame. And if he develops to anything like Lowry at 6'3 and 227 lbs. then he'll be a load to handle.

Edit:

The one thing about the Smart-Evans comparison that is legit is their ability to get to the rim. With their body types, they can just bowl their way to the basket to get layups, draw fouls and/or collapse the defense. So important in today's NBA to have a guard that can find a way to the basket.

Last edited:
Smart and Tyreke? another horrible comparison.

Smart does have potential to be a very good player.

I really like this class.

i see a lot of deron williams/chauncy in marcus smart. strong bodies, great faciliators, scorers, and size for the pg position

then again, he can be a randy foye as well. (not a bad thing)

Last edited:
I'd rather just stick with MCW and draft who falls to us at 3 and 10 honestly. Just saying I wouldn't doubt it if Brett Brown really wants Exum and has known him and watched him play for quite some time because of their Australian ties.

Exactly. MCW is a star in the making. I want Garry harris or Lavine at 10 though.

Idk about MCW being a star in the making. We said the same things about Brandon Jennings (Who had a similar rookie season) and Tyreke evans

Back
Top Bottom