2014 NBA Draft Thread

i really wonder what people around the league think of MCW.. 

how far would an offer of MCW and 10 get the 76ers

Ford:
Gordon's versatility on full display

Southern California was just jammed full of NBA prospects last week. On Friday we talked about Gary Harris, James Young and company. On Tuesday we detailed the workouts of Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Jabari Parker.

But that's not all. On Friday, I saw several other intriguing prospects for the 2014 NBA draft in workouts in Santa Monica. All of these workouts were also in front of a plethora of NBA scouts and general managers.

Here's a look at how each of the top prospects fared.

Aaron Gordon, Arizona Wildcats

Gordon is riding a high from an excellent NBA draft combine, where he tested among the top athletes at the event. However, that didn't really surprise anyone who has followed Gordon's career. We all know that he can jump out of the gym.

Friday's test was more crucial. Gordon has been labeled as a tweener by many NBA scouts -- a tad too small to be an effective power forward but too limited offensively to be an NBA small forward. That's why Gordon, who's 6-foot-9, 225 pounds, has spent the season trying to prove he can make the transition offensively to the small forward position. His freshman season at Arizona was a mixed bag on that front. While he shot a surprising 36 percent from 3-point range (albeit with a very small sample size) his 2-point jump shooting was an abysmal 27.5 percent, and he shot a horrific 42 percent from the free throw line.

Gordon went out of his way on Friday to show that he's a better shooter than scouts give him credit for. He went through a series of drills that had him shooting midrange and 3-point jumpers, and he shot them at a much higher clip than you would expect for someone who has a reputation as a poor shooter. Athletically he was terrific as always, but it was the shooting that caught everyone's eye. Whether any of that would translate into a game setting is a legitimate question, but the scouts and GMs I spoke with after the workout did walk away impressed at the work he has put in.

They all also love his attitude and confidence. Gordon was a hit in the interviews in Chicago as well, with one team telling me that they were impressed when he answered the question, "What's your biggest strength?" with "My belief in myself. I believe I can do anything." That showed up in the workout when the trainer actually instructed Gordon to do a midrange shooting drill and Gordon waved him off and stepped back beyond the NBA 3-point line and started drilling 3s. It was a risky move, but one that illustrated his confidence. It also helped that they went in at a high clip.

Gordon remains in that scrum with Julius Randle and Noah Vonleh for a pick between No. 5 and No. 8. I think the Celtics remain the best bet of the group to take him at No. 6, if they keep their pick.

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State Cowboys

Smart was his characteristic self in Santa Monica. He was energetic, vocal and like Jabari Parker, went hard for the entire workout. Like Gordon, many of the question marks surrounding Smart have to do with his jump shot. He shot 30 percent from 3-point range this past season, barely up from his 29 percent as a freshman. His 2-point field goal percentage on jumpers, at 31 percent, wasn't much better.

In a 30-minute workout, Smart did his best to prove that his shot isn't broken. Like Gordon, Smart's shot was falling from just about everywhere on the floor Friday.

At least one veteran GM wasn't surprised. "I don't think Marcus is a bad shooter. I think his form looks pretty good and you see it will go in when he's squared and taking good shots. I think the issue is that Marcus took a lot of bad shots. He was trying to do too much at Oklahoma State. If he can trust his teammates in the NBA and be a leader, I think he'll be just fine as a shooter. Shot selection is the key for him."

Smart also looked in great shape and was finishing well above the rim in drills. Factor in all of the intangibles about his basketball IQ (which are impossible to show in these settings) and I think he helped cement his place in the draft somewhere between No. 4 and No. 8. The Magic, Celtics, Lakers and Kings are all very strong possibilities for him. He just finished his first workout on Tuesday in Orlando, and has workouts scheduled with the Lakers on June 4 and Celtics per ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman.

Zach LaVine, UCLA Bruins

LaVine might have helped himself more than anyone at the draft combine in Chicago. Not only did he test as the best athlete in the draft, he shot the ball well, measured great and showed well in drills.

The one-on-none workout he went through on Friday didn't really move the needle in either direction. Most impressively, he finished the workout with several amazing dunks that had him eye-level with the rim. The people at P3, where he is training, claim he's one of the most insane athletes they've ever tested.

LaVine shot the ball well in the workout, though there was some inconsistency that mirrored his performance at UCLA. The question is really whether he's a point guard. There was nothing done in the drills to answer that question, but it didn't stop scouts from chiming in.

"I don't understand why everyone's trying to make him a 1," one NBA scout said. "He's got the size and skill set of an NBA 2-guard. Just let him be. I think that's what he is. Why are we trying to convert him into a point [guard]? He doesn't need to be to be an attractive pick."

But another scout said LaVine has the handle and attitude to be a good NBA point guard. "He's never going to be a pass-first guy, but if you watched him in high school you know he had a lot more to his game than he got to show at UCLA. He's quick with the ball, sees the floor well. If you remember a young Jamal Crawford playing point guard for the Bulls -- I think he could be that type of player. Even better because he's a better athlete than Jamal."

LaVine started workouts in Chicago last week with the Bulls. He remains a likely late lottery to mid-first-round pick.

Jerami Grant, Syracuse Orange

Grant also showed well athletically at the NBA draft combine. He has the requisite length and athletic ability -- but like Gordon, he's a tweener. His measurements suggest he could get away with playing some 4 in the NBA, but his rebounding numbers give some pause.

As for Grant's jump shot, it's still a big work in progress. His range from NBA 3-point range is limited and his midrange game is inconsistent right now. Whoever takes him will be taking him because of his athletic upside, pedigree and defensive potential. His offense still has a ways to go. But I still see him as a mid-to-late first-round pick.

Kyle Anderson, UCLA Bruins

Anderson was held out of the draft combine because of an ankle injury, so this was the first time NBA teams got to see him in a workout setting. This wasn't an ideal environment for Anderson. His nickname is "Slo-mo," and that style of play translated to the workouts as well. Compared to Parker, who was trying to kill everything in the workout, Anderson was just taking his time.

His lack of athletic ability and emerging jumper just meant he wasn't going to pop in this setting. To get a good appreciation of him, he needs the ball in his hands and needs to be running a team.

The NBA GMs I spoke with here remain divided. They all agree that on the right team, in the right system, he could have success. But it's a gamble right now.

"Will an NBA head coach give him minutes given his defensive liabilities?" one GM said. "That's my first concern. And if he gets minutes, will an NBA coach put the ball in his hands, because that's when he's special. If he's just a power forward, there are much better prospects. I just don't know. I know he has as good of a feel for the game as anyone in this draft. Everything comes easy to him."

Look for Anderson's stock to continue to be all over the place. He could go anywhere from No. 14 to No. 30.

If I'm Orlando, I would consider that move especially if I can get #10 as well

Idk about an MCW/Oladipo backcourt in half court offense but defensively and in transition it would be a show.

They would have the same problems as a Marcus Smart/Oladipo backcourt.

Damn Smart goofed by going back to school, I almost feel bad for son. :smh:

Last edited:
If I'm Orlando, I would consider that move especially if I can get #10 as well

Idk about an MCW/Oladipo backcourt in half court offense but defensively and in transition it would be a show.

They would have the same problems as a Marcus Smart/Oladipo backcourt.

Damn Smart goofed by going back to school, I almost feel bad for son. :smh:

How do you feel about Exum/Oladipo backcourt?

Wait wait wait, this cant be true man.

So we draft exum at 3...trade MCW for lets say a future 1st rounder? Nah man. I like MCW alot.

Exum has a lot more upside than MCW IMO and I've watched both of them a lot. Exum is just more skilled and they both have similar body types. I'll give MCW the edge athletically but not by a huge margin and his shot is really bad. 40% from the field and 26% from 3 is Rubio territory, even for a rookie that's bad. He's also turnover prone but that also had to do with the fact that he played on a really bad team.

Also factor in that MCW will be 23 before the start of next season while Exum will be 19.

^ why not keep both? Play them both in the backcourt and pray one of them become consistant shooters? I hear some scouts say exum is a very underrated shooter so why not?

MCW also averaged 16,6,6 as a rookie though. Bad shooting #'s but he'll improve man.

Last edited:
How do you feel about Exum/Oladipo backcourt?

I'm a fan, Exum is a better shooter than MCW IMO and a better shot creator.

Let Vic play slot receiver/cut to the rim/float foul line extended and let Exum run the point, I'm letting that ride for 3-5 years with Harris/Vucevic.

So they would take Exum at 3 and look to move MCW after? Or they would take Jabari/Wiggins/Embiid at 3 and then give MCW and 10 to move up to 4?

Because I like the latter...

So they would take Exum at 3 and look to move MCW after? Or they would take Jabari/Wiggins/Embiid at 3 and then give MCW and 10 to move up to 4?

Because I like the latter...

That's the only way it will work. Exum will not fall past #4 unless Orlando falls in love with Randle/Gordon/Vonleh.

If Orlando made that trade with Philly and came away with MCW, #10 plus keep #12 that would be a great draft for them IMO.

I like the trade for both teams honestly but Orlando definitely better take Dougie Fresh with one of those picks because spacing is going to get a little sketchy with MCW and Vic.

That's the only way it will work. Exum will not fall past #4 unless Orlando falls in love with Randle/Gordon/Vonleh.

If Orlando made that trade with Philly and came away with MCW, #10 plus keep #12 that would be a great draft for them IMO.
Orlando may pass on Exum for Marcus Smart also. Remember last year, it was widely known that Orlando LOVED Smart, and was locked in for drafting him 2nd overall, but he returned to school. IMO I wouldn't be surprised if they picked him. It only takes one team to fall in love with you.

So we draft exum at 3...trade MCW for lets say a future 1st rounder? Nah man. I like MCW alot.

Son.....you really think we'd trade MCW for a damn future 1st rounder? I'm sure we could get something real nice for the current ROY.

Philly gets pick 4 and 12
Orlando gets MCW and 10

I'd do that.

Last edited:

Son.....you really think we'd trade MCW for a damn future 1st rounder? I'm sure we could get something real nice for the current ROY.

Fam it was a suggestion. I was just throwing it out there. I dont agree with trading him unless we end up we get a deal we cant pass up.

Just stay pat. Draft whoever doesnt get picked between Wigs/Emiid/Bari and take Harris at 10.

BOOM.

Last edited:

Orlando may pass on Exum for Marcus Smart also. Remember last year, it was widely known that Orlando LOVED Smart, and was locked in for drafting him 2nd overall, but he returned to school. IMO I wouldn't be surprised if they picked him. It only takes one team to fall in love with you.

Forgot about Orlando's love affair with Smart. Smart/Oladipo backcourt though? Not a big fan of it but I can definitely see it happening.

MCW proved he can be a triple double machine already, Exum dominateed teh Austrailian league...how many times have people drafted foreign players wh havent lived up to the hype....Only a handful top 10 picks internationally have been successful in the NBA

Brett Brown coached the Australian national team. I said on here a while ago I wouldn't be surprised if he went after Exum. He's probably known him and watched him play for a good minute.

International Lottery Players who did NOT go to college

No International Players

No International Players

Enes Kanter, NBA starter
Jonas Valanciunas, NBA starter
Jan Vesely , stinks
Bismack Biyombo, stinks

No international lottery players

Ricky Rubio (dominated Spain) not an elite NBA PG

Danilo Gallinari, good solid player at most 3rd best player on a team

Jianlian Yi, already out of NBA

Bargnani stinks.
Saer Sene, who?
Sefolosha shouldn't even be in the NBA

Andrew Bogut, played in College
Fran Vazquez, never played in NBA
Yaroslav Korlev, who?

From this your best line up of pure bred international players is

Rubio
Bargnani
Kanter
Jonas
Biyombo

Probably 8 wins if there lucky!

Last edited:
MCW proved he can be a triple double machine already, Exum dominateed teh Austrailian league...how many times have people drafted foreign players wh havent lived up to the hype....Only a handful top 10 picks internationally have been successful in the NBA

1. He dominated FIBA international competition, a level of competition that is just as good as high major college basketball.

2. How many college players born in America have not lived up to the hype?

in fact international players have a high average PER, than college players drafted in the lottery.

AVERAGE PER for lottery picks.

Seniors

Juniors

Sophmores

Freshmen

High School

International

Last edited:
I was about to say, let's not act like Exum didn't smoke all the international competition in his age range, including all the elite American prospects.

1. He dominated FIBA international competition, a level of competition that is just as good as high major college basketball.

2. How many college players born in America have not lived up to the hype?

in fact international players have a high average PER, than college players drafted in the lottery.

AVERAGE PER for lottery picks.

Seniors

Juniors

Sophmores

Freshmen

High School

International
How far back do these stats go? That's important to know.

Back
Top Bottom