2014-15 Lakers Season Thread (21-61) KAT

This summer, if the chance comes, Love, Rondo, Neither, or Both?

• Love

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rondo

• Neither

• Both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I fail to see what's so funny Toronto changed GMs and they turned it around so did the Hawks you guys have had horrid last 3 years

Yeah because a different GM would have changed why the past 3 years have been how they were for the better. :rofl:

We would have gotten the same thing.

Actually no I take that back. We'd have Isaiah Thomas and Lance Stephenson.

Last edited:
Yeah because a different GM would have changed why the past 3 years have been how they were for the better. :rofl:

A different GM wouldn't have locked up Kobe for 48 million I know hindsight is 20/20 but how many 1st rounders were given up for Nash a different GM wouldn't have at least tried to get a coach the young guys could actually grow with like Brett Brown and Brad Stevens letting Pau walk for nothing also seems like something every other GM would do your fooling yourselves if you think your management has at least done an above average job.

A different GM wouldn't have locked up Kobe for 48 million I know hindsight is 20/20 but how many 1st rounders were given up for Nash a different GM wouldn't have at least tried to get a coach the young guys could actually grow with like Brett Brown and Brad Stevens letting Pau walk for nothing also seems like something every other GM would do your fooling yourselves if you think your management has at least done an above average job.

May not have been $48.5mil. But it still would have been at least $40mil. They were never going to get Kobe at $12mil a year. So save "a different GM would have..." Because they wouldn't have.

Nash trade was the right trade at the time. And in the previous season Nash played 90% of the games and almost led a bad Suns team into a deep Western Conference. So no another GM wouldn't have done different.

Lakers were still in a playoff run the 11-12 & 12-13. So a young coach with no experience would have been foolish. Also in 13-14, they were hoping Kobe coming back would give them something he only lasted 6 games. And the reason Byron was hired was because of pressure from "former Lakers" and LA as a whole to get someone who knew the "Laker way." Sure Byron is a bad hire, but at the same time they still want to be players in Free Agency, no young coach is making you a player in Free Agency. Maybe Kevin Ollie is the only guy who'd have Free Agent pull but he wasn't leaving UConn.

Pau walking for nothing is a misstep. Sure. Should have taken the Cavs deal, that's on Mitch. But does any GM trade a guy who has been there for a long time still a good player. For 1 future first and no other assets? Probably not. Especially when they wanted to see if they could bring him back, or if a team who needed to make a Sign & Trade would emerge that could get them more. They were greedy, and it backfired. The alternative really wasn't different though. Got more for taking on Lin than we would have for Pau in the Cavs deal.

Yes there have been missteps and mistakes, but you're assuming that no other GM would have any. When we can look all over the NBA and see GMs making them yearly.

So you're fooling yourself if you think any other GM would have put us in a considerably better position. Unless you consider a 20s first round pick as a much improved position.

Last edited:
Ok I got you but the laughing emoji makes me think that you guys wouldn't have it any other way but from the get go Nash and Kobe didn't look like a good fit but I understand that those are the types of moves you have to make to get somewhere but I refuse to believe that Byron Scott was the only option available and if there was another he would have been a better choice by default the extra 8 million could've helped but that is just nitpicking.

What exact move would you like Mitch AND Jim to make???

I'll wait....Im guessing most in here will say JLin. The same JLin that's scared out of his mind, got his spot taken by an old man and a rookie, an absolutely shell of himself (and himself wasn't that much to begin with. Or how bout a hurt 2nd string big man in JHill. Yea other GMs with brains will actually take that!! Smh

Last edited:
Where would you put him honestly
Top 3
If we are going his history número uno.
Say what you will but his savvy, knowledge of the game and contracts. Plus the moves he pulls are incredible.
Other than like Pat (which is the president) or his Master Jedi (Jerry West) ain't too many in his class.
People just seem to forget his successes real quick when the move doesn't turn out the way it's suppose to. It's ok tho his redemption is coming real soon. And everyone will be singing his graces again. But nobody will mention Jims name lol. Oh that's until something bad happens lol

And you guys are forgetting this is a family run business. The only one in the NBA. So our organization is unique to all other teams.

Ok I got you but the laughing emoji makes me think that you guys wouldn't have it any other way but from the get go Nash and Kobe didn't look like a good fit but I understand that those are the types of moves you have to make to get somewhere but I refuse to believe that Byron Scott was the only option available and if there was another he would have been a better choice by default the extra 8 million could've helped but that is just nitpicking.

It is Steve Nash & Kobe Bryant though.... Not Ramon Sessions & Jodie Meeks... They made a move to put 2 highly skilled, smart Hall of Famers together. And had Nash not got injured so quick, I think it could have gelled at least for that first season.

George Karl. Derek Fisher. Either meh. Karl is better than Scott, but still not the 1 you want to ask to go to the dance with. And Derek Fisher is horrible as a coach. Scott was chosen because of people like Magic, and the average "I don't care about knowing facts" Laker fan because of how much they complained about Mike D'Antoni over Phil Jackson when that dynamic wasn't even true, and they blamed the wrong guy.

Sure it would have helped. But I'm not so sure a new GM would have even had cache with Kobe. The situation could have been much worse. The problem is Tim Duncan is not Kobe Bryant, and the Spurs are not the Lakers. Nor is Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, and the Mavericks are not the Lakers. And I speak in a purely financial standpoint about those comparisons. Neither brings in the money Kobe does, and neither team is as financially stable as the Lakers, so they need playoff runs, and needed them to take those pay cuts. Yes, It would have been great if Kobe was at that salary, but I don't think that was even up for discussion, regardless of who was GM.

Last edited:
Top 3
If we are going his history número uno.
Say what you will but his savvy, knowledge of the game and contracts. Plus the moves he pulls are incredible.
Other than like Pat (which is the president) or his Master Jedi (Jerry West) ain't too many in his class.
People just seem to forget his successes real quick when the move doesn't turn out the way it's suppose to. It's ok tho his redemption is coming real soon. And everyone will be singing his graces again. But nobody will mention Jims name lol. Oh that's until something bad happens lol

And you guys are forgetting this is a family run business. The only one in the NBA. So our organization is unique to all other teams.

Fair enough but the spurs have the best GM and Front office and it shouldn't be close

What exact move would you like Mitch AND Jim to make???

I'll wait....Im guessing most in here will say JLin. The same JLin that's scared out of his mind, got his spot taken by an old man and a rookie, an absolutely shell of himself (and himself wasn't that much to begin with. Or how bout a hurt 2nd string big man in JHill. Yea other GMs with brains will actually take that!! Smh
This is fair, don't know what makes guys think others want our trash, teams really like to spite the Lakers just because of our success. 

Not eem getting mad anymore, when you have bums that nobody wants, can't really expect moves to fall from the sky anymore. You would think after 2 years of not trading Pau we would know better, but nope, still expecting miracles. 

I would say Spurs Front Office is #1. RC Buford with Pop having a huge role in player personnel. It's an easy job with very little volatility. But they do deserve a lot of credit for doing that. Where they will be put to the test is when Pop goes in a couple years.

Masai Ujiri of Toronto is number 2.

Then you have Pat Riley - Mitch Kupchak - Neil Olshay (Blazers) - Daryl Morey (Rockets) - Danny Ferry (Hawks)

Danny Ainge (Celtics) - Sam Presti (Thunder)

Presti is low for Kendrick Perkins being on his team year in, year out when he could have just gotten rid of him. And amnestying him a couple of years ago, COULD HAVE kept Harden around for a couple more years. If he doesn't get rid of Perkins in the next 4 days, I never want to hear another word about him as good :rofl:

Darryl Morey is low because yes he's a genius, and yes knows the cap inside and out, but like Billy Beane of the A's, he sometimes over thinks, and outsmarts himself.

Some of the worst: Doc Rivers (terrible terrible GM), Billy King (Nets), Rob Hennigan (Magic), Sam Hinkie (Sixers),

Pete D'Alessandro (Kings) & Tim Connelly (Nuggets) are quickly falling to the bottom of the barrel in 1 year.

Last edited:
Nash was never a good trade. Never.

Trading for 38 year olds is NEVER a wise move.

Multiple picks + 30 million for a 38 year old PG that even while playing was limited to 32 minutes a night and laying on the floor during games.

3 year contract, expecting him to play his age 39-40-41 seasons.

Give me a break.

Multiple picks + 30 million for a 38 year old PG that even while playing was limited to 32 minutes a night and laying on the floor during games.

Give me a break.
Someone link me to this thread when the trade first went down, I'd like to see who was denouncing the move when it happened

Give me a break.
Someone link me to this thread when the trade first went down, I'd like to see who was denouncing the move when it happened

Not many.

I liked the trade, but knew we needed a quality backup for Nash because of age and would have been a problem at some point, so I was pushing for them to bring back Sessions anyway. But he wanted to be guaranteed the Lakers wouldn't try to trade him, which he wouldn't get, and the Bobcats traded him anyway :lol:

Still was the right move. 3 years was too many, but that's what he wanted. And was still playing a high level and did not have any injuries in a season that had a lot of back to back to backs.

Last edited:

Give me a break.
http://sneakertalk.yuku.com/topic/3...ead-Vol-Welcome-LA-Steve?page=81#.VOD_WPnF89Y

Give me a break.
http://sneakertalk.yuku.com/topic/3...ead-Vol-Welcome-LA-Steve?page=81#.VOD_WPnF89Y

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: my first post...

"**** my life". :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom