2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

There was no LHN when the original Pac 16 deal came up. Texas A&M didn't want to be included in the migrate west and the then Pac 10 didn't want Baylor included in the revised package. So Texas went back to the drawing board and the Big 12 got their deal. LHN came after that.

But I do agree with IronMan, this whole thing could have been avoided if the original Pac 16 deal ahd went through.

There was no LHN when the original Pac 16 deal came up. Texas A&M didn't want to be included in the migrate west and the then Pac 10 didn't want Baylor included in the revised package. So Texas went back to the drawing board and the Big 12 got their deal. LHN came after that.

ya this. the texas TV deal came after.

the pac12 is stuck right now, you wont be able to break up the big12. thats why you hear rumors of teams wanting to join the big 12 because they fix there TV deal. any big 12 team that left wouldnt see TV money for almost 20 years with the contract they all signed.

Hawaii

BYU

san diego state

Boise state

Houston

SMU

Fresno state

thats what the pac12 options will be right now. have fun getting some of the pac12 presidents to agree to any 2 of those teams.

since the big east is pretty much done is the ACC that is on the edge like the big12 was a few years ago

Last edited:
But I do agree with IronMan, this whole thing could have been avoided if the original Pac 16 deal ahd went through.

There wasn't but it was in the works, it was already proposed and well known that Texas wanted to launch their own network. This was after aTm decided they were leaving for the SEC. Once LHN was launched it was a wrap, Oklahoma had no choice but to cling to Texas. They wanted to break away as much as aTm and Nebraska did.

I get what you're saying now, what you were referring to was the 2nd time OU/OSU tried to leave on their own. I was referring to the original plan of Big 12 schools going west.

But I do disagree with one of your points, once the B1G/SEC go to 15 the Big 12 will not be viable long term as long as Texas wants to keep the conference at 10. That's why I say for the overall big picture of this one of the Big 12/ACC will have to die. I think UNC holds the biggest key in this whole ordeal, that's why the B1G/SEC are courting them the hardest.

[h1]Big East discovers downside of chasing football dollars[/h1]
By Chip Patterson | Blogger
December 13, 2012 1:34 pm ET
[table][tr][td]
uspw_6806712.jpg
[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Big East continued to add schools from C-USA in order to preserve the Big East title game in football. (US Presswire) [/td][/tr][/table]
The Big East, as we know it, is about to change again. But the Big East, as we knew it, has been gone for a long time.

The league has undergone a turbulent decade, one that has seen nearly every member school either flirt or follow through with a departure for greener pastures. But the most recent defection, the reported exit of seven non-FBS schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova, appears to have little to no effect on the football side of things.

That is because Big East football is arguably the cause of the most recent departures, as the efforts to solidify the conference's football standing have ultimately resulted in the conference losing its status as a traditional college basketball power conference.
[table][tr][td]More on the Big East[/td][/tr][tr][td]Related links[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
"Is the Big East dead? That's utter nonsense," Big East commissioner Mike Aresco said to reporters before the North Carolina-Louisville game on Sept. 17. "You always have a perception issue to deal with and that's why we were out there, vigorously talking about what our conference is. We're not looking back, we're looking forward.

"We're going to be fine. We have a very bright future and vast potential. We have a ratings-proven product in basketball, a ratings-proven product in football."

Then, Aresco dropped the quote that reads much differently after Thursday's news.

"Nobody's going to argue that we're not the strongest basketball conference in the country," Aresco said.

When Aresco made that September comment, the league still had Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and the seven non-FBS schools to anchor its basketball product. With Louisvillle bolting for the ACC in 2014, Connecticut and Cincinnati are left with a league that looks a lot more like Conference USA than the Big East.

That "perception issue to deal with" includes the fact that the Big East moved from a major financial stakeholder in the BCS to one of five conferences competing for a single spot in the future college football playoff. CBSSports.com's Jeremy Fowler is reporting that the "Group of Five" -- Big East, MAC, Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt -- will split roughly 25 percent of the revenue pot from a future playoff. Thismeans the Big East, specifically, will see a significant decrease from its current status as a BCS automatic qualifier.

There is also the issue of a new media rights deal. One of Aresco's first responsibilities since he was hired as commissioner in August has been right in his wheelhouse. But the former CBS Sports vice president has not yet finalized a deal, and CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd reports that the current value of such a deal is well below the league's own estimation of $100 million annually -- possibly as low as $60 million per year.

Not only will the Big East look like Conference USA on a map, but also in the bank.

One of the few things holding the Big East together is the Big East Championship Game, which will be held for the first time after the 2013 regular season between the East Division and West Division champion. Creating a title game requires expansion to 12 teams, and if one of those 12 decides to leave because of instability or a degraded status in the college landscape -- like Rutgers and Louisville -- the league must act immediately to maintain that game.

Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse helped anchor more than a decade of football prominence in the Big East from 1991-2002. In the decade since, every one of those schools has left the conference to join either the ACC or the Big 12. To restock, the Big East reached out to Conference USA and most recently the Mountain West to bring in Boise State and San Diego State as football-only members.

But what about those basketball schools? Boise State, San Diego State and East Carolina are football-only, but do Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida do anything to address the concerns of the schools who don't get that revenue generated from a football championship game? While balance between divisions and maintaining 12 teams for football has been a driving point of conference realignment since 2003, it has never been a concern of the Catholic schools. The Big East made a priority above all else, and now the dilution of the Big East brand in other sports could lead to the conference's end as we know it.

Aresco was considered by many to be a sharp, savvy choice for the Big East. There is a chance he can still keep the league together and move it forward into the future, like he said in September. But doing so will require negotiating a media rights deal that is sweet enough to keep Boise State in the league and preserve the Big East Championship Game. It is not the ideal situation for Big East fans, but it is the result of an "all-in" commitment to chasing those football dollars.
Marinatto and the school presidents really ****** this one up. Being reactive instead of proactive is a large reason why the Big East is currently in the state that its in. Hindsight is 20/20, but I guarantee they would accept ESPNs initial offer if given another opportunity. Notre Dame should have never been allowed to have a vote in the matter since they weren't a full member, but I digress as the full membership point has been driven into the ground. The ACC will learn about that soon enough. Paul Tagliabue, who they brought in as a special adviser, really blew it too. Let's not forget about the ACC luring Pitt and Syracuse under the guise of football dollars. It was a basketball move.

ACC will be next to fold. B12 and B10 will pillage about 4-6 teams from them in the next year.

Man the carnage...Everything I ever saw as a kid growing up watching sports is gone...The conferences, the rivalries...

Maurice Clarett: "I was living the Nfl life in college. I got paid more in college than I do now in the UFL."

/life

Paul Rhoads turned down Wisconsin :smokin I think he is gonna stay at Iowa State for a long time...he grew up near there and it's his dream job. Plus he's a huge fan of Bill Snyder so I can see him trying to be the next Snyder, building that program

Maurice Clarett: "I was living the Nfl life in college. I got paid more in college than I do now in the UFL."

/life

yea, when you see schools that have large ncaa compliance offices, you know there's a lot of trouble going on behind the scenes. Compliance office is just code for keeping ish under wraps...

Here's another good quote from Clarett, "Contrary to popular belief, prison does not give you street cred. Anyone who glorifies it is an idiot. It only lets your dumb a** know that you got caught doing something wrong."

Here's a link to the story from espn...

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ohio-state-buckeyes-talks-drugs-jail-football

Paul Rhoads turned down Wisconsin :smokin I think he is gonna stay at Iowa State for a long time...he grew up near there and it's his dream job. Plus he's a huge fan of Bill Snyder so I can see him trying to be the next Snyder, building that program

Damb.

This is some BS, some rivalries you just can't mess with! And teams don't even wanna play the big games anymore. College sports ain't the same, don't even really keep it with em anymore.

Bama DB coach Jeremy Pruitt will be the next DC @ FSU

One thing I learned, Dont be too high on those Bama defensive assistants.

they have the best collegiate defensive Mind looking over their shoulder and correcting their mistakes.

I hope it works out but there are absolute horror stories out of Knoxville on Sal Sunseri. #JustTurrable

Yeah I saw sals work, which is what scares me. Dude is mad young too, only been coaching for like 4-5 yrs. guess Jimbo was sold from his interview + speaking w/ Nick

On the other hand I don't think well be doing the square peg - round hole of trying to go to a 34 full time.

Hope we can surround him w/ some vet coaches. Give a Call to Vernon Hargraves since he got canned lol

Guess we'll see how good Smart is when Saban goes to the Browns

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom