2013 College Football Thread (Realer than Real Deal Holyfield -->S/O Craftsy)

wait a second... how is it the defensive players that are at risk ?
the same 11 stay on offense as well... im lost...
there's no data or evidence that anyone's at risk. he argues it's common sense that the more you make people run without a chance for a break or substitution the greater the chance of injury. to both offnse and defense. which may be true.

but there's no evidence to support it.

then the whole "i dont really have any studies to back up my claims but based on these two games I watched here teams dont snap the ball that fast anyway so the rule shouldnt affect them" thing is weak.

rich rod made a valid point: the defense's advantage is they can move all 11 guys on the field whenever they want before the snap and the offense's advantage is they know where the ball is going and where they want to get to but they can't move once they're set.  if you take that away you upset the balance of play and give teams with deep loaded rosters on D even more of an advantage.

Sumlin argued if safety is the real issue here there are a thousand other things that can be addressed as well, and it's just funny that the focus is on a system of play that these slower offense teams struggle to defend against.

Saban is a *****

I recall his teams having trouble with these kinds of offenses...A&M, Auburn, Oklahoma. I don't see the NFL rushing to make any of these kinds of rule changes. Perhaps somebody should voice their concern that it's unfair that some teams do better than others...

:smh:

Saban trying to make it look like it's a player safety issue...riiiiight.
laugh.gif
which is hilarious, considering all these alabama dudes come into the NFL with some sort of lingering injury from whatever bama does in their practices

and i cant speak on oregon or other tempo coaches.. but chip introduced a ton of stuff with the eagles to help combat injuries and to keep guys healthy/fresh for the regular season.. stuff like limiting hitting in practice.. and also dietary stuff.. so can only assume this is stuff he was doing while at oregon

Last edited:
Saban will do whatever he can to give himself an advantage, I'll give him that.
Colin Cowherd made himself look bad yesterday on his show. Bashing Saban's defenses to prove Manziel's not a NFL QB. Kept citing Trevor Knight over and over. As if the entire Bama squad outside of McCarron and Mosley didn't mail it in for the Sugar Bowl.

Cowherd's a tool... between him and le batard i don't know which is more painful to listen to...

Last edited:
Lebatard is the whiniest dude on radio ... when steven a. dressed him down on the air i loved it, then haven't listened since :lol:

Saban's problem is that in his scheme they use huge *** LB's who are not good in space and the offense is going at warp speed, which takes away 3 of his advantages

1- Big LB's who can stuff the run and not need to deploy an extra man in the box. Trey DePriest is simply not going to be able to handle dealing w/ RB's in space repeatedly
2- His system calls for all sorts of checks and adjustments, which are hard to relay in and implement when an offense is going fast
3- The scheme also calls for substitutions based on matchups and down and distance (which a lot of defenses do as well but it seems he does it more than others (which may or may not be true). All that pattern reading and matchup zone goes out the window w/ all the window dressing and packaged plays that the HUNH teams run out of similar formations

Hell, if you can take away that advantage (as a defense) why wouldn't you ?

That spirit of the game mess goes out the window when you're taking L's because of it

That said, aside from the OU game, it's not like his defenses are being totally creamed because of these offenses

Last edited:
how about they deal with the "fake" injuries better, before they even consider some of this garbage

Saban's problem is that in his scheme they use huge *** LB's who are not good in space and the offense is going at warp speed, which takes away 3 of his advantages

1- Big LB's who can stuff the run and not need to deploy an extra man in the box. Trey DePriest is simply not going to be able to handle dealing w/ RB's in space repeatedly
2- His system calls for all sorts of checks and adjustments, which are hard to relay in and implement when an offense is going fast
3- The scheme also calls for substitutions based on matchups and down and distance (which a lot of defenses do as well but it seems he does it more than others (which may or may not be true). All that pattern reading and matchup zone goes out the window w/ all the window dressing and packaged plays that the HUNH teams run out of similar formations

Hell, if you can take away that advantage (as a defense) why wouldn't you ?

That spirit of the game mess goes out the window when you're taking L's because of it

That said, aside from the OU game, it's not like his defenses are being totally creamed because of these offenses

So we take an advantage away from other teams for one coach who can't evolve his schemes and players to do this kind of stuff? Saban and Bielema are just making themselves look like idiots. If I'm Gus Malzhan or Kevin Sumlin (in terms of the SEC), I'm telling recruits that Saban is afraid of my team and the way they play the game. If the SEC is "the best in the land" then the teams there need to quit whining and start playing football with the rest of the country.

As far as injuries go, it's been said time and time again that there isn't any evidence to support that it increases the risk of injury. Injuries typically occur for a few reasons such as (a)lack of conditioning, (b)improper dieting/health regimine, (c) body build of athlete, i.e. geneitics, and (d) freak plays.

When Chip became head coach and implemented his system at Oregon, I would argue that there was a reduction in the amount of significant injuries (which has pretty much continued under Helfrich). We saw last year how a few teams that ran pro-style offenses had huge losses due to injuries (Georgia, LSU, Michigan).

Long story short, Saban and Bielema are really just pulling at straws and whining that they don't like the fast-paced, up-tempo style offense that has become popular and effective in football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehh a lot of those big injuries are a function of luck (or lack thereof) more than anything.

Pulls and strains and such, I can see how that ties back to conditioning.

But there's no preventing a torn ACL when a 300lb DL happens to fall on your knee at the right spot. Which ties into a point of supporters of this rule, the opportunity for injury is raised when you have more plays run during a game.

:lol: that negative recruiting tactic isn't gonna work on Alabama

Last edited:
Ehh a lot of those big injuries are a function of luck (or lack thereof) more than anything.

Pulls and strains and such, I can see how that ties back to conditioning.

But there's no preventing a torn ACL when a 300lb DL happens to fall on your knee at the right spot. Which ties into a point of supporters of this rule, the opportunity for injury is raised when you have more plays run during a game.

:lol: that negative recruiting tactic isn't gonna work on Alabama

That can happen at any point in the game on either side of the ball on any team in the country. And if the opposing team doesn't want a lot of plays ran against them, then they need to do what Stanford did to Oregon this last season: force three-and-outs and control the clock on offense. If teams can't do that, is that really the other team's fault? I haven't heard David Shaw complain about his players' "safety".

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowherd's a tool... between him and le batard i don't know which is more painful to listen to...
Mannnn, Cowherd is a radio genius to me. Sure, he's got a HUGE ego...but every time I listen to him he makes me think and entertains me.
Cowherd is dope. Lil over the top skip bayless level but hes cool.

Lebatard on the other hand is wack
Le Batard? Wack?

Man every time I come in here you're insulting one of the greats. The best sports podcast out.

dan_le_batard_in_miami_2.png

Bow down.

Last edited:
Is this Josh Rosen dude a lock to stay out west?
Yes.

He's going to either Stanford, UCLA, or long shot Michigan.

Well unless something crazy happens and Town pulls his commit and things flip and Rosen decides on USC.  But that won't happen.

Last edited:
We're supposed to be impressed that Le Batard bagged a chick with braces?

Doug Nussmeier being their new OC probably plays a part.
[h3]  [/h3]
And Michigan's academics are nothing to scoff at.

Back
Top Bottom