2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portland has great perimeter defenders. I can see Batum/Wes giving Tony trouble. Dont count them out so fast.

Something I never completely understood.

Is playoff experience REALLY an advantage?

If it is how so?

Genuinely curious.

If it is how so?

Genuinely curious.

I don't think any of us can tell you with 100% certainty.... It all depends on the team I think. makes me think of the 2010 OKC Thunder taking the Lakers to 7. On one hand, they were fearless in their inexperience and almost took them, but on the other Kobe & the Lakers had the experience to close them out and advance onto a championship.

If it is how so?

Genuinely curious.

Its not. People.just like to hype that kind of stuff up and say oh that team has the advantage because they've been here before and know how it feels. All game long that's all they were saying about Brooklyn then they almost completely blew the game at the end if your experienced you don't do that. There's no way you can be experienced your playing different teams every time

Did Tony Parker really just say that Portland is good defensively?

Lopez is one of the best interior defenders in the league and Wes Matthews is one of the best perimeter defenders. Batum's not a slouch either.

Not gonna be easy for SA.

Not to mention his ability to clear the glass on offense...

Couple that with L.A and San Antonio's inconsistency staying in front of quick guards and guarding the 3 this series could be troooouuuble trooooouble

not really... but maybe!

I don't think any of us can tell you with 100% certainty.... It all depends on the team I think. makes me think of the 2010 OKC Thunder taking the Lakers to 7. On one hand, they were fearless in their inexperience and almost took them, but on the other Kobe & the Lakers had the experience to close them out and advance onto a championship.

Lakers and Thunder have never played a game 7 before.

Its not. People.just like to hype that kind of stuff up and say oh that team has the advantage because they've been here before and know how it feels. All game long that's all they were saying about Brooklyn then they almost completely blew the game at the end if your experienced you don't do that. There's no way you can be experienced your playing different teams every time

Having experience playing together in the playoffs is absolutely an advantage. There's a reason why almost every NBA champion has lost significant playoff series before eventually winning.

The Nets are just old... They didn't win because of experience, and they don't have much experience together in terms of chemistry etc.

I would say so. How often do you see teams going from never making it to winning the title or even legit contending? Younger players tend to get scared of the pressure late in games, like Atlanta last night.

Anyways, the Empire State Bldg will be lit up Brooklyn Nets colors tonight. Prok apparently paid a million dollars to do it

And actually the Thunder/Lakers series didn't go 7, we were one box out from it doing so though (Pau tipped in a game winner at the last second).

Really sucks that we couldn't bring our game today, because I felt like we would've gave Portland a hell of a fight, as well as OKC if we would've made it that far.

San Antonio was the worst match-up possible for us in the West. But our guys played their hearts out in the games we won. Proud of the effort.

I was shocked how well Carter played in spurts, but this team still needs something big.

Rumblings over the past year have had Luol Deng potentially heading to Dallas. While good, we need a better guard behind Monta/Jose, and a true threat inside. I love Blair, and hope he comes back though.

I would say so. How often do you see teams going from never making it to winning the title or even legit contending? Younger players tend to get scared of the pressure late in games, like Atlanta last night.

Anyways, the Empire State Bldg will be lit up Brooklyn Nets colors tonight. Prok apparently paid a million dollars to do it

And actually the Thunder/Lakers series didn't go 7, we were one box out from it doing so though (Pau tipped in a game winner at the last second).

Well I think teams that make it for the first time would be a lower seed, no? Thus having to face better teams ...

Idk.

I guess we'll see how Portland/Washington does.

Well I think teams that make it for the first time would be a lower seed, no? Thus having to face better teams ...

Idk.

I guess we'll see how Portland/Washington does.

The only team I can think of that won a championship without significant prior playoff experience together is the Celtics in '08... And obviously they had tremendous experience apart from one another.

When you think about it there are a million things different between the playoffs and the regular season.

Lakers and Thunder have never played a game 7 before.

youre right my bad. lakers won 4-2

I wonder why there hasn't been any real BIG signings in Dallas over the years ...seems like when you play in Dallas you get treated like "kings" per se

Also I know Carlisle is a great coach, but I strongly disagree with his approach in the second half. Blair and Wright could've really helped the team out tonight. Blair should've played a much larger chunk of the game. Marion too. The issue wasn't scoring. It was defense. Tony and Manu torched us man. Dirk is going to get ripped every single time if he's the Center out there. Blair, Wright, Marion, anyone could've helped out.

Also I don't know why Rick went away from throwing Marion on Tony or Manu. He's clearly our best individual defender. But instead, we had Calderon, Monta, and Devin getting exposed.

Kind of what I miss about our Championship squad. DeShawn wasn't great, but he was perfect for that team. Two extremely solid defending wing players in the starting lineup.

That said, I'm really happy with what Monta brought this year. I hope to see the same production out of him next year. Stay aggressive.

If it is how so?

Genuinely curious.

I think its all about composure. Your comfort being in that moment and environment when everything is on the line.

Teams who just make it to the playoffs and young teams don't have that feeling or experience of knowing how to handle a game 6 or 7 to close out a series, the pressure could get to them.

They don't have that trial and error yet, or success and failure to look back on and say "this is how I have to approach this".

Last edited:
I think its all about composure. Your comfort being in that moment and environment when everything is on the line.

Teams who just make it to the playoffs and young teams don't have that feeling or experience of knowing how to handle a game 6 or 7 to close out a series, the pressure could get to them.

They don't have that trail and error yet, or success and failure to look back on and say "this is how I have to approach this".

I agree with all of that. I'm sure there's also logistical things that we don't even notice which throw new guys off in the playoffs. Like the travel schedules, etc. Many athletes are creatures of habit and they need to develop experience to know how to deal with this kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom