2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
No ones saying 90's ball was more entertaining.

Some of us are saying the quality of basketball being played was on a higher level. You had to go through a lot more obstacles physically in order to put that ball in the basket.

How can anyone dispute that?

Entertainment wise? Sure you can argue lob city is more entertaining than bad boys type basketball.

Athletes are stronger, faster, jump higher. We get 10x more highlight plays now than ever before.

So entertainment wise? Sure you can have that... Today's nba gives more highlights for sure.

But how anyone can say the quality of professional basketball, game wise now, is up to par with what teams had to face back then...

That, is very hard to comprehend.

Yeah no, this is all wrong.

1. You can look at the pace numbers, pace was significantly higher in the 90's because it was easier to isolate, defenses weren't as sophisticated, couldn't zone. they took quicker shots becuase it easier to get good looks.

2. You can look at the defensive stats, it was easier to score in the 90's defensive ratings were higher.

physicality =/= better defenses.

You don't think Kobe or Lebron would rather play in the 90's were they could clear out one side of the court and got to work? Tracy had to go in the Lab for a year to figure out how to beat these tom thibbaduea style help defenses when they became prominent.

Last edited:
No. You do not play defense with your hands. Did you play ball growing up
laugh.gif
?

The NBA hasn't gone soft. They just are off the OD hard, physical play that was prevalent in the 90's.
Yes I actually played ball in grade school, high school and college 
wink.gif
. You can play defense with your hands and feet like I said.

90's defense = a lot of fouling. The Defense in today's NBA is actually better. 90's defense was full of perimeter players using their hands and forearms to ride players off the bounce. That's called hand checking which is, and should have always been a foul. You play defense with your feet, not your hands.

Actually you play defense with your feet and your hands. The NBA has gone soft in an effort to up entertainment value. 

Exactly. The basketball I grew up and loved playing always had handchecking and using your forearm. Even in college they allow you to get away with some of it. The NBA is terrible today on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Seriously. What kind of fufu *** neighborhoods did you play in where no one handchecked or used their forearm and everyone used their feet :lol:

If we're going to highlight flopping, let's swing to the other side of the pendulum and highlight dirty play by the likes of Bill Laimbeer, John Stockton, 90s Knicks, etc.

If we're going to highlight flopping, let's swing to the other side of the pendulum and highlight dirty play by the likes of Bill Laimbeer, John Stockton, 90s Knicks, etc.

Go ahead.
That dirty play is going to validate most of my points.
It would actually make my views look even stronger :lol:

My main point = Harder to put the ball in the basket then. More obstacles to overcome physically on the offensive side.

Those dirty players are more evidence for my case.

I dont condone flopping nor dont I like dirty play, BUT todays defense gives all the benefit of the doubt to the offensive player. Which I dont like at all.

I just prefer them to let some calls go.

Ex: Having forearm on someone when they back you up, hands on the hip, fronting your player, fighting for position, etc.

Last edited:
The sophistication and schematics of today's NBA defenses trump the 90s physicality.

Ya'll can have that over-physical, borderline dirty defense.

Last edited:
Defenses are far more complex and advanced nowadays, though. Sure.. if you got to the rim you might get body checked in the 90s and today that would get you ejected.. but the overall defensive schemes are superior. Just because it was more physical doesn't mean team defense is better.

Edit :lol: PMatic pretty much said the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Was this happening in 98'?

You still think today's nba hasn't been softer?

I mean seriously...
mean.gif
laugh.gif
The # of falls in this gif > the # of falls in the 4 you posted. 

Can you comment on this, you troll?

You probably think the Donald Sterling means the NBA is soft too. How does a ref ejecting Tim Duncan for no reason have anything to do with the quality of the talent in the league? It doesn't. You're just reaching and will continue to do so, even when presented with data. 

The sophistication and schematics of today's NBA defenses trump the 90s physicality.

Bro. Again.

I never said that dirty defense was more ENTERTAINING.
I never said that was more fun to watch. I just clearly stated today's nba is more entertaining a few posts ago.

All my main point was...is that you had to go through more walls to score a basket 15 years ago.

How is that an unfair statement?
I'm not advocating 93' basketball was so much for fun for us fans.

Baskets were HARDER to come by then. The dirty play you mentioned is more evidence of that.

Why is anyone disagreeing with that statement?

View media item 1027859

You probably think the Donald Sterling means the NBA is soft too. How does a ref ejecting Tim Duncan for no reason have anything to do with the quality of the talent in the league? It doesn't. You're just reaching and will continue to do so, even when presented with data. 

:nerd:

Bro. Again.

I never said that was more fun to watch. I just clearly stated today's nba is more entertaining a few posts ago.

All my main point was...is that you had to go through more walls to score a basket 15 years ago.

Baskets were HARDER to come by then. The dirty play you mentioned is more evidence of that.

But that's just it. Baskets were easier to come by in the 90's and everything supports this :lol:

I mean seriously... :smh: :lol:
View media item 1027859

Are you drunk? You were arguing with someone else about talent levels not me.

Go find my statements about level of talent, "troll."

Now we're putting words in people's mouths to strengthen our arguments? This is what the threads come to? :lol:

Jesus Christ you're a horrible person to debate with. Literally making **** up on the fly :lol:

Bro. Again.

But that's just it. Baskets were easier to come by in the 90's and everything supports this :lol:

AND THATS ALL IVE BEEN TRYING TO PROVE THESE LAST FEW POSTS.
But I'm trolling...

We're on the same page with that statement...but I'm trolling according to this galaxy guy
Sheesh :lol:

I mean seriously...
mean.gif
laugh.gif

Did you really just compare these two pushing each other down and tripping over each other to grown *** men throwing themselves on the ground when no one even touched them?

Bro. Again.

I'm not addressing the entertainment side of defenses then and now.

I mean seriously... :smh: :lol:
View media item 1027859

Did you really just compare these two pushing each other down and tripping over each other to grown *** men throwing themselves on the ground when no one even touched them?

Yes. Rodman and Malone 2 of the most physically dirty guys in the 90's... Constantly pulling each other down was his retort to my gifs of dudes throwing themselves to the ground pretending to be punched by ghosts.

Unbelievable :lol:

Are you drunk? You were arguing with someone else about talent levels not me.

Go find my statements about level of talent, "troll."

Now we're putting words in people's mouths to strengthen our arguments? This is what the threads come to?
laugh.gif

Jesus Christ you're a horrible person to debate with. Literally making **** up on the fly
laugh.gif
On the very last page you quoted, "The league is better  worse now than it was in the 90's, I don't know how anyone could reasonably argue otherwise."

Is that enough evidence that you believe the 90s are better than today? If that's not clear, why not just take a stance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom