2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the talk about the center position being dead in today's NBA, I would argue the depth of today > back in the 90s.

But at the top, the 90s centers does top today's centers.

For all the talk about the center position being dead in today's NBA, I would argue the depth of today > back in the 90s.

Hakeem, Smits, Ewing, Robinson, Divac, Mourning, Shaq, Daugherty

I'd say the depth and talent was better.

I honestly feel like OKB's whole shtick is to play Devils advocate. Since he's actually intelligent and makes some OK points in his arguments it goes over everyone's head that he's just a Hall of fame worthy troll.

you talk about expansion like the league aint supposed to grow

80 more international players doesnt mean anything when you talking about thabeet, hibbert, lin etc

and 3pt shooting increased as the league has moved away from size
1. of course 80 international players matters, those are 80 nba quality players who are better than American born players, who didn't exist in the 90's. more players = more talent. I mean are you watching the finals?

2. it is supposed to grow, but it grows because of money not because of the amount of talent available, the dream team made basektball the socnd most popular sport in the world, pretending like they didn't impact the game is ridiculous.

3. no, it increased because 3>2. I mean its really that simple. In took them like 40 years but coaches realized that 3 is more than 2.
quantity aint quality.

just cuz its a couple of ppl are in the finals (gino, parker and diaw) dont mean that every international player now is better than an american or international players from the 90's.

i dont understand your second point.   the dream team did a lot for the sport, so with an influx of more players there would have to be more teams right?

if the logic is 3>2, then why are the best shooters in history from the past era's and not today? we only have steph?

I honestly feel like OKB's whole shtick is to play Devils advocate. Since he's actually intelligent and makes some OK points in his arguments it goes over everyone's head that he's just a Hall of fame worthy troll.

you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

no but seriously, telling people 90's weren't the pinnacle of basketball is like telling people santa doesn't exist.

every thing I said is facts, you may like 90's basketball from an aesthetics point of view, thats fine, thats subjective, but the quality of play, the quality of coaching, the players are more skilled, european players, the quality of training, its better now.

Last edited:
how is he being idiotic, hes makin good points and backing them up
Nothing about what he said is good. It's idiocy and any body with any shred of sense would laugh at dude. The NBA's talent pool is the weakest it has been in 30 years. This man just said the NBA is better now than in the 90s. You call that a good point I call it pure idiocy.

Last edited:
how is he being idiotic, hes makin good points and backing them up

Dudes love to call out names when they're wrong. :lol:

NBA today > ever.

NBA in 10 years > today.

It's the natural process, things get better and more effecient as time goes on and in basketball it's happened 10 fold.

There's more talent in the league right now than there's ever been at any time in history.

We've never had players like Bron/KD/Westbrook/Rose/Wall/AD.

Y'all can stay in nostalgia land all you want but I'm going to enjoy all this greatness that we have in this beautiful game RIGHT NOW and in the future.

Dudes love to call out names when they're wrong.
laugh.gif

NBA today > ever.

NBA in 10 years > today.

It's the natural process, things get better and more effecient as time goes on and in basketball it's happened 10 fold.

There's more talent in the league right now than there's ever been at any time in history.

We've never had players like Bron/KD/Westbrook/Rose/Wall/AD.

Y'all can stay in nostalgia land all you want but I'm going to enjoy all this greatness that we have in this beautiful game RIGHT NOW and in the future.
roll.gif

Disclaimer: PER is not the end all-be all, but

2013-14: 14 centers with a minimum 15.0 PER that played at least 30 minutes per game (ignore Brook Lopez)
1993-94: 9 centers with a minimum 15.0 PER that played at least 30 minutes per game

Last edited:
quantity aint quality.

just cuz its a couple of ppl are in the finals (gino, parker and diaw) dont mean that every international player now is better than an american or international players from the 90's.

i dont understand your second point.   the dream team did a lot for the sport, so with an influx of more players there would have to be more teams right?

if the logic is 3>2, then why are the best shooters in history from the past era's and not today? we only have steph?

dude you are missing the Forrest for the trees.

You are focusing on individuals and ignoring the overall quality of play of the entire league.

shooting is better = fact. look at the percentages and the attempts, Reggie, and Mullin and guys like that stand out because they were so much better in comparison to everyone else.

in the 90's it wasn't uncommon to have a starting gaurd shoot sub 30% from 3, now it almost never happens.

Last edited:
I'm with OKB. If you could separate the frustrations fans have towards flopping and "super teams ruining the game", I think you'd have less claiming the 90s were better than now.

I don't care about PER I care about what my eyeballs see. Does Per take into account level of competition? Come on now be :lol:

yes it does.

I'm with OKB. If you could separate the frustrations fans have towards flopping and "super teams ruining the game", I think you'd have less claiming the 90s were better than now.

there is one "super team" the heat, and they had to scratch and claw to win 2, and the teams they faced in the finals were all teams with home grown players, OKC, SAS, Mavs.

If any thing its harder to assemble dominant teams because of the cap.

No ones saying 90's ball was more entertaining.

Some of us are saying the quality of basketball being played was on a higher level. You had to go through a lot more obstacles physically in order to put that ball in the basket.

How can anyone dispute that?

Entertainment wise? Sure you can argue lob city is more entertaining than bad boys type basketball.

Athletes are stronger, faster, jump higher. We get 10x more highlight plays now than ever before.

So entertainment wise? Sure you can have that... Today's nba gives more highlights for sure.

But how anyone can say the quality of professional basketball, game wise now, is up to par with what teams had to face back then...

That, is very hard to comprehend.

quantity aint quality.

dude you are missing the Forrest for the trees.

You are focusing on individuals and ignoring the overall quality of play of the entire league.

shooting is better = fact. look at the percentages and the attempts, Reggie, and Mullin and guys like that stand out because they were so much better in comparison to everyone else.

in the 90's it wasn't uncommon to have a starting gaurd shoot sub 30% from 3, now it almost never happens.
im not, you brought up the finals

there have been so many international busts that for every gem like dirk there are 20 nikolov tshivilli's and darko milicics

overall, how many international players are killing today vs back then?  id guess there are the same amount of good int'l players then as now.

saying that hofer's like reggie are only good in comparison to "everyone else" is the point.  thats why theyre hof.

the reason nobody shoots sub 30 from 3 now is because they arent as good shooters now.  

Mix todays offense with 90s defense. Now thats a product. :smokin

90's defense = a lot of fouling. The Defense in today's NBA is actually better. 90's defense was full of perimeter players using their hands and forearms to ride players off the bounce. That's called hand checking which is, and should have always been a foul. You play defense with your feet, not your hands.

Last edited:
90's defense = a lot of fouling. The Defense in today's NBA is actually better. 90's defense was full of perimeter players using their hands and forearms to ride players off the bounce. That's called hand checking which is, and should have always been a foul. You play defense with your feet, not your hands.
Actually you play defense with your feet and your hands. The NBA has gone soft in an effort to up entertainment value. 

yes it does.

It does? Well that has to be a pretty flawed metric then. There is noway I'm going to take that stat analysis serious when there are like 2 legit centers in the NBA right now. I'd like to know the list of these 18 centers?
I edited my criteria to narrow down the list to centers with at least a 15.0 PER that played at least 30 minutes per game in that year.

See below:

yes it does.

It does? Well that has to be a pretty flawed metric then. There is noway I'm going to take that stat analysis serious when there are like 2 legit centers in the NBA right now. I'd like to know the list of these 18 centers?
[/quote
I edited the criteria in the post with centers with a minimum 15.0 PER that played at least 30 minutes per game.

Disclaimer: PER is not the end all-be all, but

2013-14: 14 centers with a minimum 15.0 PER that played at least 30 minutes per game (ignore Brook Lopez)
1993-94: 9 centers with a minimum 15.0 PER that played at least 30 minutes per game

Last edited:
Actually you play defense with your feet and your hands. The NBA has gone soft in an effort to up entertainment value. 

No. You do not play defense with your hands. Did you play ball growing up :lol: ?

The NBA hasn't gone soft. They just are off the OD hard, physical play that was prevalent in the 90's.

Thanks for the list and as I suspected that entire list would be food in the 90s. Majority of those dudes are not even centers. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom