2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season especially was a joke. Everyone had the Pacers-Heat in the ECF, despite the Pacers' poor finish. Eastern Conference basketball was straight pitiful this season, just embarrassing.

The funny thing is, Heat wouldn't have even made the finals if they had the path San Antonio had.

But they get all that praise for 4 finals in a row.

They finally play their first real basketball team of the playoffs and they're getting torn apart.
They are so extremely lucky they're out east.

In the west, the Big 3 would of no doubt been called a failure (assuming they go on and lose this series.)

Yep

In 98' the bulls opened the playoffs against the New Jersey nets...they were 43-39. They won 3-0. Then they won 3-1 against ATL. Their only competition was the Pacers that year. The east in 98 had 2 seeds make the playoffs with 43 wins. Meanwhile, in 97 and 98 the Jazz were playing teams like the Lakers, Houston, and San Antonio.

Let's discredit them too then :rolleyes

You really wanna compare 2014 basketball to a whole other generation of basketball bro?

I didn't wanna get into it but c'mon bro.

Be smart. You're not a stupid poster.

Basketball in 98 was never a cake walk, against anyone.
In 2014 you get technicals for smiling at refs. That's how soft ***** gotten.
In 98 it would take knocking dudes out to be t'ed up.

Every game was physical.
Every game was competitive in the 90's even if the score said otherwise.

Hand check fouls? LOL. YEAH... Right.

360 degree spin flops?
Et tu Joey Crawford begging for fouls?
LOL

Comparing 96 sonics and their physical path to the finals, to the 2014 Heat and their cake walk baby butt soft *** path is ludicrous.

Do I really have to go into any further detail as to why?
You know why.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be a $&@", but this thread has been terrible the last couple days.

You really wanna compare 2014 basketball to a whole other generation of basketball bro?

Every game was physical.

360 degree spin flops?

LOL

Comparing 96 sonics and their physical path to the finals, to the 2014 Heat and their cake walk baby butt soft *** path is ludicrous.

You know why.
I hope your first 13k posts weren't as bad as this one.

I'll bold my favorite parts of this thread. By favorite, I mean the ones that would be easy arguments on the LSAT/GMAT/GRE to weaken. It's like you're not even trying dawg!

Every game was physical.

360 degree spin flops?

LOL

You know why.

I'll bold my favorite parts of this thread. By favorite, I mean the ones that would be easy arguments on the LSAT/GMAT/GRE to weaken. It's like you're not even trying dawg!

Oh cool, a joke towards my post count.
Great response to my points.
Thanks for discussing.

Every game was physical.

360 degree spin flops?

LOL

You know why.

Oh cool, a joke towards my post count.
Great response to my points.
Thanks for discussing.

C'mon you should know better than posting in this thread with all the nba experts :lol:

Bottomline: It's a moot point to bring up The Heat's path to the finals. "Oh they play in the east" "Oh they wouldn't have gotten out of the west if they played the west" nobody says **** about the bulls path to the finals in their championship years. Playing New Jersey, Charlotte, Washington, Atlanta. Come on man, if we're going to be fair those teams had NO SHOT of beating the bulls and wouldn't have even made the playoffs with a West Coast schedule.

There were filler teams then and there are filler teams now. The East has been bad for awhile. Were they as bad as the east is now? No but the East is always going to be a much easier path to the finals then the west but somehow only Lebron gets knocked for playing in the east...

It is a moot point unless people bring up going to 4 finals. Winning chips is winning chips. But if you're going to celebrate getting to the finals context is important.

Greg Monroe hoping and praying to get out of Detroit
laugh.gif

"From what I have been told, it'll be like that (college recruiting) a little bit," Monroe said. "But the NBA has really strict rules and you can't talk about it until July 1. Different things come out about teams who are interested, but I won't know for sure until July 1 when I can actually talk to them."

"I'm hoping and praying that I will have some options. As it looks right now I will have some. But I am just preparing myself and doing the normal things that I would around this time, working out. And on July 1, I'll be with my agent and we'll go through the process together."

It is a moot point unless people bring up going to 4 finals. Winning chips is winning chips. But if you're going to celebrate getting to the finals context is important.

Not really. 4 straight finals is impressive as hell. Point blank period. Even with the East being as bad as it's been for over a decade, there's a reason it's been how many years since it's been done.

I'll ask a few questions:

1) If the league was so competitive back then, why did the Dream Team win by 50 a game with washed up Bird, Magic, etc? Could this mean that ::dun dun dun:: the international game has improved exponentially since 92 which has caused an increase in the competitiveness of the game globally? ::MIND BLOWN:: Let your simpleton mind process that. Now look at the 2011 Finals or even this year's and see which players are dominating...how many are not from the US? Now tell me how many dominant international Hall of Fame talent players MJ faced? I'm not using MJ as an example to belittle what he, the Bulls, etc did...but it's the easiest example since you guys are clearly MJ fanboys and not necessarily fans of 90s basketball.

2) Compare the talent of the Spurs starting 5 to any of the starting 5s that MJ faced in the Finals. No matter how you slice it, domestic/international/bald/skinny/fat....these guys are better. Let's even use the 2008 or 2010 Celtics squad. 3 first ballot hall of famers in their prime on 1 squad? Power tip for both of you trolls: you can google 1996 Jazz roster since you both are senile and are living in the past.

3) Reffing has nothing to do with competitiveness. If you think LeBron / KD / etc are getting calls now, go look at the top 10 career free throw attempts. Subtract Shaq and the only 2000s player on the list is Kobe. Meanwhile, Barkley and MJ are both top 10. So your ref argument = a bit overblown.

4) Physical play has nothing to do with anything. How many rings did Wilt win? How many rings did Barkley win? Skill > physical play 99/100 (the 1 time being the 04 Pistons LOL). 

5) How can an era that was so bad just have the best PF of all time, 2 of the top 3 SG of all time, the 2 most dominant SF of all time (and a slew of other athletic freaks that are improving every year and a guy named Melo), and the golden era of point guards? And we also have big men that shoot the 3 ball not just adequately, but better than your hero MJ did (again, using MJ as an example for context). Do you really think Luc Longley would get playing time for either Finals squads this year? LOL. Do you really think Kerr > Ray Allen? I mean the list goes on and on. 

Why don't you guys actually watch some late 80s or early 90s games, they have compete ones on YouTube. The players then were less skilled, definitely less athletic, and the schemes were not as advanced. Some of it is truly cringe-worthy.

I think a few reasons the above are true is that training methods & supplements today are superior, younger players are playing around the clock (AAU, etc), access to film/technology are better than ever, and international play is clearly better than ever.

If you want to add all those up and you somehow sum up "90s Bulls for life, basketball today sucks!" then I don't know what to tell you. Dead srs. 

Like I said, YouTube a late 80s or early 90s NBA game. The film is there. It'll likely be the first time you've seen it since you guys are probably not in your mid 30s.

Not really. 4 straight finals is impressive as hell. Point blank period. Even with the East being as bad as it's been for over a decade, there's a reason it's been how many years since it's been done.

I don't tip, I pay bills, ******* call me Buffalo.

Thank you.
Someone understands the main point.

I took nothing away from their 2 chips.

I clearly started everything by bringing up the praise for "4 straight finals."
That's it.

And my point is getting to the finals in today's game in the east, shouldn't be so highly praised.
I'd be saying the same thing if the Pacers made it.

The fact that the pacers were the 1 seed was the biggest joke that said it all.
How can a team with 0 offensive stability be the 1 seed in any conference?

Just sayin man.
Props to the Heat for 2 chips.
But let's not act like finals trips are anything close to actually winning the finals.

2 failed finals trips for Kobe are still 2 failed finals trips.
Who have you heard praise him for "at least getting there."
No one.

Yet... The Heat are automatically given the "win or lose 4 finals trips is success" praise even though their 4th trip is arguably one of the easiest roads any teams EVER had to a finals.

I don't give The Lakers praise for those 2 finals losses, we got our ***** kicked In 2004 and again in 2009. No excuses. We were not the best team. We lost. Seasons were not successful.

So why are these finals trips for the heat so successful without winning them?
Why?
Because they swept the bobcats?

Just give me some real valid points for why going to this years finals and not winning would be a success?
Without resorting to immature post count remarks or anything.

I'm here to discuss.
If you have points, real points, I'm listening.
I'm not the kinds guy who takes a stand then runs away.

Just waiting for someone to give me a reasonable answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom