2010 NBA Trade Deadline thread

Originally Posted by xblker47

Originally Posted by Steve212

roll.gif
@ heads rainin' on the Knicks parade. Yall scared your star player(s) will wear the orange and blue next season
laugh.gif

no, its actually true. our core isnt looking too great.

i hope jordan developes to at least a 15/8 guy.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Kings ain't done....we still have Kenny Thomas expiring and are looking to trade him and Nocioni.........Boston for Ray Ray?

Now why the hell would the Celtics do that?  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Homers FTL.
A) The Celts actually want Nocioni.
B) Thomas would just be a filler, as he is an expiring contract.
C) Boston is unsure whether or not they want to keep Ray Allen around.

You sir are an idiot.
The Celtics are thinking about trading Ray Allen so they can get a young, athletic scorer.....but yeah....they want Andres Nocioni.  I understand Thomas is an expiring contract.  But the Celtics only make the Allen trade if they are still competitive this year, and can get younger.  Your idea does neither for them.  Its not like the Celts are DYING to make a trade to get Allen off the books.  He is still a key part of a team that is one of the better ones in the NBA.
Yet I'M the idiot.  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
happy.gif
The point i was trying to make is that the proposed deal was not a Homer call.
Just so we are clear, you are saying that dude says a trade idea that....
A) his team would get the best player

B) his team would get a huge expiring contract

C) the other team would get 2 mediocre (at best) players

D) the 2 players that the other team would get are NOT the type of players they have gone on record to want

E) the other team is in the thick of the playoff race and the trade would severely hurt their chances of doing anything in it

.....and thats not a Homer call?  Ok.
I'm just tryin to say its not totally far fetched. Although I also see how this trade wouldnt be so hot for the Celts. Perhaps I'm a homer as well
laugh.gif
its all love man
smile.gif

I'm glad everyone is sure of what these guys are doing.

Shoulda gave the memo to Donnie Walsh.

My opinion is he's a hell of a lot smarter than anyone on here and he must be pretty damn confident he's coming away with something.

if the Knicks don't land Bron in the offseason, at least yall have the other Ohio hs stud turned dud - Bill Walker.
laugh.gif
. i'm not even sure whose knees are worse, Walkers or McGradys?

Originally Posted by BangDak

roll.gif
@ heads rainin' on the Knicks parade. Yall scared your star player(s) will wear the orange and blue next season
laugh.gif

Because you like him as a player? Cause he's not with the Knicks anymore, right?

This was what Walsh envisioned would happen by this summer (albeit w/o moving Curry). This is what he wanted. Now he's got to start making his moves towards the summer. It would be rough to strike out completely this summer but next summer is a good class as well. There's no way Donnie panicks and give the max to a player like Johnson or Gay. This was the plan from the get go now just gotta see where it goes from here.

T-Mac is finally free.
pimp.gif

Though I didn't like him giving up Landry, Morey did really well at the trade deadline.

Mark my words - Joe Johnson is going to the Knicks this summer.

LeBron will stay in Cleveland. He doesn't need to be in NYC to grow his stardom with the modern day power of international marketing and the internet. As long as he's still selling shoes in China, he's good.

Wade will either stay in Miami or go home to Chicago. I don't see any reason for him to go anywhere else.

NY doesn't make sense for either at this stage in their careers. Both would have to wait for the team to rebuild, because even after adding James/Wade and Bosh, the rest of the Knicks will still suck (outside of Lee).

JJ + Bosh + Lee + a locker room full of dirty, worthless NBA laundry will be entertaining for everyone, and something Knicks fans grounded in reality should be pulling for.

I don't understand why people think the Knicks one and only plan is LeBron, LeBron, LeBron...

With potentially room for two max deals, they're gonna be attractive as hell to guys on the market... Wade, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Johnson, Ray Felton, Rudy Gay, Manu, Boozer...

Some of those guys aren't max deal guys, but there are PLENTY of options... Do they hold Bird Rights on Harrington and/or Lee? Obviously they will on McGrady, so if he shows anything he may be worth bringing back...

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

roll.gif
laugh.gif

Because you like him as a player? Cause he's not with the Knicks anymore, right?
indifferent.gif

save it bro.

we dont hold the birds rights to lee because we signed him to a 1 y ear deal.

I posted this in the Knicks thread, but for anyone interested who might not go in there, I'll post it here anyway.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Here's the best true breakdown of the cap situation going into this summer.

http://www.hoopdata.com/recent.aspx?aid=158

According to Yahoo! Sports, the Knicks are rumored to be making the following trade with the Houston Rockets in the coming days: Larry Hughes, Jared Jeffries, Jordan Hill, and a bunch of draft picks for Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook, and Joey Dorsey. Various reports have been thrown around about how far under the cap the Knicks will be, but here is the reality of the situation:

First and foremost, the Knicks have 17,782,904 in guaranteed salaries between Curry, Gallinari, Douglas, and Chandler. After that, a cap hold is put in place for each roster spot under 12, filling in some of the Knicks' projected cap space. Because a team must have 12 players under contract at all times in the regular season, the CBA makes sure teams account for the minimum contracts they must use to fill out their roster before they use their cap space. The minimum rookie contract for the 10-11 season is 490,180. The Knicks thus also have 3,921,440 in cap holds (8 roster spots) to add to their salary in the offseason, putting them at a total of 21,704,344.

Teams are currently projecting the salary cap next season to be approximately 53,000,000, so under that projection, the Knicks would have 31,295,656 in cap space available. To free up a little more cap space, the Knicks can opt to buyout Eddy Curry's 11,276,863 contract. Because the minimum salary for a 10-year player is 1,399,507, Curry and his agent should agree to a buyout saving the Knicks that amount, a deal that is in both of their best interests and will not lose Curry any money, assuming he finds someone to sign him to a minimum deal (and the league pays a good portion of the minimum deals for veterans – a team will actually only have to flesh out 788,872 for Curry, with the league covering the rest).

Assuming the Knicks and Curry agree to the buyout as stated above, that would net the Knicks cap savings of 909,327, because they'd have to add yet another cap hold to account for Curry no longer being there. This would put the Knicks up to 32,204,983 in cap space. If the goal is to sign two max players, you can also deduct two roster spot cap holds from the team's guaranteed salary, seeing how the max players would be filling those voids, so that brings the cap space up to 33,185,343.

With the cap for 2010 projected at approximately 53 million, the max contract for Lebron, Bosh, or Wade would be 16,568,908. Seeing how 16,568,908 * 2 is 33,137,816, the Knicks would have just enough space available (by a mere 50,000) to sign two max players to deals, but nothing else beyond that.

In full, under this projection, the Knicks would have two max contract players, Gallinari, Douglas, Chandler, and then ten minimum contract players to round things out. That is all they would be able to add. There is no MLE, there are no Bird Rights for David Lee and Nate Robinson, there is nothing else. In order to use your cap space, you must renounce all your exceptions, including the MLE and any player Bird Rights you have.

Some random notes: Amare and Joe Johnson could both yield higher max offers than Lebron, Bosh, and Wade, as Amare's salary this season is higher and Johnson has 10 years of service in the league, entitling him to a higher first year salary, but it's doubtful anyone offers them deals starting at higher than the big three, meaning you can probably swap them into any scenario under the same price. Rudy Gay, on the other hand, would have a max deal starting at 25% of the cap or 13,250,000, so if the Knicks can only grab one of the big five players and want to add Gay as their second star, they'd be able to save 3,318,908 in doing so, meaning they could then add a free agent for that amount plus a cap hold (for a total of a 3,809,088 starting salary).

All of these numbers are based on a cap set at 53million. If the cap were slightly higher, it'd give the Knicks a little more breathing room in signing two maxes. It it were any lower than 53million, it's unlikely the Knicks would be able to sign two maxes unless they got Curry to agree to a smaller buyout or traded away one of their young players for no salary in return.

An interesting angle to watch in all this is what happens if Amare goes to Cleveland, Amare and Lebron both re-sign there after winning a championship, the Heat miss the playoffs, and the Raptors get knocked out in the first round. I don't think you'd find anyone around who would think that Bosh or Wade alone could build a team strong enough to knock off those Cavs (or even the Lakers or other teams), so it may become a necessity for Bosh and Wade to team up if they want to have a legitimate shot at winning a title in the near future.

As things stack up right now, the only two teams capable of offering max deals to both Bosh and Wade would be the Knicks and Heat (though Chicago and New Jersey are capable of maneuvering to that point with extremely aggressive moves in the next few days). Regardless, comparing the Knicks' situation to the Heat's situation, the Knicks will have a core of Gallinari, Chandler, and Douglas, while the Heat will have a core of Beasley, Cook, and Chalmers, though the Heat have a little more cap space and a first round pick to add to the mix. Still, with the allure of New York City and Gallinari being the best player of those named, it definitely makes a strong case for Bosh and Wade choosing New York over Miami. It's a big risk for the Knicks to take, but unlike those taken by Isiah Thomas, there actually is upside to this one.
It's a lengthy read, but I urge Knicks fans to read it in order to understand the true nature of the cap and what our realistic options are.

Originally Posted by franchise3

In for the Knicks landing the #2 pick in 2011 and Knicks fans jumping off ledges
Soon as I saw the stipulations to the protected picks, I thought of situations like this...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i dont even like the knicks but there plan all along has been to have money for 2 max players and he has done that. even my hating self will give walsh for doing that

It would be rough to strike out completely this summer but next summer is a good class as well. There's no way Donnie panicks and give the max to a player like Johnson or Gay.
but this is bull $!*@, i told allen the same crap in the offseason, if he strikes out on the likes of wade,bosh and bron he would have no choice but to throw max deals at them type of guys

FantasyTillery My sources are telling me the Griz have traded Jamaal Tinsley, Marcus Williams and OJ Mayo to Cleveland for LeBron James. 23 minutes ago from UberTwitter

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NoReasonableDoubt

roll.gif
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

save it bro.

we dont hold the birds rights to lee because we signed him to a 1 y ear deal.

What the hell. I was confused cause people in here yelling "and they kept Hill!" and ##%#. You need to relax. And I'm not sure why you're talking about Lee.

Back
Top Bottom